It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – an offsite, non-Disney, Christmas TR

Great updates! It looks like you had such a great time so far at SW, I am seriously thinking about adding a day there in June when we return. Working on booking FIL timeshare now and we already have our USO AP's, so low cost trip thus far. You know what I enjoy the most about your trips?? You all seem to really enjoy your family time together, it is such a wonderful thing!

We savour every moment of our family time :goodvibes . We're blessed to not only love each other, but we really like each other too. Most days :rotfl: .

If you can add in a SeaWorld day in June, absolutely do it!! Their SeaWorld Summer Nights are so much fun....the nighttime Shamu show during that event is the best one I've ever seen!

The queue area at Polar looks perfect, definitely not how it was when we went on the ride.

And yes (to your question from many pages back) it is quarters, so make sure you have a few because it's addictive!

LOL....I will start stockpiling as many quarters as I can, then :thumbsup2 . If the boys are nice to me, I may even share a couple of them with them, too ;) .

Nope, never Orlando Sea World! I went to Sea World out in California when I was probably 7, but hardly recall the details. I know I would love Sea World based on your awesome reports! I think R might stay at home though if I squeeze in any more theme parks... He's wanting more beach and pool time and less "to do". :charac2: So I definitely want to get to SW but it may not be in April :teeth:

I can see his point, especially since you guys like to go often. Its good to have some relaxing trips sprinkled in among the busy ones!!

Actually, no cookies. I was being good! There is an unconfirmed report that I ate half the pizza though :confused3

Only half??? :confused: I would say you showed some impressive self control. Especially when there were no cookies :teeth: .

Christmas day at SeaWorld looks amazing. I would love the Polar Express- it is my favorite holiday movie and I do a Polar Express- Day in my classroom each year on the day before Christmas break for my Kindergartners. I really think next Florida trip I need to do some of the amazing Orlando things from your trips. I am sure I could find a good physical therapist to help me recover if I leave tonight...

If you are Polar Express lover, then SeaWorld at Christmas is a MUST! Consider the visit a research project...on behalf of all your future students ;) .

Christmas Day, part 3 :santa::

Once we had wrapped up our visit with Santa, our stomachs were starting to rumble and we decided to rustle up some lunch. We had pre-purchased vouchers which entitled to us to an entree platter and drink at one of the participating restaurants (any of the ones included on the all day dining plan....so pretty much any location except Sharks Underwater Grill, Dine with Shamu, or the new Pretzel Kitchen) plus reserved seating at the evening Christmas shows....so now came the decision of where we wanted to dine :scratchin.

As we began strolling our way back through the park, we had a chance private meeting with Christmas Shamu in front of Shamu’s Happy Harbor....he was all by his lonesome, but we were thrilled for the chance to grab some fun character pictures. Happy dance! :banana:

We checked out the menu at the new-since-our-last-visit Terrace BBQ, but it didn’t really catch our interest.

Since we were inside and enjoying a moment of coolness in the air conditioning, we took the opportunity for washroom breaks before heading back to the waterfront. Jake dug around in his pockets for a couple of quarters to play one of the claw games located inside the Terrace BBQ building, and managed to win his Starbucks-lovin’ Sunshine a coffee-inspired stuffie for her collection.

What a goof. One of the faces only a mother could love!! :p

We couldn’t help but be wowed by the gorgeous Christmas decorations which were woven throughout this part of the park. They would be simply spectacular after the sun went down and they twinkled with thousands of lights, but even in the daylight....they were simply stunning :worship:.

For lunch, we decided on The Spice Mill .... on our last visit, we had thoroughly enjoyed their tater tots and the boys are big fans of their burger plates. The restaurant was fairly busy just after high noon but the staff were moving people through with friendly efficiency, so the wait was minimal. We were a bit disappointed to find their menu had changed somewhat since our August 2014 visit, and they had replaced our beloved tots with standard French fries. The guys both ordered a double cheeseburger platter and I had the pulled pork sandwich.

I will have to say....while we were initially disappointed about the tots replacement, the fries here were excellent....hot, crispy, and really nicely seasoned. Our entire meal, in fact, was given two thumbs up by our crew: the pulled pork was absolutely delicious (and a HUGE, massive portion that was big enough to share) and the boys were very satisfied with their big, meaty burgers :thumbsup2. Had we paid out of pocket, I think each of our entrees would have been around the $12 mark plus the cost of the drink (perhaps another $3?). Our Christmas Show Dining Package was $24 less 10% for annual passholders, so the reserved seating was actually only costing us about $6.60 per person. Niiiccce! :teeth:

We refilled our cup with more ice water before heading out, and as we left the Spice Mill (grateful that our meal vouchers did not include a dessert....we were wayyyy too full for that), we noticed that the fountains in the lake were “dancing” to the holiday music:

We found a nice little spot along the water and watched them for a few moments.....it was so pretty and relaxing. Our mission was to not rush through this special day.....to take the time to soak up the little details and features that make SeaWorld so special.

A quick check of the park schedule noted that the new-since-our-last-visit Clyde & Seamore show was starting at 1:30 pm, so we unanimously chose to make that our next attraction of the day. We are all big fans of the sea lions and were super excited to see if the new Sea Lion High show lived up to the awesomeness of the old Pirate Island production. Heading into Sea Lion Stadium, we easily found great seats with an almost dead-centre view :woohoo:.

Steve bought some popcorn from one of the vendors and offered it to Jake and I, but we both declined. Toooo full. But my Steve apparently has a stomach of iron.

I must admit, I missed the pre-show antics of the mime. You don’t realize how much something adds to the experience until its gone, and the old mime was just a true gem. That said, the new show does offer some fun entertainment from this fellow who did a lovely job at building excitement from the Christmas Day crowd. He was lively and amusing (and was armed with an assortment of corny jokes) and while not up to the hilarity of the old mime, he made the short wait for the commencement of the show very bearable and a lot of fun :).

Then, it was show time!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

The basic storyline revolves around the fact that its graduation day at Sea Lion High, but Clyde and Seamore have been found to each be short certain mandatory credits that are required before they are awarded their diplomas. With scholarships on the line (and the school jock gunning for scholarship honours), the students get to work to help Clyde and Seamore achieve their missing credits and graduate with the rest of their class.

Huddling to formulate a plan....

They spent time with the science teacher in the school laboratory:

They put the cafeteria staff through her paces over the lunch hour:

And in gym class, Clyde learned to do the Tango, complete with the requisite rose in his mouth:

Even a walrus made a BIG appearance as part of the new show!

It was a fun, high-energy, very well executed production and very much lived up to quality of Clyde & Seamore’s previous shows. Yet again, SeaWorld blew us away with another awesome and incredible show on an incredibly detailed set. So fun! :banana:

More to come! popcorn::

I was wondering how the ship was without our beloved mime. The mime has been there since I was a kid. Glad to hear they at least have some entertainment while you wait.

I have a quick question. Did you have to pay for parking at SW on your first visit? We have the evoucher email for our annual passes, but didnt know if we could just show them the email or how it would work?

I was wondering how the ship was without our beloved mime. The mime has been there since I was a kid. Glad to hear they at least have some entertainment while you wait.

The new guy doesn't start as early as the mime did, so that was a bit of a bummer, and he's nowhere near the level of funny that the mime was (but to be fair, the mime was in a category all of his own), but yeah....I was happy there was something to get the crowd energized and to pass the last little bit before show time.

I wonder whatever happened to the other performer? I would be curious to know if he's still working at SW (just in another capacity) or if he moved on.

I have a quick question. Did you have to pay for parking at SW on your first visit? We have the evoucher email for our annual passes, but didnt know if we could just show them the email or how it would work?

We used our AP's at Aquatica first, and we just had to show them our purchase confirmation at the parking booth and they gave us the free parking with no questions asked. At SeaWorld, we just showed our AP's and they waived us through....they didn't even ask for ID (which surprised me, because Universal is very, very sticky about seeing photo ID with the AP before free parking is granted).

Wow, thanks for the quick reply..you rock. My hubby said I cant find anything on Google and I told him I know who to ask!! Im guessing you printed the passes? If we have to I hope to find a place in Orlando to print them, since our printer is broke. Did you end up having to activate sunshines pass as well because of the buy1get1. We ended up just putting 2 in my name in case they would allow me to wait to activate it later..we will see.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply..you rock. My hubby said I cant find anything on Google and I told him I know who to ask!! Im guessing you printed the passes? If we have to I hope to find a place in Orlando to print them, since our printer is broke. Did you end up having to activate sunshines pass as well because of the buy1get1. We ended up just putting 2 in my name in case they would allow me to wait to activate it later..we will see.

The only thing we printed before leaving home was the purchase confirmation(s) which we were emailed. Then, we used the self-service kiosks at Aquatica to generate the actual paper passes.

When we scanned the barcode from the purchase confirmation at the kiosks (I am pretty sure you could also pull the barcode from your smartphone), it gave us the option to check off which AP's we wanted to activate. We didn't activate Sunshine's at that point, but we chose to do so at Seaworld on Christmas Day so we could get it printed on the hard plastic cards (it was being given to her as part of her Christmas gift from us when we came home, and it presented much nicer that way!). She will only be travelling with us on the one trip this year (as far as we know, anyway) so the date of activation wasn't a huge issue.

I hope that helps!! :)

I'm loving your updates and have been reading along on my phone Gina! We've been at a basketball tournament this weekend and today was a busy day but I wanted you to know I'm still following along. LOVE the Seaworld decorations. They just do a beautiful job don't they?

Wild Florida looks like a very cool place to visit! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry you guys had a rough day. We seem to hit a wall as a family a time or two while we are on vacation as well. I think it's due to the heat and humidity most times, but sometimes, we are just plain worn out. :faint:

I can't believe how empty Sea World was on Christmas Day! :eek: Love all of the decorations there. Very Christmas-y! :santa:

Yes the mime was a big hit with our family and always hilarious, we got there early just to watch him.

I too love all the flora at SW, as you said it is especially beautiful around the terrace area. Busch also has some nice spots too. I am just looking at flights for this Christmas and wondering if we can stretch to it :rolleyes: we would get the SW 3 park pass probably and DD has already said she would like to do a Christmas party at M K (if we go.......)

I'm loving your updates and have been reading along on my phone Gina! We've been at a basketball tournament this weekend and today was a busy day but I wanted you to know I'm still following along. LOVE the Seaworld decorations. They just do a beautiful job don't they?

I love that the Christmas decor is everywhere.....not just centralized in one area. When we were at MK for MNSSHP, most of the decorations were all condensed into the Main Street/Town Square/Hub area, and the balance of the park looked quite normal.

I hope the basketball tournament was lots of fun, and that the boys did well in their games. You made me a little jealous there....I miss those days!!

Wild Florida looks like a very cool place to visit! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry you guys had a rough day. We seem to hit a wall as a family a time or two while we are on vacation as well. I think it's due to the heat and humidity most times, but sometimes, we are just plain worn out. :faint:

I can't believe how empty Sea World was on Christmas Day! :eek: Love all of the decorations there. Very Christmas-y! :santa:

The heat and humidity definitely played a part. Its a tough change for the body to make, especially in the winter when its cold and damp back home and the adjustment is quite significant.

I honestly think that SeaWorld is the best kept Christmas Day secret.......one of these days, the word is going to get out and its going to be mobbed as a result. I should probably just stop posting photos and write ups now so I don't let the cat out of the bag any further :laughing:.

Yes the mime was a big hit with our family and always hilarious, we got there early just to watch him.

I too love all the flora at SW, as you said it is especially beautiful around the terrace area. Busch also has some nice spots too. I am just looking at flights for this Christmas and wondering if we can stretch to it :rolleyes: we would get the SW 3 park pass probably and DD has already said she would like to do a Christmas party at M K (if we go.......)

That was our only regret of this trip....no MVMCP. Unfortunately, we arrived one day too late.....the last party was on the 18th of December, and we flew in the morning of the 19th. I would definitely plan flights differently for the next Christmas trip (if there ever is one), as I think the Disney party would have just topped off a very festive vacation.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that a Christmas trip might work out!! You might get some good deals on SW tickets next Black Friday, too.....the Super Grover Passes always come on sale right around then, and would give you admission to Adventure Island in Tampa, too (in addition to SW, AQ, and BG).

We loved that new sea lion show. We saw it in rehearsal mode last year which was kind of neat! It's very cute, the kids really liked it and thought it was funny. That was probably their favorite. I liked the dolphin show the best, the one that has no talking.

I totally agree that Seaworld's holiday decorations were so beautiful. I would say the best I have ever seen in a theme park (and my friends here at home are surprised when I tell them that.) I have been to a MVMCP (not this year, as we also came in on the 19th as well) and it sounds like what you described for the Halloween party- most of the decor on Main Street/Hub. The Osbourne Lights in HS were also fantastic, but again those were in one section of the park. Seaworld's decorations were everywhere and all the displays (and Christmas shows) were so fabulous. Great photo opportunities all over the place.
I only wish we would have seen this mime that you are referring to that was there in the past. Sounds like he was very entertaining. We saw the Clyde and Seamore show too and we all enjoyed it as well.

We loved that new sea lion show. We saw it in rehearsal mode last year which was kind of neat! It's very cute, the kids really liked it and thought it was funny. That was probably their favorite. I liked the dolphin show the best, the one that has no talking.

We love the dolphin show, too. We didn't do any other of the daytime shows this trip....too much other seasonal stuff to squeeze in, plus we knew we would be bringing Sunshine there in April (and being a SeaWorld first timer, she is going to want to see and do it all).

Gina, the Black Friday deals, are they just for USA and Canadian residents?

That is a great questions, but I have no idea of the answer! I really couldn't tell you if they had residency restrictions on the BOGO APs. Would anyone else happen to know?

I totally agree that Seaworld's holiday decorations were so beautiful. I would say the best I have ever seen in a theme park (and my friends here at home are surprised when I tell them that.) I have been to a MVMCP (not this year, as we also came in on the 19th as well) and it sounds like what you described for the Halloween party- most of the decor on Main Street/Hub. The Osbourne Lights in HS were also fantastic, but again those were in one section of the park. Seaworld's decorations were everywhere and all the displays (and Christmas shows) were so fabulous. Great photo opportunities all over the place.
I only wish we would have seen this mime that you are referring to that was there in the past. Sounds like he was very entertaining. We saw the Clyde and Seamore show too and we all enjoyed it as well.

The mime was in a league all of his own. I certainly hoped someone else hired him for another venue. He spread a lot of smiles in his job, it would be a shame if that didn't carry on elsewhere!

Christmas Day, part 4 :santa::

After the Clyde & Seamore show concluded, the guys were eager to give Journey to Atlantis another go, so that’s where we headed next. Now mid-afternoon, crowds had picked up enough that we were very grateful for Quick Queue and the ability to bypass the lengthy standby line.

While the guys rode the ride, I checked out the Jewel of the Sea Aquarium which is located immediately beside the big drop on Atlantis. I absolutely love that SeaWorld has tucked some of these awesome little gems away adjacent to some of their bigger rides, so non thrill seekers have something fun to do while their wilder counterparts are otherwise occupied.

The glass floor in here is one of my favourite features of the aquarium. While it’s difficult to see in the photo, the fish are easily visible through the glass, swimming away happily beneath your feet :fish:.

Emerging back out into the sunshine, my timing was impeccable….I caught the boys big splashdown within seconds of securing a spot along the railing.

I think I must have startled Steve when I called out his name :laughing: :

I met the guys over at the photo kiosk to get their ride picture added to our Photokey. They were giggling like a pair of little girls as they made their way over to the photo screens:

They had conspired to “pose” on this ride…..Jake poking Steve’s belly and Steve pretending to retaliate. What a pair of meat-heads :p. They were quite proud of their foolishness, though, and were still laughing at their silliness as we made our way into an empty bench to rehydrate and check the time. There was an “engagement” we had to be mindful of….and we didn’t want to miss it ::yes::.

A little backstory to tie everything together: a wonderful poster here on the Dis is actually an employee of SeaWorld (I will not name them in case they wish to remain anonymous….though when they are reading, if they would like to chime in and wave to everyone so we know who they are, they are most welcome to do so!). When this individual read in my pre-trip report that we would be at SeaWorld on Christmas, they private messaged me to invite us backstage for a sneak peek at what goes on behind the scenes on a typical day. We were very, very grateful for such a cool opportunity, so we readily accepted the offer and agreed on a time and place to meet up with them at the park. They cautioned us that if we were late for our meet up, we might miss a rather special thing that they wanted to show us around 3 pm, so after stopping at the restrooms that’s where we headed.

There were shaded benches on which to wait just across from our meeting spot near Turtle Trek and the dolphin feeding area. We were grateful for the chance to sit down for a few minutes and get out of the stifling sun :sunny:. It was hot, hot, HOT and we were definitely feeling the humidity! We only had a few moments to wait before we had the awesome opportunity to meet this Diser in person and after quick introductions we were ushered back to the employees only area.

I simply cannot adequately describe how cool this experience was :worship:. First of all, it was so nice to finally meet this individual in person, as we have chatted multiple times over private message and they share our deep love of SeaWorld and all the park stands for. That, in itself, was super awesome (especially that they took time out of their Christmas Day for us…..that just made our hearts sing! :goodvibes).

Secondly, seeing the behind the scenes areas was incredibly interesting. We got to meet five little male dolphins who were frolicking about in their own private pool.

I hope I am remembering correctly, but I’m pretty sure these little fellows were not deemed a good personality fits for either Discovery Cove or Dolphin Cove, so they were in a large backstage pool for their own comfort and safety. As they splashed and played, this little guy even came over (repeatedly!) to give us a wave. He was quite the ham :cutie:.

We got a chance to see the beautiful boats that are utilized by SeaWorld animal care staff for rescue and release missions, and a tour of the large trailers used to transport the marine animals. We were also allowed to peek inside the backs of the trucks and trailers to see all the different equipment that they have on hand to ensure the safety and well-being of the marine life they care for.

We were taken through the areas that house the sea turtles that are in need of specialized medical care and rehabilitation:

….as well as the large pool where injured manatees are nursed back to health.

Not only did we get a chance to see some of these incredible inner workings with the animals, our friend was able to explain a lot of the stuff that a guest would never think of…..like these manatees, for example. Part of their rehabilitation is to ensure they are not only able to feed from the surface (as you saw in the above photo), but that they are also capable of eating while submerged (as they would have to do in their natural habitats). SeaWorld has designed and installed special feeders on the bottom of the pool that the manatees must consistently demonstrate they are able to eat from before they are considered fit to return to the wild (among other factors, of course).

This individual very kindly took the time to fill us in on all sorts of interesting little tidbits, from how large the manatees have to be before re-release and how many cases of lettuce these gentle beasts consume in a single day. We heard about their history (the circumstances they had been rescued from) and a little about their individual personalities as well…..one of them, apparently, doesn’t like to eat during the day but is a snacker all night long.

The coolest thing of all, though, was the chance to meet three tiny manatees (weighing only about 100 pounds a piece) who had been rescued separately and brought to SeaWorld for some tender loving care (and a second chance at life):

THIS was quite possibly the most special thing we could have witnessed on Christmas Day: those tiny little faces poking trustingly out of the water…..

….and being bottle fed by young SeaWorld staff who not only cared for the physical needs of these little creatures, but for whom their absolute love was obvious :love:.

At this point in my report, I want to give the hugest thanks (and a big virtual hug from all three of us :grouphug: ) to the very special Dis-er who made this experience possible…..as we waited at our gate at the airport, I asked the guys what their favourite part of the trip had been. Jake, without hesitation, said “going behind the scenes at SeaWorld!”. The fact that they gave up part of their Christmas Day, after fulfilling a long and busy work day of their own, to give us this unique opportunity was very touching indeed. I hope someday we can return the favour to this person in some small way. Please know how much we enjoyed ourselves, and how much we valued this opportunity!!

Eventually it was time for us all to move on, so we said goodbyes and heartfelt thank you’s and made our way back into the park. Since we hadn’t had dessert at lunch time, I asked the fellows if they were interested in a cool snack to help beat the heat….and not surprisingly, the jumped at the suggestion. Manta Soft Serve was just a short stroll away, so we meandered over to peruse their menu. The guys chose to each have a float (Fanta Orange for Steve, root beer for Jake) and I opted for a waffle bowl sundae (vanilla soft serve with caramel sauce).

The size of the snacks here were MASSIVE :eek:. Everything only came in one size (no smalls or larges, though I think they may have offered child portions), with the floats being 20 ounce and the sundae being……mountainous. Easily sharable between two people (we will remember that for next time). We thought prices were very reasonable for a theme park, and even more so considering the sheer quantities doled out. On a hot day, we could not have selected a more perfect snack……except Jake forgot to sip it slowly.

This is the face a brainfreeze makes :scared::

Each float was $4.99, and my sundae was $5.99. We were given a 10% discount as passmembers, so our total price for the three items, with tax, was $15.31.

To be continued! :surfweb:

Those baby manatees are adorable! The dolphin you pictured reminds me of a cute young dolphin we saw at the nursery in 2014. He was so playful and loved to splash everyone.

That's what my head felt like when I took too much of the orange frozen drink at the orange grove.
Don't tell my kids where the ice cream stand is though. Even if it wasn't so warm out, they'd be ready to partake of it.

With this gray day, I'm hoping for some very sunny skies over Christmas.

Great pictures and what an awesome behind the scenes tour. Sea World does do many rescues and not all stay in park, and are successfully released. I wish they would get more press for the rescuing they do.

Wow what a generous offer from your Diser friend and I am so glad it made your day, a great Christmas present to you all :goodvibes

The coolest thing of all, though, was the chance to meet three tiny manatees (weighing only about 100 pounds a piece) who had been rescued separately and brought to SeaWorld for some tender loving care (and a second chance at life)

You weren't kidding that I would flip over your manatee surprise!!! I am soooo jealous! I've loved manatees ever since I chose them for a report in fourth or fifth grade. They are so interesting and gentle and unfortunately harmed by people and boat motors. I love watching the manatee feedings at Epcot but the opportunity you guys had is just unbelievably cool. What a sweet Diser! I love this community of theme park fans. Just hearing that story brightened my day a lot!:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter