I got to actually make something on thanksgiving! So I always saw people eating this great thing in pictures and said hey I'm gonna make that!

I followed the recipe exactly but it tastes like nothing! Is that just how it is or did I mess up :/
Mine isn't bland. What did you put in it?

The first time our niece made the green bean casserole, she used French style green beans instead of the standard cut green beans. Because the French style are so much thinner, they did not hold up well in the casserole and it pretty much lacked in taste and looked like mush.

From years of making it, I know to add a bit more pepper and we add a bit of salt. Also, I always in more green beans then what it calls for. For me, 4 cups isn't always enough.

Canned soup, canned green beans, canned fried onions- is it any surprise it's bland? :confused3

Maybe try it with a homemade mushroom soup, fresh green beans, and real fried onions; bet that would taste great.
Or better yet, try fresh beans, sauteed in a little olive oil and salt, dressed with a small splash of balsamic vinegar and topped with toasted, sliced almonds. Great contrast to a meal that's already rich and heavy!

Which recipe did you follow exactly? The one on back of the canister of French Fried onions or the soup can? Yeah, those recipes pretty much guarantee a bland result.

Don't used canned or French cut beans. I like to add slivered almonds or small pearl onions to jazz it up a bit.

If I make a green bean casserole, I make it with celery root instead of soup. I also put bacon and mushroom in it. It taste so amazing! My kids will not eat the traditional green bean casserole. They says the traditional is so nasty that it isn't worth putting in your mouth.

Or better yet, try fresh beans, sauteed in a little olive oil and salt, dressed with a small splash of balsamic vinegar and topped with toasted, sliced almonds. Great contrast to a meal that's already rich and heavy!

One of my teen son's favorite Thanksgiving dishes is our standard green beans almondine. Fresh steamed green beans, toasted almond slivers, melted butter, and some lemon juice. He could eat mounds and mounds of these beans!

Maybe it had more to do with what else was served? Were the other dishes served more flavorful?

Had green bean casserole for the first time at my boyfriend's grandmother's home this weekend. I'm not a fan.

Although, the pork roast sure did look gross and very, very ... yeah. The things you do for the people you love, right?

I actually followed the recipe on back of the Campbell's can I dunno I thought it was a thanksgiving must have I was missing out on!

Green bean casserole...not sure how its supposed to taste, but I've never met one that made me say yum or go back for seconds, I usually eat a bit to be polite to the person who made it.

That's how I make mine, with a dash of Penzey's seasoning. I agree that the cream of mushroom soup and canned green bean casserole recipe is pretty bland and salty.

Did you use the low fat version or go for full fat soup and milk? The soy sauce should give it a little flavor as well as a little salt and pepper to the mix. Shouldn't need a lot of extra sauce though if you are using the soy sauce recipe.

I make ours with fresh green beans, never use canned or frozen vegetables in this. I "improvise" though and use some pepper and "sort of " adjust the ingredients, adding more onions. Once or twice, I even mixed the fresh green beans with fresh broccoli florets. It you use fresh, you obviously need to cook the fresh green beans and broccoli before putting in the casserole to be baked..be careful though not to "overcook" the fresh vegetables because it will be soggy.:eek: Also, after baking, I put it under the broil for a minute or two, to brown the top. My family loves this dish!:goodvibes

It's pretty generic food. Definitely not my favorite. I'd say in the best case, it's pretty bland. But, then again, I like Mexican and Indian food, and prefer those to any green bean casserole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter