Is there an alternate to I-4?

bigbabyblues

DIS Veteran
Is there a good way to get to WDW from i-95 other than I-4 that is less congested? We've driven down seven times, and that seems like the worst part of the drive. We usually arrive around 6:00 am, this time it will br closer to noon.

Thanks,

Take the 417 expressway called the Central Florida Greeneway around Sanford to avoid the worst traffic around Orlando on I-4,it'l also take you almost directly to WDW.If you wanted to totally avoid I-4 you would take I-95 to the 528 called the Beachline,this would make your drive considerably longer so don't do it.Taking the 417 will also be a bit longer drive and there will be tolls but it's your best option to avoid traffic and not adding much time to your drive.

Take the 417 expressway called the Central Florida Greeneway around Sanford to avoid the worst traffic around Orlando on I-4,it'l also take you almost directly to WDW.If you wanted to totally avoid I-4 you would take I-95 to the 528 called the Beachline,this would make your drive considerably longer so don't do it.Taking the 417 will also be a bit longer drive and there will be tolls but it's your best option to avoid traffic and not adding much time to your drive.

Yeah it's the best way, can take a little longer due to stopping at the tolls but far better than sitting in traffic!

I always take 417 when i have to go anywhere on the 'other' side of Orlando from the north, unless it's a Sunday. It's longer, but it MOVES quicker and is much less congested.

Six in the morning can be congested approaching downtown Orlando but I would not expect 5 AM or noon to be bad. On several toll roads including 417 there are plazas where you need to take what looks like an exit ramp to pay using cash. The main lanes are for Florida electronic toll (incl. Sunpass) only.

beeline8.gif

bigbabyblues said:
Thank you! We will probably use the 417.

Just remember to bring cash :). I don't know the exact cost (I'm a local, so I use an EPass and avoid looking at the toll charges to preserve my sanity ;)), but you can check on the expressway authority's web site. It's not Jersey Turnpike expensive, but it adds up!

We keep a watch on google maps to see whether or not there's enough of a slowdown to take 417. It is a bit longer but totally worth it during higher traffic times.

If you go semi-regularly (sounds like you do) get the Sunpass Mini at Publix. Then you can sail through the tollbooths without ever stopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter