• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it ok to bring our own insullatex cups onboard?

Delrea said:
So sorry in advance for such a silly question but it's packing time!

I would think so as I brought a half a package of bottled water and a bottle of wine and was not questioned

You can bring your own cups. The only thing is you will need to use the disposable cup to fill them with your drink. You cannot fill them up directly from the drink station.

So sorry in advance for such a silly question but it's packing time!

You can bring your own cups. The only thing is you will need to use the disposable cup to fill them with your drink. You cannot fill them up directly from the drink station.

:wave2: Hi!
We brought our own cups and filled them directly from the drink station and was not questioned.

We actually learned we can do this from many other Disney Cruise Veterans that posted it on these blogs :thumbsup2

Douvres Family said:
:wave2: Hi!
We brought our own cups and filled them directly from the drink station and was not questioned.

We actually learned we can do this from many other Disney Cruise Veterans that posted it on these blogs :thumbsup2

We did the same, didn't think to use the cups there to refill. No signage or cast members said anything. I do the same at home at drink fountains.... Oops?

what are these cups you are referring to? do you have to buy them on board to get free refills?

never sailed so thanks for the help

Disney offers free beverage stations at several areas around the ship. They contain Coke products, iced tea, coffee.

The cups people are referring to are ones that they have at home. The disposable cups Disney provides are fairly small.

The reason it is recommended that you use the disposable cups to fill your own cup is to avoid the transmission of germs from your used cup to the machine and then on to the next user. The same reason the buffet requests that you get a new plate on each trip.

what are these cups you are referring to? do you have to buy them on board to get free refills?

never sailed so thanks for the help

You have free sodas, milk, tea, coffee, etc at the drink station on Deck 9 on the Magic. There are disposable cups available. They ask for sanitary purposes that you use a clean cup each time -- so I will bring my favorite Tervis, fill a disposable cup, and pour into my Tervis so that my own Tervis is never in contact with the drink machine. There are signs asking for people to please use a new cup for each refill. They will also give you a wet-wipe to wash your hands with any time you enter a restaurant onboard or return from port (sanitizer stations with pumps). Just more ways to help lower the spread of germs.

Woodmnky said:
Disney offers free beverage stations at several areas around the ship. They contain Coke products, iced tea, coffee.

The cups people are referring to are ones that they have at home. The disposable cups Disney provides are fairly small.

The reason it is recommended that you use the disposable cups to fill your own cup is to avoid the transmission of germs from your used cup to the machine and then on to the next user. The same reason the buffet requests that you get a new plate on each trip.

There were no signs on the Dream and Fantasy recently. I think it's because the new ships use push-button dispensers instead of the lever-kind that you push your cup against. With the push buttons I don't see how the risk of contamination is much higher. Plus you don't waste a paper cup!

ETA: at least, I had heard the classic ships have the lever dispensers. I can't speak from experience :)

This theory does not work anyways. Say my glass (glass A) is contaminated. I use their glass (glass B) to fill mine. So here goes. I put glass B up to the machine fill it up and dump it glass A, glassB is now contaminated. But wait, glass A is not full so I put glass B back up to the machine to fill more, machine is now contaminated! Unless you are a major germ-a-phob and feel better because this method has the appearance of looking more sanitary, there is NO point in wasting tons of glass B's just to fill glass A's. Sorry, I feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders. I am usually a very easy going person, but I have been reading these threads for months in preparation for our Jan Fantasy cruise and this is the one issue that comes up over and over and I just could not keep it anymore and I had to post! Now I feel better :)

There were no signs on the Dream and Fantasy recently. I think it's because the new ships use push-button dispensers instead of the lever-kind that you push your cup against. With the push buttons I don't see how the risk of contamination is much higher. Plus you don't waste a paper cup!

ETA: at least, I had heard the classic ships have the lever dispensers. I can't speak from experience :)
It has nothing to do with the dispenser (lever or button). The risk of transmission occurs from the cup rim (or otherwise) contacting the dispenser. Please fill only into clean cups. Thanks in advance!

This is on the Magic and Wonder. The drink stations on the Dream and Fantasy have different nozzles. I think you push a button on those, and the cup does not come in contact with the nozzle or lever at all. At any rate there is no requirement and no signs on the Dream or Fantasy that you use a paper cup to refill your reuseable one.

It has nothing to do with the dispenser (lever or button). The risk of transmission occurs from the cup rim (or otherwise) contacting the dispenser. Please fill only into clean cups. Thanks in advance!

I'm confused as to how you think contamination happens with the CUP if the cup never touches the dispenser - for instance with a push button where you use your hand to dispense (which is a whole different germ issue).

Very true...
I'm confused as to how you think contamination happens with the CUP if the cup never touches the dispenser - for instance with a push button where you use your hand to dispense (which is a whole different germ issue).

Exactly!
I do have a slight phobia of germs...to the point that after I wash my hands in public restrooms, I take a paper towel and open door knobs with the paper towel. However, I know I cant walk around with the paper towel or gloves.

That being said...if there was any sign of germs being transmitted by me using my cup, I would not.

Also, has anyone noticed what the small children do with their hands before they go to the fountains...they are kids and they don't know better...but we have to keep things into perspective.

Operative word is if.
Cups pressed up against machine or dispenser. Many sources of transmission.
My take on kids - parents need to help thei children avoid transmission, as part of social responsibility. But that's another thread.
(Btw. Strong background in microbiology and epidemiology here, so I'm not just blowing smoke.)
And for post 10: "theory" applies to drinking out of a containor, then refilling at the station. If cup B never touches Cup a, then you're good to go.
I just haven
Nt met a lot of folks outside of labs that are trained in aseptic or sterile cell culture techniques...
Please, folks, use new cups. Lets all work together, to keep each other healthy and enjoy our cruise! Thanks!

Operative word is if.
My take on kids - parents need to help thei children avoid transmission, as part of social responsibility. But that's another thread.
(Btw. Strong background in microbiology and epidemiology here, so I'm not just blowing smoke.)
And for post 10: "theory" applies to drinking out of a containor, then refilling at the station. If cup B never touches Cup a, then you're good to go.
I just haven
Nt met a lot of folks outside of labs that are trained in aseptic or sterile cell culture techniques...
Please, folks, use new cups. Lets all work together, to keep each other healthy and enjoy our cruise! Thanks!

Wouldn't it be great if the world would be as you suggest.
It all starts with the parents.
It's a shame how many grown men in JoS A. Banks suits I've witnessed pick their noses and high executive managers who don's wash their hands before they leave the restrooms. Hence, the reason why I don't shake hands with anyone any more.

Unsubscribing to this thread...keep the good working educating each other...please check your spelling and grammar.

Happy Sails!!!

ddixon1 said:
Operative word is if.
I just haven

I don't mean to be argumentative here. I didn't major in microbio, just a minor in chemistry...but what's the likelihood that I am going to transmit germs from my cup when a) I unscrew the lid to refill (so no mouth-touched or even germ-infested soda-touched parts go anywhere near the machine) and b) no part of my cup ever touches ANY part of the dispenser? I would argue eating at the buffets incurs more risk.

As for kids and their hygiene habits, my kids don't use the soda machine. They are short and therefore way too slow (holding up the line). But if they did, I would teach them attention to proper hygiene practices. Anyway, I'm more scared of touching those dispenser buttons!!!!

I don't mean to be argumentative here. I didn't major in microbio, just a minor in chemistry...but what's the likelihood that I am going to transmit germs from my cup when a) I unscrew the lid to refill (so no mouth-touched or even germ-infested soda-touched parts go anywhere near the machine) and b) no part of my cup ever touches ANY part of the dispenser? I would argue eating at the buffets incurs more risk.

As for kids and their hygiene habits, my kids don't use the soda machine. They are short and therefore way too slow (holding up the line). But if they did, I would teach them attention to proper hygiene practices. Anyway, I'm more scared of touching those dispenser buttons!!!!
Sorry about the typos! I was on the typing on run.... My bad!
The problem with refillable drink containers is.....
Backwash! (Now, there's a cool chemistry project!). ;)
Drink dispensers are particular harbingers due to sugar content. Add saliva to sugar-water, and it's a microbe field day!
And buffets are... Problematic. I tend to approach with caution....
Touching any shared objects can be a source of transmission, of course. However, I appreciate the efforts of DCL at wiping things down.
I try to use common sense, e.g., try to keep my hands away from my nose and mouth, wash my hands before meals, etc.
I'm not germ phobic (wouldn't cruise if I were), but I do need to take reasonable precautions, due to some health compromise.
I appreciate when I see parents teach kids good hygiene.
It's not the same world as it was.... Drug resistant superbugs are changing the way we all need to approach things!
Looking forward to enjoying our next cruise!

Cheers! ;)

Jumping in to say not only is there NOT signs asking or telling one to use fresh cups on the Dream but each and every resort has for purchase refillable mugs which are to be used at resorts with no cups on the side of said machines.

Sorry about the typos! I was on the typing on run.... My bad!
The problem with refillable drink containers is.....
Backwash! (Now, there's a cool chemistry project!).
Drink dispensers are particular harbingers due to sugar content. Add saliva to sugar-water, and it's a microbe field day!
And buffets are... Problematic. I tend to approach with caution....
Touching any shared objects can be a source of transmission, of course. However, I appreciate the efforts of DCL at wiping things down.
Whoa! Thank goodness Disney allows you to bring on bottled water. After this thread I think that's what I will be sticking with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter