Is food fancy in MDR's?

amanda12404

Mouseketeer
I probably have a silly question. My family and I are not adventurous eaters. We love filet, potatoes, Caesar salad...stuff like that. We like fish like Salmon and then maybe grilled chicken. When I look at the pictures of food it just seems fancy. My daughter wont eat meat at all and eats Peanut Butter and Jelly, mac and cheese or even buttered noodles, maybe a cheese quesadilla too. As you can see I just want to make sure there is going to be something for us to eat. I know my husband could fill up on pizza or chicken strips but I don't really want them to eat that the whole week.

Amanda

Hello! Welcome to the Disboards!

Full disclosure: I haven't gone on a DCL cruise yet. However, it is my understanding that there are non-fancy options available at all MDRs. And, if DCL is anything like the restaurants at Disney (which I'm assuming it is), even if you don't see something you like, you can probably request something simple from your servers. Although this level of service is not specific to Disney, as all cruise ships I've been on have been very accommodating to food preferences (I was once a very picky child), you can pretty much assume that Disney as an entity that caters to families is used to kids (and adults) with specific food tastes.

Do you have a cruise booked, or are you looking for information pre-booking? Regardless, you will find the answers to every question about Disney you might ever have on these boards. Enjoy!

You can request substitutions of side dishes, sauces left off, etc. They will do their best to get you something that suits your taste.

There is a section on each menu of simpler items and I believe there is a grilled chicken breast and a plain sirloin steak in the section for each dinner.

They are always able to get us Caesar Salads even though they are not on the menu.

My kids always order Caesar salad even though it's not often on menu. You can order meats without sauce or just plain salmon or chicken. They will do anything possible to make you happy. Can also order off kids menu for pizza or pasta

Anyone can order from the kids menus too! So if a big bowl of mac and cheese tickles your fancy, you can order it from the kids menu. There is also a Light Offering section on the menus that has more basic entrees that should suite your family.

On the other hand, it's a great opportunity to branch out and be adventurous! It's worth a try if something on the menu is intriguing! Our 5-year old son discovered he likes calamari, guacamole, and key lime pie recently. Never know until you try. ;)

Let your servers know...they can offer options too. Bottom line, they want you to enjoy your meal and will be accommodating.

The food isn't too fancy but most has a theme to it that is connected to the restaurant/night. There were definitely dishes that would satisfy eaters that are not adventurous or just like their meat and potatoes.

Don't worry at all! I think there is a great variety of foods and something for every taste. I wouldn't call the food overly fancy, but it is presented nicely. Many things are prepared with sauces or toppings - just ask for them on the side if you have concerns that you won't care for something or it will be too fancy. They can pretty much get you whatever you want and prepare it however you like, so don't hesitate to ask, even if you don't see it on the menu. Your servers are used to special requests and will be really accommodating! As for kids meals, they are used to serving kids and make sure they have what your child eats, even if they have to get it from the quick service areas by the pool. They'll learn your tastes and needs quickly and will be able to make recommendations for you as well. I'm sure you'll be really happy with the food. Enjoy!

They also try to plate their food nicely. Not all the food is actually "fancy". But if fancy" plates are intimidating, the links and pictures should give you an idea :thumbsup2

Believe me these boards are amazing. Everyone is so active you can get an answer within minutes. It is awesome. Thank you for the link. Yes we can definitely order from there. I really want to try new things especially since everything is included!!

The lighter selections is just what you are looking for, steak, chicken and salmon simply prepared. Lots of people love the chicken strips at the pool. Kids menus also have lots of things that picky kids and adults would like. You can mix the menus too, like a chicken dinner from the adult menu and a kids order of mac & cheese to go with it.

Peanut butter an jelly sandwiches are a little harder to find for your daughter but there are possibilities. You can get Uncrustables from room service and sometimes in the MDR. Cabanas has bread, peanut butter and jelly at different places on the buffet at breakfast to put together for a lunch later.

The presentation is fancy but there is always something that is more like home cooking even though the description on the menu is also fancy-schmancy. The chicken, steak and pork offerings seemed pretty basic but they would plate them in a lovely way to make it look special. Try something new and if you don't care for it, then order something else.

I probably have a silly question. My family and I are not adventurous eaters. We love filet, potatoes, Caesar salad...stuff like that. We like fish like Salmon and then maybe grilled chicken. When I look at the pictures of food it just seems fancy. My daughter wont eat meat at all and eats Peanut Butter and Jelly, mac and cheese or even buttered noodles, maybe a cheese quesadilla too. As you can see I just want to make sure there is going to be something for us to eat. I know my husband could fill up on pizza or chicken strips but I don't really want them to eat that the whole week.

Amanda
On our cruise last year, there was a family at a table next to us that had chicken wings every single night. I never saw chicken wings on any menu the entire time, but they must have told the server that's what they would like and through the magic of Disney they got them! My husband was a fussy eater but even he found something most nights (eg, if there was a chicken breast with sauce and veg, he would ask them to leave off the sauce and sub French fries for the veg). He also ordered from the kids menu sometimes :) truth be told though, by the end of the trip my fussy eater husband was coming out of his shell and being more adventurous, trying things he never would have at home! Something about being on vacation and seeing others enjoying their meals inspires people to be brave and try new things :) plus you have a safety net... If you don't like it they will bring you something else!
Besides, you can always skip a night or two in the MDR and head up to the buffet, something for everyone!

As someone else noted, a cruise is the perfect time to try something new. If you don't like it, your server can get you something else or you can get room service/fast food options. My 11 year old son now loves escargot since he tried it on the ship and gets it every cruise.

My 11 year old son now loves escargot since he tried it on the ship and gets it every cruise.

If he loved the escargot on DCL then he must *adore* good escargot. I'm a big fan of escargot, but the escargot on DCL was horrifically bad.

There are so many options for eating that you will likely be very happy. I did not find the food to be fancy at all. Like any restaurant, some things are better than others and they really try to please all tastes. I find that in general, Disney food is tamer than food in the real world.

One night my son ordered Mac and cheese in the MDR. Our server noticed that he wasn't eating and brought him a pizza (he liked that before and the server remembered).

I do recommend ordering water to drink first. They make an effort to remember what you like immediately, so if you order something else, you will get it every night unless you want to say otherwise.

I would not consider the food in the MDRs to be "fancy." They might aim to make most of the dishes a bit more sophisticated than a short order diner. But ultimately, they are doing banquet hall catering for a mass audience. They know they need dishes that can appeal to mass taste buds, and dishes that can be somewhat easily prepared in mass quantities, in a cost efficient manner.

I found the menus always contain a range of items.... There are always a couple of very simple items, ranging to some items that attempt to be a bit upscale. Often, the names and descriptions may sound more sophisticated than the dish actually is.

And if you ever really can't find something you like on the menu, they will cater to your requests... bring you a burger or a plain bowl of pasta, etc.

Don't forget, kids can also order off the adult menu. Steaks without sauce. Stuff like that. Ask away. You are on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter