Is NCL Really cheaper than DCL for AK???

Kandjandj

Earning My Ears
We are planning to do a AK cruise next summer. When the prices came out for DCL for my preferred date (August) for an ocean view, we couldn't afford that plus excursions and flights. So we looked elsewhere and decided on the NCL Pearl which does go to Glacier Bay while Disney does not. We thought about leaving our daughter with grandma but then I realized we would be gone about 10 days and felt that was too long to be away from her. So I just priced out the Pearl for the 3 of us. For the week of 5/25/14 we would pay 2895 for an ocean view with a picture window upgraded from an obstructed oceanview during their wave promotion. Disney is 3200 for the first week in June and first week in Sept ( we are flexible with our dates) for a standard inside meaning no split bath. However, when checking out NCL kids club I noticed they charge in port. We were planning on doing one tour without tour maybe two. NCL also has many other fee restaurants and I'm sure I would want to try some of them. But they do go to Glacier Bay and leave from Seattle instead Vancouver so I am guessing that would save me money on the flight from either Nashville or Memphis, whichever is cheaper.
So considering all this, is NCL still the economical choice??

Do not go by what I tell you, get other opinions and read reviews of the NCL ship you are looking at. Now with that said, we did one NCL cruise and it felt like a Motel 6 on the water. :( I booked it because it was a lower price than everyone else and I got what I paid for.

I'm platinum on both DCL and NCL and have sailed on over 25 cruises (on DCL, NCL, Celebrity, RCCL, and Seabourn). The Pearl is our favorite ship by far. Great restaurants, entertainment, and crew. The Spinnaker lounge at the front of the ship is a beautiful place to view Alaska's landscape. We've sailed the Pearl twice to Alaska and enjoyed it so much that we've booked it again for 2014. Glacier Bay is stunning.

The Pearl is much newer than the Wonder. It's in excellent condition. Also, my family tends to travel to luxury hotels and resorts. The Pearl is NOT anything like Motel 6. I can't comment on NCL's older ships, but the newer ships are very nice. The color schemes can look a little odd in photos, but you don't really notice that when you're on board.

We took the Pearl to Alaska the year before Disney started going. We really wanted to see Alaska by cruise ship and Disney hadn't let on that they were going. At first I was disappointed that I wasn't going on Disney, but once we got on the Pearl....actually before that, when I studied the ship.....I was never disappointed again. We loved it.

After reading what people went through to get to the port with Disney (versus sailing out of Seattle) I'm even more happy we went with NCL.

Saved a LOT of money with transportation and airfare. And the cruise fare.

You won't be disappointed. And saving money on your fare and airfare is good, because the Alaska excursions are pretty expensive, regardless of cruise line.

Will DCL allow you to leave your kids in the club when you're off the ship?

This was talked about on a thread in just the past week, and some people said "yes" and some said "no". I don't know the official answer. I looked all over DCL's website and it never says it on there. A phone call would be the way to get the definitive answer.

This was talked about on a thread in just the past week, and some people said "yes" and some said "no". I don't know the official answer. I looked all over DCL's website and it never says it on there. A phone call would be the way to get the definitive answer.

Ah, I wouldn't want to do that, just surprised it would be considered a possibility since the wave phones wouldn't work to get in touch with the parents.

NurseDave said:
Ah, I wouldn't want to do that, just surprised it would be considered a possibility since the wave phones wouldn't work to get in touch with the parents.

We only do it when on DCL excursions. We tell the CMs when we check them in which one we're on and that way they know how to reach us and will be informed of any delays.

Do not go by what I tell you, get other opinions and read reviews of the NCL ship you are looking at. Now with that said, we did one NCL cruise and it felt like a Motel 6 on the water. :( I booked it because it was a lower price than everyone else and I got what I paid for.

Agree 1000%. NCL worst cruise line we have ever sailed....worse vacation for that fact it was NCL.:scared1:

:confused::confused::confused:
I'm confused. I suggested that you call Disney before your cruise and ask them if you can go on excursions and leave the kids behind in the clubs...to get a correct answer, since some people here said yes, and some said no.
Not understanding where the wave phones come in??

Agree 1000%. NCL worst cruise line we have ever sailed....worse vacation for that fact it was NCL.:scared1:

OP asked specifically about the Pearl going to Alaska.
The Pearl is a gorgeous ship and has many, many features that none of the Disney ships have, including the Fantasy and Dream.

I think a lot of older ships on some of the cruise lines are probably not going to offer much value....but the newer ones are really nice!

I haven't been to Alaska, but I have cruised the Pearl. DH and I just loved it. It was extremely clean and the staff were super friendly. I would personally cruise on the pearl again if I could convince DH to take an Alaskan cruise with me.

If you are trying to compare pricing, for a true comparison you need to compare NCL's oceanview with Disney's oceanview. What you have listed are different things. We've been to Alaska on NCL and had a great time :)

Having just come off the Wonder last week, I would never sail her in Alaska. I would only do that experience with a ship that has a retractable roof over the pool area. I personally LOVE NCL, especially a meal at Cagney's ($25pp). The Pearl does not have a retractable roof other than in the Haven, which is considerably more expensive.
Take a look at Princess and Holland America, they both have wonderful sailings, beautiful ships and retractable roofs. And they have been sailing Alaska a lot longer than the others, and have amazing itineraries.
Can't imagine being in Alaska in 50 degree weather in the pool without it.

justmestace said:
I suggested that you call Disney before your cruise and ask them if you can go on excursions and leave the kids behind in the clubs...to get a correct answer, since some people here said yes, and some said no.

I have read reports of limited amounts of time on port days many years ago, but in recent years I have not encountered someone here who was not allowed to check in their kids and go off ship in port. We will only choose to do it if we are on a DCL excursion, because they would know how to reach us, but that's our requirement, not DCL's.

I have yet to hear about someone's kids denied access to the secured programming while in port who was also eligible when at sea.

. . . The Pearl is our favorite ship by far. Great restaurants, entertainment, and crew.

The Pearl is a gorgeous ship and has many, many features that none of the Disney ships have, including the Fantasy and Dream.

. . . I have cruised the Pearl. DH and I just loved it. It was extremely clean and the staff were super friendly.
We sailed on the Norwegian Pearl and loved it. The Pearl is a beautiful ship, and we would not hesitate to sail on the Pearl again.

Woody

Having just come off the Wonder last week, I would never sail her in Alaska. I would only do that experience with a ship that has a retractable roof over the pool area. I personally LOVE NCL, especially a meal at Cagney's ($25pp). The Pearl does not have a retractable roof other than in the Haven, which is considerably more expensive.
Take a look at Princess and Holland America, they both have wonderful sailings, beautiful ships and retractable roofs. And they have been sailing Alaska a lot longer than the others, and have amazing itineraries.
Can't imagine being in Alaska in 50 degree weather in the pool without it.

Absolutely do not choose Holland if you are sailing with children. The clientele is much, much older. Princess is excellent in Alaska but the kids program will not be as comprehensive as DCL's. Only you can decide if the enhanced kids offerings are worth the higher price.

Will DCL allow you to leave your kids in the club when you're off the ship?

Yes, DCL will let you leave your child in the kids area for free while in port on excursions. We did it a couple of times on the Med cruise, but it helped that our in-laws were only doing 1/2 day excursions and were back on the ship within a couple of hours to get him. After having cruised DCL before, we were very comfortable leaving our son. NCL charges a fee if and when they offer this service in port, and they also charged a fee for the kids area after 10:00 at night unlike DCL which is free.

We switched to NCL from DCL for our Alaskan cruise because of school timing. The entertainment was much better than Disney, the dine where you want and when you want was great, and most of the service was really good as well. They have fewer "free" restaurants than DCL, but the crowds were fine if you didn't go when they first opened. They usually got you in and out pretty quick which was nicer than the DCL meals that can take hours. The kids area was a disgrace and like a dungeon, and the kids area staff members were rude. We barely left our son in there on NCL, but he never wants to leave the kids area on DCL. My husband liked DCL food much better. Since I am a pasta and pizza person, NCL food was just fine for me since it wasn't "fancy." DCL has more elaborate and exotic meals.
The NCL buffet area was total chaos with no organization whatsoever.

In terms of Alaskan cruises, I would recommend a more northern Alaska trip or a land/cruise package. I found the NCL cruise boring since most of the Alaskan ports where the ship stopped are only open just for the cruise ships. Once the cruise ships leave, the towns pretty much shut down. They reminded me of old west movie sets. I would have preferred to see "real" Alaskan towns. Mentally, I don't think it helped that we went to Alaska in August.

Yes, DCL will let you leave your child in the kids area for free while in port on excursions. We did it a couple of times on the Med cruise, but it helped that our in-laws were only doing 1/2 day excursions and were back on the ship within a couple of hours to get him. After having cruised DCL before, we were very comfortable leaving our son. NCL charges a fee if and when they offer this service in port, and they also charged a fee for the kids area after 10:00 at night unlike DCL which is free.

We switched to NCL from DCL for our Alaskan cruise because of school timing. The entertainment was much better than Disney, the dine where you want and when you want was great, and most of the service was really good as well. They have fewer "free" restaurants than DCL, but the crowds were fine if you didn't go when they first opened. They usually got you in and out pretty quick which was nicer than the DCL meals that can take hours. The kids area was a disgrace and like a dungeon, and the kids area staff members were rude. We barely left our son in there on NCL, but he never wants to leave the kids area on DCL. My husband liked DCL food much better. Since I am a pasta and pizza person, NCL food was just fine for me since it wasn't "fancy." DCL has more elaborate and exotic meals.
The NCL buffet area was total chaos with no organization whatsoever.

In terms of Alaskan cruises, I would recommend a more northern Alaska trip or a land/cruise package. I found the NCL cruise boring since most of the Alaskan ports where the ship stopped are only open just for the cruise ships. Once the cruise ships leave, the towns pretty much shut down. They reminded me of old west movie sets. I would have preferred to see "real" Alaskan towns. Mentally, I don't think it helped that we went to Alaska in August.

Are you speaking of the Pearl or a different NCL ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter