It's a Small World Nursery Cost

Wow where do you live? Lol I do pay $10/hr for babysitting where I live, but that's for 3 kids, so it figures out to roughly about $3.33/hr/kid. Not at all $9/hr/kid. DH and I would NEVER be able to go out anywhere. We rarely do as it is and utilize family/close friends as much as possible but at that rate we'd be broke before we even made it to dinner. Lol

Where do you live, because I want to move there! :-) we pay $12 for 2 kids, and some of my neighbors go up to $15 for 2 kids. I do feel however that $9 per kid on the ship when you are already paying so much as a family to be there may be a little much....

In the 'burbs outside Toronto. Minimum wage here is $10.25.

That's pretty much the standard.

I guess it depends on how much you utilize the nursery. We used it about 8 hours but I could see on a 7 day if you were talking 14-15 hours it adds up.

Wow where do you live? Lol I do pay $10/hr for babysitting where I live, but that's for 3 kids, so it figures out to roughly about $3.33/hr/kid. Not at all $9/hr/kid. DH and I would NEVER be able to go out anywhere. We rarely do as it is and utilize family/close friends as much as possible but at that rate we'd be broke before we even made it to dinner. Lol

Wow! That's cheap! Where I love the going rate is $12-15 for ONE child.

My 17 year old makes $7-8 for 1 child (per hour) and $13-$16 for 2 kids (per hour). I don't think Disney is out of line with the increase.

While I understand increasing the price, it's frustrating for me when we already had reserved our time fir the nursery. We had budgeted for it already.

While I understand increasing the price, it's frustrating for me when we already had reserved our time fir the nursery. We had budgeted for it already.

Typically, when DCL ups the price on things, any bookings already made prior to the effective date have had the original price honored.

Disney has said if you have already booked the nursery at the lower rate, they will honor it, so you will not be affected. I know to many it seems like they are constantly raising their rates, but I know they have not raised the nursery rates in years. Our first cruise was in 2004 and I used the nursery for the $6/hr, so they have kept it at that price for many years.

In the 'burbs outside Toronto. Minimum wage here is $10.25. That's pretty much the standard. I guess it depends on how much you utilize the nursery. We used it about 8 hours but I could see on a 7 day if you were talking 14-15 hours it adds up.

We're on the 14 day WBTA. We had already budgeted for roughly 3-4 hours/day (possibly, just to give us some 'adult' time to do the tastings, pairings, etc) and for the entire trip that's a difference of over $200. So while some of you may not think $3/hr is not much, it adds up quickly. And we DID budget for the nursery, but we did NOT budget for the increase.

And my other argument is that most civilian daycare providers do not even increase their costs by that much. At the MOST you might see a 20% increase in costs, but typically it will be more around 10%. This is a 50% increase in cost. Where is that ok??? If my daycare did a 50% increase in costs I'd have to quit my job and stay at home. That's insane.

Where do you live, because I want to move there! :-) we pay $12 for 2 kids, and some of my neighbors go up to $15 for 2 kids. I do feel however that $9 per kid on the ship when you are already paying so much as a family to be there may be a little much....

We used to live in VA, but now we live on a military base in Turkey. Both places sitter would cost $10/hr. I thought that was insane I used to charge $2.50/hr when I babysat. Granted that was 20 years ago but holy cow what a HUGE inflation in just 2 decades! Lol

My 17 year old makes $7-8 for 1 child (per hour) and $13-$16 for 2 kids (per hour). I don't think Disney is out of line with the increase.
No offense and not trying to be rude, but I'm in my mid-30's and barely make $15/hr, with a college degree. Why on earth would I pay a teenager the same hourly rate I'm making to watch my kids?? Does he/she have some kind of degree in early childhood development or as an EMT or something?? That's a better hourly rate than my daycare providers (whose hourly wages ranged from $9-13/4/hr depending on their education level, $14 being for those that had a certificate in early education). And this was in VA where daycare costs were quite a bit more than some other states.

Again, not being rude but I just don't understand why I'd pay an uneducated teenager (and I mean 'uneducated' by not having any advanced schooling, but heck depending his/her grade my not have even earned a HS diploma yet, but by no means am I trying to say they are completely uneducated.) darn near the same hourly rate I make, and almost double (if experience is the same) as a provider from my daycare makes.

And where I think Disney IS out of line, is if you figure an institutional daycare providers weekly costs Disney is still way above that now. Before the increase no, and they were on path to have an increase, just not 50%. For my infant it costs $320/week. He'd be there roughly 10 hrs/day with a 9 hour work day and transit time. That's 50 hrs/week, which averages out to $6.40/hour. That's for infants under the age of 2. For 2 year olds the price drops significantly, to $275/wk which is $5.50/hr. And honestly this this more of the apples to apples comparison rather than comparing an individual babysitter. Because Disney's ship Nursery is more in line with an institutional daycare provider.

That's just my personal opinion. And yes in this manner Disney IS nickel and diming us.

We booked some time prior to increase and our reservation states $6 per hour. Our reservation i booked today states $9 per hour but I have a question. We are taking my great Nephews who are 2 and 1 they are not in day care so they dont have the experience of being with strangers. We are going to introduce them to the area during the open house. If they refuse to stay or have a melt down any time during their stay we would pick them up and cancel our plans. Would we still be charged for the entire time or just the time they were there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter