Is this realistic?

Balancing everything is tough. I hope you both are able to figure out what will make you feel good about what you are doing.

Dirty Girl was rough today. They moved it to a motocross track so it was 3.1 miles of hills with some obstacles thrown in. The first obstacle was jumping over fire which was kinda weird. I'd think that would be for the end. Overall it was fun. The mud this year was a lot thicker and much deeper in the obstacles. They gave out more swag this year too. A bag and medal plus the t shirt.

I'm glad that I went. I almost didn't because my aunt passed away unexpectedly a couple days ago so services are the next two days. I really wasn't feeling getting out there at all. Now I think I needed it even more because it gave me an outlet.

I hope you guys enjoy what's left of the weekend.

How did it go?

You can use your TOT - it has to be a Ten Mile race or longer.

I was concerned from the beginning that your goals weren't realistic. It's not that I don't think that you could have achieved them with hard work, just that I didn't think your lifestyle right now (working hours in particular), is conducive to doing so. There's also a lot of pain that seems to be associated with the hours on your feet that you've been struggling to work though. Better to realize it now then when you fail in the moment, because now you have the chance to re-assess and set goals that fit what training you've been able to do.

I've been struggling with my new job and marathon training, too. And I recently realized that the shoulder injury that sidelined me from most circus activity is hurting me, too. I used to do hard core work 2-3 times and week, but now I don't have the time to go to classes on weeknights, most weekend classes aren't the kind I need, and my attempts to make it to the gym at work consistently have mostly failed. I make it maybe once a week. That's not enough. I'm running, but I'm not getting enough rest. So...I am still going to run, but I'm not sure I'll improve my time this year, which was my goal. I'll probably reassess my ability to do that in a couple of weeks and decide where my goal pace should be.

StayCool- How did your race go?

I feel better knowing I can't make my pace worse. Now I can go relax and just enjoy. I realize my goals were tough. I knew they were all along. If I didn't get hurt I think they would have still be difficult to reach. I was making progress though. Now I am hoping to just have fun with the races and be able to walk after them and call this year a wash, or at least a learning experience.

I haven't done any core training at all. It is part of the excuses I gave into because of my injury and the mood I was in all summer. But, it is so hard to maintain a full time job, run the miles needed to do these races and still cross train 3 times a week.

I really do need to tighten up on my diet though and try to kick start the weight loss again. If I end up having company in January I don't want to be embarrassed taking my shirt off and at this point I still am.

But, at least I am not still on the couch like I used to be. I may not be where I want but I am miles ahead of where I used to be and I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing - I'm halfway through my vacation :)

StayCool - I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, good for you for still getting out there and doing the Dirty Girl

Chiomaca - glad you had a relaxing vacation sorry it was so crazy when you got back

Waitingtogoback - you are doing good even though it doesn't feel like it to you. You are way ahead of where you were before and miles ahead of me!!

I'm glad that I went. I almost didn't because my aunt passed away unexpectedly a couple days ago so services are the next two days. I really wasn't feeling getting out there at all. Now I think I needed it even more because it gave me an outlet.
I think you're better off having gone as well. I remember taking refuge in running for a while after my step-dad passed away, though that was as much to get away from the tension in the house as grief. Still, it's a good way to work out your emotions.

Now I can go relax and just enjoy.
And admirable goal in itself :-)

I haven't done any core training at all. It is part of the excuses I gave into because of my injury and the mood I was in all summer. But, it is so hard to maintain a full time job, run the miles needed to do these races and still cross train 3 times a week.
It is hard - I don't cross train as much as I'd like, but I'm aiming to improve with my Tuesday/Thursday workouts. Two days a week is enough for me, though three would be better. I made it to a conditioning class today and am going to feel it tomorrow. In a good way.

I'm halfway through my vacation
Yay! Hope you're having a great time.

Dizzy- Enjoy the rest of your vacation. And thanks for the encouragement.

Chiomaca- I am getting up tomorrow to do a P90X workout and I will feel it for a few days after but I need it. I haven't done enough but it does feel good when you get back to it.

I went out for my run this morning. I didn't even make it to the end of my street and it hurt too much so I made a decision. I turned around and headed back to the house and got out the bike. I did 24 miles on the bike today and I decided I am not doing anymore running until my 1/2 marathon on 9/12. I have been walking on the side of my foot for about 2 weeks to avoid putting it flat cuz it hurts to much. I put all the pieces together and I know I made the right decision.

Now the only thing left to figure out is, if it is possible to train for these races using a bike. But I will do my best to find out. I am pretty sure I will at least run the 1/2 in September because things should be good enough after not running for 2 weeks. I may skip my October marathon, depending on how things feel as it gets closer. Now I will focus on some serious miles on the bike (now that the kids start school this week I will have some free time to myself to really pack on those miles) and get back to the cross training.

At this point I just want to make it to January and be able to run that race in as little pain as possible and also be able to walk around the parks.

Balancing everything is tough. I hope you both are able to figure out what will make you feel good about what you are doing.

Dirty Girl was rough today. They moved it to a motocross track so it was 3.1 miles of hills with some obstacles thrown in. The first obstacle was jumping over fire which was kinda weird. I'd think that would be for the end. Overall it was fun. The mud this year was a lot thicker and much deeper in the obstacles. They gave out more swag this year too. A bag and medal plus the t shirt.

I hope you guys enjoy what's left of the weekend.

StayCool- Sorry, I missed this post somehow. You must have posted it right when I posted mine the same night and I never saw it. I didn't even get an email that you posted. Sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm glad you had a good time with your run. I always wanted to try one of those mud runs, they look like a blast.

I did my first P90X workout today. I am already sore, tomorrow should be fun. Up early for a bike ride in the morning. Everyone have a good night.

Dizzy- Enjoy the rest of your vacation. And thanks for the encouragement.

Chiomaca- I am getting up tomorrow to do a P90X workout and I will feel it for a few days after but I need it. I haven't done enough but it does feel good when you get back to it.

I went out for my run this morning. I didn't even make it to the end of my street and it hurt too much so I made a decision. I turned around and headed back to the house and got out the bike. I did 24 miles on the bike today and I decided I am not doing anymore running until my 1/2 marathon on 9/12. I have been walking on the side of my foot for about 2 weeks to avoid putting it flat cuz it hurts to much. I put all the pieces together and I know I made the right decision.

Now the only thing left to figure out is, if it is possible to train for these races using a bike. But I will do my best to find out. I am pretty sure I will at least run the 1/2 in September because things should be good enough after not running for 2 weeks. I may skip my October marathon, depending on how things feel as it gets closer. Now I will focus on some serious miles on the bike (now that the kids start school this week I will have some free time to myself to really pack on those miles) and get back to the cross training.

At this point I just want to make it to January and be able to run that race in as little pain as possible and also be able to walk around the parks.
Wow, so sorry to hear that that pain is that bad. Rest is probably your best bet I'd say. The bike is a great idea if you're pain free.

I ran Monday, just shy of 5 miles because I underestimated the route. And had the reluctant hound in tow...he has taken to refusing to go back into the house if he knows that my dog and I are going to stay out. Got in a 30 minute strength workout today, I took most of the exercises from Sunday's class, which was core and upper body-centric, and added a bunch of leg/glute exercises to round it out and keep my hips and butt stable. I didn't rest much between exercises, so it was a bit of a cardio workout, too. I need to do that again.

Long days are the norm right now...I really only get about 2 - 2.5 hours awake at home in the evening, and one hour or so in the mornings, so I'm trying to maximize things.

Wow, so sorry to hear that that pain is that bad. Rest is probably your best bet I'd say. The bike is a great idea if you're pain free.

I ran Monday, just shy of 5 miles because I underestimated the route. And had the reluctant hound in tow...he has taken to refusing to go back into the house if he knows that my dog and I are going to stay out. Got in a 30 minute strength workout today, I took most of the exercises from Sunday's class, which was core and upper body-centric, and added a bunch of leg/glute exercises to round it out and keep my hips and butt stable. I didn't rest much between exercises, so it was a bit of a cardio workout, too. I need to do that again.

Long days are the norm right now...I really only get about 2 - 2.5 hours awake at home in the evening, and one hour or so in the mornings, so I'm trying to maximize things.

Honestly, I could deal with the pain in my foot. I know it isn't getting worse even if it hurts. It's just there and I can suck it up. That, in combination with my right shin pain makes it really hard to deal with. It hurts to even touch my shin, although it's getting better.

Good for you for getting in your workouts. I believe everything happens for a reason and maybe my foot it hurting to show me that I should be doing more of a full body training program. Reading your post kinda pointed that out. You ended with, "I need to do that again." I was so focused on running this summer and I do feel good after having done my P90X workout. Well, I'm sore, but it felt just as good mentally to do that. Maybe we do need that stuff just as much as the running?

Waiting2goback, I think you are right. Focusing on more than just running will help everything. And it will help give your legs a break since you are running and biking so much.

I need to get back in motion as well. Zumba will start this coming week so that is one thing I hope to start doing regularly. The kids go back to school next Wednesday so that gives me Friday mornings free so I can get out every week and do my 5 mile loop without interruption. I still really want to do the personal training or boot camp but I think I will wait until October. My son broke his finger in football last Sunday so we will be seeing orthopedics today. And my friend that is going to do it with me, her son injured his elbow at practice last week and sees orthopedics on Friday. Blah. I've been waiting for him to open a bootcamp class but he hasn't so I should probably call and find out.

I did book my cruise and we will be going for 9 days to Bermuda and the Bahamas... kid free!!! :) I can't even say how excited I am since my last kid free trip was in 2011. I'm just looking forward to relaxing.

Good for you for getting in your workouts. I believe everything happens for a reason and maybe my foot it hurting to show me that I should be doing more of a full body training program. Reading your post kinda pointed that out. You ended with, "I need to do that again." I was so focused on running this summer and I do feel good after having done my P90X workout. Well, I'm sore, but it felt just as good mentally to do that. Maybe we do need that stuff just as much as the running?
Absolutely! Running is a full body workout even if you don't realize it. There's a good chance you can work through your shin and foot pain through strengthening the rest of your body - my knee problems are directly linked to hip stability and glute (lack of) strength. After some research and working with my trainer friends, my strength workouts always include single leg exercises with weights (dead lifts, lunges, step ups, pistol squats) and dynamic stretching. I'm pretty sure my circus training core strength is what got me through my first year of distance running.

The kids go back to school next Wednesday so that gives me Friday mornings free so I can get out every week and do my 5 mile loop without interruption. I still really want to do the personal training or boot camp but I think I will wait until October.
Yay for back to school! But...you need to stop putting things off if you're going to be serious about losing weight and being in shape. Since I'm blunt with poor Waiting2goback...I will point out that you always have something on the horizon that you'll start doing things after - when you were so consistent this time last year before ToT. There's always something, always, you have to win the battle between your desire to be healthier and your reasons to do other things - it's a battle I fight every morning when the alarm goes off at 4am...I try to win more often than I lose.

I did book my cruise and we will be going for 9 days to Bermuda and the Bahamas... kid free!!!
That sounds like great fun!

Waiting2goback, I think you are right. Focusing on more than just running will help everything. And it will help give your legs a break since you are running and biking so much.

I need to get back in motion as well. Zumba will start this coming week so that is one thing I hope to start doing regularly. The kids go back to school next Wednesday so that gives me Friday mornings free so I can get out every week and do my 5 mile loop without interruption. I still really want to do the personal training or boot camp but I think I will wait until October. My son broke his finger in football last Sunday so we will be seeing orthopedics today. And my friend that is going to do it with me, her son injured his elbow at practice last week and sees orthopedics on Friday. Blah. I've been waiting for him to open a bootcamp class but he hasn't so I should probably call and find out.

I did book my cruise and we will be going for 9 days to Bermuda and the Bahamas... kid free!!! :) I can't even say how excited I am since my last kid free trip was in 2011. I'm just looking forward to relaxing.

I will say that it is easier to get in a routine when the kids are in school. But, I am in agreement with Chiomaca, you just need to do it. My biggest fear for you was always that you don't have momentum doing into the winter, which you admit is a hard time for you eating and exercise wise. And now you have a cruise to look good on.

Congrats on the cruise. When are you going? Which cruise line you using?

Absolutely! Running is a full body workout even if you don't realize it. There's a good chance you can work through your shin and foot pain through strengthening the rest of your body - my knee problems are directly linked to hip stability and glute (lack of) strength. After some research and working with my trainer friends, my strength workouts always include single leg exercises with weights (dead lifts, lunges, step ups, pistol squats) and dynamic stretching. I'm pretty sure my circus training core strength is what got me through my first year of distance running.

Yay for back to school! But...you need to stop putting things off if you're going to be serious about losing weight and being in shape. Since I'm blunt with poor Waiting2goback...I will point out that you always have something on the horizon that you'll start doing things after - when you were so consistent this time last year before ToT. There's always something, always, you have to win the battle between your desire to be healthier and your reasons to do other things - it's a battle I fight every morning when the alarm goes off at 4am...I try to win more often than I lose.

That sounds like great fun!

This year has been more of a learning experience than even last year. I had the biggest goals and in my mind I am failing big time. On the marathon thread they do posts for your mileage for the month. I posted a whopping 72 miles of running for the month. That is kinda pathetic when training for a marathon, IMO. I always swore I would never miss a race I signed up for and it is not looking good for next Saturday.

It was a harder year because I worked. I mean I did get up early to get runs in and stuff. I FELT like I was putting in the effort. I was always tired. I didn't quit when I was hurt. And yet, I didn't lose anymore weight, I didn't even average 20 miles a week in August, I am injured, and I may miss a race or two. I could scream right now.

OK, I vented, AGAIN. Sorry guys. I try to be positive on here but this last month is dragging me down.

I do need to stop putting it off. I totally agree. I just haven't been able to get myself into a routine since I stopped going to Zumba. I've been a lot more active this summer than I have ever been but have not followed any formal kind of exercise program. I did get in touch with the gym about personal training and boot camp in October. I have to set up an appointment with them about my fitness goals. I don't know if I can get out of bed at 4 am. I hate mornings with a passion. I do have all the 21 day fix dvds though.

I will say that it is easier to get in a routine when the kids are in school. But, I am in agreement with Chiomaca, you just need to do it. My biggest fear for you was always that you don't have momentum doing into the winter, which you admit is a hard time for you eating and exercise wise. And now you have a cruise to look good on.

Congrats on the cruise. When are you going? Which cruise line you using?

It was a harder year because I worked. I mean I did get up early to get runs in and stuff. I FELT like I was putting in the effort. I was always tired. I didn't quit when I was hurt. And yet, I didn't lose anymore weight, I didn't even average 20 miles a week in August, I am injured, and I may miss a race or two. I could scream right now.

Hopefully the cruise will give me some external motivation... We are going in the beginning of next July through Royal Caribbean. It stops in Bermuda and Nassau as well as Coco Cay. It is 9 days so I am super excited to just relax. :D

You did have a lot going on this year that was new. Another thing to remember is that it is very rare to actually lose weight while training for a marathon. A lot of people gain. Just take care of your body. There will be more opportunities.

I do need to stop putting it off. I totally agree. I just haven't been able to get myself into a routine since I stopped going to Zumba. I've been a lot more active this summer than I have ever been but have not followed any formal kind of exercise program. I did get in touch with the gym about personal training and boot camp in October. I have to set up an appointment with them about my fitness goals. I don't know if I can get out of bed at 4 am. I hate mornings with a passion. I do have all the 21 day fix dvds though.

Hopefully the cruise will give me some external motivation... We are going in the beginning of next July through Royal Caribbean. It stops in Bermuda and Nassau as well as Coco Cay. It is 9 days so I am super excited to just relax. :D

You did have a lot going on this year that was new. Another thing to remember is that it is very rare to actually lose weight while training for a marathon. A lot of people gain. Just take care of your body. There will be more opportunities.

Sounds like you have plenty of motivation now. It sounds like a great cruise and it is less than a year away. How is your husband doing on his weight loss?

My motivation is lacking but I'm trying. I am down 2.2 lbs this week so at least that's something. My husband is pretty much given up on it totally. He hasn't gained all the weight back, just a couple of pounds. I'm working on getting him tracking again as well as getting myself going. It's much easier when we are both doing it. I did throw the cruise at him as an external motivator as well but I don't think he cares that much.

It is going to sound silly but once we stop grilling I think we will do better. We wil start using the clean eating recipes again and they are kinda portion sized for you. Either way we need to figure it out.

Ok, I'm looking for motivation. Here's the backstory. I'm about 100 lbs overweight. I'm doing weight watchers and have my good days and my bad days... :blush:

I have finally made reservations for our first Disney trip. While we are down there the 10 mile TOT race is going on. My thing is this; could I actually run it if I start training now? My friend just asked me to do a color run in April so I could start with the couch to 5 k and continue on. I could sign up for the 5k, but the TOT race looks like so much more fun... I'm not going to rush and sign up for anything yet, but I'm thinking it might give me some motivation to follow through. Thoughts?

I am fat and try to walk 3 days a week. I would do what ever is comfortable. Having said that you could always book the 10 mile and not finish it there is no shame in doing your best and trying your hardest. I lost alot of weight which I have gained back now . I am trying to do things slow so I do not loose and gain back the week. There is nothing wrong with having a bad day we are all human

This year has been more of a learning experience than even last year. I had the biggest goals and in my mind I am failing big time. On the marathon thread they do posts for your mileage for the month. I posted a whopping 72 miles of running for the month. That is kinda pathetic when training for a marathon, IMO. I always swore I would never miss a race I signed up for and it is not looking good for next Saturday.
That's actually about where I posted for August - but I took about a week and a half off to let my body recover from the strain of the new routine - and the Pensacola trip didn't do me any favors. You have to look at it and use it as a motivator to improve, not to give up or beat yourself up.

I mean I did get up early to get runs in and stuff. I FELT like I was putting in the effort. I was always tired. I didn't quit when I was hurt.
You put in some effort, but you did a lot of cutting things short when you didn't feel good. I think you're at a point where it's becoming self-fulfilling....you know it's not going to feel good, so when it doesn't, you cut the workouts off. At some point, you need to take a full week or so to rest (like I did in mid-August - my shins were killing me and I didn't want them to take me out later) and recover, then get at it again - and stick with the plan even if it sucks.

I did get in touch with the gym about personal training and boot camp in October. I have to set up an appointment with them about my fitness goals. I don't know if I can get out of bed at 4 am. I hate mornings with a passion. I do have all the 21 day fix dvds though.
Yeah, my 4am wake-ups are miserable. I'm happy to have a bunch of animals who are okay with it, but I'd rather not be awake then! Glad you got in touch with the gym, though.

I would do what ever is comfortable. Having said that you could always book the 10 mile and not finish it there is no shame in doing your best and trying your hardest.
Welcome Adam. StayCool ran the race last year and is now working on her next set of goals, which like you includes eating well and weight control. Good luck.

That's actually about where I posted for August - but I took about a week and a half off to let my body recover from the strain of the new routine - and the Pensacola trip didn't do me any favors. You have to look at it and use it as a motivator to improve, not to give up or beat yourself up.

You put in some effort, but you did a lot of cutting things short when you didn't feel good. I think you're at a point where it's becoming self-fulfilling....you know it's not going to feel good, so when it doesn't, you cut the workouts off. At some point, you need to take a full week or so to rest (like I did in mid-August - my shins were killing me and I didn't want them to take me out later) and recover, then get at it again - and stick with the plan even if it sucks.

I realize I made a mistake not shutting it down weeks ago. So I know you are right. I was just being stubborn. But, I finally did and my foot feels better its not 100%, and probably won't be until after January. I am not sure about my shin. I was going to go for an easy run tomorrow to see how it is so I will be able to figure out what I am doing for my race Saturday. I still really want to run this race even if I just take it slow. But, this is all just a learning experience at this point.

I did forget to add that I made this weekend's 16 mile run, which was pretty slow because we take turns with the slower runners of the group and it was my turn. Did the first 16 around 2.5 minutes slower/mile than usual. One of the guys who'd gone ahead took the second half though, so I picked up the pace the second half. Sadly, I managed to run out of water about a mile and a half from the end with no water fountain, which meant I ended up walking the last half mile or so. Thankfully we had a pair of non-runners (one the spouse of a runner and the other an injured runner) who set up a water station at the halfway point and then again at the end, so there was plenty of water waiting when I got to the end. Happily, it was a beautiful run - from Mount Vernon (yes, George Washington's house) north 8 miles and back. (Link to Google images of the trail.)

No workout Sunday or Monday (I just didn't feel like getting up this morning) so tomorrow gets 6 miles before work instead of a rest day. I did take the dogs to the dog park with a stream and we hiked up and back between waterfalls, so I got a little exercise in.

I am fat and try to walk 3 days a week. I would do what ever is comfortable. Having said that you could always book the 10 mile and not finish it there is no shame in doing your best and trying your hardest. I lost alot of weight which I have gained back now . I am trying to do things slow so I do not loose and gain back the week. There is nothing wrong with having a bad day we are all human

Like Chiomaca said, I did sign up and actually complete the race. Now I am just trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other. My motivation comes and goes. Overall I am only down about 25 lbs and have probably about 75 to go. But I'm still here and I'm not quitting even through forward motion is questionable at times.

I realize I made a mistake not shutting it down weeks ago. So I know you are right. I was just being stubborn. But, I finally did and my foot feels better its not 100%, and probably won't be until after January. I am not sure about my shin. I was going to go for an easy run tomorrow to see how it is so I will be able to figure out what I am doing for my race Saturday. I still really want to run this race even if I just take it slow. But, this is all just a learning experience at this point.

I'm kind of glad you are listening to your body. It's tough but it's not worth making it worse. So what are you thinking about your Saturday race? I hope you feel comfortable taking it easy.

I talked to my friend today and I will get in touch with the personal trainer tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to set up a time to meet and talk about our goals this week.

I did forget to add that I made this weekend's 16 mile run, which was pretty slow because we take turns with the slower runners of the group and it was my turn. Did the first 16 around 2.5 minutes slower/mile than usual. One of the guys who'd gone ahead took the second half though, so I picked up the pace the second half. Sadly, I managed to run out of water about a mile and a half from the end with no water fountain, which meant I ended up walking the last half mile or so. Thankfully we had a pair of non-runners (one the spouse of a runner and the other an injured runner) who set up a water station at the halfway point and then again at the end, so there was plenty of water waiting when I got to the end. Happily, it was a beautiful run - from Mount Vernon (yes, George Washington's house) north 8 miles and back. (Link to Google images of the trail.)

No workout Sunday or Monday (I just didn't feel like getting up this morning) so tomorrow gets 6 miles before work instead of a rest day. I did take the dogs to the dog park with a stream and we hiked up and back between waterfalls, so I got a little exercise in.

As always I am jealous of your running trails. :D I think it is awesome that you all take turns with the slower runners. I'm not sure how hot it has been down there, but up here we have been running in the 90's with high humidity. It's been rough. I just have to say that you are an amazing person with all the volunteer work with dogs, helping others with their running and not to mention your military service. You are an amazing example to follow. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter