• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's My Birthday and I'll WINE if I want to!

cjwross

Earning My Ears
It’s my birthday and I’ll Wine if I want to.

Chapter 1: Rites of passage or Sometimes getting old has its benefits.

I love my family
I love Disney

I first discovered the Epcot Food and Wine festival 4 years ago and in realizing that,
a) I love Disney in general and Epcot in particular
b) I love food
c) I love wine (are we recognizing a trend here?) and
d) My birthday is in October, during the Food and Wine festival

I knew that somehow I must spend my Birthday at Epcot. But FLASH 3 years go by, 2 years in which I actually have a Disney Seasonal Pass and I do live in central Florida, yet I am unable to achieve my goal. I love my family, and for the past 3 years I have had family commitments that interfered with my dream.
This year however, I am turning 50 and I am determined, It’s my birthday and I’ll Wine if I want to!!!

My baby sister (Hi sue_88:wave2:) made me a Dis-er. Over the past 20 plus years that I have lived in central Florida the majority of my Disney visits have been with her and/or my DD. DH has never been one to show much interest in the parks. This year I was determined to drag DH along for the Big Birthday eating and drinking extravaganza.

How could he turn down all the food?
How could he turn down all that WINE?
How could he say no to a season pass to 4 parks with awesome rides like RRC, ToT and Everest?
How could he say no to his darling bride on her 50th Birthday?
How could he say no to 4 days at Disney’s Beach Club Resort???

The answer is…….. HE COULDN”T, NO WAY, NO HOW, the package deal was just too grand. (and thus, the secret mission to live my dream while simultaneously turning DH into a Disney Lover like me is born) Will I succeed? We shall see.

Up next: Planning not to Plan!

Chapter 2: A 12 step program for a 4 day weekend.

Hi my name is Jane (Hi Jane) and I am an Over Planner. I meticulously plan every detail of a pending vacation and often end up frustrated and disappointed when things do not go as planned. DH prefers to wing it. If the plan is to succeed I must let go of my neurotic over planning behavior. :surfweb:Therefore I plan only a general guide for the 4 day get-a-way with only 2 ADR’s

Friday, Oct. 21
Step 1: Awake at our leisure and after a relaxing cup of coffee drop the dog off with DD and make a BEE line (or Beach line) for Orlando and the happiest place on earth.

My interpretation, we should be on the road by 8 am
DH’s interpretation, we could be out the door by noon.

Step 2: Beat the crowds to World Showcase and spend the afternoon tantalizing our taste buds with an array of exotic foods and beverages at F& W.

Step 3: Eat to the beat with The Orchestra. I loved ELO as a kid and was really looking forward to seeing this.

Step 4: A quick stroll (stumble) back to our deluxe resort via the International Gateway (Ahhh the privilege of prime location) to relax (recover) for our next beautiful day of fun.

Saturday, Oct. 22
Step 5: No wakeup calls, get up whenever we like and take the Friendship Boat to DHS for Toy Story FP’s and a totally rockin ride with Aerosmith.

(DH’s loves thrill rides, his last trip to Disney was in 2002. Our first day in the parks there was a tragic accident at one of the roller coasters in Disneyland as a precaution Disney shut down all of their coasters at all of their parks while evaluating the situation. If I had any hope of changing DH’s Disney view I had to get him on that coaster!)

Step 6: After a morning of thrills and chills a late afternoon ADR at 50’s Prime Time Diner. (I love this restaurant and really wanted to share it with DH even though I was not sure he would “get it”). After dinner let the rest of the day plan itself.

Sunday, Oct. 23
Step 7: Morning at Epcot (via our special entry ) highlights Soarin, Mission Space, and Test Track.

Step 8: Afternoon revisiting our favorite Booths at F&W

Step 9: A late Dinner ADR at Cape May. DH Loves seafood, especially crab legs and can eat pounds of them.

Monday, Oct. 24 (Happy birthday to me):banana:
Step 10: Pack up, check out. So sad! (Do they say step 10 is always the toughest of a 12 step program?)

Step 11: Head over to Animal Kingdom for a quick trip to the Orient. EVEREST!!! Oh my, I hope we are not attacked by a YETI!

Step 12: Possible lunch at Yak and Yeti (No ADR)

There you have it, a 12 step program for making a Mans Man fall for the Mouse House. No Magic Kingdom (Gasp!), No early mornings, and lots of flexibility.

Up Next: We’re off…..at a tiny little snails pace.

:goodvibesYayyyyy!!
I am here and would love to hear more.

You sound like you had a very sensible plan! I hope it all worked out.
And I hope you add pics too.

:hug::banana:

I tried to add pics to my first post but the Dis said my post count wasn't high enough. Will add photos to the next post.

Chapter 3: From here to (there in an) Eternity

We start off on track. I am an early riser, DH not so much. So I am up packed and ready by 8 am I bring DH his coffee and then calmly sit on my hands and bite my tongue while DH completes his preparing for a trip ritual. He is packed and ready and out the door in lightning speed. (11am) whilst I have been silently chanting to myself-I am not going to nag him to hurry.

Oops, I forgot about DH’s post leaving the house preparing for a trip ritual…so after 4 quick stops at the gas station, the bank, Target, and DD’s house to drop off the dog we are finally only an hour away from happiness, or are we???????

Finally we are racing down the Beachline when my brain registers the road sign we just past.

“What did that flashing sign just say? Accident ahead, all lanes blocked??????-Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!” :sad2:

“Honey-exit here! NOW!!”

And to make a really long road trip short-we arrive at our luxury Beach Club accommodations at 3:30 in the afternoon. So much for beating the Friday night crowds.

dscn0051.jpg

After a quick and easy check-in and receipt of my Birthday button :) we find our way to our room on the 4th floor.

Note: When I made this reservation 6 months ago I was not able to score any discounts but I was determined to stay here anyway so I scrimped, saved, and prayed. Finally just a few weeks out, a Florida resident rate was released. I called to see if I could get it, but no, not even if I changed my dates or moved to one of the other Epcot Resorts, but no worries… Then free dining was announced but not for trips beginning on Oct. 21, missed again. So I was just certain that the upgrade fairies would smile on me on my 50th birthday and I would get a room with a balcony and a gorgeous view. I forgot again that all of my positive energy and faith could never outshine DH’s doomsday attitude. So we got a tiny balcony and a view of the roof. But with a little bit of photographic seclusion and a slight stretch my photos show a lovely view.

dscn0041.jpg

dscn0042.jpg

And finally we are on our way to World Showcase via our private entry thru the International gateway. I am so excited to show DH how special we are, as we walk along the beachfront walk DH says;

dscn0054.jpg

“We have to WALK?!”

“ Isn’t there some sort of bus or Segway we could take?”

So happy to be here!
dscn0056.jpg

First stop, Ireland -and YES! I am starting to win DH to my side, Lobster & Scallop Pie, Lava cake, and Irish beer.

Next up Canada- Maple & Beer glazed Salmon (Amazing) and a Moosehead beer.
dscn0061.jpg

And so, we sample our way (deliciously) around the world stopping to enjoy “Off Kilter” and “The Orchestra” along the way. The lines are not too long and we are not in a rush. The weather is perfect. Every CM we pass wishes me a “Happy Birthday” and It IS!

We finish in France with Escargot and Sparkling Pomegranate Kir. DH is amazed to learn that the cute young CM’s throughout the park are actually from the countries they are working in. Disney scores again.
Full and happy we decide to go relax back at the Beach Club. We stroll thru the International gateway and back along the beach (where is that Segway?)

dscn0087.jpg

Wait, where is that smoke coming from? Oh yes, a marshmallow roast on the beach just for us.
dscn0080.jpg

After Marshmallows we change into swimming suits, pick up a couple of drinks at Hurricane Hannah’s (loved the Pomegranate Super Sangria) and go discover Stormalong Bay!

It was a chilly evening and we had almost the entire pool to ourselves. The water was warm and the pool is UNBELIEVABLE. We swam, relaxed, drank, talked, and finished in the hot tub. What a wonderful first day!

Up next: Hooray for Hollywood

Excellent update!
So funny how your DH was looking for alternate transportation.
Very glad the festival met your expectations.
Hugs!!!

Chapter 4: Hollywood here we come

There has to be something to this idea of a relaxing swim and early to bed thing because DH is up and ready to go at 8 am and even better-its EMH at DHS today.

We just miss the boat but don’t have to wait too long for the next one. Arriving at DHS around 8:30, I tell DH this morning we must get straight to Toy Story for FP’s. Of course he has no idea what I’m talking about but he follows.
dscn0094.jpg

dscn0097.jpg

dscn0098.jpg

I could not believe it. We get FP’s for Toy Story before the park is officially open and our ride time is between 2:30 and 3: 30

DH says he is hungry so we go check out Starring Rolls since I have heard so many good things about it here on the Dis. The line is LONG. We wait a bit but DH sees no one is coming out with anything but pastries. He is not a pastry fan and wants nothing to do with this place. We check around for some other breakfast options but can’t find anything DH wants. I say let’s do a couple of rides before the lines get long then go find food, he agrees.

First up Rockin Rollercoaster-Fast and fun. DH loves it.
dscn0103.jpg

Next ToT. Remember how DH didn’t get to ride any coasters back in 2002? Well at that time I had never been on ToT. I just do not like drops that much. Since DH was disappointed about the coasters though, I went on ToT with him. 9 years later I think he is still digging my nails out of his forearm. I love the look and idea of this ride. I love the story. (DH is a huge Twilight Zone fan) Any way I’m glad I rode it once, but No-Way am I riding it again. So I wait thru the line with DH then take the chicken exit.

dscn0106.jpg

I really thought the bug on the light was cool
dscn0108.jpg

So DH has happily ridden 2 thrill rides, he’s still hungry but overall in a happy place, we head over to Star Tours.
dscn0124.jpg

dscn0120.jpg

After Star Tours it is almost time to get another FP, we head back to RRC for a ride time 1:45 to 2:45. FP’s in hand we head out of the park to our Friendship Boat back to the lovely Beach Club.

dscn0141.jpg

I want to go to Beaches n Cream for burgers but DH takes 1 look at the menu and says “No beer, were going to Hurricane Hannahs” I was disappointed because I really wanted to try Beaches n Cream but I must admit that I really enjoyed sitting out by the beach enjoying a hotdog and my favorite Sangria. Next we decide since we are here we may as well go for a swim. Waiting an hour after eating be darned.

dscn0142.jpg

The crows nest of this ship is the start of a slide that travels over the walkway and ends in the pool. Cool
dscn0081.jpg

dscn0143.jpg

Again we really enjoy the pool, slide, and hot tub, so much that we miss our FP return time for RRC, but NO WAY are we going to miss Toy Story. We hurry back to DHS.

The queue for Toy Story is so fun. It really takes you back to your childhood.
dscn0153.jpg

dscn0154.jpg

dscn0158.jpg

I have never been very good at video games or shooting games, but I recently learned how to cheat this one, and DH has never ridden it before so I WIN!! Yeah! I had to really fight with DH to get a picture of the score board, he’s a sore loser. Of course he wants to ride again but he doesn’t want to wait in line, so, another day. We are pass holders now after all.

dscn0155.jpg

It is time for our ADR at 50’s Prime Time Diner. I ate here once before with DSIS and DD and really enjoyed it. I was not sure DH would love the discipline but I thought he would like the atmosphere and the food for I took a chance. We walk in and there are a number of people asking for tables and being told there is a 45 min. wait. We are seated immediately.

dscn0181.jpg

So I read the Dis, I know there are perks for wearing you Birthday button. I know there are perks for making ADR’s and letting them know you are celebrating. I have been wearing my button all weekend, every few minutes for two days now;

A CM –“Happy Birthday”

Me-“thank-you”

We are seated in the Kitchen. I look at the paper they put on the table when they seated us. It has my name on it and the word Birthday. I know what to expect.

Our server comes and takes our order. She scolds us for having our elbows on the table and tells us our food will be right out, “Moms pretty quick” she says.

DH has the fried chicken and I have the pot pie. Both are delicious but DH is raving (still actually) that this truly is Moms chicken. He loved it. DH orders a brownie desert and I have pie ala mode. No Birthday celebration???? No special desert, or happy Birthday written on my plate??? Oh well, we pay and start to exit as our server is speaking to one of her other tables, “Oh, it’s your Birthday” she says to the other customer.:confused3

Back out in the park DH wants to ride ToT again.
dscn0134.jpg

There is almost no wait. He jokes with the CM about getting a free FP and the CM says but your already at the front of the line. DH offers him an expired RRC FP and the CM says “They will still take it” Really? “Yeah, we always take them late” So next we go back to RRC and use our expired FP’s. on our way thru the queue DH says I’m not giving them my FP, I’m going to use it again. I say “No, they will take it at the end of the line” As we near the ride a CM takes my FP and yep, DH walks right on thru keeping his.

dscn0132.jpg

dscn0186.jpg

While DH is riding a second time I decide I am thirsty so I go to a stand for water. I make my purchase and the CM says “Happy Birthday” I say “Thank-you” and The CM says “How about a free Mickey Bar?“
Woo Hoo
dscn0187.jpg

DH exits RRC with a FP to Star Tours that someone on RRC gave him. We walk back over to ST but it is temporarily closed so we continue on to the Streets of America. DH thinks the sets are really cool. We ride the Great Movie Ride, the Back Lot Tour.
dscn0162.jpg

dscn0179.jpg

DH says he is done and ready to go back to Beach club. It is about 6pm and I say “What about fireworks?” He says we don’t need to do it all today so we leave the park and take our little boat ride home.

Tonight we decide to check out the Movies on the Beach for residents of BC. The movie is Hocus Pocus. It was a beautiful night and I was really enjoying the show but DH wanted to leave about half way thru the movie so we called it a night.

Later Ron asks why we never saw that show Fantasmic the boat captain told us about. I say “You didn’t want to stay for the fireworks”. He says “That’s what it was? Why didn’t you say so? I wanted to see that.”

Up Next: Flyin High, from California to Mars

You are an early morning updater!
I was glad to get to read before my 10:00 dentist appt. this morning.

Your Toy Story Mania fastpass was for 2:30-3:30! :eek:

Glad DH got to ride a roller coaster! Rock'n Roller Coaster is a good one! I still wear the shirt I got there when we rode with your kids years ago!:lovestruc

I am definately gonna try TOT this time. I may be like you, however, and only ever ride once.

Did you like Star Tours? I would like to see the sets and details on the ride but virtual rides make me very dizzy so I avoid them.

Looks like you had sunny/beautiful weather. Eating on the beach and enjoying that great pool looks devine!!:cloud9:

I need to know your Toy Story Midway Mania cheating secret! I love that ride but I'm not good at it at all.

Glad you ate at the Prime Time Cafe!! That is a fun and yummy place. It makes me think about playing with magnets on the table.

DH looks so relaxed on the Rock'n Roller Coaster pic! You look happy!!:upsidedow

I love the free Mickey Bar pic!

Watching the movie on the beach sounds so nice. What a GREAT day!!!:goodvibes

I will have to get DH to come ride TOT with you cause it won't be me:sad2:
Star Tours is okay but I like it but I don't love it.
The weather was probably as perfect as central Florida gets. This coming weekend is supposed to be cold. (by my standards anyway)But it should be pretty out.
I'll never tell my secrets. (you might ride with me and I want to win);)
I had forgotten about the magnets

Here comes part 5

Chapter 5: Epcot

Today we decide we are definitely having breakfast before heading to the parks. We have an ADR for Cape May for dinner and I don’t think DH is quite ready for a character breakfast anyway so we head over to Yacht Club for breakfast at Captains Grill.

dscn0201.jpg

DH orders a bloody Mary and I have a Mimosa, the CM/Server talks Ron out of ordering a la carte (he wanted eggs to order, she said he could order them thru her as part of the buffet), so we both get the buffet. We help ourselves to a plate of food. My Mimosa tastes like straight champagne so I go looking for juice (which comes with the buffet). I learn that you have to order juice from your server but I cannot find her. In the mean time DH has finished his plate but no eggs yet. I finish mine DH tells someone that he never got his eggs and finally someone else brings them out. I go make DH some toast. The eggs whites are runny and raw-gross. We wait for our check, and wait, and wait, still no server. I finally go tell the host that we can’t find her. She brings the check and I pay it. Then DH starts talking about how ridiculous this was for Disney service so we go back to tell the restaurant manager. She apologizes and picks up the tab.:thumbsup2

Next priority is Soarin FP’s Again, DH has no idea what it is but is willing to take my advice that it is something he wants to do. (Although he still want a Segway to get there on) After we get our FP’s we ride Mission Space (Orange of course) DH loved this ride last time and was happy to ride it again.

dscn0207.jpg

dscn0210.jpg

Then I ask DH if he is willing to try a kiddy ride next since it is one of my favorites. I take him to Finding Nemo. Yeah, I love this whole area.

dscn0213.jpg

dscn0224.jpg

dscn0225.jpg

dscn0226.jpg

We find Nemo, check out the seas, and talk with Crush. I believe DH enjoyed it all.

dscn0242.jpg

dscn0259.jpg

Next, on our way to Test Track for FP’s we stopped off in the cool zone, I steered DH clear of Beverly. We got our FP’s and then it was time for Soarin

(The Land)
dscn0206.jpg

I had never been in front before so I requested the front row. Awesome, as expected DH loved Soarin.

We went back to ride Test Track
dscn0292.jpg

then walked around WS for a bit but we didn’t eat anything because it was almost time for our ADR at Cape May.

dscn0204.jpg

(I don’t have any more photos taken on this night because my camera battery died.)

We really enjoyed Cape May. The food was really good and DH ate pounds of crab and clams, as I said he would. I tasted a couple of the deserts. I remember one was a tiny key lime pie which I liked. The server brought our check and a hand full of salt water taffy.:lovestruc DH paid the bill in cash. We waited a few minutes for her to pick it up but were hoping to catch the fireworks back at Epcot and we didn’t need change so we got up to leave.

As we were walking out a CM (not our server) said
“Happy Birthday”
I said
“Thank-you” just as I had a million times before.
But wait??? I am not wearing my birthday button now, that’s weird. :confused3

We walk towards Epcot and see a mob of people heading out of Epcot towards us. We figure we must have missed the fireworks.
Since we are stuffed from dinner we decide it would be a good time to walk over to Boardwalk.
It was a lovely stroll on a perfect evening. We enjoyed watching the street performers along the way. We walked all the way around the loop past Swan and Dolphin and Yacht Club, back to our home, Beach Club.

When we get to our room the message light is flashing on the phone I pick it up and listen.
It is Cape May calling to say they had a Birthday celebration planned for me and we left too soon.
That explains the CM that knew it was my Birthday. :idea:Oh well.
We start to settle in for the night and the phone rings again. DH answers and it is a cast member calling to see if we are in. A few minutes later I answer the door and receive this…

dscn0345.jpg

along with some balloons. The restaurant manager from Captain’s Grill had arranged it. That was so nice and special but I was not too sorry that it turned out the way it did, we were too full to eat it tonight so we took it home and shared it with DD and her family on my actual birthday
-Which is up next!

I'd never really heard anything about the Captains Grill. It sounds like it could have been a lot better if the server had been helpful and attentive.

But it sounds like you both had a good day on rides! I love Epcot. I really love all the parks though. But, I tend to daydream about Epcot when I really need a "happy place".

It's good that DH liked Soarin! And he even liked Nemo. If only he didn't need to walk to get there! haha.

Cape May! Sounds so good. They should have done your celebration before they gave you the check. But, it seems to have worked out nice anyway.

Your trip does sound like it was very nice. Pixie dust must have been involved.

I need to start packing!

Chapter 6; Birthday Celebrations and saying Goodbye

My original plan was to go to Animal Kingdom today, but last night I told DH since we are checking out today and we loved hanging out at the pool so much we should just spend the morning at Stormalong Bay. We can do Animal Kingdom any time.

After packing up I get breakfast from the hotel market. It was fast, hot, much better yesterday. We take our luggage to the car, we are officially checked out by 11 am.

DH suggests taking a walk around Epcot before swimming. We walk and shop all the way around World showcase.
DH has a beer in Ireland and another in Germany. We get the big ones so we can bring home a glass.
I have the Goulash and Strudel in Germany which are great!

When we reach Japan we are ready for lunch, and since Japanese food (Sushi) is our favorite what better place to eat than Teppan Edo.

dscn0308.jpg

I have the spicy rainbow roll with green masago , and a sparkling saki, both were wonderful.

dscn0313.jpg

DH had the regular rainbow roll and a Sensational appetizer.

dscn0312.jpg

Then the CM/Server walks out with….Delicious Chocolate Ginger cake, Oh my! I finally got my birthday celebration :wizard: and on my actual birthday too. :goodvibes
So good It was nearly gone before I remembered to photograph it.

dscn0315.jpg

After lunch we enjoyed listening to the Japanese drummers.

dscn0322.jpg

Finished our walk around World Showcase, then went back to the Beach Club for a little pool time.

dscn0327.jpg

dscn0334.jpg

dscn0338.jpg

dscn0330.jpg

dscn0335.jpg

We swam for several hours. I had one last Sangria (mmmmm). Around 4 we went to the Beach Club spa to shower and change for the drive home.

So, did DH fall in love with Disney???
Let’s take a look at the evidence:

1. He wanted to go to Epcot when I offered to hang out at the pool.

2. After our swim as we are walking out the front doors of Beach Club, about 4 hours later than I had originally planned. DH says

“I didn’t get you anything for your birthday”,

I say, “The whole weekend was my birthday”,

he says,” lets go back and get you something” and starts to pull me back in.

I say, “No It’s time to go”

He says “Let’s go eat dinner in Japan” pulling again

I say, “No, let’s go get the dog and eat my cake with DD and family”

He relents

and Finally
3. Last weekend He said “Why don't we go to Epcot, see what bands are playing”

I say,” let’s go next weekend, we can go to Festival of the Masters at DDD and then EPCOT for the last days of F&W”:love:

So what do you think????

Yay!!!
Great trip reporting. Thank you for writing it. I feel like I am all up to date now!
And I may see you at Festival of the Masters and Epcot for the last weekend of Food and Wine (whine)! I may whine a bit but it will all be just for show because I will be very happy to be on vacation!
Your pics and you writing are really nice. I feel like I like that pool a lot better now that I have seen your pics too. I knew it was nice but didn't remember how big and special it is.
I just printed out my boarding pass for my flight. I know it is close when I am able to do that! Vacation is a wonderful invention.
Thanks again, and I am looking forward to being with you soon.
Hugs and sister love:hug:

Yay!!! :banana:

So much fun visiting the World with you sister. Just noticed you are wearing Donalds hat.:rotfl::3dglasses

I had a great time too. I just finished my photopass order. It may take awhile to get the CD.
It was fun adding borders to the pics but not all borders were available for each pic. It depended on what park they were taken in and what character was being photographed. A few times I wanted a border and couldn't use it.
The weather here was nice the day after I got back. But it is very cold now. I already miss seeing so much green.
Thanks for the great visit!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter