Is there ever free dining for the Campgrounds?

I do believe that when they first started the dining program they offered it free to the campground. However, that was only the one time.

However, I can't say that I miss it. I can't stand the forced structure of the meal plans. Plus the extra cost per night at rack rate makes it a questionable savings anyway. I would rather it was all done away with and maybe we wouldn't need to reserve a place at meals six months in advance.

I strongly disagree that ever happened. We are much too frequent campers there for that to have slipped past us. ;)

With as many as 10 people allowed per site, can you imagine the *hole* Disney would be in for free food? :crazy2:

The campsites would never have free dining as it stands now.

(Ed's rant is starting)

I want to chip in and say that, having never bought the Dining Plan, I hate what it has done to the meals and restaurant choices.

I'm sure there is a business case that dictates, for one Table Service credit, the average maximum wholesale cost of the meal which has to be met. So the 12 ounce steak becomes a 9 ounce, the tip which was once included is no longer, and the seafood options are smaller and fewer. More food is probably pre-cooked and kept warm rather than being prepared on demand.

I think more of the restaurants should go off the DP and go high-end and get creative with ingrediants, prep methods, etc. Develop a quality dining experience that justifies the higher cost. It would blow away eating at Tony's on Main Street <my candidate for the tv show Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine.> :worship:

As far as the Fort is concerned, I wish there was a LITTLE more variety/selection/hours for Counter Service. But I tend to cook at my site to save $$$ for souvenirs.

(okay I'm done with my rant now)

Bama ED

. . . I hate what it has done to the meals and restaurant choices . . . So the 12 ounce steak becomes a 9 ounce, the tip which was once included is no longer, and the seafood options are smaller and fewer. More food is probably pre-cooked and kept warm rather than being prepared on demand . . .

1) Yep.
2) As a CM, I can attest to your suspicions.
3) Not only what you say about serving size, but quality.
4) In SEVERAL places, the steaks are downgraded.
5) Then, they are sodium-spikes at the packer.
6) The extra sodium increases the taste (do a Google, if in doubt).
7) In some cases, the meat went to 1/2-price with the sodium addition.

NOTE: We own interests in two eateries; a breakfast-and-lunch-only and
a dinner-only-fine-dining. For the luncheonette, the cheaper meats are
spiked and some taste like a steak at a fine steakhouse. There is no
underhandedness, as the menu says it is "brined". (Doesn't anyone wonder
why the steaks at Le Cellier have almost two-days' worth of sodium for an
adult male?)

I stayed in the campground in my camper October 2011 and I enjoyed Free Dining Plan so I know they did offer it. I still have my receipt if you need evidence:) It was only offered for 4 members with full ticket package.

What dates was it they did free dining at Ft Wilderness campsites?

I stayed in the campground in my camper October 2011 and I enjoyed Free Dining Plan so I know they did offer it. I still have my receipt if you need evidence:) It was only offered for 4 members with full ticket package.

There has never been a general public free dining offer that included the Ft. Wilderness campsites. In fact, in 9 years of blogging about Disney discounts and free dining I have never even heard of a PIN code for free dining at the Ft. Wilderness campsites.

LOL! I can only imagine!:lmao:

I guess it would be like watching the large groups of families I see at the beach eating all you can eat of crab legs and they have big piles on their table! LOL! My husband always just watches and always says "Boy they got their moneys worth!" LOL!

If I'm at the Fort and you come by being neighborly, then I'll treat ya to some free dining.

LOL! I can only imagine!:lmao:

I guess it would be like watching the large groups of families I see at the beach eating all you can eat of crab legs and they have big piles on their table! LOL! My husband always just watches and always says "Boy they got their moneys worth!" LOL!

Not really the same since all of those people would be paying.

But one other major issue is that before QS dining all free dining was 1 TS, 1 CS, plus snacks (which could be things like boxes of donuts) and for some years the tip. During free dining times the values would be sold out with a lot of empty rooms. It was posted that locals were booking rooms just to get the Free dining for a staycation. Or even off site guest getting a value room just for the free credits.

If the campground offered free dining they would kind of have to offer regular dining since the Campground for marketing reasons is a Mod.

So if there was free dining at the campsites it possible that sites would be hard to get but you would find the sites empty. I have also heard of people posting that off site or locals will reserve a site just for EMH.

Although we have never considered a dining plan (other than planning what we eat at the MH that night), we have never heard of a free dining plan for the campsites. But we have only been going to the Fort on a regular basis for 15 or so years, so we might have missed something. :stir:

. . . It was posted that locals were booking rooms just to get the Free dining for a staycation. Or even off site guest getting a value room just for the free credits . . .

1) Also, in the past, families would create "phantom" family members.
2) Example:
. . . family of two-adults and 1-child
. . . would add two more adults to the room
. . . thus, getting twice the adult meals for free
. . . yes, they need park tickets
. . . so they would buy the tix and use them next visit
3) For $75 Value room per day, you get $180 in dining credits per day.
4) That's why some resorts want to see ALL family members during Free Dining.

I just got back from the Fort and asked this question three different mornings at the checkin desk when things were slow.

No CM said yes they had ever heard of free DDP with a campsite. The closest i got was "i dont know". So i wouldnt hold off waiting for this offer.

Bama Ed

I just got back from the Fort and asked this question three different mornings at the checkin desk when things were slow.

No CM said yes they had ever heard of free DDP with a campsite. The closest i got was "i dont know". So i wouldnt hold off waiting for this offer.

Bama Ed

There has never been a free dining discount offered at the campsites. Ever.

I have asked several times when making ressies and am always told they don't need the free dining to fill up the Fort. Sure would be nice if they did. We don't get the dining plan because we fix some meals in our rv but would be nice to have it for free to give it a try. They could limit the free dining for the amount of people they would offer it in a room.
Seems like we will NEVER see free dining for the campsites.

I have asked several times when making ressies and am always told they don't need the free dining to fill up the Fort. Sure would be nice if they did. We don't get the dining plan because we fix some meals in our rv but would be nice to have it for free to give it a try. They could limit the free dining for the amount of people they would offer it in a room.
Seems like we will NEVER see free dining for the campsites.

Would be kind of hard to 'limit' part of a site group at FW. They've never had free dining, and from what I've heard, never will.

Also, the camp sites are much cheaper (during 'free' dining) than any of the hotels including values. The times we have checked when they had the free dining (just for info) the rates of the values were based on four people and was so much per person.

Would be kind of hard to 'limit' part of a site group at FW. They've never had free dining, and from what I've heard, never will.

Also, the camp sites are much cheaper (during 'free' dining) than any of the hotels including values. The times we have checked when they had the free dining (just for info) the rates of the values were based on four people and was so much per person.

The last time I asked about it when I made ressies it wasn't much difference in price for the site (premium) to a value resort room. That was a few years ago. Sadly we haven't been able to come for a few years but we will be there in November. I can't wait!!! :cool1:

I agree, we will never see it at the Fort.

The last time I asked about it when I made ressies it wasn't much difference in price for the site (premium) to a value resort room. That was a few years ago. Sadly we haven't been able to come for a few years but we will be there in November. I can't wait!!! :cool1:

I agree, we will never see it at the Fort.

It has nothing to do with how much you pay for a room/site. It has to do with how much marketing money Disney is willing to pay to lure people to stay onsite.

One FD promo didn't include the brand new Little Mermaid rooms and people thought it was unfair. Fairness is not involved its all about getting heads in beds (a hotel term). If they don't need to spend money to get you to stay somewhere they won't.

The Fort is pretty much the only game in town and is not competing with all the properties on I drive.

It has nothing to do with how much you pay for a room/site. It has to do with how much marketing money Disney is willing to pay to lure people to stay onsite.

One FD promo didn't include the brand new Little Mermaid rooms and people thought it was unfair. Fairness is not involved its all about getting heads in beds (a hotel term). If they don't need to spend money to get you to stay somewhere they won't.

The Fort is pretty much the only game in town and is not competing with all the properties on I drive.

Exactly. They have no trouble filling the sites. The Fort is wonderful enough on it's own. :goodvibes

I know I will get the disHATERS who say I am full of it but I did have free dining at the campsites in 2011. I know I know I have been through this with dozens of the "experts" who say I am mistaken and that I could have had someone pay for it without knowing it ?? Really someone magically paid over $1k for a stranger?? Anyway we got an offer in the mail and I called and asked if I could add it to my existing reservation. I had no idea how good I had it when we did and it was only my second time going to Disney as an adult with my first child (I have gone dozens of times with my parents growing up). It was an offer for free dining and we called and they added it to our reservations FOR FREE. I have since tried and failed at getting it added to later trips for the campsites but I say never give up and each time its offered call and try. It has worked before... even if it was a mistake on Disney's part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter