• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is tony's really that bad?

We had a great meal there last May, in fact it was my birthday dinner. I had the caesar salad and the chicken parmigiana and I loved it. I would definitly give it a try.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choices in MK.

This is entirely my opinion, and I've got my flame suit on.

In my opinion, if you're expecting real Italian food avoid it like the plague.

If you're okay with food that is, in my opinion, of lesser quality than Olive Garden, it's fine. Some people love Olive Garden, and that's their business...different strokes for different folks. I, however, refuse to eat there.

Full Disclosure: This is coming from someone who a) grew up in an Italian home where homemade pasta and sauces that simmered for hours were the norm on holidays and b) refers to Olive Garden as the Italian McDonald's.

We eat here at least once during our trip and we really like it. We usually have an early lunch and headed into MK just before our reservation. We like the food and the atmosphere. We wouldn't call it "authentic/traditional" Italian food but we have found the service is great ( amazing with allergies)

Take a look at the restaurant reviews posted at WDWinfo and you'll see that Tony's gets some of the lowest overall scores. That's indicative that some folks like it but overall its pretty low as compared to the other restaurants.

We ate there last month and did not like it at all.

I had the chicken parm and my son had the spaghetti and meatballs. We barely ate any of it and will not return. We ate ate Tutto Italia two nights before and that might be what ruined Tony's for us.

Ate there once and it was actually pretty good. I didnt have the red sauce though and I understand that's the not so good part about Tony's. Ate there a second time and it was eh. It's edible, but we'd rather go elsewhere on the property.

We have eaten at Tony's 3 or 4 times and always had decent meals. I will say that we've never ordered anything with a red sauce there. Try to eat out in the patio room - you can see the parade go by and it's really fun.

My DD and DH loved their steaks and I have gotten pretty good shrimp scampi. I've also made a meal out of their calamari (very good!) and salad.

On the other hand, we've eaten twice at Mama Melrose and will never go back. The red sauce is terrible so the second time I ordered steak - it was at least 1/3 gristle. Really bad and I have pretty low standards when I'm dining at a theme park.

I've never had a problem with it. The service was very attentive and while I definitely had better food elsewhere in WDW, it was still decent.

There are much better table service options to eat in MK, including the Plaza, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Be Our Guest. Tony's regularly garners some of the lowest scores for food quality of all Disney restaurants for a reason. The food is INCREDIBLY variable. Some days it's good. Some days it's bad. Some days it's REALLY bad.

Growing up in an Italian family, and living in an area with excellent Italian restaurants and pizzerias, I know what excellent Italian is supposed to taste like. I consider Olive Garden to be "good" (but not excellent) Italian food. Tony's, the last time I ate there, I'd consider "inedible". The chicken parm was burnt. The pasta was mush. The sauce had little taste. My wife's meal contained rubbery seafood and underdone pasta smothered in a sauce that was improperly prepared and was separating before it was even served to her. IIRC, the bread was the only thing in the entire meal that they didn't manage to ruin. But, remember, I'm an Italian food snob. You may luck out and eat there on one of their "good" days and have lower expectations than I...

A couple years ago we had a GREAT meal there. Great service and great food. DD and I were excited to go back last year for her birthday meal. It was not good. Neither of our meals were good and the service was just service, nothing special. We won't be back for a while.

Most of the time if we try a WDW restaurant and it is "eh", we will give it another try on a future visit. For us, Tonys is on a very short list of (2) places that we tried once and will never, ever, ever go back. Just awful all around.

It's on my list as one of the worst values for the money in WDW, for whatever that is worth.

We went there on our last trip in October even after reading all of the horrible reviews. Honestly, it was NOT bad. It wasn't my favorite place but I thought the food tasted great, the value was good (we were on the free dining plan though) and everyone was very friendly there. I'm not sure why people gripe so much. Try it for yourself before you decide against it because of something you read!

We've been to Tony's twice. Once in 2010, and again in 2012.

It's pretty good, but I don't know that I'd call it pretty good Italian...if that makes any sense. The Chicken Parmesan was a huge serving. It was well cooked, the chicken wasn't dry or tough. The breading wasn't burned or greasy. They sauce had some flavor, but didn't merit raves. The second year I had the Baked Ziti. That day in December it was a little cool outside and a nice warm meal was just what I needed. No overpowering flavors, but it was tasty.

Service was great for us both times.

It's a convenient TS restaurant for our normal plans. It isn't a destination for us, but it has been dependable.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choices in MK.

This is entirely my opinion, and I've got my flame suit on.

In my opinion, if you're expecting real Italian food avoid it like the plague.

If you're okay with food that is, in my opinion, of lesser quality than Olive Garden, it's fine. Some people love Olive Garden, and that's their business...different strokes for different folks. I, however, refuse to eat there.

Full Disclosure: This is coming from someone who a) grew up in an Italian home where homemade pasta and sauces that simmered for hours were the norm on holidays and b) refers to Olive Garden as the Italian McDonald's.

I like Olive Garden, and I found Tony's to be inedible. I am not hard to please at restaurants, I eat almost anything. I found Tonys to be disgusting.

Yes this is me too. Im easy to please too. I LOVE Olive Garden but I found Tonys to be beyond disgusting. AWFUL.

dakcp2001 said:
I like Olive Garden, and I found Tony's to be inedible. I am not hard to please at restaurants, I eat almost anything. I found Tonys to be disgusting.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

My sister and I tried Tony's for the first time in May. It wasn't bad, I give it a solid B. We live in a state with real Italian food too. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't put those places out of business, but the meal was fine and I really liked the location. We ate there the night we got in..so it was a nice intro to the trip.

We thought Tony's was mediocre at best. They sat us immediately which was great, but the food came out so quick. We were on DxDP so we had an app, entree and dessert and we were out of there within 45 minutes. Might be good for some people but we wanted to relax and felt rushed. Not my first choice at MK, but I'd rather eat there than QS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter