Is WL worth it??

Wow, you all have brought up some really good points. I would prefer not to do a split stay. I think that it will be easier for our DD and DS to adjust to only one new place. I think that we are leaning toward POFQ at this point. However, Elmo888 did bring up family suites at an all star resort. This might be a really good option to have a seperate napping area. I looked at the disney website but could not find info on the suites (just standard and preferred rooms). Does each all star resort have family suites and do you know if the value resorts have heated pools (we'll be going in late October or early December). Also what about the cost of these? Does anyone have a link to give me more info? I am not sure why I can't find the info?
Sorry for all the questions!!! You guys are real lifesavers. Hopefully someday I will be a dis veteran myself!

We just stayed at POFQ in April for a few nites with our then 3 1/2 year old and loved it. Everything ScrappinGran said is true. The resort is great and offers so much with its sister resort POR. The pools are great; POFQ is small enough that even though we were in Building 6, one of the further ones, you are not more than a few minutes away from the pool or foodcourt. It was great, and financially feasible. We don't do restaurants with our little guy, he just doesn't sit still long enough, so foodcourts are perfect for us.

Now having said that, we are going back to WDW in a couple of weeks and are staying at the WL. The only reason why we aren't returning this time to POFQ is that we got a room rate of $140 a nite at WL. Otherwise, I would not even think twice about staying at POFQ again. A $1000 is a lot of money; that's the cost of your tickets for the whole stay! WL will always be there and like it was said before the kids are so young they won't care where they stay this time. Also save even more money and book just a standard view at POFQ. SkipperKim was right, the water view is not worth the extra. :)

Have a great time and you'll have fun no matter which resort you choose.

We will be staying for 7 nights. Here are our thoughts:

WL pros-- boat to MK, everything under one roof, well reviewed restaurants, amazing theming

WL cons- more expensive, a little too much like home,(we can be in northern Michigan in less than half a day and get the same rustic feeling), pool looks rather small and not as colorful and exciting.

POFQ pros- Upbeat and new scenery (Louisianna is a long way from home), has a sister resort with a choice of two very well themed pools, lots of nice walking areas with Riverside, boat to downtown

Cons- further walks, only transportaion to MK by bus, no sit down restaurant on site

Oh geez--this is a hard decision!!!

We had the same conversation! :rotfl:

We live in Michigan, so those northern resorts that look so much like WL are only a couple hours from us. Everything under one roof sounds like a great perk since we're going in the winter, but so does the boat to Downtown Disney (Disney Quest sounds perfect for too cold to swim evenings). And we loved POR when we were there, but the kids simply adored the POFQ pool slide.

Right now, we're booked at POFQ. In our decisionmaking, the proximity to DTD outweighed the perks of WL (and the other Epcot & MK area deluxes). At this point, the only way we'll upgrade is if a good code comes out for a studio at SSR or OKW because we want to be close to DTD if the evenings get cool and we want something climate controlled to do after the parks close.

We have never stayed at WL, will be staying there in March '08. But we have visited and walked around. We did stay at POFQ this past March ('07).
In my opinion WL would appeal to children more. POFQ is very quiet and we loved the resort and our DD (age 11) was fine with it but she is really excited about WL. I think it appeals to children more.

I forgot to add one of the things we liked about POFQ was the boat ride and proximity to DTD, thanks to others for bringing it up! We did the boat ride to DTD the afternoon we got there, just to walk around and get that Disney feeling, and we used it another time to go shopping @ DTD.While we are talking about boats, that was one of the things we didn't like at WL. It seemed to take a long time to get to the MK!

For us, it's definitely worth it. Other than room size and resort ammenities, like spa treatments and signature dining that the Deluxes provide, one major problem with the moderates for me is the external hallways. When it rains, as it typically does in the tropics, you're either dodging the raindrops or stuck in your room. The way WL is set up, everything is self contained. When it rains, you can walk down to the lobby and read the paper, or go to the bar for cocktails, or get a bite to eat, all while stayinghigh and dry, waiting for the rain to stop.

I have to admit that the WL is beautiful - but justifying the price difference has always been a concern of mine. I did stay at WL last year that was a little bit dissapointed with the size of the rooms - they seemed much smaller than those at CBR or POR (never stayed at POFQ) they may have been the same size but it sure did not seem like it. The balcony was a nice place to relax though.:confused3

Wow, you all have brought up some really good points. I would prefer not to do a split stay. I think that it will be easier for our DD and DS to adjust to only one new place. I think that we are leaning toward POFQ at this point. However, Elmo888 did bring up family suites at an all star resort. This might be a really good option to have a seperate napping area. I looked at the disney website but could not find info on the suites (just standard and preferred rooms). Does each all star resort have family suites and do you know if the value resorts have heated pools (we'll be going in late October or early December). Also what about the cost of these? Does anyone have a link to give me more info? I am not sure why I can't find the info?
Sorry for all the questions!!! You guys are real lifesavers. Hopefully someday I will be a dis veteran myself!

If you want to find the ASMusic Family Suites at the Disney website reservations, you have to check the "Suites" box. There is only one type of suite (not "standard" or "preferred"). Only ASMusic has the family suites, and they are in the Calypso and Jazz buildings, which are both in the front of the resort (Calypso buildings are the closest to the main building).

All resorts have heated pools.

Here is a thread with a bunch of info (and pics)...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

More info, with rates...

http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_asm.htm

The Family Suites are a little more than 2 rooms at ASMusic, but you get a coffee maker (we like to BYOCoffee), microwave, and small fridge. Plus, paper and plastic ware (plate, etc.) restocked daily.

Nap time wasn't the problem in our situation. After DD2, DD6 and DH napped the most. I usually rested and/or read. If DD6 (she napped 4 out of 6 days) didn't nap, we went to the pool. It was night time that was difficult for sleeping (or more specifically, falling asleep).

We have never stayed at the WL. We did visit it in December and ate at Whispering Canyon. We did stay at POFQ and loved it. If my kids were still under 5-6 I would consider AllStar Movies. We stayed there when they were younger and they loved it.

POFQ would be a great choice also. The resort did not feel huge like most Disney resorts. Save the money and stay elsewhere. When your kids are older take them back to WL. That way they will remember the resort.

pirate:

If the extra 1000.00 is not a financial hardship for you, definately go with the WL. You will think it is so worth it when you get there and who knows, you might be upgraded to a better view. My first trip I booked standard and was upgraded to a beautiful and very peaceful woods view and my second trip, I also booked standard and was upgraded to a wonderful inner courtyard poor/water view.

I loved the boat to the MK, the geyser, the electrical water pageant, being able to see the MK fireworks from the front entrance to the hotel, the bike paths to Fort Wilderness, Whispering Canyon Cafe, the incredible lobby with the rocking chairs and giant fireplace........

Oh and even if you are in the wings, the walk to the front entrance. or back entrance is really nothing at all.

I have to admit that the WL is beautiful - but justifying the price difference has always been a concern of mine. I did stay at WL last year that was a little bit dissapointed with the size of the rooms - they seemed much smaller than those at CBR or POR (never stayed at POFQ) they may have been the same size but it sure did not seem like it. The balcony was a nice place to relax though.:confused3

I wondered if this is because of the difference in the sizes of the two beds. WL has two queens, while the mods have two full sized beds. I felt that space was tight at WL, but then I hadn't stayed at WDW with 4 people in a room as an adult before January. Sometimes, it isn't clear if things seem a certain way or are a certain way in reality. (It seemed like the rooms were bigger at POFQ than WL, but that was 6 years ago and minus 2 children.)

Maybe the floor space at WL is less than the mods because of the beds? I'll bet that someone at the DIS has the answer!

If the extra 1000.00 is not a financial hardship for you, definately go with the WL. You will think it is so worth it when you get there and who knows, you might be upgraded to a better view. My first trip I booked standard and was upgraded to a beautiful and very peaceful woods view and my second trip, I also booked standard and was upgraded to a wonderful inner courtyard poor/water view.

I loved the boat to the MK, the geyser, the electrical water pageant, being able to see the MK fireworks from the front entrance to the hotel, the bike paths to Fort Wilderness, Whispering Canyon Cafe, the incredible lobby with the rocking chairs and giant fireplace........

Oh and even if you are in the wings, the walk to the front entrance. or back entrance is really nothing at all.

I agree. If you look around the board a little, lots of people get upgraded from Standard View alll the time. Last year, I got a pin code and could only use it if I didn't mind upgrading to courtyard view and saving over $300!(you can't count on it though.) We did not find the walk to anywhere long at all. In fact it seems like the lobby (gorgeous!) is close to everything. My kids never fell asleep at any of the parks, but my youngest slept well and napped everyday. We put pack and play in the sink area, and had no problems.

I chose the WL for my first visit to WDW with my 4y/o son. I think he will enjoy the theme and the boat trips to the MK. I am only staying 4 nights so the difference in money was not so big. I just wanted this to be extra special for his 4th birthday. We will be there Sept 15-19.

:wave:

Just to add a litlte something to your decision making! ;)

About the longer walk - if your room at WL is down one of long wings, it could be as far or further. :)

French Quarter is small and cozy, nothing is more than a 6 min walk - with little ones would probably take longer without a stroller, but it would not be any longer than a room at the end of one of the WL wings.

Of course, if you like rustic, you could save $1000, stay at Riverside and request AB building 14 or 15 - very close to the bus and food court.:)

Just this week we changed a reservation at WL Courtyard view to the Swan becasue we found a special rate of $178 (inc tx) at the Swan - nice savings and we'll be walking distance to EPCOT and MGM. :flower3:

Am sure whichever resort you choose, you'll have a wonderful trip (maybe even more fun with an extra $1000 for more character meals and fun things!).

:goodvibes

I was going to say the same thing about the walk. A friend of mine stayed at both WL and POFQ and said her walk with the carriage was shorter at POFQ. Now, I haven't stayed at either resort, so maybe I shouldn't be posting. :)

They are both beautiful resorts, but if it were me I'd go with POFQ.

We have stayed at both resorts. I liked POFQ better in many ways. The room layout was better there than WL. The furniture at WL is bigger I think than the furniture in the mods, at least that was what it seemed. There just didn't seem to be any room to move around, and there were only 3 of us. I loved the theming of WL and we stayed last Dec, so it was decorated for Christmas. It was beautiful. But I think I would rather have saved the money and stayed at FQ again. We typically don't spend a lot of time in our room, so it doesn't make sense to spend so much. With two kids and a stroller, etc. you might find it cramped quarters at WL. The transportation issue-while the boat ride to MK is nice, if it is chilly, its not so great. The bus is at least warm if it is cool outside, and you don't have to go over to FW. My DD was 5 when we stayed at FQ and she LOVED the pool there. She was not overly impressed with the WL pool. Also, the food court issue (which no one else has mentioned). Roaring Fork is not so much a food court, as a place to get something from a very limited menu. I really like that the mods have more choices for counter service. That could be a consideration for you with the kids.

I guess it is a matter of what is important to your family-but I would keep the $1000 and do something special-character meals (which for your kids ages would be a blast) or the Illuminations cruise of something like that.

Either way, have a great trip!!!

I have not stayed at POFQ, but I really liked WL when we stayed there last time! The pool id awesome and very cute! The theme is adorable! The boat is so easy to take to MK...really liked that last time we were there! The views are fantastic and it is a great resort, even though it is not on the monorail!

I vote for WL. We have stayed at both POR and WL with our DS. The boat to MK can not be beat. It was nice to have the balcony at WL when DS napped. Also, the queen size beds are at the WL, I know we had a hard time getting comfortable at POR due to the full size beds. The remodeled rooms at WL seem to have more space than the old rooms did. The beds are not as bulky as they used to be, the tv cabinet is also more streamlined. The pool may be a little small at the WL, but they do have a nice kiddie pool. The kids will love the waterfall and geyser.

My kids were 3 and 5 when we stayed at POFQ in Jan of 2003. It worked perfectly for us. The resort was easy to get around, they LOVED the pool, the buses were frequent and POFQ is the first stop for those getting on (it also serves PO Riverside), so finding a seat was never a problem; I also believe it was the first stop when getting off if memory serves me correctly. We thought the food court was great.

This Nov. we're headed back. We will be staying at the WL for 2 nights before heading to Old Key West for 5 nights there (sister is DVC member). I wanted to try the WL and at this time (our daughter will just be turning 8 and our son will still be 9 (one month later and he'd be considered an adult). I have the feeling that they might get more out of the WL at this time than at our previous visits. I ask them now what they remember about their previous stay at POFQ and usually the answer is "the slide".

I would recommend saving the money, spend it on character meals, souvenirs, etc...at this age they most likely will not remember. POFQ is great and I most likely will stay there again. I had a tough time with our WL ressie, switched it back and forth several times, but at this stage decided to give it a try(had it been for more than 2 nights, most likely We'd be at POFQ) -even though my kids keep telling me they want to go back to "the slide":confused3

Whatever you end up doing, you WILL have a MAGICAL time!!!:banana:

you can sometimes get really great rates at the WL....
we once went at a very slow time of year (first week of september) and got a rate that was cheaper than the moderates....
that was for a standard view, but still it was unbelievable...

since your kids are not in school yet, i would aim for a slow period of the year (like the first two weeks of september) to try to get a special rate....

by the way, since i didn't say, WL is one of our favorite resorts....our favorite is the GF and our second favorite is the WL....so of course, i would encourage you to go for the WL....it is such a beautiful place ...we LOVE it there....love love love love love it....

regarding your michigan comment, i'm originally from Michigan -- the WL is more like the US northwest than northern michigan...

We stayed at WL last November and the holiday decorations were up. It was magnificent. We woke up our first morning and overnight all the Christmas decorations went up. Truly magical. My DD6 at the time and DS almost 3 at the time loved it. The lobby is great and my DD said it really made her want to relax. The Whispering Canyon Cafe was great. It was just me and kids that trip so I booked the WL thinking it would be easier to have everything under one roof and that I could just wheel the stoller onto the boat. While it was nice having everything under one roof in the evenings the stroller plan did not always work out as well becuase sometimes a smaller boat came. Also, if we were going to another park like AK we always went to GF first to pick up guests and sometime the WL stopped at the campground first so everything seemed to take a long time.

With that said, I did not think the extra $1000 worth it and we are renting points from DVC and staying at SSR this fall trip for less then WL. We went in June also and I did not have to choose the resort as it was a work related conference at Coronado Springs and I brought family along. But let me say DS3 loved the moderate resort every bit as much as WL. So did DD. They have a great pool and the playground area is so much better then that of WL. It has climbers, swings a big sand area. He loves playgrounds and was so happy to swim and play there in the afternoons. The biggest drawback was a few of the night it rained and we wanted to go eat and had to walk around lake with rain ponchos on. If we had been at WL we would not have had the walking in the rain issue. We've also been to POR which we loved and I think the moderates are just as magical and great as the WL. This trip Iwill take the extra money and do a few nice character dinners and make DD an appt to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and get them a few things at DDT with the money saved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter