Is there anyone NOT bothered by the price of gas?

As for France's baby-help, vacation time, etc, remember that it isn't free -- nothing's really free. They're paying for it through taxes.

Yes, but people were commenting how high France's taxes are. I think that for everything they get for their high taxes, it's a great deal.

I have to be bothered by it since my income is not going up to reflect the actual cost of living. I own a house that is below my means, carry no CC balances and coupon clip, but the commute to work is not something I can change--we have no public transportation option in the suburbs to the suburbs. I am now working extra hours home instructing students on suspension or too ill to come to school just to pay for the difference in gas and grocery prices--this takes time from my own children and family. This does affect us all and though I don't lose sleep over it I do have concerns that this is just the beginning--eventually even those who think they are all comfy and don't care will have to. We all have a threshhold for expenses, eventually at this rate it will hit everyone.

I agree that there are many Americans who have way to much "fat" in their budgets and trully need to begin trimming. But, the ones who really will have to decide between food and gas don't have the fat to trim. The community college I work at has many single parents enrolled in our two year allied health programs. They have to do their clinicals (working at medical sites as part of their education) and can't always work during this time. They don't have cell phones (or even land lines), cable television or any other such "luxury". They have to drive to school and to their clinicals (which can be a 1-2 hour drive), we do not live in an area where public transportation is feasible. So, yes they may have to make the hard choice of paying for some necessity or buying gas for their car; at least until they graduate.
After my dad abandoned us and moved out of state to avoid paying child support, I spent my middle/high school years in genuine poverty, and I live in an area where public transit doesn't exist, so I know that there are people out there who are really making the only choices available to them, yet it isn't enough -- but I'm sure that the people who can cut back on things other than food outnumber them significantly. Also, those people in the most dire circumstances qualify for social services-type help. These are sad stories, and I don't mean to imply otherwise -- but they do not represent the majority of Americans.

I know we have strict laws on just how many hours each class must meet in order for the children to be given credit for passing -- I wonder if five days per week is actually mandated. I predict some sort of change within a couple years.[/QUOTE said:
It is an interesting thought because schools would not only save on gas, but electricity and so on.

Not a bad thought for businesses also to go to 4 - 10 hr days. I know when my DH and I were first married I worked 4 - 10's and loved it.

I know I am close to quitting my meager part-time job ($7.15 hr) because even though I set my own hours, it really isn't worth my time anymore. I really took the job just to help pay for my girls sports. It is only about 5 miles each way from my house but it is becoming inconvenient and the couple of dollars I may bring home per hour just doesn't seem worth my time.

I think many of us will need to re-think our current lifestyles.

Am I cutting down my driving because of gas prices? No. Does it bother me that no one in the government stepping in with the gas price gauging? YES!!! What I don't understand how lets say on Monday I get gas and it cost $3.50 and on Thursday I drive by the same gas station and it is now $3.60. How is that happening???

You're absolutley right -- perhaps these people could be categorized as "willing to make changes, but realistically unable to do so". I think many of us can see options in our lives that'd be good financially, but they aren't really viable given the circumstances in which we live. For example, I would be perfectly willing to walk or bike to work -- it's only a tad over a mile, which is perfectly do-able in good weather -- but the roads are very busy, I'd have to cross a major intersection, and we have no sidewalks, so even though it looks like something I could (and should) do, it just isn't safe. That's not quite the same as a person who wants to get rid of the gas guzzler but can't . . . but the theme is similar.

If walking isn't do able maybe a scooter with helmet and leather that gets 100 miles per gallon would work. In other words, it is always easier to justify why not instead of yes I can.

Looking at it from the school's point of view, I wonder how long it'll be before we have four 10-hour days instead of five 8-hour days. It'd cut transportation costs by 20%, which is a significant savings. It'd be horrible for the elementary children, of course; it wouldn't be too bad for high schoolers. I know we have strict laws on just how many hours each class must meet in order for the children to be given credit for passing -- I wonder if five days per week is actually mandated. I predict some sort of change within a couple years.

As good as this sounds, I don't think that it will ever happen. My mother's school system tried to do something where they had the entire month of Jan. off and then lost the 2 spring breaks to compensate. It would have lowered the oil bills by an insane amount, and this was BEFORE the recent run up. The union fought it like heck and the plan failed. I think that in school systems with strong unions (which would be a lot of school systems), 4 10 hour days won't fly any better than the taking Jan. off plan.

As good as this sounds, I don't think that it will ever happen. My mother's school system tried to do something where they had the entire month of Jan. off and then lost the 2 spring breaks to compensate. It would have lowered the oil bills by an insane amount, and this was BEFORE the recent run up. The union fought it like heck and the plan failed. I think that in school systems with strong unions (which would be a lot of school systems), 4 10 hour days won't fly any better than the taking Jan. off plan.

Why not? If the students went a couple of extra hours a day for the 4 days - and teachers did NOT lose pay - then they should be for it.

I could only see an objection if teachers were required to work additional hours and still come in on the 5th day for the same or reduced pay.

Why not? If the students went a couple of extra hours a day for the 4 days - and teachers did NOT lose pay - then they should be for it.

I could only see an objection if teachers were required to work additional hours and still come in on the 5th day for the same or reduced pay.

I think the unions would find a reason to fight it. They had no reason to fight teachers having the month of Jan. off to save on oil bills, but they did anyways. I think that they will fight to maintain the status quo even if it makes no sense. That's JMHO, but I really can't see 4 10 hour school days flying in most school districts.

Also, parents would be up in arms if they had to find and pay for childcare for an entire day each week for school-aged kids. They would fight it too. I just can't see it happening in most school systems. I **could** see private businesses opting for a 4/40 or 9/80 work schedule, though. Several companies in our area already do this as a company-wide policy (the 9/80 schedule). I could easily see private businesses opting for the 4/40 workweek if it was feasible for their line of business. I just can't see public schools doing so.

The thing that makes me mad is the oil companies are posting RECORD profits. The government needs to step in and regulate the price of gas. Utility companies are regulated why can't the oil companies be too? I am not saying they shouldn't be profitable but the profits they are reporting are disgusting.

The thing that makes me mad is the oil companies are posting RECORD profits. The government needs to step in and regulate the price of gas. Utility companies are regulated why can't the oil companies be too? I am not saying they shouldn't be profitable but the profits they are reporting are disgusting.

I couldn't agree more!

What annoys the living daylights outta me, is the oil companies are making record profits AND enjoying special tax status.

The "record" profits are misleading. Their overall profit margin has stayed the same, at around 9-10%. Many companies actually make more than this. Disney makes around 12% and I know Walmart makes around that as well.

I wasn't around in the 70s but I thought the price caps was what caused the shortage back then?:confused3

I am worried, but I worry about everything. What concerns me is Dh's job. Now he can afford gas to get to work. We have trimmed our budget and luckily it is in his contract that he get a 1-2% raise(it is 1-2% of top pay) every 3 months and the entire company gets a 60 cents raise this year and next until the contract runs out.

I worry about how high gas has to get until many of his coworkers can't afford to get to work. I worry about my MIL. She works at Walmart. They are trying to cut worker's hours. The last two pay periods she has had to get 76 hours instead of 80, and they want to do more in the upcoming weeks. She is supposed to my a cashier manager but last night they had her unloading a truck. Thankfully she lives close enough to work so gas isn't an issue for her yet, but what about her cut hours?

We recently potty trained our oldest son. We were hoping to see a savings of almost $75 in our monthly grocery bill, since we now only have to diaper one child. I still haven't seen the savings.

Actually our school system is already talking about going to a 4 day week next year. It may be a little easier for our school because they are already down to 4 1/2 days (not sure how many days most schools go), so they would just lengthen the 4 full days a bit and knock out that other 1/2 day for the students.

Mrs Pete: Sounds like you know firsthand about the hardships so many are facing. I can certainly sympthaize with your Mother, I too had an ex that tried to avoid paying child support. And I do agree wholeheartedly with you that most people have a lot of fat to trim. Thats something I have been trying to do for my own family. I haven't had to cut anything out but am really looking at the services we pay for and where I can reduce them. I have also found myself going back to the way I cooked when my boys were young (during the before mentioned child support problems), which means reeeaaalllly streching some meals.

The "record" profits are misleading. Their overall profit margin has stayed the same, at around 9-10%. Many companies actually make more than this. Disney makes around 12% and I know Walmart makes around that as well.

I wasn't around in the 70s but I thought the price caps was what caused the shortage back then?:confused3

Don't let "facts" get in the way of whining on here:rotfl2: (Just kidding)

Acutally I think price caps will lead to shortages. Other countries with a stonger currency in the world market will buy at the going rate. So folks won't sell to us creating a shortage.

Don't let "facts" get in the way of whining on here:rotfl2: (Just kidding)

Acutally I think price caps will lead to shortages. Other countries with a stonger currency in the world market will buy at the going rate. So folks won't sell to us creating a shortage.

From what I understand, we don't need to buy from other countries for our oil if the Oil Companies would just refine oil that is pumped here.

Okay, so Disney makes a 12% profit, but that is for entertainment, not for a necessity. I know many on this board feel it is a necessity to go to WDW every year, sometimes more than once, but I could live without it. I cannot do without fuel for my car and home heating and would rather not be paying these high prices if I didn't need to.
How about a million man march to Washington to demand that they step in and do something? Anybody ready to step up to the task?

From what I understand, we don't need to buy from other countries for our oil if the Oil Companies would just refine oil that is pumped here.

Oil companies are NOT public entities. They will sell to the highest bidder. So they refine what is pumped here and sell it to whomever. And since our currency is weaker we aren't the "first choice".

Now, it sounds like what you really want is "nationalization" of the system. In other words oil pumped here is refined and sold at a price we like. In that case the goverment would have to take over. IMHO that's a receipe for disaster! For profit businesses aren't going to play by those rules and most oil companies (if not all) are multinationals owned by lots of people who aren't American and would want (and deserve) to be compensated for the losses you want them to incur. And of course our taxes would have to go up to support this since someone has to PAY for drilling etc and the oil companies now do that exploration etc in hopes of a profit. Now we would have to fund that, we would have to fund clean up etc. Gee thats great. Low gas prices higher taxes!!!!

I am not marching on Washington to get them to take over the oil industry. I have no problem supporting some type of voucher system for elderly and others who need help with heating thier homes. As for gas.. A lot would depend and I probably would support it only in RARE cases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter