• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it rude? (picture question)

jkluttrell

Mouseketeer
Maybe rude is not the right word but here is my question: I have two children. A daughter who is 10 and a son who is 7. When we see the characters I would really like to have a photo of the character and my son, the character and my daughter, and the character and both of them. I wouldn't do this with ALL the characters we see but some of them. Will this take too long? Is this rude of me to want this? Will the people behind me get perturbed at me?

Part of me thinks I really don't care if people get angry, I paid a lot of money for this vacation and we don't go as much as some others. The other part of me thinks I don't want people behind me to get angry and think I am being selfish or impolite. Opinions please?

I dont know if its rude, but I have to say I am the person that is always worried about what the people behind me are thinking...Listen the kids will probably have their own scrap books...so they will need their own pictures and of course, your the mommy that would need your own scrap book with both kids...I think it's fine...but wait until the masses respond and then see what they say...you should have made this a survey question that would have a good way to get a grasp of this question...since not everyon would want to type a response, but might want to vote
...I say go for it...who cares...I only have one child so for right now it may bother me or some others with one, but not until I have more kids would I be able to judge...

...btw we go to WDW a bit, but could never get a picture with Mickey (and my DD daughters name is Michey so we always thought it would be cool to get a picture with the mouse) when we finally did she took one by herself and then we did it together...

Just remember that the people behind you will be busy with the characters while you make your get away :) You should have at least a 3-4 minutes head start!!

Don't stress it.. When my DD was 4 years old, we say Chip and Dale outside of Animal Kingdom. We waited in line to get pictures, and she gave Chip a big hug... and didn't let go... i went in to pry her away and was given a right proper Chipmunk scolding, and she hugged him for a good 5 minutes.

When she was done, i said thank you, and we left, and and the line started moving again.

Not a problem at all, but let the kids know the drill: photo together, one steps aside, then the other moves in, and the first one steps aside. Done. The irritation will begin if your children stop and moan, "Moooommmmm, don't take another photo," or the kids have to be told step by step, 'No you move over. No you move there...."

Just have it all organized, then click, click, click. Done.

I would say if you do this, make sure that you kids know what to do ahead of time - basically practice with them. I know that sounds silly, but it makes it a lot easier for you, the character and the character attendent who is watching the line.

I have a friend who used to work at WDW in entertainment. When she would go to the parks with her daughter, her daughter knew the drill. She had her autograph book opened to clean page with her pen out and ready to go, she gave her book to the character, the character signed it and she turned around for the picture, gave the character a hug and then she was done. The reason she did that was because her mom and practiced with her before going to the parks.

It will save you a lot of time and frustration if your kids know what to do before getting into a line. :)

2-3 pictures with each character is within reason. It's not like a portrait sitting for 1/2 an hour. I'd say you're fine. :thumbsup2

I don't see it as being rude at all. I would just take into consideration how long the line is behind you.

I've only incurred one time when someone was upset with us for taking more than one photo, and that was the CM. Most people understand taking more than one photo.

:)Personally, I absolutely love children and love to watch as others get their pictures taken. I am a happy grandmother of 3 small ones and never gave it a thought that they might be taking up too much time and, actually, I have never heard anyone complain. What's a few more minutes if everyone is having a good time? I have never seen anyone really abuse the situation either (taking up perhaps 10-15 min. or more) and I don't believe the CM would allow it.

I think it is ok if your children wait in line. It drives me nuts when people add to the line at the last minute. In some cases it means the families that stood in line behind you don't get to see the character, or they have to wait until the character comes back from a "short" break.

I wouldn't think it was rude if the person in front of me did this. If you had 8 kids and you were doing a group photo, one of each kid, just the boys then just the girls, then just the ones under 5 and then just the ones over 7 and on and on or something, I'd say "Maybe that's a bit much!" but three photos is really not many.

Ina pinch, if there are especially long lines and you end up feeling bad asking to take three separate shots, you can always just make two copies of the picture--one for each kid.

Just have it all organized, then click, click, click. Done.

exactly.. make it quick...

no "Let's see... I think, ummm, no billy you stay over there. Jill come here.. COME HERE... Honey, stand there. Billy come back. Ok, we are ready.. No wait, Billy go over there, Jill, stand up. Smile. Sarah, stop pikcing your nose,"

etc...

quick pics tell em how they will do it. DO NOT keep trying for pictures if Billy doesn't smile. Photoshop a smile next time.

I am the also the type that worries about upsetting the people behind me. If you are quick and efficient, I dont' see the problem. If all these pictures takes a bit long.... if I were behind you I would be irritated.

But my own lesson to myself is dont' worry so much what other think- so do what you want. Just remember... people 10 families back wont' see you.

It wouldn't bother me as long as you snap the picture and are happy with the picture you have. DOn't view it and then re-take it if it's not perfect. Now that would bug me. But if you're quick about it and like op said the kids know what's going on then I think you should be fine.

I see nothing wrong with how you want to take the pic's... each of them deserve their own pictures with whom ever they want...

Thanks for the responses. I should have added that I will be utilizing the photopass people for the character shots (so long as the pre-purchase the cd option is still happening in October) so that should make things quicker too. But both kids will have their own autograph books and I want a photo of both of them for "my" book. I have a friend who went recently with her kids (she has twin girls) and asked her if she took 3 photos and she said no, she mostly was too afraid to ask but that next time they went back she wouldn't be afraid to ask. So I just wanted some more opinions, THANKS!!

I don't necessarily think it's rude, but my philosophy for pictures is quality, not quantity.

Instead of me snapping a bunch of mediocre - good pictures, i spend more time looking for great pictures that I know will end up on our wall or mantle instead of stored forever on an external hard drive.

I never carried about the amount of photos, its a time thing. If children or adults know what to do, it goes quickly enough that taking a few photos wont matter. Its when the guest isn't sure what to do, that it takes awhile.

With that said, everyone pays what they pay to go to WDW. So Im not a fan of guest who think I paid "x" amount. We all paid "x" amount.

I agree three pics in not a big deal. If you are quick about it that is always better. I would be upset seeing a parent rushing the kids threw the pics without the kids enjoying the moment. Might also think about pics at characters dining.

I have found a good trick is to practice on the family ahead of you... that may sound weird but a few quick snaps when you are next in line will give you a chance to practice to make sure that your settings are right and the photos aren't too bright or too dark. This is more important with a DSLR than a Point & Shoot but even a P&S has different settings so it's worthwhile to make sure you are ready when you get your turn. Then you can just delete the practice shots.

I don't think its rude at all. Everyone waits for their turn with the characters, when its your turn you can do what you want! :thumbsup2

However, if you will be taking photos also, it would be courteous to have your camera on and ready to shoot when it's your turn. It is can be a little annoying when people take 5 minutes to take a digital picture b/c they haven't set their camera beforehand - not just for characters, but for anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter