It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Needs An Eyepatch - A Dec TR Complete 8/31

We examined our timesheet after learning about Christmas in Norway and determined that our next stop was going to be America.

Mom and I took a quick photopass photo in Germany.

World Showcase was really starting to get crowded by this point in the day.

Our goal was to go see the Voices of Liberty aka the Dickens Carollers. Seeing them perform was at the top of my must do list for Epcot.

We grabbed a seat on the floor to give our feet a break while we enjoyed the show.

I love these guys any time of the year and highly recommend fitting them into your schedule.

There is also a gingerbread display you can check out.

Gingerbread is everywhere at Disney during the holidays!

Afterwards we went outside and caught the Kwanzaa storyteller part way through her presentation so we stopped to listen.

I also took the opportunity to wander over to the nearby snack stand and order myself a delicious American Dream.

After the Kwanzaa storyteller the Hanukkah storyteller came out.

I'm ashamed to say I don't remember a great deal from either of these two storytellers. I must have have been too absorbed in enjoying my slushy ice cream treat.

Santa Claus is also available at the American pavilion for meets and it looked like he had a pretty nice set-up although we did not venture over that way.

We had to hoof it over to Italy as soon as the Hanukkah presentation was over as we wanted to catch the Italian storyteller, La Befana. I really loved the story of La Befana even though it is kind of sad. Basic jist is that the three wise men/kings stopped at her home on the way to see the baby Jesus and asked her to come but she did not want to leave her home. She later changed her mind and set out to see the baby Jesus but never found him and so to this day she visits the homes of all children looking for him and leaves gifts for each child. So it is a nice story but also sad at the same time. However, La Befana does not leave gifts on Christmas Day. Instead she leaves them on Epiphany.

Mom and I took a quick photopass photo in Germany.

Pretty smiles! Good to see you both getting along..... :-)

Our goal was to go see the Voices of Liberty aka the Dickens Carollers. Seeing them perform was at the top of my must do list for Epcot.
Always a great to do! :goodvibes

There is also a gingerbread display you can check out.

THIS is new..........need to add this to MY must-do list! ::yes::

After the Kwanzaa storyteller the Hanukkah storyteller came out.
This was a new one for me the last time I was there during the Holidays........and I thought it was pretty good on both parts! :thumbsup2

That is a sad but kind of heartwarming story from the Italian :) I would love to spend a bit more time in each of the countries...sigh...it just always feels rushed to try to see them all! You got some great pics. That slushy looked awesome too! Does it actually have slush AND ice cream? I can't imagine anything better lol

I really have never thought I'd go to WDW during the Christmas season, but I think if I were to finally get there, the things to do at EPCOT would really be a the top of my list. I LOVE the storyteller idea! You got some fantastic photos of the different ones! And that photo of you and your mom is perfect! Looks like the rough start earlier is totally blown over and you're back to normal. Hurrah!

I love that you were able to fit in so many of the storytellers! We only caught glimpses one evening but it sounds really interesting. Love the pictures from the dance in China!

Pretty smiles! Good to see you both getting along..... :-)

Yes, it was really only the one day where things were tense.

THIS is new..........need to add this to MY must-do list! ::yes::

:thumbsup2

I would love to spend a bit more time in each of the countries...sigh...it just always feels rushed to try to see them all! You got some great pics.

I always try to plan two Epcot days because of this exact reason. This Epcot day was dedicated to seeing the storytellers. We did a bit of exploring of the countries as well but we have been so many times that seeing the storytellers was top priority.

That slushy looked awesome too! Does it actually have slush AND ice cream? I can't imagine anything better lol

It is awesome. Highly recommend it. Dairy Queen had something similar although its not listed on the menu. It is called a Misty Freeze. It is their ice cream and their Misty slushy blended together. It is my absolute favourite. I only know about it due to having worked at DQ as a teenager.

I really have never thought I'd go to WDW during the Christmas season, but I think if I were to finally get there, the things to do at EPCOT would really be a the top of my list. I LOVE the storyteller idea! You got some fantastic photos of the different ones! And that photo of you and your mom is perfect! Looks like the rough start earlier is totally blown over and you're back to normal. Hurrah!

I think Epcot definitely has the most of all the parks when it comes to dedicated holiday activities.

I love that you were able to fit in so many of the storytellers! We only caught glimpses one evening but it sounds really interesting. Love the pictures from the dance in China!

It was our goal to see all of them. I had planned two Epcot days to achieve this as well as see other parts of the park.

Loved the Story tellers when I was there during the Christmas season. La Befana was great and so was Norway !! Yes the smell of gingerbread is haunting me right now !! I also enjoyed the roast chesnuts at GF, but no one else liked them !!!

I'm here, I'm here! Don't punch me! :cutie:

It was then off to Soarin for our fastpass. Loved the ride as always. The woman riding next to me saw me take my flip flops off and put them in the storage net. She asked if that was necessary. It probably isn't but I always think it is a good idea, would hate for my sandal to fall off on the ride and go who knows where.
I do the same with my sandals! I left them on one time, and spent the whole ride with my feet crossed and worried I was gonna lose a shoe, and it kinda ruined the experience. Never again!

She brought out an advent calendar and asked the audience if anybody knew what it was. Nobody was answering her so I spoke up and volunteered the answer. She then asked my name. "Lessa"

"Lisa?"

"No, Lessa"

"Liesta?"

I didn't want to drag this exchange out so I just let her think my name was Liesta... She called on me a few more times during the performance each time calling me Liesta! :laughing:
BAHAHA!!! People get my name wrong on the phone at work ALL the time. Julie, Sally, Lilly, Bobbie... It never ends. I don't even correct people anymore, I just let them call me anything. :rotfl:

She had decided to skip the German storyteller in favour of getting a set of photopass shots in Italy.

She's making the most of that Memory Maker purchase, too! :thumbsup2

I enjoyed the Lion Dance and I can only imagine the amount of practice and coordination it takes to perform it.
Man, this looks SUPER cool! I'm sorry that I missed it!

We had to hoof it over to Italy as soon as the Hanukkah presentation was over as we wanted to catch the Italian storyteller, La Befana. I really loved the story of La Befana even though it is kind of sad. Basic jist is that the three wise men/kings stopped at her home on the way to see the baby Jesus and asked her to come but she did not want to leave her home. She later changed her mind and set out to see the baby Jesus but never found him and so to this day she visits the homes of all children looking for him and leaves gifts for each child. So it is a nice story but also sad at the same time. However, La Befana does not leave gifts on Christmas Day. Instead she leaves them on Epiphany.
I remember catching this one back in 2009, and really enjoying it!

Your trip through WS has been exciting to follow. I would love to visit in December, so I can take in the holiday atmosphere in WS and listen to the storytellers. I look forward to reading more.

She's making the most of that Memory Maker purchase, too! :thumbsup2
Yes, that is right Billie, I was making the most of that Memory Maker purchase... for years the kids always complained how I never wanted to get my picture taken, and whenever I do now, the kids think it is for a dating website ... Having lost 60 lbs I was felt good, looked good, the first time in along while where I actually wanted my picture taken, I told the kids that I was building up the photo album so that they would have something to display and reminisce over at my funeral in years down the road:rolleyes1, mom just cannot win a break here... :love2:

Last edited:
Loved the Story tellers when I was there during the Christmas season. La Befana was great and so was Norway !! Yes the smell of gingerbread is haunting me right now !! I also enjoyed the roast chesnuts at GF, but no one else liked them !!!

I've never tried roast chestnuts but they sound nice.

BAHAHA!!! People get my name wrong on the phone at work ALL the time. Julie, Sally, Lilly, Bobbie... It never ends. I don't even correct people anymore, I just let them call me anything. :rotfl:

Glad I am not alone in the name struggle. It has been a lifelong battle.

Your trip through WS has been exciting to follow. I would love to visit in December, so I can take in the holiday atmosphere in WS and listen to the storytellers. I look forward to reading more.

Visiting all the storytellers is wonderful, I highly recommend it.

I'm going to try and finish off our Epcot day before I leave for vacation next week as I won't be back until the beginning of May.

We had been making pretty good time seeing all the holiday storytellers and had seen about half of them at this point.

In Mexico we got to see the most interactive of the storytellers. There was a lot of audience participation here. First they showed us a traditional dance and then they brought out a piñata followed up by a group sing along of Feliz Navidad.

We made our way to Japan to continue on our quest to see all the storytellers.

In Japan you get to hear about the Daruma doll. The storyteller tells the audience about the New Year in Japan. One makes a wish with the Daruma Doll and colours in one eye. If the wish comes true by the end of the year you colour in the other eye. The storyteller here was very energetic and fun to watch.

We had to bypass the Morocco storyteller this day as she didn't fit in our schedule that day but we had another day at Epcot planned so we would fit her in then.

We did stop for some photopass pictures though!

I was a bit annoyed nobody told me my dress had flipped up.

In France we had a bit of time to kill so we wandered the shops a bit and considered getting something to eat at the boulangerie but it was far too busy.

Mom and I got some photos and made a bit of a rude error. It did not look as though anybody was waiting for the photographer so we approached him when he was done with the current guests. There had been a couple waiting though and we had not noticed them as they were off to the side. I felt so embarrassed for inadvertently cutting in. They were very nice though and told us to go first.

The sun was setting as the storyteller came out and it made for a lovely setting.

In France Pere Noel is the storyteller and talks about traditions such as children leaving their shoes out filled with treats and Pere Noel leaves gifts in return. He also talks about the traditional Christmas feast.

Next we made our way to Canada to see the "storyteller". Canada doesn't actually have a storyteller, instead it is a musical group. They supposedly play holiday music heard around Canada but I can tell you that i never hear this style of music where I live. Perhaps in a maritime pub but it hardly seemed representative of Canada as a whole. Either way it is fun to listen to.

We had one last storyteller to see that day - Father Christmas in England. He reminded me of the Ghost of Christmas Present from Christmas Carol.

There was a fun singing of christmas songs with this storyteller.

https://youtu.be/NHEG44BobZ4

So, how do you pronounce your name, does it rhyme with Tessa?

Where is your next adventure?

Yep, rhymes with Tessa (Less - ah)

Off to Turkey for 2 1/2 weeks with my Dad and Alek.
Pretty name, I was always reading Lisa. My daughter is having a baby in Sept. I am suggesting your name. I never heard that pronouciation before.

Sneak your Travel adventures to Turkey in this TR. No one minds anymore if threads go off topic. Safe travels.

That was a really cool show at Mexico! I LOVE how they tied the bow! I really love your nighttime photo at France too.

Accidents happen- I'm glad the other guests were gracious. Could been a far worse situation if they'd gone off on you. EEK!

I was always reading Lisa.

That is what most people think when they see my name.

That was a really cool show at Mexico! I LOVE how they tied the bow! I really love your nighttime photo at France too.

Accidents happen- I'm glad the other guests were gracious. Could been a far worse situation if they'd gone off on you. EEK!

Yep, could have definitely been a scene. Thank goodness they were very gracious.

What a great trip around the World Showcase! So neat to hear about holiday traditions from around the globe. Enjoy your vacation!

I was a bit annoyed nobody told me my dress had flipped up.

Honestly, girl... I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out! Don't worry about it!

In France we had a bit of time to kill so we wandered the shops a bit and considered getting something to eat at the boulangerie but it was far too busy.
It was STUPID busy when we were there, too! (Everything was, though!)

Next we made our way to Canada to see the "storyteller". Canada doesn't actually have a storyteller, instead it is a musical group. They supposedly play holiday music heard around Canada but I can tell you that i never hear this style of music where I live. Perhaps in a maritime pub but it hardly seemed representative of Canada as a whole. Either way it is fun to listen to.
You know, this makes me wonder what people from the other WS countries think of the holiday storytellers in their home counties. For example, I wonder if Italians are like "*** is this old lady talking about?" :rotfl:

That's lovely that you got to see so many of the story tellers, it would be really interesting to hear what our traditions are meant to be :rotfl2:

Have a lovely time in Turkey and stay safe :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter