• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I've got a WICKED magic hangover." Trip Report ***FINISHED 12/7***

I am just amazed that you were able to make that long drive (almost three times the length of our ride down to Orlando) in one go! I would have been screaming by the end of it! :scared:

We did surprisingly well! I think it was the whole mentality of the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel!

Wow Julia! That is some drive! We drove it from Virginia in November and it was about 12 hours (supposed to be 11, but we hit some traffic) but I think if we did it again, we would attempt the through the night thing! It would be nice to save the money from airfare (plus I hate to fly :scared1: ), so it would suit me! Shawn....not so much.:sad2: But he could get over it, right? He would probably tell me "you drive with the kids, and I'll meet you!" And then jump on a plane! :rolleyes1

He sounds a lot like your DH - electronics, electronics, electronics...

Can't wait to hear about your first "real" day at Disney World! :dance3:

Sara

Oh yes, you never go anywhere without the electronics.

Gotta love those DVD players for a long trip. That is a lifesaver!

Whoever came up with that was genius. However, whoever came up with controlling headphone capability through a remote that could get lost was an idiot.

Yayyy a chapter! Kudos to making that long of a drive in one shot but what i think is even more impressive is that the kids lasted that long! I know they were sleeping and stuff but still, thats a long drive for them too. Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Yes, we were very impressed with the kids, as well.

I hate that drive. We are in Indiana so I know how long it can take for that ride. We usually fly because of the timing...but if prices keep going up I can forsee a time when we will be driving again.

Electronics....must be a man thing..:rotfl: My DH is the same way...PSP, DS for DS, DVD, phones, chargers and of course the lap top....and that is just for a couple hour drive....I have been banned from taking "my" laptop with me since he is not going....he asked me to leave it at home for him so he is not as he puts it.."tied to the desktop."

I an excited to read chapter 2 and see your pics of the world.!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

By the end of the drive home, the kids were bored with all their options though, I must say.... :sad2:

Yuck. I thought our 16 hour drive was bad. We also drive all night, and it works well for us, and we usually don't get lost until we get to Orlando. One of these days we'll figure it out! Looking forward to hearing more, and seeing some pictures.:thumbsup2

We couldn't believe what the driving was like once we got to the World, and Orlando. Just insane. Thank goodness for GPS! :thumbsup2

So after hitting about an HOUR of torrential downpour rain on the way into Orlando, we FINALLY arrived into Orlando.

We stopped at the first McDonald's we saw, because we were starving, and I was super annioyed with that hour of driving. It turned out to be a motorcycle-themed McDonald's with a HUGE children's play area/arcade.
ArrivalWDW001.jpg

The arcade games were played with a card that you preloaded with credits. The kids took turns with the credits, collected tickets, fed them into a machine, and came away with a few little prizes they picked out. Very preferable to some snotty kid behind a ticket prize counter, IMO. Also, we left w/two tickets and the re-loadable card, which is a nice little souvie for the scrapbook. :thumbsup2

We let them play as long as they like, as they had been SO GOOD in the car.

This McDonald's is the one at 5400 S. Kirkman Rd., here is there website: CLICK HERE. I really recommend it. We ate usual fare, but it was nice to see healthier options on the menu as well.

ArrivalWDW006.jpg

ArrivalWDW004.jpg

After that, we headed to the hotel. The Clarion Maingate.

ClarionHotel.jpg

The kids were SO EXCITED. You could stay at any hotel and they would be SO EXCITED.

ArrivalWDW008.jpg

As many of you know, I was REALLY not happy with this hotel originally. I had a ton in mind, but decided on a whim to do Priceline. I secured this room for $40 a night. So, it was a place to sleep. With research, I was happy to find out it was close to the parks, could easily access World Drive via a shortcut through the parking lot behind the hotel, and had a fridge and microwave. :thumbsup2

HOWEVER, upon check in, despite having confirmed said microwave and fridge by phone two weeks earlier, I was informed that those were not available with Priceline bookings, unless I wanted to pay an addt'l $10 a night. :headache: Not unreasonable, however, I just wanted to get settled, and save that $40 for souvies, kwim? So DH and I decided that we prolly wouldn't eat in the room even WITH those amenities, and keep the cooler loaded with ice. :confused3

The room itself was fine. Two fulls though, and after DS woke up 1/2-way through the night the first night and joined DH and I, I switched sleeping arrangements to Mom/DD, and Dad/DS. Much roomier for me, not so much for DH. :laughing:

Here's the hotel/room, in case your interested.

ArrivalWDW010.jpg

ArrivalWDW009.jpg

ArrivalWDW011.jpg

ArrivalWDW015.jpg

.................................CONT........................

............................CONT'D.....................................

After settling into our room, we headed to Downtown Disney! :banana:

According to my visual itinerary, we were going to TRY to maybe do the Boardwalk or Poly for fireworks for this first night. However, I'd noted on the way down that I'd never squeezed in Downtown Disney ANYWHERE, and since I'd heard it was way bigger & better than DLR's could ever dream... I really wanted to see the mega-ness of World of Disney, as well as Pin Traders, etc.

So when DH suggested DtD... I was excited! Especially since he had any suggestion at ALL, I thought, OK, maybe he's getting into the spirit of this! :goodvibes

Here we are in front of a topiary. Now, who can tell me, is this Pooh w/a honey pot or Mickey pouring out something? This was great debate between the kids, DH and I.

DtD2.jpg

DtD1.jpg

Ok, so first-timers opinion of Downtown Disney..... erm....a shopper's mecca. LOL.

In "Once Upon a Toy", the kids experienced Magic Moments #1 and #2. They walked in and began playing with Mr. Potato Head parts immediately. The cast members saw them and said, "Whatcha doin?" and they said, "Seeing who can make the silliest Potato Head." and they asked DD and DS to be JUDGES in a contest between the cast members! :goodvibes :goodvibes So, as judges, they not only picked the "winner" but they also got certificate keepsakes, and got to pick out a pin each! Rach picked out Cinderella reading a book, and Ebin picked out Stitch on Space Mountain!

Here they are with their certificates:

DtD3.jpg

Now, while they were doing this, I was at the Pin Cart outside the store. I really enjoyed the Pin cart. I had never seen so many different designs ever. I really hummed and hawed about this. I wasn't trading- but collecting on my first lanyard. I agonized. I picked out some pins for myself, DD, and DS. Not for DH because he wasn't doing pin-trading or collecting. Now, when I asked him months before we left if he wanted to get a lanyard and some starter pins, you shoulda seen the look he gave me. :scared: Rember that for later. :rolleyes1 I'll show you what we got in the "Souvies" section at the end. ;) Gotta keep you hanging, somehow, right?

DtD4.jpg

I didn't get to enjoy "World of" so much, as the kids were excitedly pulling me in a million directions. Guess that's one for a future trip.... ;) Ebin picked out souvies for his little brother and his maternal grandpa back home. Jim bought a $6 beer. :scared1: I picked up a pin for my best gal pal at work and a pen for another nurse at work who'd let me pixie-dust myself daily with her Disneyland pen for the last 8 mos. I was mulling over the many mickey-handled kitchen-tools at "Everything 10 or less" when DH dragged us out of there. :headache:

I forgot to mention, that after the Potato Head contest, the kids discovered the wonder that is the make-your-own-light-saber station. Which, to the tune of $21.50 each, was DH's dream toy. He managed to hornswaggle Rachael into thinking she wanted one too. This is magic moment #2. When they were checking out, the cast member told them they got to pick out Sith or Jedi pins! Rachael picked Jedi, Ebin picked Sith. :thumbsup2

We got Goofy's Glaciers at Goofy's Candy Co. and mozied out of there in the drizzling rain.

06b%20614.jpg

Happy with our purchases and looking forward to a good night's sleep in real beds in anticipation of our next morning @ 1900 Park Fare!

Our own little Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum:

DtD6.jpg

Sweet Dreams await... :wizard:

Right on! Sounds like a great first evening. I feel an additional lanyard coming on! :rotfl2:

Oh, I am so guessing that DH ends up wanting a lanyard!!!

That is so great about the Magical Moments for the kids -- how cool!!! And on your first night at Disney!

Aw, the kids look so happy!!! Sounds like a great first night!:thumbsup2 Kids are so funny. They get so excited to stay at a hotel. My kids are like that too. They love adventure! Can't wait to hear about you first park day!

Great start to your tr!

Your kids look so excited and happy!!!
Even after that long car ride.

Sounds like you had lots of fun at DTD!
Yay! for the first magical moments!

What a long car ride!! My DH and I used to make a similar trek from Minneapolis to Austin, TX all at once, we did it a few times and it would really wipe us out! Your children are adorable and I can't wait to hear more!!

Sorry to hear about the lack of fridge and micro but it looks like it turned out well anyway...and the hotel looks nice! Clean and neat and like you said, the kids probably couldn't care less because they just love hotels haha :laughing: I'm so happy for them that they got those 2 magical moments and 2 free pins each! What a way to start off the trip!:thumbsup2

Nothing like DTD to start a trip off right....;) We have planned it for the 30th during the day before we do MNSSHP. Figured that would be a good day for it...now lets hope I don't spend all my money in one place!!!:rotfl2:

Sounds like the you guys bounced back nicely after that drive....I think I would have been in bed crashed....

Waiting patiently for next installment....popcorn::

Oh, I am so guessing that DH ends up wanting a lanyard!!!

That is so great about the Magical Moments for the kids -- how cool!!! And on your first night at Disney!

We ended up having quite a few magical moments on this trip. Which sure sweetened the deal w/DH... as you'll see! ;)

Aw, the kids look so happy!!! Sounds like a great first night!:thumbsup2 Kids are so funny. They get so excited to stay at a hotel. My kids are like that too. They love adventure! Can't wait to hear about you first park day!

They do look so happy, don't they?! I love it.

And you know what? Come to think of it, I love staying at hotels too! :yay: It's always nice when someone else cleans up after you and gives you clean dishes and towels every day!

Great report so far, can't wait for the next installment! :thumbsup2

Thanks! :welcome:

Great start to your tr!

Your kids look so excited and happy!!!
Even after that long car ride.

Sounds like you had lots of fun at DTD!
Yay! for the first magical moments!

Hi, Kathleen! I haven't made it very far in your Sept. TR, but I've been tryin! I really can't believe how good they were, they were wonderful! :goodvibes

What a long car ride!! My DH and I used to make a similar trek from Minneapolis to Austin, TX all at once, we did it a few times and it would really wipe us out! Your children are adorable and I can't wait to hear more!!

:wave2: Wow! That's an even longer trek, I think! Next update will most likely be on Thursday! :cool1:

Sorry to hear about the lack of fridge and micro but it looks like it turned out well anyway...and the hotel looks nice! Clean and neat and like you said, the kids probably couldn't care less because they just love hotels haha :laughing: I'm so happy for them that they got those 2 magical moments and 2 free pins each! What a way to start off the trip!:thumbsup2

I'm happy w/the hotel. We had the top floor (I requested that) which was 5th floor, and it was QUIET. I never heard another family the whole time. Also, they redid their pool from the pix on tripadvisor, and it's decent now. They must use saltwater instead of chloriine because it wasn't stingy for the eyes or stinky at all and was SOOO warm when we swam!

Nothing like DTD to start a trip off right....;) We have planned it for the 30th during the day before we do MNSSHP. Figured that would be a good day for it...now lets hope I don't spend all my money in one place!!!:rotfl2:

Sounds like the you guys bounced back nicely after that drive....I think I would have been in bed crashed....

Waiting patiently for next installment....popcorn::

Yes, it was a great beginning to the trip. Cute photo-ops abounds. Fun shopping. Lots of happy excited people milling around. We crashed back at the hotel about 8:30-ish, I think.

I can't imagine driving all that way without stopping - what great troopers you all were!!

I'm glad you were happy with your off-site hotel - great rates too! I've contemplated staying offsite to save money but I love the ease of Disney transportation too much (plus when we went in 1997 & rented a car, we never used it except to go back and forth to airport. There were 12 of us for 10 days and I thought having a car would be easier.)

Your kids are adorable! Am anxious to read the next chapter!

I can't imagine driving all that way without stopping - what great troopers you all were!!

I'm glad you were happy with your off-site hotel - great rates too! I've contemplated staying offsite to save money but I love the ease of Disney transportation too much (plus when we went in 1997 & rented a car, we never used it except to go back and forth to airport. There were 12 of us for 10 days and I thought having a car would be easier.)

Your kids are adorable! Am anxious to read the next chapter!

I think with our proximity, it was good, otherwise, I def. wanna try on-site for a next trip, as I just hated the driving down there! The idea of the busses just being there for me would be fantastic!

:welcome: Working on the next installment for today.

I woke up BEFORE the alarm clock, of course, on the morning of Oct. 10th. We had a 9:45 reservation for 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian with Mary Poppins & Friends. I made coffee after checking my reservation times and the weather forecast for the day.

Yikes! Rain. So.... rain all the way into Orlando. Rain drizzling all evening at DtD.... raining as we fell asleep on those wonnnnnnderful pillows at our hotel the night before. Were we seriously going to be rained on this whole trip? And more importantly- tonight, during MNSSHP?:sad2:

With a sigh, I decided I'd just have to get rain ponchos, I guess and started my shower. The kids were getting up as I was getting out and I got them both bathed and dressed. DH was drrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaggggging his feet. He was TIRED. Surprisingly, I got them all out of the hotel my 8:45. We got to the parking lot of MK and DH was very confused about what was going on.

We had to park at one place, only to get on a monorail to get to where we wanted to go? We WERE going to try to go straight to GF, but to be honest, we got lost and somehow found our cars going with the flow to MK. So :confused3 whatever, thanks to the DIS :disrocks: I knew we could park there and take the monorail.

WELL.... once we got the the parking lot, we found out we first had to board trams to get to the TTC, where the monorail would be! Oh yea, I'd read that on the DIS too! :idea: Seriously, thank goodness I decided to research my trip before going. I can't imagine how much time and confusion people go through if they just pack up and head to the World with no clue of how it all works. DH had absolutely no recollection of any of this stuff as a kid. Which I was happy about- cuz it was like we were going through it together! :cutie:

Once we finally got to the TTC, we headed towards the monorail. DH followed the crowd, of course, and I quickly veered him in the direction of the RESORT monorail. Something I learned about my husband during this trip was that HE DOESN'T READ SIGNS. This will come into play later in our trip. :rolleyes1

So as we are the first in line for the monorail to the resorts, we notice the cast member is from Gary, Indiana. DH spent some years growing up, and was born in, Hammond, Indiana and East Chicago, IN, which is a neighbor to Gary, so they started chatting. When the monorail arrived, she directed us to.....

The first car! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I nearly ran as I took the kids hands and told them how special this was, and that not everyone gets to ride the front car of the monorail. The driver's name was Tom, and he was ALSO from a city near DH's hometown, DH was just tickled. The kids were beyond excited, and mom was grinning ear-to-ear. Magic Moment #3!!

Monorail1-1.jpg

Monorail2-1.jpg

Monorail6-1.jpg

The next exciting sight was of the Grand Floridian. Man, is that one seriously pretty resort. I told the kids that's where we're having breakfast and they were even more excited!

Monorail4.jpg

We recieved our monorail licenses and headed into the GF.

Monorail7.jpg

ParkFareA.jpg

Believe it or not, DH is stealing the computer from me right now, so I'll have to finish this update tommorow. But I'm sick anyway and plan on calling in right at 6am so after the kids go to school, I'll have all day to sleep and update. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter