Is food and wine getting out of hand?

DH was going to meet a friend of his at F&W this past Saturday night. His friend got there before him. DH got a call from said friend on his way down that it was basically like a frat party in Epcot, so they got a drink at the Swan instead!

We were at Epcot yesterday and didn't see any horrible drunken behavior. Our two children (ages 7 & 9) loved trying the different foods and can't wait to go back later this week. We felt the crowds were lighter around WS after 7pm then they where earlier in the day, but I know that's not the case on weekend nights. Overall it was a great day and our family loves F&W enough to spend 2 days experiencing it.

Hmm. I was just at Epcot for 3 nights, and while it was pretty darned crowded, I didn't encounter anyone puking or so drunk they were having to use a wheelchair to make it out of the park. That is assuming that is why they were in a wheelchair, and not just because they needed it to get around.

We love Epcot, and have been for F&W and F&G... was never put off by any drunks. Can't really relate to the OP. I would drink more while there, but it's not really conducive to that. It's hot, a lot of walking, a lot of waiting, and pretty darn expensive! I don't see this being a realistic way for 20-somethings to get wasted.

We love Epcot, and have been for F&W and F&G... was never put off by any drunks. Can't really relate to the OP. I would drink more while there, but it's not really conducive to that. It's hot, a lot of walking, a lot of waiting, and pretty darn expensive! I don't see this being a realistic way for 20-somethings to get wasted.

Yet some still manage it.

Last edited:

I am a young guy, around college age, and I have been going to the World since the beginning of forever. It seems, to me, that the Food and Wine Festival has gotten out of hand regarding the heightened state of intoxication amongst the patrons. To be fare, I am all for people experincing the magic in their own ways. However, I think "unruly" or "out of hand" crowds are becoming a STAPLE of the FWF. I am trying to persuade my group from going during those times. TOTALLY AGREE!

I can tell you for a fact it happens. I lived in Orlando for 18 years and it is definitely a thing that the younger crowds like to do, whether its called "Drinking around the world" or "Conquering the world one beer at a time".:drinking1 Its like a contest, heck they even have shirts for it. They usually do not arrive til later in the day at EPCOT, so they are not in the heat all day. A couple of years ago one of our friends said that he and his wife had to go pick up their son and his 3 buddies from EPCOT, they were not smashed but smart enough to know not to drive. I guess the one guy who was suppose to be the designated driver only lasted a couple of worlds:rotfl:
We have gone 4-5 times during F&W and have not seen anyone vomit but have seen our fair share of unbalanced, stupid and sometimes load patrons there. We will see them more towards the end of the night at park closing.

It's funny to me that people don't think it's an event that children would be interested in. My children have always loved the World Showcase and my daughter is thrilled that we will be at the Food and Wine festival for her 15th birthday. Maybe my kids are weirdos but they would pick something exotic to eat over chicken nuggets and burgers any day.

I am not super worried about her seeing drunk people either, it's all part of life and a good opportunity to talk about drinking responsibly. Looking forward to our first F&W and trying not to pay too much heed to the horror stories, although it might be entertaining to see someone attempt to climb the pyramid.

I can tell you for a fact it happens. I lived in Orlando for 18 years and it is definitely a thing that the younger crowds like to do, whether its called "Drinking around the world" or "Conquering the world one beer at a time".:drinking1 Its like a contest, heck they even have shirts for it. They usually do not arrive til later in the day at EPCOT, so they are not in the heat all day. A couple of years ago one of our friends said that he and his wife had to go pick up their son and his 3 buddies from EPCOT, they were not smashed but smart enough to know not to drive. I guess the one guy who was suppose to be the designated driver only lasted a couple of worlds:rotfl:
We have gone 4-5 times during F&W and have not seen anyone vomit but have seen our fair share of unbalanced, stupid and sometimes load patrons there. We will see them more towards the end of the night at park closing.

To be fair, I've seen non-intoxicated patrons vomit after rollercoasters (not in Disney, but I bet it happens). I've also seen my fair share of unbalanced, stupid and loud patrons in ALL the WDW parks at various times, even in the MK where alcohol isn't served. So yes, food and wine might contribute to some of that, but it's not exclusive to people who have been drinking or the Food and wine festival.

Huh. Since they shrunk down the beer pours this year I've never been more sober at F&W! It was so refreshing (and a little surprising) when I got a full pour at the Germany pavilion, I forgot that it was a permanent kiosk and not a F&W one :P

Personally I'm a bit over F&W after 3-4 visits in the past 7-8 years or so. My wallet certainly is :)

However, nothing made a work day more entertaining then a cranberry bog swimmer or a Mexico climber.

This made me snarf my coffee! I would definitely blow a FP+ to see this (a Mexico climber, in particular). Come on, WDW, how 'bout a special event for F&W?

To be fair, I've seen non-intoxicated patrons vomit after rollercoasters (not in Disney, but I bet it happens). I've also seen my fair share of unbalanced, stupid and loud patrons in ALL the WDW parks at various times, even in the MK where alcohol isn't served. So yes, food and wine might contribute to some of that, but it's not exclusive to people who have been drinking or the Food and wine festival.
All true, but I can tell you that groups of young adults plan to go to EPCOT just to do the drinking around the world, you cannot say the same about the other parks, so that right there increases the possibilities. The minor incidents that I mentioned WERE directly related to them having a bit to much to drink. Again; I have not seen any real bad incidents either, but the chances are much higher during F&W, but even with that said I still do not hesitate to take our family to EPCOT during F&W.

The big issue with Food and Wine is the young people who want to drink around the world (I've done it and have no problem with it) but don't care to eat around the world as well. I always tell people if there plan is to go to Epcot and drink they need to start at exactly 11 and do the countries slowly. Also every 2 alcoholic beverages should equal 1 food item at minimum. Also with the food item should be water. If people were a little more responsible with their drinking and took it slowly (they have a whole 11 hours to drink on the weekend and 10 during the week) then we wouldn't see the crazies.

Friday and Saturday nights (especially when the weather is good) are borderline out of control there. And occasionally dates like the Sunday before Columbus day, etc. It's definitely not enjoyable when it's that overcrowded, and plenty of people make a game of sneaking alcohol in to "pre game" along with drinking around the world. Those type of nights are where it gets the "drunkytown" nickname from. But it's not like that every day, but I was there the day when a drunk guest swung a pipe at a cast member and punched 2 others a few years back. Which I'll never forget -- http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...rkers-hits-another-in-face-with-pipe/22426960

I love F&W and while I've noticed some craziness, it really has not impacted my enjoyment of the event. Now if I were the one who got pushed in a bog or punched, etc. I'm sure I'd feel differently. In fact, I appreciate that Disney offers this type of event that caters more toward adults, as we are just two (no kids). That being said, everyone- adults and children, should be free to enjoy this event and if the aforementioned bad behavior is compromising anyone's safety, security, etc. it should be promptly addressed.

I've never been to F&W and probably never will. It just doesn't appeal to me... Wall to wall crowds, drunks, over priced drinks.. Ugghhhh. Not my thing.

How is the security on the weekends? Do they really beef it up? I would assume there is security everywhere for crowd control.

I would never bring a kid to F&W on a weekend night.
I'm not judging anyone because if you aren't a local and it's your first trip you may just assume a festival at Disney would be tame, even with "wine" in the name. When I think of wine I think a glass of wine with dinner, I don't think of drunken frat boys roaming everywhere you look.

If it's that bad it's only a matter of time before something awful happens... And then things will drastically change. There will be a fight that ends in a death, or someone will do something stupid because they're wasted and end up killing themselves or someone else. Or someone will die from drinking too much or even a horrible DWI crash involving a drunk leaving Epcot and taking out innocent people. Or Lord forbid a kid getting hurt badly by an unruly guest. Something is bound to happen because I can't imagine Disney's security is totally in control of this. It seems like an impossible feat.
Now this is all contingent on if things are truly as awful as we hear. I tend to believe it but, then you do have those people who jump in to say, it's not bad at all.

Last edited:
The big issue with Food and Wine is the young people who want to drink around the world (I've done it and have no problem with it) but don't care to eat around the world as well. I always tell people if there plan is to go to Epcot and drink they need to start at exactly 11 and do the countries slowly. Also every 2 alcoholic beverages should equal 1 food item at minimum. Also with the food item should be water. If people were a little more responsible with their drinking and took it slowly (they have a whole 11 hours to drink on the weekend and 10 during the week) then we wouldn't see the crazies.
This.

People always wonder, "Alex, why don't you ever get drunk?" Because I eat throughout.
tumblr_nbrtviHPRW1tlda4ko1_400.gif

That and I get tired while drinking. How am I supposed to have fun when I'm asleep? No thanks. ... Well, sleep is fun, so idk, I could deal with that.

Note: I'm 24 in case y'all were wondering.

I have been to Food and Wine a few times now and I have NEVER seen anything close to what the OP is complaining about. I mean, I am in no way saying they are not telling the truth, but it's not nearly as bad as they make it out to be and I have been there on all different days and times, including Friday and Saturday nights. Have I seen people a bit tipsy? Sure... but I have never been run into, seen anyone puking, or heard any more swearing then I have at any other park. All I have seen are people having a good time. Maybe they get a bit loud, but it IS Disney and people are loud there in general.

That said, I have seen people puke in the bushes at Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom for whatever reasons. I have heard a couple swearing at each other in Fantasyland. I have seen people try to sneak booze into the Magic Kingdom.

Also, I have stumbled and nearly fallen into bushes during Food and Wine but I don't really drink at all and had had no drinks that day. I just sometimes trip over my own feet or don't pay enough attention to where I am walking.

Finally, how do you know all these people are drunk? Maybe they are just the jerks you can find in any of the parks. Maybe they are just not feeling well (I almost pukes one day at Epcot because it was hot and I had not had enough fluids). There are a number of reasons someone may be acting "badly" that has nothing to do with how much they had to drink. Are you following them around to count how many drinks they have had?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter