Is WL worth it??

We stayed at the WL in Jan. with a 2 yo and 6 yo. We love the WL (honeymooned there). The theming is great, the grounds are beautiful, the lobby is amazing, the balcony is nice, DD6 loved the pool, the location was great (loved rolling the stroller onto the boat to go to MK) and I like the all-in-one-building resort.

Just a note, the WL is close to the MK, but I didn't feel that the transportation was very quick. I might be wrong, but that is how I felt. The boat to MK also served FW. It took some time, but the boat ride is nice (and not folding the stroller to get on the bus is nice).

We didn't use the balcony as much as I think that we could and should have. We used it more at the end of our stay. We had to make an effort to use it, but it is great additional space.

That being said, a room at a moderate might work better. We had a pack and play for our 2 yo, and it seemed (someone might have a better idea) that the only place for it was in the door way or in the sink area. Either way, it was in the way and DD2 could stand up and see us when she was supposed to be going to sleep. Neither DD just fell asleep because of exhaustion like some kids do at WDW.

With a mod, you could put the PNP in the sink/closet area (the closet is open to the sink area) and pull the dressing curtain until your 2 yo falls asleep. Also, the door is at the opposite end of the room from the bathroom, so things might not get as clogged.

We were going to stay at POR, but, for various reasons (we had more money, we felt like we were going to spend a good amount of time at the resort with small children, etc.), we upgraded to WL. I also thought that we wouldn't be back for a few years. Well, we are going next year. I have to be honest...After staying in the same room with 2 young children for a week, I just decided that I didn't want to do it again. Before Jan., we hadn't been on a family vacation before, so it was all very new. Since then, we have been on shorter trips, and I booked suites. It has worked out much better. So, we are booked at the All Star Music Family Suites in Jan. 2008. It has a bedroom with a queen bed for me and DH, and the kids can sleep in the family room. Plus, it is less than a room at the WL.

Does that help or give you too many options???

So true....why did I not think of that when we were at CBR? :sad2: Should of hung out here, then! :happytv:

OK, we are planning our WDW vacation. Our children will be 2 and 4 when we are there. We are stuck between POFQ and WL. My question: Is the extra thousand dollars worth it for the WL? I am having a hard time deciding. I myself feel drawn to the WL because it seems so rustic and cozy--but I really want this experience to be great for the kids, as it will probably be another 2-3 years before we return. We don't mind spending the extra money if it really is worth it. We want to do Disney right!! Any advice would be great. You all really seem to know your stuff. I'd be lost if I didn't find this board!!!
TIA
Gina

I would probably pay the extra grand, just for the balcony, unless you have a view of the dreaded dumpster, nothing beats relaxing on your balcony after a busy day at the parks. I think the lodge is fabulous!

WL - if you are going to spend most of your time at MK, then it is a decent option. But, the room will likely be (or at least feel) smaller; maybe due to the bulky furniture. As for bus transport to the parks (and DTD) other than MK, it is horrible!!! You share with others, sometimes 2 other resorts, and it always took forever to get and from anywhere. The buses were jam packed too, every time. We also were not impressed with the food court, though I believe it has been renovated since we were there. It was tiny - built for WL but the food options/size were not expanded when they added the villas so it was always packed. Same for the pools - the villas have a tiny non-themed pool so most everyone went to the WL pool - very pretty but it was always crowded. We haven't stayed at POFQ since they converted the 2 resorts into one but it was a favorite and we would still be going there if we didn't love AKL so much.

If $ is NOT an concern...GO FOR IT! :cool1: Everyone seems to have their own opinion. When we are on vacation, we like to have some of the 'extras'! I would NEVER consider a room w/o a Balcony... or a 'water view' that is just our style, we also prefer the 'larger' hotels, with all the amenities inside one building; ie; bar, lounge, eateries, shops, etc. rather than running from bldg,to bldg, for whatever, check-in, checkout, laundry, drink fill-ups, etc! One example for us is we tried the CBR one year, and were just miserable! Everything was so inconveniently spread out, with three small children, a stroller w/o elevator, and a HURRICANE we had to deal with was just a horrible experience! We were 'frugal' with booking this hotel, and instead learned our lesson. Not that CBR is a 'bad' hotel, just not for us. Overall use your best judgement sometimes some extra $ is well-spent for the enjoyment of your vacation.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter