Is NCL Really cheaper than DCL for AK???

RedSox68 said:
We rented a car on Kona and Kauai. Because we were going back to Maui for a week, we just did an excursion during the day and then, since the ship was staying overnight, the sunrise at Haleakala! You should try to book that one -- it is not a road you want to drive on your own at 3:30 in the morning. We had to meet the tour bus at 3:30 a.m., but it was AMAZING. Be sure to take a Bonine for motion sickness as the road is winding. But standing up there and watching the sun rise up over the clouds is a site you won't ever forget. And when driving around Kona, go to the coffee factory.

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, it is the Old Lahaina Luau. There is another highly rated one that seemed to me better if it was only my wife and I. We will be 2 families (4 kids) and the tables are set for parties of 8 - works out perfect.

We are crazy excited about the upcoming trip. We have car rentals set up on each island.

We were there and it is really good. The poi...not so much. It is open bar and watch out for those Mai-Tai's. We also did the luau on Kuwai (sp?) and it was GREAT. All locals from the island and a different tale about getting to the island and the culture. We also did that cruise and in 2008 it was horrible and we just felt the ship was a run down taxi.And we had a two bedroom butler suite. Food was terrible BUT the reviews the last couple years have been pretty good so I suspect you will have a great time. Eat off the ship IMO for they have some great roadside "dives" that cook up amazing fish and foods.

When NCL started the circle Hawaii cruises using U.S.-flagged ships, they had to hire U.S. citizens and comply with U.S. labor laws. Unfortunately, that crew fell far short of experienced cruisers' expectations.

IMO, the Pride of America has the ideal itinerary for a circle Hawaii cruise. So much so that all other mass market cruise lines have left that market (the foreign-flagged ships were required to visit a foreign port, such as Fanning Island). So sailing on the Pride of America is a trade off: the ideal itinerary with maximum port time, but with a compromise in service.

NCL has 10 foreign-flagged ships. With next month's launch of the Breakaway, it will have 11. Plus the U.S.-flagged Pride of America. It's a shame that for some, their first experience with NCL is on the Pride of America, and they treat it as if it represents the entire fleet.

Woody

First on the Pride of America and then three months later on the new Breakaway. At least whatever negative first impression I might get about NCL has a chance to be rectified.

First on the Pride of America and then three months later on the new Breakaway. At least whatever negative first impression I might get about NCL has a chance to be rectified.

How I would LOVE to go on the Breakaway! We have two cruises in 2014....so maybe...maybe in 2015 or beyond. At my age I hate to plan too far beyond that. ;););)

Just keep telling yourself with your Hawaii ship that the ship is an easy, comfortable way of getting to see a lot of Hawaii and the beautiful ocean.
No matter what, at least you can sit outside with a nice drink (or coffee or whatever suits you) and watch the waves.
Wish I were going!!!!

Obviously no one has experienced the Breakaway yet, but we had a 2 BR suite on the Pearl in Alaska and it was FANTASTIC! Definitely NOT Motel 6! We were really spoiled by our butler and having a covered pool. When we were in the Haven area we felt like we were on a different ship - more like being on a private yacht! Our butler even served us a hot, made to order, breakfast in our suite on the last morning. We've sailed in suites many times on DCL (including the Walt suite on the Wonder) and I have to say our experience on the Pearl was above and beyond anything DCL does. The lounge on the Dream and Fantasy is nice, but having a private dining venue on the Pearl was great!

For the OP - we had a GREAT cruise on the Pearl and would go again.

Same with us. We had a two bedroom to Alaska, the year before DCL started going to Alaska, but I still would have chosen to sail out of Seattle. Too many of my Disney friends found it a hassle getting to/from the ship.

Another GREAT thing about the butler/concierge......hot chocolate, Irish Coffee, etc, hand delivered to everyone on the private viewing deck at Glacier Bay....ahhhhhh.....and SO much more.
After sailing a couple of times in NCL's concierge, we've not spent the money to do it again on DCL. After being so spoiled by NCL's concierge and their offerings, Disney's would be a let down....for US. I'm sure others have different opinions and that's great for them.

Same with us. We had a two bedroom to Alaska, the year before DCL started going to Alaska, but I still would have chosen to sail out of Seattle. Too many of my Disney friends found it a hassle getting to/from the ship.

Another GREAT thing about the butler/concierge......hot chocolate, Irish Coffee, etc, hand delivered to everyone on the private viewing deck at Glacier Bay....ahhhhhh.....and SO much more.
After sailing a couple of times in NCL's concierge, we've not spent the money to do it again on DCL. After being so spoiled by NCL's concierge and their offerings, Disney's would be a let down....for US. I'm sure others have different opinions and that's great for them.

If I remember correctly, you and I had the same cabin on the Pearl - 14506.

Ah yes..... the hot chocolate. Probably the best I have ever had!

When NCL started the circle Hawaii cruises using U.S.-flagged ships, they had to hire U.S. citizens and comply with U.S. labor laws. Unfortunately, that crew fell far short of experienced cruisers' expectations.

IMO, the Pride of America has the ideal itinerary for a circle Hawaii cruise. So much so that all other mass market cruise lines have left that market (the foreign-flagged ships were required to visit a foreign port, such as Fanning Island). So sailing on the Pride of America is a trade off: the ideal itinerary with maximum port time, but with a compromise in service.

NCL has 10 foreign-flagged ships. With next month's launch of the Breakaway, it will have 11. Plus the U.S.-flagged Pride of America. It's a shame that for some, their first experience with NCL is on the Pride of America, and they treat it as if it represents the entire fleet.

Woody

Absolutely. Even though most will not admit it... any cruise line would have dealt with most of the same service issues as NCL with a U.S. flagged ship with a full U.S. crew. The original U.S. crew was made up of a large number of college age young adults who really had no clue of the crazy hours and work load of cruise ship employees. IIRC, there were reports of crew just literally walking off the ship at ports and not returning. I believe now they are allowed to have a certain percentage of non U.S. workers mixed with the U.S. crew.

I give you kudos for sailing the POA as your first non Disney cruise. As you know we enjoy NCL just as much as DCL but I haven't been able to bring myself to sail the POA yet. :rotfl: We are booked on the Breakaway in 2014 and the Getaway for Springbreak 2015. I look forward to hearing your review of the Breakaway's Haven. :)

kaseyC said:
I give you kudos for sailing the POA as your first non Disney cruise. As you know we enjoy NCL just as much as DCL but I haven't been able to bring myself to sail the POA yet. :rotfl: We are booked on the Breakaway in 2014 and the Getaway for Springbreak 2015. I look forward to hearing your review of the Breakaway's Haven. :)

I know 2 people from work who did it and really enjoyed the itinerary. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii and when I got the green light from DW (who hates flying) I decided on the POA cruise. We have a direct flight from JFK (DW won't do connections - 'no up and down') and the cruise allows island hopping without having to take multiple short flights on small planes.

As I've said, I'm going in with low expectations for the ship itself and viewing it as a migrating hotel. We'll stay out late both nights the ship stays overnight.

I know 2 people from work who did it and really enjoyed the itinerary. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii and when I got the green light from DW (who hates flying) I decided on the POA cruise. We have a direct flight from JFK (DW won't do connections - 'no up and down') and the cruise allows island hopping without having to take multiple short flights on small planes.

As I've said, I'm going in with low expectations for the ship itself and viewing it as a migrating hotel. We'll stay out late both nights the ship stays overnight.[/QUOTE

Having cruised POA just this past November, I feel confidant saying that most of the issues seemed to be cleared up. Some of the servers in the dining room were not great, but we just kept trying each night until we found some we liked, then asked for them the remainder of the cruise. Cabins are very small though. That would be my biggest complaint.

Woody

Well put. What confounded us was that that year NCL had three ships there: Pride of America, Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawaii. When we went to book, we were told we could only book on the POA as the other two ships were being reassigned. What we could not believe was that they took BOTH Hawaiian designed ships with the Hawaiian decor, colors and themed rooms and moved them to other locals where they stripped them of the decor and redid them. And the Pride of Hawaii was only a year or so old! They kept POA in Hawaii, which has a colonial theme and decor and centers around Thomas Jefferson! Not what I would expect to sail on in Hawaii :lmao: That ship could have been brought to Baltimore and been a big hit with all the history in that area, and it wouldn't have had to be reconfigured. :confused3 Anyway, here's an article about it all: http://gohawaii.about.com/od/cruiselines/a/ncl_2008a.htm

Don't know if many fellow DISers will care, but I will be able to give some current feedback on the POA in a month or so.

Staying in a 2 bedroom family suite (similar in size to T on DCL) so probably won't be complaining about tiny cabins but I can compare service in dining rooms and around the ship in general. We intend to be busy and off the ship A LOT. I don't think we'll be staying up late too many nights. The first day (boarding) and the last day when the ship sails at 2pm and goes up and down Napali coast will be the best times to check out the ship itself.

Our NCL pride of America will also be our first non Disney cruise. We plan to spend as much time OFF the ship as humanly possible (it's spends about 100 hours in ports during one week). It will be our migrating hotel. We are in a suite and have access to a nice breakfast prior to going ashore. All lunches will be off ship and even 2 out of 7 nights we will eat dinner off the ship. Once at a nice luau on Maui on the first overnight stay and another at the highly rated Beach House restaurant on Kauai.

The ship is going in for dry dock on the 23rd for 2 weeks,$30 mil refurb. I believe we are on the second sailing after dry dock. I'm curious about the general condition of the ship.

A migrating hotel is a great way to see Hawaii. or any series of islands.

As I've said, I'm going in with low expectations for the ship itself and viewing it as a migrating hotel. We'll stay out late both nights the ship stays overnight.

Don't know if many fellow DISers will care, but I will be able to give some current feedback on the POA in a month or so.

Staying in a 2 bedroom family suite (similar in size to T on DCL) so probably won't be complaining about tiny cabins but I can compare service in dining rooms and around the ship in general. We intend to be busy and off the ship A LOT. I don't think we'll be staying up late too many nights. The first day (boarding) and the last day when the ship sails at 2pm and goes up and down Napali coast will be the best times to check out the ship itself.

Way back in 1989, we went on American Hawaii Cruises (now defunct). It was a great way to tour the Hawaiian Islands without taking small planes and checking into and out of hotels. A great first taste of Hawaii to know where you might like to go back and visit.

I would be interested in any reports on POA as they are the only ones that do this itinerary. Kids are now old enoug to xonsider this in the future.

For me, I would never sail DCL to Alaska (or Europe). Why spend/waste money on a specific cruiseline when the ports are the main attraction? We sailed DCL Magic in June and it was fine - the crew was wonderful although our dining team was underwhelming. We did the NCL Epic in December and LOVED it! The food was much better than on the Magic - and no, you DON'T have to pay for the food on NCL. The MDR and buffet are very good. I think NCL is having a Kids Sail Free promotion now so check into that....

I have a serious question here

It seemed like everyone on here complained greatly when DCL was sailing from Seattle and how awful the itinery was. These were the comments I heard - you are sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island and the seas are rougher for the first and last day. The port times are shorter. DCL isn't sailing to Glacier Bay. And other comments like that.

It seems to me that with the exception of Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm (and I know the differences) the NCL Pearl Itenary has the same issues that the DCL 2012 schedule did. In many ways for my family it seems even more challenging since most of the port times are late. For example in Juneau the Pearl is in port from 2pm to 10pm. I can't really imagine doing an excursion until 10pm with a 4 year old. I imagine we wouldn't even get off the ship for a 6pm to midnight stop at Victoria.

I guess my question is are these really issues? I was purposly not looking at Seattle sailings because of the concerns that were brought up for last years sailings. Are the seas that much rougher leaving Seattle? how are they in comparison to leaving PC?

We took the Pearl to Alaska in June of 2010, and I didn't find the seas rough at all. Ever.
When sailing out of PC, around dinner time when the ship is crossing the gulf stream, it gets pretty rocky. I didn't feel anything like that sailing to Alaska.

Going north, the Pearl was on the outer passage, coming back south, it was on the inside passage. Didn't notice much (if any) difference there, either.

They changed the port times!! When we went, we arrived in Juneau early.
It was a little later when we got into Skagway, and we were really later getting into Victoria.

The only advice I guess I could give to someone with smaller kids is to maybe try to get them to sleep a little later that day. The good news is that it stays light outside later.

Kandjandj said:
Thanks everyone. We booked the Pearl and hope to also do a short DCL cruise again.

Have fun!
The whole time we were on the Pearl in Alaska, I dreamed about being on her in the Caribbean...IF we could be in the Haven suites again.

Do what financially suites you best . A few years ago we did a cruise out of Miami it was too expensive to do the Magic. So we opted for a cruise out of Miami. It was a disaster from the moment we got there . The best moment was the day we got off the ship. Alaska is all about seeing new things and really do shore excursions if you keep that in mind then it is all good.

They won't regret the Pearl. It's a beautiful ship and the entire crew is proud to be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter