Is it possible to get out of getting my dtr the flu shot?

I didn't. I definitely had the flu. And when I had H1N1, they made me wear the surgical mask. I got pneumonia from H1N1 so it just kept dragging out and I got even more meds. I didn't think I was ever going to feel right. As the saying goes, I wasn't sure if I was dying or just wanted to. I still don't have my DD get vaccinated.
I guess it's your choice, but I find it shocking that you would not want to TRY to protect your child from such a traumatic experience.

I guess it's your choice, but I find it shocking that you would not want to TRY to protect your child from such a traumatic experience.

She has a strong immune system. Mine is compromised. If something walks by me, I catch it. She doesn't. DH won't bring work clothes home because he doesn't want to carry home what he gets into working with patients. he washes them at the station.

A car accident is traumatic. Should we keep kids out of cars to protect them from being in one? :confused3

Is it just me or when someone says "we don't get the flu shot" others try to convince them they need it. But if someone says "we get the flu shot" no one says "you shouldn't".

I'm 42 years old, never had the shot, never gotten the flu. No one in my family got the flu. I'm simply not convinced the shot lives up to the hype. My choice. You want the shot? Go for it.

I know about Herbert Spencer but Darwin inspired the phrase and is more associated with it. The post I answered asked about Darwin so I used it.

I understand your argument but feel that whether or not a child is vaccinated is a decision that should rest with the parents and not with the government.

If you understand Spencer and Darwin's theories, why did you misrepresent how their theories of natural selection and survival of the fittest would cause Darwin to be anti-vaccination, since neither theory (one of which was not even his) would in any way translate to an objection to vaccinations?

According to this website it is the law in New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml

This is the code for a Religious Exemption which states the school should not question the parent's written statement of religious exemption. Do with that whatever your own value system requires

If you take this route you cannot pick and choose which ones to give your kids. You must stop all vaccination and write a statement explaining that you have done so.

If you have received the other 18 or so vaccinations required by NJ, why do you have a problem with this one?

If you believe in the right for a NJ parent to choose whether or not to vaccinate, call your legislature and ask them to vote yes on A2450 when it comes up for a vote.

http://njvaccinationchoice.org/why-are-we/

If you take this route you cannot pick and choose which ones to give your kids. You must stop all vaccination and write a statement explaining that you have done so.

If you have received the other 18 or so vaccinations required by NJ, why do you have a problem with this one?

If you believe in the right for a NJ parent to choose whether or not to vaccinate, call your legislature and ask them to vote yes on A2450 when it comes up for a vote.

http://njvaccinationchoice.org/why-are-we/

Well, in my religion it states (condensed version of course) that dh and I as parents are to make the decisions regarding our children's well being. So yes, we could get 18 other vaccines and decide this one is not happening. That is our religious right.

A car accident is traumatic. Should we keep kids out of cars to protect them from being in one? :confused3

Is it just me or when someone says "we don't get the flu shot" others try to convince them they need it. But if someone says "we get the flu shot" no one says "you shouldn't".

I'm 42 years old, never had the shot, never gotten the flu. No one in my family got the flu. I'm simply not convinced the shot lives up to the hype. My choice. You want the shot? Go for it.

Do you put your kids in a car seat?

Well, in my religion it states (condensed version of course) that dh and I as parents are to make the decisions regarding our children's well being. So yes, we could get 18 other vaccines and decide this one is not happening. That is our religious right.
That's not comparable to your religion prohibiting medicine or medical intervention.

Nope but both are valid reasons for getting a waiver.
"The religion I practice prohibits all medicine and medical intervention" validates use of the religious exemption.
"I interpret my religion saying I'm responsible for my child's well-being to exempt my child from this and only this vaccination among all other vaccinations and other medical treatments", not so much.
"I refuse to get my child vaccinated against influenza, so in compliance with the law my child withdraws from this preschool/day care until March" is the ethical alternative.

That is just the stance here in NJ. There are many other states that allow a philosophical exemption, which would allow you to decline one or many shots.

If you write a religious exemption, be prepared to get a call from a nurse from the NJ dept of health telling you that you cannot pick and choose if you want to declare a religious exemption. You must abstain from all vaccinations. If you are willing to do that from here on out you are good to go.

If parents want the right to choose whether or not to inject their kids they need to phone their legislators and demand that they pass laws allow the choice.

That is just the stance here in NJ. There are many other states that allow a philosophical exemption, which would allow you to decline one or many shots.

If you write a religious exemption, be prepared to get a call from a nurse from the NJ dept of health telling you that you cannot pick and choose if you want to declare a religious exemption. You must abstain from all vaccinations. If you are willing to do that from here on out you are good to go.

If parents want the right to choose whether or not to inject their kids they need to phone their legislators and demand that they pass laws allow the choice.

People convert to different religions quite often.

Rarely to avoid a single vaccination.

Just pull the child out of preschool/daycare for the winter.

People convert to different religions quite often.

Yes, they absolutely do. However, her religious exemption could be questioned if she goes ahead and gets more shots after taking an exemption for the flu shot. I'm not sure they could deny the exemption but I know of situations where they were questioned by the dept of health if the pupil had prior vaccinations.

I get the impression if you take the R Exemption you absolutely do not get any shots. Vaccination must go against your deeply held religious beliefs, not just one particular vaccination.

What she needs is a philosophical exemption, which MI and many other states have but here in NJ we do not. There is a bill that is waiting to be voted on but it keeps getting pushed down on the list of priorities by the assembly and has yet to be voted on.

Rarely to avoid a single vaccination.

Just pull the child out of preschool/daycare for the winter.

Doesn't matter the season. You must have this shot to get into preschool or daycare, says the law. OR a religious exemption from vaccines.

Yes, they absolutely do. However, her religious exemption could be questioned if she goes ahead and gets more shots after taking an exemption for the flu shot. I'm not sure they could deny the exemption but I know of situations where they were questioned by the dept of health if the pupil had prior vaccinations.

I get the impression if you take the R Exemption you absolutely do not get any shots. Vaccination must go against your deeply held religious beliefs, not just one particular vaccination.

What she needs is a philosophical exemption, which MI and many other states have but here in NJ we do not. There is a bill that is waiting to be voted on but it keeps getting pushed down on the list of priorities by the assembly and has yet to be voted on.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. I personally don't know of any religion that specifically states "no vaccines". Yes, there are some who don't believe in doctors at all etc. but most religions state it is up to the parents to care for their children in the best way they see fit. (again, condensed version). So it is not philisophical. It is a religious reason. If it was philisophical it would be against personally held beliefs that have nothing to do with religion. I know it is splitting hairs but that is what it is. I feel bad for those in NJ with this law. I know if I was questioned I would be less than charming with my responses.

Yes, there are some who don't believe in doctors at all etc.

Which would be the religions for which the exemption is written. A broader, "my religion says I'm responsible for my child's well-being so I will have my child vaccinated against every single other virus/disease for which a vaccine exists and I will seek medical care for my child every time he so much as sniffles but I refuse to have him vaccinated against this one specific virus", again, not so much.

Parents who refuse to have their child get this one specific vaccination can do it without misrepresentation in New Jersey. They just can't send the child to preschool.

The private and/or religious preschools do NOT have to accept a religious exemption.

"New Jersey has mandatory vaccination regulations, however, a child can attend public or most private schools with select or no vaccines if the parent/guardian provides a valid medical or religious exemption letter to the school administrator. Private and religiously affiliated schools may or may not accept religious vaccine exemptions, however. NJ does not currently allow parents to use a conscientious/philosophical vaccine exemption, which would change if bill A1368 passes into law."

Ask the preschool to sign a waiver stating they will take on any and all responsibility if your child has a reaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!