Is there anyone NOT bothered by the price of gas?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by BabyTigger99, May 23, 2008.

1. BabyTigger99

BabyTigger99 <font color=CC00cc>The most beautiful words in the

Jun 18, 2002
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me. I don't sit and dwell on it. I don't mumble and grumble about it. I don't speculate where it will be 6 months - 10 years from now. Anyone else?
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. canadianmom2three

canadianmom2three DIS Veteran

Feb 29, 2008
    I figure that if I was genuinely worried about it, I could easily make efforts to drive less, use public transport more, share a ride, buy a smaller vehicle etc....but I don't, so therefore I have no right to complain. Gas prices are much higher in some other countries, and then in some other countries, people have a lot more to worry about than rather or not they can afford to buy gas, heck they don't even have cars, let alone enough food to feed their family. I consider myself pretty blessed, and have no grounds to complain.

Now before you all get the wrong idea, I am not a 'wealthy' person, we live paycheque to paycheque, and budget VERY carefully....but I just figure that I am better off than so many people, who am I to complain about the price of gas, it gets paid for, and if that means there is less left over at the end of the month to eat out, buy more things that we don't really need, well that's the way it is...
  4. drivencrazy

drivencrazy DIS Veteran

Oct 16, 2006
    I can say that I don't really like it... but we need to get from point A to point B... so we pay it and keep going. I filled up the Explorer and it stopped at $75... do wish that they would change that so I can be sure to fill up all at once.

Still planning on a road trip this summer, will just have to put more $$$ aside for gas. What can one do!
  5. Todd&Copper

Todd&Copper <font color=darkorchid>Sweet Chicken, that is one

Mar 10, 2006
    I am kind of surprised by it (at how fast it has gone up lately), but since DH & I don't drive a lot, I don't really care that much. We also drive pretty fuel-efficient cars (his gets about 40 mpg and mine almost 30) so I am not crapping bricks over it.
  6. pumpkinfish

pumpkinfish <font color=blue>Clothing Expert and Magic Giver o

Jul 18, 2004
    Sorry, I do worry and speculate. Gas is a big chunk of my budget due to commuting...if price increases I need to take away from another area of the budget...I can only skim so much :eek:
  7. AnninIowa

AnninIowa DIS Veteran

Jun 21, 2005
    We are fortunate in that we have the money to fill up the car, and since we work from home, we can carefully plan our routes and save gas. The people who I really feel for are the low wage earners who don't have access to public transporation (not every city has a good transit system) and HAVE to drive to work, pay day care, etc.

In England gas is over $8 a gallon! In America, we are used to having our needs AND wants; in other countries, they splurge much less on "fun" stuff than we do.
  8. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Oct 29, 2006
    I am more worried about how the rising cost of gas will effect everything else we have to buy...Although gas is much more expensive in Europe, their communities tend to be organized so that they drive much less.
  9. Debbie6221

Debbie6221 <font color=hotpink>I do believe hangers are again

Sep 29, 2006

ITA with you! This is how I feel. If I have to adjust and give up some things I will but I don't want to change plans because of it. It IS very irritating but I don't want to make my self sick about it either. Unfortunately, we have a Mini Van and an SUV! Also we live IN chicago which makes it even worse!
  10. luv2laugh

luv2laugh Mouseketeer

Apr 14, 2007
    That's what I keep telling people! I actually WANT gas to rise a little. Don't get me wrong - my pocketbook HATES it! However, I was reading interviews with the heads of the major car companies and they all pretty much said the same thing; Until our gas prices rise and stay around $6 a gallon, they're not going to market the more fuel efficient cars from Europe in the U.S.

I hate how much it costs, but unless gas prices rise, people aren't going to change. I think that in the long run, the price hikes are going to help our country become more "green."
  11. happygirl

happygirl DIS Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    I really don't see how you can't be bothered by it. unless you have unlimited income:confused3 High gas prices affect everyone on everything
  12. heartsy77

heartsy77 Working on my 9th trip!

Dec 7, 2004

I am with you! I have decided their is nothing I can do about so why worry?!! I feed 11 plus children a day in my home (daycare) I am spending so much on food and I refuse to sweat it!
  13. cancer_survivor_06

cancer_survivor_06 DIS Veteran

Jul 12, 2006
    It hasn't really bothered me for the most part especially since I am the odd ball having to buy a bigger vehicle. The only time that in bothered me and I was mostly annoyed is tuesday i bought gas for 3.62 wed it went up to 3.75 thur it was 3.90 that has been the most drastic price jump that we have seen.
  14. lovepurple

lovepurple Mouseketeer

May 11, 2007
    I bothers me a lot. It is the reason a lot of my family will not be able to come to my daughter's graduation this year.
    I'm sure it is also the reason my grocery bill has become sky high.
  15. Mickey1974

Mickey1974 <font color=green>This just totally cracks me up!

Jan 4, 2008
    I can honestly say that I don't worry about it. I need it in order to drive my car and it sucks that it costs me more to use it. But I don't dwell on it or obsess over it like some people I know.
  16. mirmartinez

mirmartinez DIS Veteran

Mar 16, 2008
    High gas prices may benefit us in the long run.
    There is only a limited supply of oil and this will encourage people to be more mindful of how much they use.
    Also, China and India are industrial now and this will also limit what they can use.
    Higher oil prices will slow their pace and/or have them considering alternative fuels early in the game.
  17. Jenna45

Jenna45 DIS Veteran

Jan 9, 2007
    I drive a Tahoe and I have to say it does not really bother me to much , I fill up at half a tank which is about 50.00 - 60.00 and then I feel like it is not really costing so much.. But, I also work from home, so the only commute I have is driving ds to school in the morning :thumbsup2

18. Irin997

Irin997 DIS Veteran

Jul 11, 2007
    People should be concerned for this very reason. Think about all of the products that need to be transported and how those prices have risen. High gas prices are one of the main reasons why prices of produce along with everything else have risen. The domino effect begins with gas prices and soon enough everything else is rising too.

And in fact, it downright p*sses me off. Think about the fact that just 6 months ago, gas prices were roughly $1 cheaper per gallon. So for my 15 gallon tank, that's an extra $15 per week. And that should be enough to p*ss anyone off cause that's $60 a month I didn't have to spend before.
  19. momto2girls

momto2girls DIS Veteran

Jan 21, 2004
    I don't worry about it. I won't be changing my habits or plans because of the gas prices. It isn't something that I think about at all except when I come to the boards. :confused3

This isn't to say that I don't feel badly for the people who have a long daily commute, etc., but it really isn't anything that bothers me personally.
  20. ecuagoddess

ecuagoddess Mouseketeer

Apr 5, 2004
    I have no problem with the gas and even food prices going up, just adjust the budget accordingly. I guess those on the mainland are feeling it more because it is a drastic jump, but gas and food is always so expensive here that a little more is not a big deal. I skip over most of the threads bemoaning/tracking/inciting outrage over how things have gone up.
  21. wovenwonder

wovenwonder DIS Veteran

Feb 12, 2001
    It makes me ill thinking about it. It's not the gas that I care about. I really don't drive that much. I just know without a doubt that everything else is going to continue to go up in price as long as the fuel keeps going up. There will be no end in sight until the fuel levels off in price.