I make one with artichokes and french style green beans that is awesome. I can't stand the old classic way lol

Just sayin.. it is better than the cheaper Kraft Cheese Food Product Singles.
Remember, we are talking American Cheese here! Not fancy/gourmet aged or cream cheeses.
I def. know that it does not compare to those types of cheeses

I'm not a big fan of green bean casserole...I had never had it until I married my husband and found out it was a Thanksgiving tradition in his family. I can't say I don't mildly like it...but mostly for it's unhealthy quality (I used to love canned cream of mushroom soup)...although I certainly don't understand the hype around it! I think the hype is probably mostly that's it's just a family tradition and not so much the flavor. I guess I'd agree it's kind of bland, but definitely very salty and kind of slimy! lol

GBC is my DD's favorite part of the holiday meal. But I change it up. Less soup and milk because we like it thick and not runny. I use French style GB and lots of them, drained so there is almost no liquid. I add chopped water chestnuts for crunch. I buy the BIG can of FF onions and we use the whole thing. Lots on top. No chance of blandness.

Because 4 cans of green beans is no longer 4 measured cups of green beans, I do not dilute the soup as much. It calls for 3/4 cup milk per can of soup. I used 1 can milk to two cans of soup, and the consistency was right.

I also use twice as much pepper, add a pinch of salt, as well as several dashed of dried minced onions and a dash of garlic powder.

I lay this in a 9x13 greased casserole and use the large container fried onion, to ensure maximum fried onion coverage.

I've only had it a few times, and never made it. But yes, I think it IS bland. Not to mention it looks unappetizing and has a weird texture that is unappealing. But many people love it. Just another of those things in life that make me say Hmmmm....

Personally, I prefer to sauté some fresh green beans with some minced garlic and butter, then add a tiny bit of salt and pepper. For me, it tastes and looks a lot better than the casserole.

My green bean casserole never turns out bland. In fact, it's one of my favorite things to make and enjoy at Thanksgiving! I usually follow the recipe pretty well, but I use cut green beans instead of the french ones.

Well, I use peas instead of green beans, and probably more onions than the "recipe" (I actually don't have one) calls for, so mine is totally different. But you could always experiment with more spices if you want to try it again!

While I do enjoy a traditional green bean casserole, I do agree that it can be rather bland. I started making sure my beans were as dry as possible, using less milk, more fried onions, and even do the new soy sauce thing that the more modern version of the recipe calls for, but none of these things really seem to help. I hesitate to add more salt because with the canned soup, soy sauce, and canned fried onions how much more salt do you need?? I might try garlic powder and minced onions next time around.

I do have a "fancier" green bean casserole that I make from time to time that involves sautéing fresh green beans with madeira wine, fresh mushrooms and cream, topped with parmesan cheese and baked. It's tasty but too much work, LOL. I only make it when a certain person who loathes regular green bean casserole comes for the holidays.

I tweak the recipe that's on the back of the can of Trader Joe's fried onions. Cook frozen haricot verts until tender-crisp and blanch in ice water. Sauté garlic and fresh mushrooms in butter, add a box of TJ's portobello mushroom soup and 5 oz of whole milk, season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with a combination of buttered breadcrumbs and a can of TJ's fried onions. I think it tastes even better the next day as leftovers! I've never had the "traditional" casserole but canned green beans sounds unappetizing to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter