It's Sad to Think...

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
Do you have any fond memories from Disneyland or DCA and you realized your kids or little siblings will never be able to have those memories? What are some of those? Mine is thinking of when different bands would play in the Carnation Plaza and my friends and I would all dance and have fun. Or taking our family photos on the letter "A" in the CALIFORNIA sign in front of DCA. Please share and post pics if have any.

Do you have any fond memories from Disneyland or DCA and you realized your kids or little siblings will never be able to have those memories? What are some of those? Mine is thinking of when different bands would play in the Carnation Plaza and my friends and I would all dance and have fun. Or taking our family photos on the letter "A" in the CALIFORNIA sign in front of DCA. Please share and post pics if have any.

Golden Horseshoe Review.

Definitely agree with missing the CALIFORNIA letters. We looked forward to those every trip to see how much DD had grown between visits.

I have a treasure trove of memories of long lost rides.

The one I miss most is Country Bear Jamboree, although there are other versions. And of course America Sings, PeopleMover, and Skyway. As a kid I was actually quite freaked out about Adventure through Inner Space. I could have sworn as a kid I saw a miniature version of the people on the ride in the shrink gun moving. As I got older I realized they were little figurines.

Actually the thing that I'm nostalgic about is going through the ticket books and seeing if we still had the ticket needed for a particular ride.

The first thing that comes to mind isn't at DL, but at the DLH - I loved the waterfalls. I was so sad to see them go. I have good memories of the dancing water show, too, but I guess WOC can replace that now. :) I'm sure I'll think of more in park stuff later...

I'm sad that DS won't ever be able to ride the Skyway, which was always one of my favorite rides as a child. I loved the view.

I also really wish he could see Country Bear Jamboree. It was my absolute favorite! I was SO sad when they took it out, and I look back in Winnie the Pooh each time we ride to see Max, Buff, and Melvin.

I have other things that I'm sad he won't be able to experience, but those two were the first to come to mind, along with the fact that he'll never get to experience the park with my Grandma, who was with me for almost all of my visits as a child, and who gave me a big part of my love for Disney. We lost her a few months ago. I couldn't find any photos from the Skyway (though I KNOW I have a few somewhere) or Country Bear Jamboree, but this is my Grandma at the park.

16863110150126778730991.jpg
22325510151224236550991.jpg
16643510150126715655991.jpg

Lots of things: the people mover, the skyway, country bear jamboree, the motor boats (gummy glen anyone?), the electrical parade, the rockets on top of the people mover (I know they are still there but they are much lower and the view isn't the same...........

CaliDisneyMama - you have inspired me to go dig out old pictures! I'll have to see what I can find in my mom's basement. :goodvibes

Many people have already mentioned my favorite memories... the Skyway, America Sings, the motor boats, and, of course, the Country Bear Jamboree. I always get a kick out of seeing some of the recycled animatronic critters from some of these in Splash Mountain.

bethwc101 said:

While it won't be called Carnation Plaza, they are still planning to have bands at Princess Fantasy Faire at night and the swing dancing is supposed to return as well!

I miss the People Mover, America Sings, Country Bears (especially the Christmas show). At DCA, I miss Hollywood & Vine and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It!

cmwade77 said:
While it won't be called Carnation Plaza, they are still planning to have bands at Princess Fantasy Faire at night and the swing dancing is supposed to return as well!

I miss the People Mover, America Sings, Country Bears (especially the Christmas show). At DCA, I miss Hollywood & Vine and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It!

This is what I thought too. I noticed this disappointing snippet though in this week's MousePlanet DL update:
"The Fantasy Faire is scheduled to open Tuesday, March 12. Disneyland is still working out some details such as the operational hours, which are currently scheduled from park opening until the nightly fireworks are shown. Disney also stated to direct questioning that there are no immediate plans to bring the Saturday evening Jump, Jive and Boogie swing dance event back to the area. The swing dancers were moved out of the Carnation Plaza Gardens last spring and have since called Downtown Disney home."

I guess this was during a media preview. I recognize everything is subject to change and adjustment (and this is contradictory to previous rumors or statements), but this is discouraging. Guess we'll know soon what activities will be there.

I love getting my Skyway fix on the Skyfari ride at the San Diego Zoo. But still, it's sad to still see the old Skyway buildings next to the Casey Jr. ride.

The electrical parade! I would love to see that one more time.

Oh, that, too!! I keep hoping they'll bring it back again. They have before (though I don't think to DL; just to DCA and WDW, right?), so it's not completely outside the realm of possibility. And if they do, we will be there so DS can see it :love:

Planning which attractions we wanted to "spend" our tickets on. Seriously, the Disneyland ticket books were one of my first lessons as a child in finance and wealth management. They taught me a lot about the value of things and saving up for what you want.

I'm sad that my kids won't be able to experience It's a Small World without all the disney characters shoehorned in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter