• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is my stroller to wide for the bus?

FuninMK

Earning My Ears
I am now considering taking my stroller. It is about 1 1/2 feet wide when it is folded up. It is an old Graco Lite Rider. Is my stroller too wide for the buses that run through Disney? I can't bring a cheap umbrella stroller because my DD is 4 1/2 years old and 44 pounds.

I would try to find a higher weight capacity "umbrella" type stroller. I found mine on ebay. It holds up to 50lbs, reclines, has a sunshade, and basket. I would have hated to try to fold up my Graco and keep a hold of it evey time I got on the bus. We also tended to just take the necessities with the umbrella stroller, whereas if we had an enormous stroller, we may have loaded it down-forgetting that it doesn't fold up with all that stuff in it.

Have a great trip:wizard:

It is up to you. WE are bringing our double jogger. I think that the kids comfort all day is worth more than the small amount of time we ride the bus where the larger stroller is inconvenient

I think that after a couple of bus rides, you will get pretty tired of folding up that huge, bulky stroller. Plus you may get some unhappy riders giving you the evil eye (people are cranky at the end of the day on a crowded bus!)
But if your son will only be comfortable in that particular stroller, then by all means, take it along. It will be worth it to keep him as happy as possible.

We have a similar graco stroller and had no problem getting on and off. we brought both that stroller and an umbrella one.
The only time it can be a pain for the bus is if you have stored a lot of stuff underneath but even then no big deal. I just hold it in front of me if i have a seat or hold it next to me if i stand.

We used to rent but we don't anymore with the price increase.
And its nice to have your own stroller. Many times our kids were sleeping all the way back to the door of the resort.
And its nice to have it to walk around the resort too

Maclaren Umbrella Strollers have a 50 pound weight limit. I'm bringing that for my 20 month old. My DS4 refuses to sit in a stroller at WDW, he's too excited. We just always plan mid-day pool breaks so he has some rest time.

From the WDW FAQS (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage#q13) :

Q. Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?

A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller

IMO~ if riding busses, the task of BYO stroller isnt worth the trouble at all. We did this on day 1 of our 9 day trip last year. after those 2 uncomfortable bus rides that first day, we rented on the second day, paying the remaining 8 days in advance, saving a few $ on the total cost. My dd was 2 at the time, and was not at all uncomfortable in the rentals.Plenty of PPl disagree, and swear by their own, I just didnt think it was worth the trouble, and the little one was content:goodvibes

We brought our double jogger in May for our 8 day trip. It is HUGE but VERY comfortable for our two kids (my oldest is at the weight limit). We had a very good system worked out-if the bus was anywhere in sight, I grabbed all of our belonging and the baby, the 5 yr old knew he had to walk and the hubby had the stroller folded and ready to haul onto the bus (we HATE when others wait to fold their stroller until they are actually getting on the bus making others wait). My hubby would find the most out of the way place to stand with it (hard because it was so big). We liked having the stroller in the airport and at the resort to haul tired cranky kids. The cost to rent a double was more than to buy this brand new stroller. We wouldn't leave home without it!

Thanks for the advice. I may just rent a stroller at disney.

If you are going to ride the buses, and since your daughter is 4, I would just rent. Because, we are SKIPPING the buses and just driving this year because of the 'stroller on the bus' craziness. It is just a pain. So we will drive to the parks this year. (I have a JUST TURNED 2 yr old, so we must have a stroller, but it is one that the 4 yr old can ride on back, has a small bench seat.)

Anyway... the advantage of having a stroller from resort to park and back to resort is if you have a little one, you wouldn't have to tote them back and forth from the bus. I think your 4 yr old will be fine walking from the bus to the resort and not need a stroller... EXCEPT if it is late at night when you are leaving.

That's my 2 cents. :goodvibes

If folded up it will be bulky and heavy, I would just rent one there. The bus drivers will definitely make you fold it up.. so if it's a pain to do you might want a smaller stroller or just rent one. Good luck!

We had a very good system worked out-if the bus was anywhere in sight, I grabbed all of our belonging and the baby, the 5 yr old knew he had to walk and the hubby had the stroller folded and ready to haul onto the bus

This is the best piece of advice!!! You have got to have a system!!!

That is my one biggest pet peeve at WDW. I hate when families approach the bus with all their cr@p all over the place. It's not only rude and inconsiderate, but we all waste so much time waiting!!

We also have a system similar to yours above, but I make sure to have a foldable shopping bag (WDW now sells them) for those items that are in the stroller basket or hanging on the stroller.

As soon as we approach the bus stop, mommy gathers everything together. Daddy holds the baby while mommy does this. Then when we're ready, Daddy takes the stroller and DS4 by the hand and Mommy takes baby and tote bag, cooler bag and stroller "junk" bag (which usually all go into totebag).

If you do not have a system and it's a busy time (like a holiday week) you might not make it on the bus if your stuff is not ready. I've seen parents at the front of the bus line asked to move out of the way to gather their stuff and never made it on the bus.

Honestly, that's why we now try to stay at monorail/boat resorts. To ride the buses as little as possible.

Thanks again for everyones advice. My DH and I have decided just to rent the Disney strollers. It sounds like it would be too much of a pain to bring our stroller.

I just bought my dd an avalon umbrella stroller that reclines. It's by avalon so it's a basic stroller reclines with knobs, has a canapy and small bag. It cost $30 http://avalonprod.com/products.php?prod_id=71 It has a longer leg area then normal umbrella strollerlonger still if reclined a bit monre. I'd also consider if your child would be able to walk back to the hotel tired after a long day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter