• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it possible to order MDR to go?

It is something I will consider if available
I believe, if you're Concierge you can order MDR menus as room service.

Other than that, you'd have to actually show up at the MDR and order your meal at your table and then ask for it to be covered so you can take it out.

I know they will cover a plate and have it delivered if someone needs to leave during dinner, like a child became ill or too cranky. Or even sometimes send something back with family if someone remained in the room due to illness. But I don't think they'd particularly do "take-out" orders - I can see that being abused, and as someone else mentioned the courses are served in order, not necessarily ready to be plated and sent out as a packaged meal. There are alternative locations available for food.

That was in the old times. People abused the service and requested plates from all three menus. Now, there is only one menu available each evening, in the lounge.
Leave to people who abuse it, to ruin it for everyone else.

I know they will cover a plate and have it delivered if someone needs to leave during dinner, like a child became ill or too cranky. Or even sometimes send something back with family if someone remained in the room due to illness. But I don't think they'd particularly do "take-out" orders - I can see that being abused, and as someone else mentioned the courses are served in order, not necessarily ready to be plated and sent out as a packaged meal. There are alternative locations available for food.

Sad that people would abuse it. They’ve sent dinner up for my wife, when she was sick, which was really nice since she has food allergies (and thus can’t quickly get something late at night). They did it without us even asking. The waiter just told me after I told them my wife wouldn’t be joining the table. Super nice of them.

That was in the old times. People abused the service and requested plates from all three menus. Now, there is only one menu available each evening, in the lounge.
Leave to people who abuse it, to ruin it for everyone else.

How is that abuse? At what disney charges for concierge, seems only reasonable to me that if Disney says you can order from MDRs, that means you can get all your favorite MDR food. Having never sailed concierge, I've still had servers surprise me by bringing a favorite dish from another MDR, so you can see how people would get the idea it is all interchangeable.

Of course, I never personally really understood how this is a "perk" of concierge... Disney's MDRs are a much nicer place to eat a meal than a stateroom IMO. But if people want to do it and they've paid concierge to be pampered, that seems more like getting your money's worth than abuse.

Take out is Room Service. The menu is now on line. Or you can go to the food stands on the pool deck. The dining rooms are for people who will be served their dinner with the exceptions noted above but someone from the party has to be at the table to request the meal.

Take out is Room Service. The menu is now on line. Or you can go to the food stands on the pool deck. The dining rooms are for people who will be served their dinner with the exceptions noted above but someone from the party has to be at the table to request the meal.

Understood but the menu is not the same hence the reason for my question

How is that abuse? At what disney charges for concierge, seems only reasonable to me that if Disney says you can order from MDRs, that means you can get all your favorite MDR food. Having never sailed concierge, I've still had servers surprise me by bringing a favorite dish from another MDR, so you can see how people would get the idea it is all interchangeable.
What was advertised at the time was that you could order a meal from ONE of the three menus. For a long time, Concierge guests requested plates for all three anyway, using the ‘with the money I spent’ argument. That meant that the server had to go to all three galleys to gather the meal then bring it up, adding time to the preparation of the meals for them and having some items end up not being very presentable. We were told by some Concierge hosts that most of the meal requests did not follow the rule at all at the end. Guests didn’t even make an effort.

Since everyone is working for tips, they didn’t want the hosts to say no to guests, so they simply removed the possibility.

We’ve also had special items brought from another MDR a few times, simply because we mentioned we liked it more than what was available in ours. But that’s quite different from allowing you to order any item from any MDR each night. The system is not set up to handle that. The same was true for the Concierge in-room dining.

Last edited:
They should have just made it uber clear you could only order from one menu, rather than taking the whole perk away. Eating in a lounge is nothing like getting to eat in your stateroom, and DCL knows that.
I didn't understand your comment, so I went back and read my previous post and I see where the confusion came from (English is not my main language...). You can still eat in your room, but there is only one menu posted in the lounge for each night. The perk is still there. They just removed the option to pick from which MDR you wanted to order.

I didn't understand your comment, so I went back and read my previous post and I see where the confusion came from (English is not my main language...). You can still eat in your room, but there is only one menu posted in the lounge for each night. The perk is still there. They just removed the option to pick from which MDR you wanted to order.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Odd, I would think they would allow you to order from whichever menu you would have had in your rotation for that night. How do they decide what will be on the one menu?

Odd, I would think they would allow you to order from whichever menu you would have had in your rotation for that night. How do they decide what will be on the one menu?
They just pick one of the three menus available that night. It’s the same for every Concierge guest.

The problem was probably that people were not sticking to one menu but wanting things from all three dining rooms. The kitchen is not shared between all three, so that would require a lot more work running between them.

Does anyone have a copy on the in-room concierge dining menu?
In any room without a dining table, meaning anything smaller than a 1BR, it’s the regular room service menu.

In a 1BR, 2BR or Royal suite, you can order from the main dining room menu selected for that evening. It is made available every day in the lounge. It is therefore not a set menu throughout the cruise.

In the Roy and Walt Suite, you can order a Palo meal. The menu is the same as in the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter