is it common to get food poisoning at disney?

My2CrazyGirls

DIS Veteran
I am just wondering because I got sick last week and I am pretty sure it was food poisoning and not a stomach virus because no one else got it. I have read on here people saying they got sick.

Lots of people have posted getting sick, it is common this time of year..Lots of crowds=lots of germs.It could be food poisoning, but could also be the Noro-virus. Which is what I am betting MOST people that posted in the last few weeks have.

May not be common, but as with any restaurant or place that serves food, it's always a possibility. Never know when or where you might get it.

It could also be noro or another noro like virus that you contracted from eating a certain place- not on the same lines of salmonella or ecoli but still a food borne illness.

If you've just started to feel sick, your family may have it also since it takes about a week for the incubation period. You could have just picked it up first.

Feel better!

On our March 2010 trip I think I got it. I cannot prove that it was food poisoning 100%, but I think that is was. The way it came on and how it was so violent..yuck! :sick: then ended about 16 hours later led me to believe that it was.

Of course there is a possibility it could have been a virus, but who knows. Anyway, I would not wish either on anyone, especially during a vacation. The one thing that I could say that I was thankful for, is that I was only confined to the room for one day, it could have been longer.

My DH came down with this last December while in Disney. I don't know if it was noro or food poisoning, but it came on so suddenly and he was so sick to the point of me thinking of a trip to the hospital because he was so weak. DS and I did not get it and to me it seemed like a bad case of food poisoning.

We actually were standing at Soarin waiting for our fastpass time to come up when it hit him. Thank God the CM didn't go against procedure...we were a bit early for our return time and he kept us there. Had he let us through, well, I will leave it at that! He was sick for the remainder of the night and during the night and partially the next day. That was a thursday when it started and when we left on Saturday, he was still feeling a bit week.

I got sick last summer and I am sure it was food poisoning. We had eaten at the castle for lunch and that evening I got really bad diarrhea. It was horrible. Couldn't get back to the room fast enough. As soon as I got back the vomiting started and then I started feeling better. Weak the next day but much better.

I've been known to get sick when I'm at WDW...but can never really pinpoint the cause. On our most recent trip in September I think it was due to the heat/dehydration (though I was drinking a TON of water). But, who knows, it could have been food poisoning....could have been a flu bug...

Whatever the cause, I hope you feel better soon!!

I suppose it's possible anywhere, including WDW, but even with the decline in food quality there is probably enough of a turnover that the food is likely relatively fresh.

I am just wondering because I got sick last week and I am pretty sure it was food poisoning and not a stomach virus because no one else got it. I have read on here people saying they got sick.

It maybe the start of a trend:confused3:rolleyes1, If you have people waiting and waiting and hungry, the cooks are going to rush the cook time on the food resulting in under cooked food. I had a steak that was supposed to be served well done and it came out barely cooked:sick:, I tried to eat around the raw pieces because I didn't want to have to send it back. I got sick the next morning, I know it was the steak. It won't happen that way the next time:rolleyes1

I got it last Monday. No one else has it yet so hopefully they wont. I would bet 70% chance food poisoning but who knows. I know it can happen anywhere.

No, if it was you would see the Health Department investigating and it would be all over the local news 24/7.

Food Poisoning is a very serious issue.

Food poisoning is rare. If it were food poisoning, there would be whole bunches of people complaining about it based on a specific restaurant. Think about how you read about an issue with food poisoning at a local restaurant. The media and Board of Health is all over that, yet when was the last time we heard this about a Disney venue?

Stomach virus on the other hand (especially the noro types) are quite common in crowded places. Sorry to be gross, but this virus gets passed on when someone who is sick didn't wash well after the bathroom, touched something you later touched, and then you touched your mouth.

Disney is more crowded than a cruise ship, day care, nursing home, etc., and think how often we hear about one of those places having noro going around. Also, the amount of children, who unfortunately don't always have the best hand washing skills, is huge compared to those other places. Factor in how many handrails, seats, seatbelt fasteners, etc. you touch at Disney and you can see how these complaints are not food bourne illnesses.

It is really impossible to pin point as most posted illnesses where the poster knows it was food poinsing, or knows they got a virus at DW, did not seek medical attention or verification, so it is only a guess/opinion.

Bit like the bed bug claims without verification - just someone taking a guess.

Any food cooked in any restaurant or home could give someone food poisoning and someone could pick up a virual or bacterial infection at DW, prior to arriving at DW, or enroute to DW.

What makes me nervous are the posts I see about dragging vomiting children on buses and around the parks, making them unconfortable and spreading their illness to others. Please, if someone is that sick, stay in your room.

I was on a business trip and my D-BFF & I at dinner at the castle. I swear that Cinderella poisoned me...my girls said it was the step-mother. I felt perfectly fine. I was having a grand time until about 30-45 minutes after eating dinner. I could tell you EVERY bathroom in the Magic Kingdom.

Slept that night and was perfectly fine the next day. Some would say it could be the flu but it wasn't even 24 hours...less than 12. Seemed once the bad things were gone, I was better.

Now Cindy & I have made peace with this. I still come to Disney, afterall it's a LARGE company & they can't be perfect ALL the time. mistakes happen, now I know where all the bathrooms are. :)

On the last night of our honeymoon 10.5 years ago, DH and I got very sick that evening when we got back to our room (i.e., vomiting). Lasted a few hours and was gone. No virus is that short -- we definitely think it was food poisoning -- came on suddenly and at exactly the same time for the both of us.

Now to answer your question as to whether it's common . . . beats me. It was the only I've ever gotten sick at Disney.

In April my sister and I had lunch at Tony's. I was hungry and ate kind of fast. Later that afternoon I didn't feel so good. Luckily we were close to a bathroom and I made it just in time. It was awful. I thought it was just a combination of the heat and eating too fast. Later in the week the night before we were going to leave my sister got some food from the food court at Pop. Later that night she got sick. In both cases we both got sick after eating TURKEY, which made me think that it might be food poisoning or at least related to the turkey. Both lasted about 12-16 hours. It was awful.

On our most recent trip we both stayed clear of turkey of any kind and had no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter