is it common to get food poisoning at disney?

I was on a business trip and my D-BFF & I at dinner at the castle. I swear that Cinderella poisoned me...my girls said it was the step-mother. I felt perfectly fine. I was having a grand time until about 30-45 minutes after eating dinner. I could tell you EVERY bathroom in the Magic Kingdom.

Slept that night and was perfectly fine the next day. Some would say it could be the flu but it wasn't even 24 hours...less than 12. Seemed once the bad things were gone, I was better.

Now Cindy & I have made peace with this. I still come to Disney, afterall it's a LARGE company & they can't be perfect ALL the time. mistakes happen, now I know where all the bathrooms are. :)

I think I may have gotten a mild case as well! I ate at Le Cellier and about a half hour after eating I started to feel sick. I hit every bathroom in the world showcase and even tried taking pepto, which only seemed to make it worse. The next morning, I felt fine.

It may not always be food poisoning or a mild case of it. I normally do not eat foods that are fried or prepared in a greasy way at home. I think when your stomach isnt use to eating like that all the time it can takes its toll on you.

It may not always be food poisoning or a mild case of it. I normally do not eat foods that are fried or prepared in a greasy way at home. I think when your stomach isnt use to eating like that all the time it can takes its toll on you.

Excactly! I think it is fairly common to get upset stomach-type illnesses at Disney, but I think in some cases it is food poisoning, but it also could be attributed to eating more food, and food higher in fat and sugar than you are used to.

My friend and her DH were pretty certain they got food poisoning last month there. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was a resort restaurant that sold crab or clam chowder. They both were violently sick for about 12 hours and their two kids did not get it. Their son was a preemie and had a very low immune system (He's 9 now), and he usually always gets things first.

In April my sister and I had lunch at Tony's. I was hungry and ate kind of fast. Later that afternoon I didn't feel so good. Luckily we were close to a bathroom and I made it just in time. It was awful. I thought it was just a combination of the heat and eating too fast. Later in the week the night before we were going to leave my sister got some food from the food court at Pop. Later that night she got sick. In both cases we both got sick after eating TURKEY, which made me think that it might be food poisoning or at least related to the turkey. Both lasted about 12-16 hours. It was awful.

On our most recent trip we both stayed clear of turkey of any kind and had no problems.

Do you normally eat turkey at home? After one thanksgiving my wife got deathly ill, but she kept eating her leftovers but she just got sicker.

At an allergy appointment she found out she was extremely allergic to turkey.

I thought that food poisoning was relatively rare and usually many people get it all at once from the same establishment? I bet that most people are getting this virus or just reacting to food that their systems aren't used to.

I would bet it is NOT food poisoning. Actual poisoning is really really rare and every post here is of a different food and different restaurant. I would bet it is more, odd food + too much heat + too much exercise = body in rebellion.
My tummy tends to get upset in Disney, but I can blame it on the above combination. Whenever I am off my normal schedule for a bit I get tummy troubles regardless of where I am.

Last family trip 3 of us came down with a HORRIBLE case of flu, the other 3 did not. It's common for it not to get everyone in the household, so it could have possibly been either the flu or food poisoning. You'll probably never know for sure.

We were lucky enough to be seated with current MK CMs at Biergarten 2 weeks ago. They are retired and work in food service for Disney.

We had a nice time talking to them, and they told us that they have never seen any company that is SO careful with their food handling. They will throw something away if there is any question about it.

They said you can feel confident in the food handling at WDW, and they are happy to eat anywhere on property.

I suppose it's possible anywhere, including WDW, but even with the decline in food quality there is probably enough of a turnover that the food is likely relatively fresh.

99.9 percent of the time food poisoning doesnt come from old food. it comes from cross cantamination. workers who dont pay attention drive me crazy! i like when you see a worker with food service gloves on touching everything dirty then touch your food. do they think the gloves are to protect them from getting there hands dirty?

so food poisoning comes from a worker touching raw chicken or meat then touching somthing that has been prepared (hamburger, salad...) i see it all the time and i ask to see a manager.

it can also come from an employee using the bathroom and not washing there hands properly. proper hand washing is using an antibacterial soap washing for 20 seconds and rinsing with warm to hot water. when you are finished washing your hands dont turn the dirty facuet off with your clean hands. this is another thing that makes me crazy. remember when walking into a bathroom EVERYTHING is covered in fecal matter :sick:

so please keep your eyes open. more times than not i see workers handeling food horribly wrong and you have to say womthing about it. if not you have a chance of getting sick.

It maybe the start of a trend:confused3:rolleyes1, If you have people waiting and waiting and hungry, the cooks are going to rush the cook time on the food resulting in under cooked food. I had a steak that was supposed to be served well done and it came out barely cooked:sick:, I tried to eat around the raw pieces because I didn't want to have to send it back. I got sick the next morning, I know it was the steak. It won't happen that way the next time:rolleyes1

here is another misunderstanding about food. you can eat a rare steak without getting sick. the ecoli bacteria that you find in raw meat only grows on the outside of the meat. in order to kill it the outside of the meat has to reach 160. that happens as soon as it hits the grill. this does not hold true in hamburger meat. you have to cook hamburger meat to 160 degrees in the center to make sure all the bacteria is killed. the reason for this is when the meat is ground the bacteria is spread all around, indide and out.

so the chances of your "undercooked" steak making you sick is slim to none.

I got sick the last night of our trip last year and had to FLY home the next day! I was SO miserable :sad1:. My experience sounds similar to other postings. Definitely NOT the way I wanted to end my Disney trip!

We were in WDW last week and got sick. We arrived Sunday PM, DH started having diarrhea on Tuesday AM, started vomiting that afternoon, stopped by evening but didn't really feel well enough to do anything until the next day. Wednesday evening, I had a single horrible episode of diarrhea but was fine after that so it could have been stress. I also almost vomited after club cool on Friday, DH actually said I looked green, but really, that stuff was nasty so I don't think it was related. DS(4) started vomiting in the middle of the night on Wednesday, probalby about 4 times and lasted about 3 hours. He mostly slept through it, probably thought he was dreaming. We tried to rest Thurday morning so he could recover, but he seemed perfectly fine, bouncing off the walls ready to go, he hadn't thrown up in a few hours, so we went.

I would say you may have gotton a virus. Food poisoning affects everyone differently, but I've noticed it hits about 6 hours after the meal, everyone gets it at the same time, you vomit first, then have diarrhea. With a virus, it may or may not spread depending on carefulness and symptoms vary depending on your immune system can handle it.(like if you already had similar disease in past and still have antibodies) I even wonder if the flu shot maybe helped with this one because DH did not get his.

I saw another thread on here about people getting sick with similar symptoms, but can't find it now. Sorry you got sick!

I've gotten food poisoning at Disney. I'm fairly positive it was from Marakesh. Because of the quickness of the "illness," and the fact that I was the only one of our group of 15 who ate a particular dish and the only one who got sick, it was definitely food poisoning and not noro or another virus. It does happen, but thankfully it's not common.

When you have as many restaurants and as many people working there as Disney does, it would be strange for them NOT to have the occasional episode of mild food poisoning. I think the reason you don't hear about it much though is that most people either brush it off as a bug, or don't bother to report it. I certainly didn't report it when it happened, I just went back to the room and stayed in bed for the rest of the evening.

Five of the seven members of our family got sick at Disney last week. I don't think it was food poisoning because we were not all sick at the same time. At least one cast member let it slip that something was definitely going around. For anyone who was sick last week, where were you staying - we were at Coronado Springs.

The direct answer to the OP's question is: NO.

TRUE, genuine food poisoning is rare and tho it can happen, most times when it does a large # of people get sick from eating the same contaminated food.

My guess is that many (in fact, most) cases of illness blamed on "food poisoning" are actually cases of people eating foods they aren't used to eating.

It maybe the start of a trend:confused3:rolleyes1, If you have people waiting and waiting and hungry, the cooks are going to rush the cook time on the food resulting in under cooked food. I had a steak that was supposed to be served well done and it came out barely cooked:sick:, I tried to eat around the raw pieces because I didn't want to have to send it back. I got sick the next morning, I know it was the steak. It won't happen that way the next time:rolleyes1

Oh, come on. Under-cooked food happens everywhere. If you want to ruin your food and oder it well done, thats one thing. To say your steak was undercooked for your liking because he was trying to rush you out the door and that gave you food poisoning is ludacris.

here is another misunderstanding about food. you can eat a rare steak without getting sick. the ecoli bacteria that you find in raw meat only grows on the outside of the meat. in order to kill it the outside of the meat has to reach 160. that happens as soon as it hits the grill. this does not hold true in hamburger meat. you have to cook hamburger meat to 160 degrees in the center to make sure all the bacteria is killed. the reason for this is when the meat is ground the bacteria is spread all around, indide and out.

so the chances of your "undercooked" steak making you sick is slim to none.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter