• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's a Small World Nursery Cost

Wow! This really sucks. I mean I guess it's not a huge jump, but the $6 an hour was so nice. At $9 an hour that can really add up. I just hate all of these increases that keep happening.

I wonder when this starts!? I have the nursery booked for our trip starting tomorrow on the fantasy...guess we'll see!

Bummer. That's a 50% increase! Still less than most resort sitter costs, and not likely to impact our usage, but does make me glad our youngest will be 2.5 yrs old next sailing, and 3+ for future trips.

I really feel for families with more than one using the nursery :(

Ouch. Looks like that may be all across the board...the Wonder Flounder also increased to $9/hr. All the more incentive to have my just barely shy of 3 year old potty trained for our cruise and to beg for mercy that he can go into the big kids club with his sister!!!

From Disney Cruise Line:
Effective Jan. 31, 2014 on the Disney Magic, Feb 1, 2014 on the Disney Dream, and Feb. 2, 2014 on the Disney Wonder and Disney Fantasy, pricing for the shipboard nurseries will increase from $6 per hour to $9 per hour. The second child rate will increase from $5 per hour to $8 per hour.
If you have pre-booked nursery services online at the previous rate, you will receive the rate at which they booked.

Umm, and I'm guessing we won't have the option to take very young infants (under 6 mos) Palo either? Or any tastings or late night adult venu's? (For instance the comedy shows or something?) That really bites, that's a HUGE Increase in cost especially given how limited you are in where you can bring infants on a ship. At least at the parks you can take them to shows and most restaurants even if it's an 'adult' dinner or show. Bummer.

Umm, and I'm guessing we won't have the option to take very young infants (under 6 mos) Palo either? Or any tastings or late night adult venu's? (For instance the comedy shows or something?) That really bites, that's a HUGE Increase in cost especially given how limited you are in where you can bring infants on a ship. At least at the parks you can take them to shows and most restaurants even if it's an 'adult' dinner or show. Bummer.
There are "family" shows and activities all night long, if you want to...

No if adults only there not allowed.

No if adults only there nkt allowed.

That's a real bummer. I've got 4 kids so I get how kids are. I don't see how a sleeping baby would bother anyone say in the "D" lounge while we hung out with some other adults (we don't drink so not like I'd be sitting there getting sloshy drunk with a kid in my arms).

Especially when the parks allow babies just about anywhere, why don't the ships follow the same protocol?

That's a real bummer. I've got 4 kids so I get how kids are. I don't see how a sleeping baby would bother anyone say in the "D" lounge while we hung out with some other adults (we don't drink so not like I'd be sitting there getting sloshy drunk with a kid in my arms).

Especially when the parks allow babies just about anywhere, why don't the ships follow the same protocol?

D lounge is ok as its out of the Adult area, but Palo your first question is not, DCL is strict on Adult areas.

That's a real bummer. I've got 4 kids so I get how kids are. I don't see how a sleeping baby would bother anyone say in the "D" lounge while we hung out with some other adults (we don't drink so not like I'd be sitting there getting sloshy drunk with a kid in my arms). Especially when the parks allow babies just about anywhere, why don't the ships follow the same protocol?

On the Fantasy the adult areas in Europa are strictly only for adults after 9pm. I'd think the adult clubs on the other ships would be the same.

I don't think $9 is that bad at all. We can't pay a teenager $9 around here to sit (the going rate is $10). We used the nursery several times and I thought $6 was a steal!

I don't think $9 is that bad at all. We can't pay a teenager $9 around here to sit (the going rate is $10). We used the nursery several times and I thought $6 was a steal!

Wow where do you live? Lol I do pay $10/hr for babysitting where I live, but that's for 3 kids, so it figures out to roughly about $3.33/hr/kid. Not at all $9/hr/kid. DH and I would NEVER be able to go out anywhere. We rarely do as it is and utilize family/close friends as much as possible but at that rate we'd be broke before we even made it to dinner. Lol

Because the ships are a different experience on purpose. If there weren't adult-only spaces on the ships, we wouldn't bother sailing at all.

A two-hour dinner at Palo would be $20 for the nursery. Considering that the meal itself is such a huge discount, you're still paying waaaaay less than you would in land for a similar night out, especially since you don't have to pay a sitter for the time you spend in transit to the restaurant and back.

We take nursery time into account in our vacation budget, along with tips and other things we consider essential to our cruising experience. That helps with the sticker shock, and it's always worth it for the adult alone time. The mindset is just different, even if the kid on you is just sleeping.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Wow where do you live? Lol I do pay $10/hr for babysitting where I live, but that's for 3 kids, so it figures out to roughly about $3.33/hr/kid. Not at all $9/hr/kid. DH and I would NEVER be able to go out anywhere. We rarely do as it is and utilize family/close friends as much as possible but at that rate we'd be broke before we even made it to dinner. Lol

Where do you live, because I want to move there! :-) we pay $12 for 2 kids, and some of my neighbors go up to $15 for 2 kids. I do feel however that $9 per kid on the ship when you are already paying so much as a family to be there may be a little much....

So much for DCL not nickel and diming everyone.

The nursery charge was always there, it's just increased. That's not nickel-and-diming. Now, if they suddenly charged for soda from the drink station, or charged for pool and excursion towels, that would qualify.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter