• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is every DLR guest equal?

I understand. Sadly, I will at least rival you. Yes, I enjoy Disneyland, and my time there is my stress relief. Like a lot of people, I am an AP holder, but I don't live local. But I have a lot of local friends too. And like it is across the board, you have those who are spending money, and those who don't. We give advice to many on here how to save money on meals, how to split meals, how to order from Vons, where you can cook in your room, etc... And where to find the cheapest tickets. We help with the member who wants to know how they can get by on $100-$150 for food for their family a day. But like you, that doesn't mean we all do it. I have friends who come to the park for the day, they eat at least 1 sit down meal in the park (let's say $80 for the family of 4), ice cream is the norm for a snack ($20), a larger snack in place of a meal ($50), so $150 for the day for a 1 day drive over, not counting the price of their 4 premier APs. When they join us in late June, they will be getting a room at the DLH even though they only live an hour away.

I do think people discount the amount APs spend in the park. But regardless of that, we all pay the entry fee, so all deserve to be treated equally, and also realize what we paid for is entry and neither APs or tourists "own" the park (I do think APs sometimes give the feeling they own it.)

I am also an AP holder (though we took a break from being AP holders for a few years and then when I went to upgrade my 3 day hoppers to an AP this time I got a shock at how much the cost has gone up over the last 3 years) but I am also not a local as we live about a 5 hour drive away and certainly can't make it a day trip or swing by after work on Wednesday.

We tend to do the big trip and spend a fortune, just like any other tourist, then upgrade our tix on the last day so we can do smaller less expensive additional trips that year. As a family of 2 we spend less than a family of 4 for sure but we easily also spend about 5000 a year directly to Disney across all of our trips. That means Disney gets more of my money as a family of 2 AP holders than would if we just did the one big trip. They know that and Yeah are happy to come up with a plan that get us to come more often and spend more money. And where I live a lot of people are AP holders and do just 3-4 trips a year and spend closer to 10,000 for a family of four.

I also know locals that have the most expensive AP and still stay at the GC a few times a year, especially to celebrate special events like birthdays and anniversaries and such. Those families are spending...I don't even want to know.

So at the end of the day a lot of people spend a lot of money, some more, some less but the bigger picture is that there are a lot of different kinds of guests and Disney want all of them and is willing to get creative to bring all of them back.

But I think that APs get people to spend more than they might have otherwise and Disney knows that. I think the cost of the AP is going up by a lot every year and Disney is working to make those that would buy them feel like they are getting more for that higher cost so they must see th alum in these guests.

Are we all equal to Disney, of course. They wouldn't kick any of us out of bed for eating crackers. They are a business and alienating any customer is bad for business. Do you get a more magical experience when you spend more money...well you sometime get what you pay for and sometimes you don't. That life.

I would be willing to bet that many once-a-year out of town guests spent more on their visit than I did during 1 year as an AP. My premium AP was under $400. We lived 10 minutes away. Parking was included in our pass. We went once a week or more. But we didn't always eat in the parks. Not even close. And we didn't buy much merchandise either. We never stayed at any of the hotels. We stay off-site not when we visit (from 1500 miles away) so we still aren't forking over THAT much money to Disney. But it's certainly a bigger expense in one quick swoop.

Locals have a clear advantage in terms of knowing alternate channels and methods of enjoying Disneyland.

Last edited:

What I would like to see is Disney treating all guests the same year round, they charge us the same year round and yet some months have shorter hours, less meet and greets and more closures.
They no longer charge day guests the same. Based on the time you travel you may pay MORE. Honestly I get more out of trip during slower times with shorter hours then during busier times times with longer hours.

They no longer charge day guests the same. Based on the time you travel you may pay MORE. Honestly I get more out of trip during slower times with shorter hours then during busier times times with longer hours.

For one day tickets only.
You may ride more but you don't have the opportunity to see F!, fireworks etc

This whole thread cracks me up and is a result of this politically correct, but I deserve it and when's my early release world we live in. Life is not fair, some people have more and some people get treated different -- it's called life. If we don't like our lot in life it is up to us to change it. If you think locals get better treatment move to California. If you want early entry every morning stay on site, if you want to save money stay offsite. Point is it's all our choice on how we individually choose to live our lives. (I often think I'd like to live on the beaches of Hawaii fyi)

The last thing on my mind when I'm in the park is how much someone next to me did or didn't pay to get in, spend while they were there, or what they ate for breakfast. I'm having too much fun enjoying myself. Do I hate the crowds -- heck yes, but I'd rather think of it as how lucky we all are to enjoy our vacation instead of thinking that just because I paid "X" I DESERVE something more than the next person. Would some people die if they knew how much we have dropped at Disney over the years -- yes, but that's a choice we made, it doesn't entitle me to anything different than someone who is just there for the day and only paid for entry. Do I realize others next to me might have it better or not have to wait in line because they are someone important, yup, and I think good for them.

The only time I have really listened to anyone in line was our last trip waiting to get in. There were some guests in front of us, by their conversation I knew it was someone who is a frequent poster/adviser on this site. I smiled to myself because I thought "I know who you are from reading your posts".......I listened as he explained to his guests that he is "comp'd" a certain number of tickets each year and that was what they would be using and what those tickets did and did not include. I didn't think to myself .... well I had to pay to get in and you didn't........I thought what a cool job and life it must be if you are able to spend so much time and energy that this can be a job or side job with a benefit of free passes to Disney. I also thought about how grateful I was to the experts for all I have learned from reading this site because it has enhanced our trips.

Everybody just needs to be happy, there are many families that would just love to be able to spend a vacation anywhere..............a Disney vacation is not something that is owed to us or deserved, it is something we should feel lucky that we get to enjoy.

It is what it is, At the gate your all equal as it should be really. Locals don't bother me unless they are being obnoxious, but nonlocals have that same capability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter