IS IT REALLY SO HARD TO TEACH YOUR KID HOW TO BEHAVE IN A RESTAURANT?

Skywalker

Elementary, My Dear Mickey
This is just a vent. People can be so annoying.

We went out for lunch today to a new Italian restaurant. It was quite busy with a good mix of couples, families and friend groups. The restaurant has a kind of a low key vibe, just quiet conversation.

Then comes the noise. I look around to see this kid about 3 years old banging his silverware loudly against the table, then his plate, then against his glass. Over and over. And the mother was laughing! And then she started egging him on, saying "Jonas, are you a drummer? Can you drum Jonas? Can you hit the glass, Jonas? Can you hit the plate Jonas? What a great drummer you are Jonas! Louder so mommy can hear Jonas!" At which point mom takes out her cell phone to start filming the amazing(?) and talented(?) Jonas loudly hitting his plate and glass.

She seemed completely oblivious to anyone else around (some of whom - not me - were literally covering their ears lol), completely unaware that she should be teaching Jonas how to behave in public, and completely unconcerned about the restaurant's property.

The customers and the owner kept looking at them, but that was the extent of it. How I longed for that diner owner in Maine from the summer that told a kid to "STOP IT" lol.

So many parents nowadays just completely suck. Just completely fail at it.

It was all I could do to not walk past and say "You know what Jonas? Your drumming sucks and so does your upbringing."

That wouldn't have bothered me. I like happy kids it's the crying temper tanturum I have issues with

This is just a vent. People can be so annoying.

We went out for lunch today to a new Italian restaurant. It was quite busy with a good mix of couples, families and friend groups. The restaurant has a kind of a low key vibe, just quiet conversation.

Then comes the noise. I look around to see this kid about 3 years old banging his silverware loudly against the table, then his plate, then against his glass. Over and over. And the mother was laughing! And then she started egging him on, saying "Jonas, are you a drummer? Can you drum Jonas? Can you hit the glass, Jonas? Can you hit the plate Jonas? What a great drummer you are Jonas! Louder so mommy can hear Jonas!" At which point mom takes out her cell phone to start filming the amazing(?) and talented(?) Jonas loudly hitting his plate and glass.

She seemed completely oblivious to anyone else around (some of whom - not me - were literally covering their ears lol), completely unaware that she should be teaching Jonas how to behave in public, and completely unconcerned about the restaurant's property.

The customers and the owner kept looking at them, but that was the extent of it. How I longed for that diner owner in Maine from the summer that told a kid to "STOP IT" lol.

So many parents nowadays just completely suck. Just completely fail at it.

It was all I could do to not walk past and say "You know what Jonas? Your drumming sucks and so does your upbringing."

I thought of the diner owner in Maine, too. Because I wish more owners/managers of restaurants would speak up when stuff like this happens. I understand why they don't, but these silly people don't care that they ruin things for others.

I always feel like mothers like that are looking for attention. Like "Look how easy going I am and how I encourage my son to be himself!"

There was a mother who attended the same story time that we did. He son was so rude and annoying and the way she talked to him made want to smack her with a chair. "Damien, it's not nice to touch other people." "Awww... You like that little girl? Is that why you're pulling her hair?*giggle... She probably doesn't that honey. Just hug her instead." (That last one happened to my daughter. #1- she's lucky she didn't get knocked out by DD,she's very surly ;) and #2, no. Do NOT have your child hug my child without asking first.) FTR, "Damien" was about 4 years old, and to my knowledge had no special needs. She would say it all so loudly so everyone would look at her like, "Look at what a great mom I am!"

Parents can be so lazy or even worse, they think their precious child is just adorable even when he/she is being a nightmare. We have four (12, 14, 15 and 17) who are awesome in restaurants. It absolutely didn't come naturally and their manners were just as important at home for us. DH or I would spend time with them in the car if we had to while everyone else got to enjoy dinner. It didn't take years of training, it just took consistency. It's very easy to tell an out of sorts kid from an undisciplined one by how the parent is or isn't responding to bad behavior.

3 is young. The mother was acting like an idiot but even good parents will struggle with good behavior in a restaurant at that age.
They can struggle, but then they need to be the parent and remove the child from the restaurant so that the rest of the patrons don't have to deal with the annoyance. And if the child simply can not behave, then you don't go out. That's being a parent. When you have kids, sorry, things change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter