• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Flight of Passage basically Soarin'?

Since FoP is so immensely popular, dont' forget to make an FP for it as soon as you can.

What is cool about fop is that there is a “wind” blowing in your face, which I think helps motion sickness. The only problem is the way pandora smells can make a slightly queasy stomach very queasy.
I think I built it up so much in my mind before riding that I was a bit disappointed too. It’s a 3D sim ride on a cool seat, and one of wdw most updated kind of rides, but it’s still a simulator ride. Not like gringotts or fj. I agree more like simpsons, but waaaay smoother. WDW did a great job with theming the land... if only that volcanic sulpher smell just wasn’t there. The land is amazing especially at night.

FoP is a simulator, but in addition to your seat being able to tilt forward, backward, and side to side, the entire platform is able to rise and fall -- which creates some realistic flying effects (such as the wings flapping up and down) that cannot be reproduced on Soarin' -- where the seats tilt but stay fixed in place throughout the film. In addition, the actions being simulated are much more intense. Soarin's movements and film are gentle and smooth in comparison.

i don't think you can compare either to Wizarding World of Harry Potter's simulators, which are simulators built on top of moving ride vehicles. Those are both quite innovative as they are, and just different kinds of rides.

Even though the majority of Universal rides are simulators in some form,their two big Potter rides are more than just simulators,Forbidden Journey is part dark ride with the unique Kuka robotic arms as your ride vehicle.Gringotts is closer to a rollercoaster/dark ride,both have some simulator/screen technology but are pretty different from FoP.FoP is simply a simulator,nothing else to it,more like Universals Back to the Future/ Simpsons ride which is a straight up simulator but with the most advanced simulator technology around.This is why FoP is a great ride but I could never put it as my favorite ride at Disney.I've ridden it around 8-9 times and it will never be as good as the first or second time you ride it.The best ride at Disney,at least for me is ToT,its great every time and doesnt grow old.
I was beginning to think I’m the only one who doesn’t think FOP is the best ride ever. I want to love it, but each time I’ve ridden it I’ve come off of it going, “eh”. I wish I could feel like I was really flying. But, nope, I just feel like I’m looking at a big screen and moving around.

I much prefer rides like TOT or Everest or Forbidden Journey where you are physically moved from set to set and I feel more immersed in them.

I think that shows why everyone needs to try things out for themselves (if they feel comfortable doing so); I loathed Forbidden Journey and would never ride again, but I'm glad I rode it because I wouldn't have believed anyone else's report of it. FJ was jerky, and was physically uncomfortable for me (and I enjoy roller coasters), I did not like the mechanics of the ride at all. FoP is truly immersive for me, completely breathtaking in a good way, and if I went to any theme park and could just ride one ride, it would be FoP, easy choice.

They are both flight simulators. FOP puts you closer to the screen and you are not truly up in the air with your legs dangling, but rather sitting on a vehicle that is supposed to feel like riding a banshee (flying lizard like creature from Avatar movies). The environment in FOP is completely fictitious (but beautiful). Soarin is based on real world locations. FOP is 3D and much more intense with simulated diving and rolling. (The film makes it feel that way, you don’t actually dive or roll).

Love them both but the good ol Soarin gets more emotion out of me.

Dan

Love Harry Potter but FoP is a lot better. I could even argue that Transformers at Universal is better than Potter too.

I’m not a HP person but I think the Hogwarts Express is my favorite. The theming and attention to detail is incredible

Love Harry Potter but FoP is a lot better. I could even argue that Transformers at Universal is better than Potter too.
Forbidden Journey and Transformers both blew me away. Didn’t have the same experience with FoP.

This thread literally gave me a nightmare last night that we went on FOP and it was exactly like soarin with none of the motion or wind or effects I have heard so much about. I woke up so sad! Going to ride it for the first time next week!

Another similarity to SoarIn is that for a significant part of the ride, the smell is basically that of Fiji in SoarIn. It lasts so long during each ride such that the whole room smells (a little bit) like that...

Last edited:
Another similarity to SoarIn is that for a significant part of the ride, the smell is basically that of Fiji in SoarIn. It lasts so long during each ride such that the whole room smells (a little bit) like that...

Agree. When I walked into the ride room for my second time on the ride, the room was full of that scent. I didn't notice it on the first ride. Maybe I did but it didn't register at the time that the smell might have been from the ride.

Soarin on Steroids.
I have to say the first time you ride it you like it and say wow. The second time I rode it I really enjoyed it much more.

I left FoP with goosebumps. Seriously. I've been on rides that have boosted my adrenaline, but few rides and attractions have ever had the impact that FoP had.

So..... no it's not basically Soarin'.

So you didn't like FOP? Ugh, for some reason I'm so nervous about FOP. Majority of people say they love it and it's not to be missed, but something tells me I should try to borrow a Xanax from someone.

I will definitely be taking a Xanax lol! I am nervous about it as well. I absolutely love Soarin', but cannot ride Star Tours, Mission:Space, etc. because of motion sickness (which I will also be taking medication for). :)

If anyone wants to comment on the motion sickness aspect, I would appreciate it. :thumbsup2

I will definitely be taking a Xanax lol! I am nervous about it as well. I absolutely love Soarin', but cannot ride Star Tours, Mission:Space, etc. because of motion sickness (which I will also be taking medication for). :)

If anyone wants to comment on the motion sickness aspect, I would appreciate it. :thumbsup2

I'm the same. Love Soarin'. But can't do Star Tours, Mission: Space, or most of the 4D rides that are the bread & butter over at Universal. Totally fine on Space, EE, and other true coasters. It's the 3D that gets me, I think. I'll ride FOP once, but it's making me a bit nervous to hear how similar it is to Simpson's. That ride was pretty bad for me... possibly because it was hot & stuffy when we rode it.

I do not ride Mission Space or Star Tours. Never tried Mission Space and Stars Tours made me really sick. Rock and Roller Coaster's first loop made me sick to my stomach. I can get a little queasy for a second on Big Thunder and wee bit on Slinky Dog. I avoided Soarin' for years because I thought I would get motion sickness.

So I went on FoP and I decided that if the "movie" went into any sequence where I felt funny, I would just close my eyes. When I close my eyes I can generally get it to stop. So I closed my eyes through about half of FoP. Once I did that and I knew what was involved with the ride, I went back on the second time and kept my eyes open. I never had one problem except maybe on one quick twist of the film. I then went on Soarin' and also didn't have an issue. And I get motion sickness pretty easy.

Rode FoP for the first time today. Imo for an adult rider it’s basically a slightly more intense soarin. Very cool looking! But not a thrill ride. Young kids might feel that’s fairly intense. While riding I was looking from side to side to take in the whole view and I could see the where screen ended and it really took me out of the experience. It’s a very cool ride but basic premise I took away is slightly instense soarin.

I'm the same. Love Soarin'. But can't do Star Tours, Mission: Space, or most of the 4D rides that are the bread & butter over at Universal. Totally fine on Space, EE, and other true coasters. It's the 3D that gets me, I think. I'll ride FOP once, but it's making me a bit nervous to hear how similar it is to Simpson's. That ride was pretty bad for me... possibly because it was hot & stuffy when we rode it.

Simpsons at Universal almost did my husband in for the rest of the day, many of the other Universal simulators made him ill but that one was terrible. He can only ride Star Tours once and is a bit ill after, he has only done MS Green and is OK, FOP gave him zero issues, we have ridden about 5 times and never once has he mentioned getting even a little sick. I don't get motion sick at all but I don't think FOP is similar to Simpsons at all, it is so much more immersive and the motion timed with the screen so well, which is not the case at all with the Simpsons ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter