Is smoking allowed on board?

LisaFB

DIS Veteran
I just read another thread where someone said there were people smoking cigars... Is there smoking allowed on board the ships? Is it anywhere outside o just in certain areas? I'm PG and our 2 young kids will be sailing with us (ages 2 and 4 at cruise time) and DD was born preemie so we like to stay as far away from smoke as possible!

TIA!

There are only a few certain areas, mostly outside, where people are allowed to smoke. If I recall correctly, (some of?) the lounges also allow smoking as well. (Didn't spend enough time in them to really take note.)

Smoking is allowed on ALL veranda's

All open decks except around the kids pools, and I believe only on the port side.

Smoking is also allowed in some of the Clubs, like the bar area of diversions.

While I forgot about the veranda part... I did not think that smoking was allowed in the outside common areas, such as around the pools. I stand corrected. :)

Are there ANY non-smoking adult-only areas?

This takes all the fun out of adult-only for me...:sad2:

Yes, Cove is on the side of the ship where smoking is allowed (you'll find cigars being smoked there often).

If you get a verandah, choose wisely because if you get a chain smoking neighbor, it can be miserable. Choose either a nav verandah, a room next to a nav verandah, or a room with a veranda neighbor on only one side. That decreases your chances of being next to a chain smoker by 50 percent.

While some people will suggest asking your neighbor not to smoke while you are out there, many smokers pay more for a veranda and are within their rights to use it whenever they want so that might not be too effective. Better to reduce your chances up front.

While some people will suggest asking your neighbor not to smoke while you are out there, many smokers pay more for a veranda and are within their rights to use it whenever they want so that might not be too effective. Better to reduce your chances up front.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. If the 50% reduction still doesn't work, move on to asking. Most smokers are reasonable people and if approached reasonably will work with you - but as Barb said, many of them have paid for the veranda to smoke, so you do have to be reasonable and willing to compromise yourself.

Are there ANY non-smoking adult-only areas?

This takes all the fun out of adult-only for me...:sad2:

Yes, there are. On Deck 9, the deck with all 3 pools, there is no smoking whatsoever at the Mickey Pool, and smoking is only allowed by the Goofy Pool and by the adults-only pool on the port side (left side). In other words, just keep to the starboard side (right side) at the adults-only pool and you're in a no-smoking area :)

As for the clubs and smoking, I honestly have no personal experience so can't say.

Thanks everyone! We cruised for our Disneymoon 5 years ago and I don't remember any smoking anywhere at all. Then again, I wasn't PG and didn't have any young children with me so I wasn't as big on staying away from it! We do have a verandah room so I'll have to see about that. As for bars and stuff, we won;t be going and we'll only be at the Mickey Pool so I think we're safe there!

Rockin' Bar D/Wavebands (where they hold most of the parties and shows for adults) are non-smoking. that wasn't always the case, and was miserable! Now it is GREAT...IMO, making the main show-venue club non-smoking was one of the best moves DCL ever did.

Just wanted to add that outside Cove Cafe is smoking not inside the cafe. This was one of our favorite places on our last 2 cruises.

Also Diversions doesn't allow smoking or at least during the day they do not. Only after I think 8pm does it become adult only. During the day kids can came in there. We had a couple of 8-9 year old boys watching the UGA vs UT football game with us last october while on board. THey were with their fathers and it was so cute watching them all.

If you're sensitive of smoke, be careful about the interior of Cove. When there are a lot of smokers outside and both the front and rear doors are being opened, it's like a wind tunnel that sucks the smoke right in. That's not all the time, but just be cautious if it really bothers you.

It can also get a bit smelly by the Deck 4 Port doors as well,especially in the evenings.

As far as the lounges are concerned, Sessions and the Cadillac Lounge are smoking. The bar area of Diversions also allows smoking.

DCL does not enforce any of it's rules so be vigilant. Most people will move and be considerate, but you do find people that don't give a hoot, if you can find an officer and complain he will do something. On our B2B in Feb they actually put up small no smoking signs.

We just finished a Princess Cruise, 9 day out of Brooklyn and the CM's jumped on anyone lighting up. They have very restricted smoking areas, this was a real worry for us before the cruise. I'd cruise with them again for this reason only. I did just read that RCCL banned smoking in the rooms and verandahs, so I assume it will be picked up by others. Disney has a no smoking in the hotels & parks so we can only hope they will wake up. Although if a smoker is willing to pay their price they may not want to lose the smoker's.

Just don't be shy and speak up when someone smokes were they're not allowed, or sail with someone that has a better (or enforces) there no smoking policy.

I never had an issue with smoking. However, the clubs where smoking was allowed after 9 pm, still smelled so strongly of smoke during the day that we couldn't stay in them for very long.

Hi,

I have asthma, so I posed the same question to our wedding coordinator. Here is the e-mail response I received concearning smoking on board.

"I just wanted to give you an update to something we discussed on the phone.

This was taken directly from the Cruise Line website:

Where can I smoke onboard?

Smoking is permitted only in designated areas of the ship. Guests are allowed to smoke on open decks (except near Mickey's Pool) and on the verandah of their stateroom. Inside, smoking is permitted within Sessions in the Beat Street entertainment district on the Disney Magic®, within The Cadillac Lounge in the Route 66 entertainment district on the Disney Wonder®, and at the bar area in Diversions on both ships.

When I mentioned no smoking on the verandahs I was remembering our policy at the Disney Resorts, not on board the Ships."

Hope this help answer your questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!