It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! **COMPLETE!**

Mrs B.

Your reviews have been wonderful so far, but if there was one thing guaranteed to make me a fan it was your pictures of Raglan Road's Celtic Sangria!!! Best drink I've ever had there. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Mrs B.

Your reviews have been wonderful so far, but if there was one thing guaranteed to make me a fan it was your pictures of Raglan Road's Celtic Sangria!!! Best drink I've ever had there. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Hi Brenda, and thanks for dropping by! I'm a big fan of yours, I've read, drooled over and laughed at all your reviews and am eagerly awaiting the next one. I hope you have another trip planned soon? :goodvibes

I couldn't agree more about the Celtic Sangria. It goes down soooo easy, you could sit and drink a few of them before realizing you don't have legs any more. ;)

Thanks for reading and taking the time to post!

What fabulous reviews!
THANK YOU. :) :) :) :)
We cant wait to go to Raglan Road. Yum! :goodvibes

Thank you! You'll love Raglan Road, have a Celtic Sangria for me! :thumbsup2

Day 9: Le Cellier

This day didn’t start off well. We had originally planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon in the morning but DD woke up feeling very unwell. She didn’t want to do anything other than stay in bed so we decided to just spend the morning at the resort. After breakfast, DH and I took a leisurely stroll over to Riverside and had fun exploring that resort and looking around their gift shop. After we came back, Cheryl was still sleeping so we decided to change and hang around the pool for a while. We had lunch in the food court (we had the same meals I’ve reviewed previously, so I won’t bother going over them again.) We spent the rest of the day doing our own thing … reading, napping, playing Nintendo DS (guess who chose that activity? ;)) We had a 7:50 ADR for Le Cellier which we had all been looking forward to as it had been our favourite restaurant during our December trip. Unfortunately, even though Cheryl started to feel better in the afternoon (I think the heat and all the rich food was the culprit) she didn’t feel up to making the trip to Epcot. It was another very hot, muggy day and she wasn’t willing to venture too far from our air-conditioned room, not even for Le Cellier. I was going to cancel our reservations but she insisted we go, saying she’d feel awful if we all missed it because of her. She had dinner at the food court, and once again remembered to take a picture of her meal.

pofqchdinnersb4.jpg

This is the Chicken Club Wrap, served with pasta salad. As you can see, she also chose Skim Milk to drink and had an orange for her dessert. She said this was good; the wrap was really tasty. She wasn’t a fan of the pasta salad though, and said it was rather bland and tasteless.
Rating: 7/10

Meanwhile, in Epcot, we had arrived at Nirvana …

lcfnsignsm7.jpg

I checked us in at the podium and we went back outside to wait for our table. While we were waiting, I took some pictures of the lovely gardens.

lcgrounds1rz6.jpg

lcgrounds2is0.jpg

We didn’t have long to wait before they announced that our table was ready. We took a seat in the Yukon section, and had a wonderful server whose name I absolutely can’t remember. :confused: She was awesome but I completely forgot to write down her name and if I don’t write it … I don’t remember it. :sad2: Anyway, we were allowed to get shakes or smoothies on the DP, so DS and I ordered:

lcmangosmoothiecs7.jpg

Neil’s choice was the Mango Smoothie. He had this when we were here in December and enjoyed it just as much this time.

lcfrozencapuccinose0.jpg

I had the Frozen Cappuccino, which is no longer on the menu. I mentioned this to our wonderful server and she said they’d happily make one for me, no problem. Mmmm … it’s so good!!

Frank didn’t want to fill up with a shake so just ordered a Coke.

Along with the drinks she brought that famous bread.

lcbreadwv2.jpg

There were two pretzel breads, (DS and I had already devoured one) one sourdough and one multigrain. Frank had appropriated the sourdough (his favourite) when this pic was taken, as you can see at the bottom left of the picture. ;) Delicious!

For our appetizers, we selected:

DS: Steakhouse Caesar - romaine lettuce, parmesan-black pepper crisp, sour dough croutons, creamy Caesar dressing.

lccaesartr4.jpg

Neil said this salad was ok, but not great. He said the dressing was very good, but there was way too much of it. He said it overpowered everything else and he ate less than half of it. He said he wished he’d ordered the cheese soup, which is what he had last time. He made up for it by eating the other pretzel bread. :rolleyes:
Rating: 6/10

DH: Beef and Barley Soup - rich beef broth and fresh vegetables.

lcsoupxq0.jpg

Frank loved this soup. It has a delicious beef broth and contains large chunks of lean beef and veggies. It tastes like it’s been slowly simmering all day. Frank gives it two thumbs up.
Rating: 9/10

I ordered: Duck Two Ways - duck confit and seared smoked duck breast with Chambord syrup.

lcduck2waysvh4.jpg

I didn’t think any appetizer could be better than the Seared Beef Salad at Raglan Road, but I was wrong. This was hands-down my favourite appetizer of the trip. The combination of flavors is amazing and there’s no way I can adequately describe it. If you like duck at all, do yourself a favor and order this dish! You’ll be soooo happy you did!!
Rating: 10/10 (actually more like 11/10 ::yes::)

Entrée Time!!

DS and I both had: 7 oz. Filet Mignon - glazed with maple barbecue sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes.

lcbbqfileten4.jpg

This was amazing once again. Our steaks were perfectly cooked and cut like butter. They were melt-in-your-mouth good! And is there any better side dish than those cream cheese mashed potatoes? I think not.
Rating: We both give our meal 10/10

Frank ordered the same filet but since he’s not a mashed potato fan and he hates cream cheese :eek:, he had it with a side of roasted Yukon gold potatoes.

lcfiletroastpotzg8.jpg

Frank’s steak was just as tender and succulent as ours and he said the BBQ sauce gave it a wonderful sweet, smoky flavor without overpowering the taste of the beef. He enjoyed the roast potatoes as well. He loved this meal and also gave it 10/10.

Time for dessert!

DS: Campfire S'mores - chocolate graham crackers and roasted marshmallows with vanilla ice cream.

lcsmoresja8.jpg

Neil loved this dessert and ate every bite. He said the mango, lime and strawberry fruit syrups were also delicious and really added an extra flavor kick.

DH: Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake - chocolate cake brushed with Canadian whiskey, layered with chocolate mousse, finished with tarragon anglaise, topped with a chocolate curl.

lcchoccakecv5.jpg

Frank had this same dessert in December and was looking forward to having it again. He said the cake is very moist and very chocolately, just the way he likes it!
Rating: 10/10

I had: Cherry Shortcake - cherry-almond cake topped with housemade lavender ice cream. I had them serve the lavender ice cream on the side in case I didn’t like it.

lccherrycobblervc7.jpg

I enjoyed this dessert very much and the lavender ice cream was actually very good. It tasted like honey to me, but DS had a bite and thought it tasted like soap! :scared1: So there’s two very different opinions for you to consider. The cherries were a little on the tart side, which contrasted nicely with the cake, which was very rich and very sweet.

Everything about this meal was fabulous! From the service to the atmosphere to the food, it was top notch. We left happy and satisfied and Le Cellier is on the top of our “must return” list for next time!

When we walked out of the restaurant, we discovered that Illuminations had started.

lcilluminations1tg6.jpg

lcilluminations2uy5.jpg

Overall Rating: 9 ½ /10 (I took off half a point for Neil’s disappointing appetizer.)
Service receives a solid A. Our server was helpful, informative and checked many times to make sure we were happy.

Coming in the next installment: Columbia Harbor House and Boma!

Really enjoying your reviews! So glad to see yet another great Spoodles review, DH excluded.;)

I must say "WOW" to your pics of IllumiNations! They are so clear!

I agree--what kind of camera do you have?? I recently bought a Pentax DSLR and am still learning how to use it. I would love to know more about your Illuminations picture. (And I'm really enjoying your dining info, too!)

I agree--what kind of camera do you have?? I recently bought a Pentax DSLR and am still learning how to use it. I would love to know more about your Illuminations picture. (And I'm really enjoying your dining info, too!)

Thank you both! I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-W80. We have an old Canon Powershot S20 that still works well and takes decent pictures, but it's pretty large and I don't tend to use it very often. I love the Sony!! It's small, easy to use, has a much larger screen and longer battery life than the Canon. It also has setting for taking pictures in low light, in very bright settings, landscape, at the beach, portraits with soft focus background and movie mode. I have a lot of fun with it! :thumbsup2 After I download the pics to my computer, I use Paint Shop Pro to adjust brightness/contrast, sharpness and lighting if necessary.

Day 10: Columbia Harbor House & Boma

Today was our last full day :sad1: so we wanted to make the most of it. We asked the kids what they wanted to do and they both really wanted to go back to the Magic Kingdom. We left bright and early and made it in time for park opening. We walked in and rode all our faves multiple times (including two more visits to Mickey’s Philharmagic. :rolleyes1)

When it was time for lunch, the vote was unanimous for Columbia Harbor House. DH and DS chose the same meal as their previous visit and DD went with the Anchors Aweigh sandwich. Since I’ve already reviewed and posted pictures of these meals, I won’t bother repeating myself. Suffice it to say that everyone enjoyed their selections as much as the first time around. ;)

I felt like something a little lighter, so I chose the Garden Galley Salad - mixed greens with chicken, pecans, pineapple and feta cheese.

chhsaladjb2.jpg

This salad was delicious! Very light and refreshing and the different flavors and textures complemented each other beautifully. I had the apple crisp (blossom? crustata?) for dessert once again (my fave CS dessert) and chocolate milk.

My whole family gives CHH 9/10. It’s a terrific CS choice in the Magic Kingdom. The food is always fresh and tasty and you can usually find a quiet place to sit upstairs. We love it! :thumbsup2

After lunch, we played in the park until mid-afternoon and then returned to our resort to freshen up and get ready for our 5:40 ADR at Boma.

We arrived at the AKL at 5:00 and took a look around this beautiful resort. It has a very relaxed and welcoming feel as well as being stunning in it’s design. I couldn’t resist taking a few pictures.

akllobbytl6.jpg

akllobbyartworkzq5.jpg

We checked in at Boma at 5:25 and were seated within 10 minutes. This was a restaurant I was really looking forward to trying since so many people have raved about it. It didn’t disappoint.

After we were seated, we immediately grabbed a plate and helped ourselves.

bomacsaladni6.jpg

This was my salad plate, it contains: (Starting with the watermelon and going clockwise) African Fruit Fool, Watermelon Rind Salad, Lefke, Jacama Apple Salad, 3 different types of hummus (sundried tomato, white bean & olive), Grapefruit, Papaya & Avocado Salad and chunks of cantaloupe.

Mmmmm!! They really shine in the salad department! I loved everything on this plate except for the watermelon rind salad. It was ok, but it had an odd, spicy taste that I couldn’t decide if I liked or not. It’s certainly unique.

bomacarolda3.jpg

Shown on this plate: (clockwise starting with mac & cheese,) Grilled Vegetables, Bobotie, Couscous, Yellow Rice with Raisins, Potatoes with Afritude, Durban Spiced Roasted Chicken, Prime Rib, Rigatoni with Meatballs and sauce. In the bowl is Butternut Squash soup.

I loved the vegetables, rice, chicken, prime rib and the rigatoni. The mac and cheese was surprisingly tasteless. It looked wonderful, but didn’t live up to its promise. The couscous and bobotie were ok, but not especially memorable. The potatoes were potatoes, they were mildly spiced, but pretty middle-of-the-road. Not bad, but not great either. That butternut squash soup was to die for!!! It tasted like liquid pumpkin pie; I’d never tasted anything quite like it. I’ve had butternut squash soup before, but this was amazing! If you like pumpkin pie, don’t miss it!!

bomafrankpn2.jpg

This was DH’s second plate, starting from the prime rib and moving clockwise, it contains: Grilled Vegetables, Chicken Tenders, Durban Spiced Roasted Chicken and French Fries.

Surprisingly, Frank really enjoyed Boma, despite the fact that some of the choices were definitely outside his comfort zone. I think the fact that this is a buffet makes it easier for picky eaters to be a little daring, since they know they can always fall back on old stand-bys if they don’t like something. He did try some new things, like Bobotie, the Jacama apple salad and the African Fool. He enjoyed the salad selections but didn’t like the bobotie. Big surprise, huh? :rotfl2:

DD & DS went up many times and tried different selections as well. They both really liked the chicken, rigatoni, potatoes with afritude, the salads and Cheryl loved the butternut squash soup. She also tried the Chicken Corn Porridge but didn’t enjoy it at all.

I went back to get some more hummus (I could have made a meal out of that alone!) My favourites were the white bean and the olive. I also got some of the Crab soup (on the left) as well as the Chicken Corn Porridge to try.
bomahummussoupske3.jpg

I enjoyed the chicken but hated the crab soup!! It tasted like they’d used an entire container of salt in it. :scared: YUCK!!

On to the dessert table!

We each had to try those famous zebra domes. The general consensus? They’re good, but they don’t quite live up to all the hype.

DD had watermelon, strawberries, a chocolate chip cookie and a zebra dome.

bomachdessertvp4.jpg

DS had a melk tarte (I think that’s what it was called), a chocolate chip cookie, and 3 zebra domes (one and a half had already been devoured. :laughing:)

bomandessertst0.jpg

bomandessertag7.jpg

DH and I shared (clockwise): zebra domes, flourless chocolate cake, coconut cake, fruit & custard tart and an oatmeal raisin cookie.

bomacdessertno3.jpg

Neil also went back to the salad bar for more fruit.

bomafruitjp7.jpg

Just before we started dessert, one of the chefs came over to say hi and to ask if we were enjoying ourselves and our vacation. To my delight, I saw that it was TJ! I told him how happy I was to meet him and that he was quite famous on many of the Disney forums. He’s a very nice man and spent a few minutes chatting with us. When we were almost finished dessert, TJ came back to our table with this …

bomafriedoreospr3.jpg

Those are battered, deep-fried Oreos and were they ever good!! We were so stuffed, but we found room for these. YUMMY!! :love:

But that’s not all …

Not 5 minutes later TJ was back.

dayaw2.jpg

He’d noticed DD’s birthday button and came back with this lovely surprise. Cheryl said those little heart-shaped cookies were incredibly, decadently good. The little chocolate goodies are rich, fudge brownies with chocolate dipped strawberry slices on top and drizzled with white chocolate. Cheryl ate the cookies and we all had a taste of the brownies. They were heavenly! I thought TJ was so sweet to do this, he certainly made us feel special with the Oreos, but then he really outdid himself by doing something for Cheryl’s birthday and making her evening extra-special. It was a wonderful way to end our dining experiences!

Overall, we give Boma a rating of 8 ½ /10 and TJ 11/10! :hug:

Service receives a B+. Service was good, our waitress kept our drinks refilled and was very prompt at clearing dirty dishes.

In the next installment: A wrap-up and final thoughts.

On the day we checked out, we had 5 Snack Credits and 3 Counter Service credits left, and we traded DD’s unused TS credit from Le Cellier for a CS credit. When you do this during free dining, they will give you your CS meal and your choice of either 2 snack credits or a special lanyard and collectible pin. We’re not into pin collecting, so we chose the snack credits and stocked up on munchies for the drive home. We used our CS credits for breakfast:

DS had the King Creole Breakfast Platter, Orange Juice and Chocolate Milk

pofqkingcreoleplatterpy9.jpg

Rating: 8/10

I had the Bounty Platter (I should have had the King Creole Platter, it was better,) Orange Juice and Water.

pofqbountyplatterjx9.jpg

Rating: 6/10

DH had Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Bacon, Grapefruit Juice and Water.

pofqchocchippancakesvz4.jpg

DD had the Croissant Breakfast Sandwich with a side of sausage, Orange Juice and Skim Milk.

pofqbfastsandwichsausagye2.jpg

When you use a counter service credit for breakfast, you get 2 beverages since you don’t get dessert.

Overall, we had a wonderful Disney dining experience! This was our second time using the DP but the first time we’ve been able to take advantage of it for free. It was a terrific bargain, but I don’t think we’ll be going back at this time of year again since we found the weather to be very hot and oppressive, especially DD. We love going to the world when it’s all decorated for Christmas, so I think we’ll plan on either November or December 2008 for another return trip. I can’t say for sure whether we’ll do the dining plan again since I’ll have to crunch the numbers and see if it will still be beneficial for our family when they change it. I’m also going to be very interested to hear what others think about it after it’s been implemented.

ADR’s are extremely important!! I can’t stress that enough. We saw so many unhappy people being turned away from the table service restaurants. Even Nine Dragons, which doesn’t seem to be as popular, was booked solid the night we were there. We also noticed signs posted at park entrances informing guests that no table service venues were available for walk-ups and suggesting counter service alternatives. I know it’s difficult to figure out what you want to eat months in advance, but unfortunately it’s a fact of Disney life that you need those ADR’s, especially if there’s a particular restaurant you want to try. So book ‘em Dan-o! ;)

Here’s a closing summary:

A must-return for our next trip:
Le Cellier
Raglan Road
Kona Café
Nine Dragons
Liberty Tree Tavern (a first night tradition!)
Columbia Harbor House
Wolfgang Puck Express

Worth another visit sometime:
Spoodles
Boma
Tony’s Town Square
Earl of Sandwich
Sunshine Seasons

Maybe return someday, but not for a while:
Rose & Crown
Pecos Bill’s

Never again:
Sci-Fi Dine-In (although I would go just for dessert and to enjoy the atmosphere, it really is a lot of fun!)

We also loved the food at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory, but since I’d like to try either AKL or WL on our next trip, I haven’t included it on the list.

Thanks to everyone who’s been reading and offering support and encouragement, I really appreciate the feedback! I hope you’ve found it helpful and I wish you all wonderful vacations and great eating in our favourite place! pixiedust:

Awww I can't believe it's over! When do we go back? :laughing: Seriously it was a lot of fun to read. Good job! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for posting those Boma pictures and listing out what everything is. We are going to Boma in December and I can't wait to try that soup!! I enjoyed all of your reviews and all the detail you put into them. :thumbsup2

When you use a counter service credit for breakfast, you get 2 beverages since you don’t get dessert.

That's what we thought but when we had breakfast at ABC Commissary at MGM, the woman refused to let us have 2 drinks and made us pay for one of them :sad2:

Really, really loved your reports. I agree with your comments about the duck appetiser at Le Cellier - hands down the nicest apetiser I have ever eaten :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the reviews and great pics! I'm sad that your dining report is over :(

I am so hungry after reading and seeing!! I have to agree on Sci Fi.....we hated it!! Atmosphere was great and desert wonderful...rest was'nt worth mentioning! Kona is wonderful!! As is 'Ohana if you get anywhere close to the Poly! I would love the opportunity to be able to try different things and on free dining!! Never have been able to do so. Although have tried some fabulous resturants at other times while using DDP!

Thanks so much for your report. I was going to try sci fi but with so many bad reviews, I think I'll use my DP credit somewhere else and I gotta try Wolfgang pucks. The pics were great.

Excellent review, loved it! Especially that photo of the lobby at AKL, its so bright and clear, usually they are quite dark.

I somehow missed Kona and the first CHH installment. Kona looks incredible!! We didn't book it for our upcoming trip but I'm definitely going to keep it in mind for the future. (It was probably the last one to get cut from our current list.)

CHH - we ate there last year. (I tell this story all the time and it's not even that exciting.) I never order tuna when I'm out because it's just something I can make easily at home. But, we were at MK our last full day of our trip last year and I started coming down with a cold. We got hungry but being sick, I didn't have a taste for anything. We went to CHH and normally I would have gotten either the fish & chips or the combo platter. But the only thing that looked remotely appealing with my sore throat was the tuna...OMG!! It was so good. I'm almost glad that I was sick or I never would have tried it.

BOMA: Can't wait to eat there. Hubby was a bit hesitant when I said that it's African, but he agreed to try it after I told him about some of the reviews here. We were just talking about it again last night and I mentioned it being a buffet so it's easier to try many different things and now he's looking forward to it. Well...the fact that it's at AKL doesn't hurt either. Looks like there are plenty of good choices. Thankfully, he's not a picky eater so he's willing to try most things.

Thanks for the great reviews and pictures!!!

thank you for posting this review.

we will be there in less than 2 weeks now (!!) and have some of the places you reviewed on our ADR list this year.

thanks also for the pictures!

Glad you had a good trip.... considered doing a Trip Report?

Great job!

Ms. H

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter