It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Needs An Eyepatch - A Dec TR Complete 8/31

We were off to our early lunch ADR at Via Napoli! This meant marching to the complete opposite side of the park. I do enjoy of stroll through a pretty much empty World Showcase though.

Mom had to get here solo picture again...

I had booked the Candlelight processional package at Via Napoli which meant that we had our own check-in desk just for CP reservations. We were checked in easily and told that we would have to come back to the same desk after our meal to collect our passes for the processional.

I had been hoping for a seat in the main room but instead we were led to the side gallery, not a big deal and I wasn't going to make a fuss and ask for a different table.

Our server arrived at the table and I saw that he was from Altamura which is a city in Puglia (Apulia) which is the region my stepfamily is from and where I spent several days of my 2015 Italy trip. Mom wanted me to tell him I was familiar with the region/city but I was too shy to start a conversation.

With the candlelight package we each got to order an appetizer, entree and a dessert plus a non-alcoholic beverage. The price per person for the lunch package was $41. This ended up being a good "deal" as each of our meals without the package would have been over $41 so we "saved" money and got guaranteed seats at the Candlelight Processional. That being said we would not normally order that much food at a meal so it was not really a savings in the true sense of the word.

I forgot to take pictures of the appetizers but we ordered the Mozzarella Caprese, Arancini, and Calamari.

For the entrees we got:

Pretty sure that is the Linguini allo Scoglio

Candele Pasta

We were all pretty full but we still had our dessert to eat!

I ordered the Tiramisu. I had wanted the Zeppoli but didn't see them on the menu??

The others liked their meals and I enjoyed mine as well although I think I had a case of disappointed expectations. I had read about how amazing the pizza here was and it was just okay in my books. Perhaps I am just a pizza snob. I know that it is not a case of not being used to "Italian" pizza as I have had many real Italian pizzas and loved them so not sure what my issue was.

I did really like the theming of the restaurant.

I loved the fresco in the main dining room. It reminded me of the frescos from the Villa of Livia that I saw in a museum in Rome. I wonder if that was what they were going for?

Via Napoli

Villa of Livia

With our bellies full it was now time to start with the World Showcase Holiday Celebrations!

Lunch at Via Napoli looks yummy and a good deal with the CP package. And great pictures of the WS on your walk over. It's strange to see it so empty!

Lunch at Via Napoli looks yummy and a good deal with the CP package. And great pictures of the WS on your walk over. It's strange to see it so empty!

I definitely think the lunch CP at Via Napoli is one of the better deals. I definitely recommend it if you want to book a package.

I enjoyed seeing WS empty but it certainly didn't stay that way!

I have to agree with you about Via Napoli pizza I too was underwhelmed with it!!! Not that it was awful just not as good as I expected !!

I have to agree with you about Via Napoli pizza I too was underwhelmed with it!!! Not that it was awful just not as good as I expected !!

Sorry about the pizza :( My H interned in the Chicago area for a summer and now has very, very high expectations for pizza.

The Candele Pasta looks amazing. I could go for some of that right now!

It's cool that you were able to get such great shots of an empty WS. A trip to Italy is on my bucket list, so your post has increased my desire to hop on a plane and wine and dine my way through that lovely country :) By the way, what was the drink in front of your mom at Via Napoli? It looked yummy.

It's cool that you were able to get such great shots of an empty WS. A trip to Italy is on my bucket list, so your post has increased my desire to hop on a plane and wine and dine my way through that lovely country :) By the way, what was the drink in front of your mom at Via Napoli? It looked yummy.

I had the Gelato Frizzante, it was very good, a refreshing way to end a good meal.

Wow, that is amazing to see an almost empty WS during the holidays! What a great opportunity to get some wonderful pictures! I have never actually done the CP package (always just stood up close in the back to watch the CP), but Via Napoli would probably be my choice too! Love the zeppoli's.......they had been off the menu but the last time we ate there they were back on, so we had to order them. Can't remember which trip that was right now (what I get for hanging around Rosie..........getting forgetful is rubbing off on me I guess :sad2:) but I hate hearing they aren't on there again! I'm one who really likes the pizza at Via. I've had lots of different styles of pizza and that is the only one I ever said I could take back to the room and have the next morning for breakfast.......... which is just totally against my norm for sure! :eek:

Yeah, underwhelming is probably the best way to put it and I put it all down to having such high expectations.

Sorry about the pizza :( My H interned in the Chicago area for a summer and now has very, very high expectations for pizza.

The Candele Pasta looks amazing. I could go for some of that right now!

Yes, maybe that is why I was disappointed. I have had truly exceptional pizza and now everything else doesn't measure up.

Definitely visit Italy! I love it and have been twice now and could go back many more times.

Wow, that is amazing to see an almost empty WS during the holidays! What a great opportunity to get some wonderful pictures! I have never actually done the CP package (always just stood up close in the back to watch the CP), but Via Napoli would probably be my choice too! Love the zeppoli's.......they had been off the menu but the last time we ate there they were back on, so we had to order them. Can't remember which trip that was right now (what I get for hanging around Rosie..........getting forgetful is rubbing off on me I guess :sad2:) but I hate hearing they aren't on there again! I'm one who really likes the pizza at Via. I've had lots of different styles of pizza and that is the only one I ever said I could take back to the room and have the next morning for breakfast.......... which is just totally against my norm for sure! :eek:

I didn't dislike the pizza, it was perfectly acceptable, just not as amazing as I had been led to believe. I would eat there again though.

I finally caught up with your TR. I have to agree, there is nothing better than an empty world showcase. Its to bad I have never experienced one. LUCKY!!! You did one more thing I really want to do... eat a pizza at Via Napoli. It always looks so good. It has to be better than pizza hut lol (almost anything would be better). I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Lessa- Your review was great for Via. Yours matches up with most everyone's I've read on the DIS and other places- acceptable, but not exceptional. But yeah, the theming looks fun and I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm one who really likes the pizza at Via. I've had lots of different styles of pizza and that is the only one I ever said I could take back to the room and have the next morning for breakfast

I'm glad you're sold on it- It's on our list, ya know. I'll let you do the ordering (or at least suggesting)!!

I had the Gelato Frizzante, it was very good, a refreshing way to end a good meal.

That did look delish !!I am sure if Tiramusu was a choice for dessert that is what I had !!!

We ate there with the group, Michael serenaded Carol as he had been paying way too much attention to you and was trying to make amends:rotfl2: I had the proscuita and melon pizza and the meat was in huge slices which was not appealing , when I go again I will pick another pizza !!

I have to agree, there is nothing better than an empty world showcase. Its to bad I have never experienced one. LUCKY!!!

It is usually fairly empty for the first hour it is open as most people are still down in Future World. At least that has been my experience.

Lessa- Your review was great for Via. Yours matches up with most everyone's I've read on the DIS and other places- acceptable, but not exceptional. But yeah, the theming looks fun and I'm willing to give it a try.

I hope you do go and that you enjoy it!

That did look delish !!I am sure if Tiramusu was a choice for dessert that is what I had !!!

Yep, Tiramisu is an option as that is what I had.

Sorry guys, no update for a few days as I am visiting my grandparents and forgot to upload pictures to photo bucket before leaving. There will be a post on Tuesday!

All caught up. I just got back from Disney and have been busy sorting out pics. Trying to decide if I want to do a report or not. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge too. I loved the views from the room.

OK I liked the Splash picture. I normally skip that and Big Thunder now. Just irritates my back so not worth it.

I can't wait till my next trip with the grandkids they will love the Castle Lighting. The one little guy LOVES Olaf so he will be thrilled. The kids will love the gingerbread house too.

I had dinner at Via Napoli a couple of years ago with my one of my friends from the DIS that I was traveling with. She loved her pizza, I opted for the veal parm which was just OK. There was a very gristly piece that just made me a little nauseous. I am a little weird like that. I did have the Zeppoli and they were very good. I think the wait staff was more fun than the meal. I have a couple of pictures I had to swear to never post in public.

I hope you enjoy your visit with Grandma Liesa!! I hope to have time to get an update in tonight or tomorrow !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter