Is every DLR guest equal?

What on earth is a local anyway? Sounds like some nebulous term that could have a million different definitions.
I define a local as someone who can drive to the park, spend the day at the park, then drive home all in one day.

Ymmv.

MG

I don't think Disney adds to this at all. I think your experience with this will depend on your attitude and the attitudes of the people you come into contact with. If you're going with a chip on your shoulder, I'm sure you will find attitudes to support your belief. If you happen to interact with people with this attitude, then you'll see it. But, if you go into your vacation expecting magic and to have a good time, chances are, you'll have a great time.

From my husbands point of view, we are spending a lot of money, and crowds suck. He deems it not worth it in that case. I hate the park when it's really crowded, so we are going to do our best to be there at the crack of dawn and take advantage of the early entry. But it has nothing to do with "Who" is there, or where they came from, or what they spent. Most people research and research, and choose the best time for them to visit. Ours happened to be during Grad, however I didn't know they are in park all day until after booking. So we will make the best of it. From what I see the park is just over crowded these days all the time, and Disney doesn't care. All I know is watch out for my double stroller. You cut me off and I will be one mad mama.

Lol!!! Yes, as far as Disney is concerned. The cast members working the park, or the cm servers at the restaurants will never know.

That said, there is (I believe) a hierarchy rank amongst the patrons.... If you can figure it out. I know there is at WDW, as many of us have discussed this.

MG

Huh? People discuss this? Where?

Care to explain this "heirarchy" at WDW. I assume you mean guests staying at the Grand Floridian get better treatment in the parks from other guests than guests at the Values? Where do I sign up for that??? I have stayed at all levels of the WDW hotels over a space of 30 years and have never been treated differently...

I think everyone is basically equal no matter what they spend. And you'll have "bad eggs" in every type of group - locals, kids, adults, teens, vacationers, etc.

I do wish they would cut back on the amount of grad nights though. And go back to actual grad NIGHTS instead of all-day events.

Should they be considered equal? The answer is yes.

Disney offers discounts and payment plans to locals to increase business. I know there are other theme parks who do the incentives for locals thing.

The problem that most people have, and take it out on each other unnecessarily, is that Disney is *the most popular* and, therefore, always crowded.

It's expensive to travel to other places, too, not just Anaheim and Orlando. I've probably spent more going to Denver to see my beloved Broncos (You want an expensive ticket? Look no further than NFL game tickets!) than any other trip I've ever taken!

I have to admit, though, I have actually seen a local say on this very board that Disneyland is their home and anyone coming from out of town was just visiting, lol.

Attitudes like that breed the resentment. Disneyland is there for everyone to share and enjoy, not just locals, not just out of towners, etc.

Let's hope for their sake that the person who said that was joking and that the humorous tone just didn't translate online. Otherwise it really would be sad.

They were not joking and they got a bit piled on for that comment.

What on earth is a local anyway? Sounds like some nebulous term that could have a million different definitions.
I guess anybody who lives in the greater LA area, close enough that they can take advantage of the SoCal pass and/or take frequent day trips without staying overnight, because they live close enough to drive in for day trips. :confused3

I have to admit, though, I have actually seen a local say on this very board that Disneyland is their home and anyone coming from out of town was just visiting, lol.

Attitudes like that breed the resentment. Disneyland is there for everyone to share and enjoy, not just locals, not just out of towners, etc.
One comment, as opposed to the 5 comments this week already on this board complaining about locals. Not to mention the comments in this thread and the grad nite thread about those groups. Personally, I get a little tired of seeing the argument that locals don't spend as much (which, again, happened just this week). This board is full of people offering suggestions on how to eat for less or bring food, souvenirs to buy elsewhere, where to stay off site and flying vs. driving, and Disney gets none of that revenue. Over the course of the year, I promise that I eat more times in the park than another guest does in 5 days. And Disney clearly finds value in offering tickets and APs with certain blockout dates to get people into the park to fill the gaps. If not for locals the parks would not be open year round or 7 days per week because the tourism traffic alone wouldn't generate enough revenue. How do I know that? Because Disneyland wasn't even open 7 days per week until shortly after they started offering annual passes.

In general, I find it kind of funny that people are saying things like Disney should stop selling group tickets because it makes the park too crowded for their family of 3 or 4. What business is going to turn down guaranteed revenue from the group for potential to fill that same space with individuals or several smaller groups. Get rid of _______ or I'm not coming back isn't going to work with Disney on this. The parks are busier than ever. There are plenty of people willing to take the place of everyone who wants to complain about groups and locals.

One comment, as opposed to the 5 comments this week already on this board complaining about locals. Not to mention the comments in this thread and the grad nite thread about those groups. Personally, I get a little tired of seeing the argument that locals don't spend as much (which, again, happened just this week). This board is full of people offering suggestions on how to eat for less or bring food, souvenirs to buy elsewhere, where to stay off site and flying vs. driving, and Disney gets none of that revenue. Over the course of the year, I promise that I eat more times in the park than another guest does in 5 days. And Disney clearly finds value in offering tickets and APs with certain blockout dates to get people into the park to fill the gaps. If not for locals the parks would not be open year round or 7 days per week because the tourism traffic alone wouldn't generate enough revenue. How do I know that? Because Disneyland wasn't even open 7 days per week until shortly after they started offering annual passes.

In general, I find it kind of funny that people are saying things like Disney should stop selling group tickets because it makes the park too crowded for their family of 3 or 4. What business is going to turn down guaranteed revenue from the group for potential to fill that same space with individuals or several smaller groups. Get rid of _______ or I'm not coming back isn't going to work with Disney on this. The parks are busier than ever. There are plenty of people willing to take the place of everyone who wants to complain about groups and locals.

Exactly! I actually think DLR gets MOST of its revenue from AP locals. I keep my parking tickets every year, to keep track of how many times I go. I am at the 11 month mark and I have 47 parking tickets. I buy food (and usually some merchandise) EVERY time I go. I would probably faint if I actually added up how much $$$$ my family has spent so far this year at DLR (there are 4 of us), but I guarantee you it is WAY more than the average family who visits for a week. Our APs alone cost $3000...we live 15 miles away and it is our family's main entertainment. Disney knows that there are hundreds of thousands of people like us so why wouldn't they treat us like gold?

I'm not making any of those comments, thanks, I was sharing something ridiculous I saw one time and stated it as so.

You're overly defensive and I haven't enjoyed our interactions in the past, so please leave me out of it.

Exactly! I actually think DLR gets MOST of its revenue from AP locals. I keep my parking tickets every year, to keep track of how many times I go. I am at the 11 month mark and I have 47 parking tickets. I buy food (and usually some merchandise) EVERY time I go. I would probably faint if I actually added up how much $$$$ my family has spent so far this year at DLR (there are 4 of us), but I guarantee you it is WAY more than the average family who visits for a week. Our APs alone cost $3000...we live 15 miles away and it is our family's main entertainment. Disney knows that there are hundreds of thousands of people like us so why wouldn't they treat us like gold?

I just want to point out that between park tickets, a stay at the DLH, and food/merchandise purchases, our family just dropped close to $5k on a five-day-stay. (This does not include airfare, it is all money that was spent directly with Disney.) I certainly don't disagree that AP locals are a valuable source of revenue for Disney, but that's a chunk of change. They probably made as much off of us in 5 days as they make off a family of AP holders in a year. So I'm not sure I agree that Disney is making most of it's money from AP's, although again, I'm sure it's substantial.

When I had an AP 10 years ago, we certainly weren't treated like gold. Are the APs treated that way now? I'm not sure since I don't have one anymore. I do see they get a lot of special events and stuff that I don't think existed when I had a pass. Of course, my premium AP was under $400 at that time.

I do think that yes, some AP holders are dropping a LOT of money each year. But there are tons of once-a-year type visitors who probably drop even more money in a shorter amount of time (not us though because we aren't wealthy...ha!) I think it really just depends on the people.

And I think attitudes and whatnot of guests varies a lot. Some AP holders are fantastic people. Some are jerks. Same goes for out-of-town visitors.

Well, I can say from my experiences that guests are treated differently based on their type of ticket at the entry point. When I was an AP holder, I was treated like family. CMs made small-talk with me and my kids were always referred to by character references. This past year, we dropped our APs, but I have taken 3 1-day trips, one with each of my children. The CMs at the entry points were kind of rude comparatively (still very nice, but it was different). They made a point of telling us all the rules and weren't as sociable.

In terms of APs, grad nite tickets, day-trippers, and long vacationers, I do think there are differences because of the nature of DL. It's been a "locals" attraction (I define that as people who can drive there in less than 3 hours) for a long time and that history does show itself. WDW is more pushed for long-term vacationers because it's a comprehensive package and there's simply more space for tourists. CMs, once you're in the park, don't really know who you are unless you're presenting your AP for a discount, so it doesn't matter so much at that point unless an AP'er strikes up a conversation. And please, for the love of God, I'm almost certain grad niters fall at the bottom of the food chain despite what it may look like on the outside. As someone who has worked grad nites at other amusement parks, I'm pretty sure no one really likes those ticket holders except the grads themselves. But, it's not like anyone has a choice.

Anyway, yes, it's more expensive overall to come as a tourist with hotel costs and everything, but to me it's a choice you make knowing tourism in general is pricey. When I travel to WDW or other out of town/out of state attractions, I've noticed similar issues, but then, I'm a tourist. It happens. I'll tell you, I've worked at 2 non-Disney amusement parks and the same hierarchy goes for them.

EDITED to add that as someone with experience in this sector at other amusement parks, I can say with little doubt that the majority of revenue at most parks is AP holder or day-visitor revenue in the form of food and merchandise. Ticket costs typically are mostly allocated to paying for the permits required for rides and attractions (at least at the parks I worked at), so the actual net revenue ends up being lower than you'd expect.

Last edited:

Care to explain this "heirarchy" at WDW. I assume you mean guests staying at the Grand Floridian get better treatment in the parks from other guests than guests at the Values? Where do I sign up for that??? I have stayed at all levels of the WDW hotels over a space of 30 years and have never been treated differently...

Well, it's fairly simple. Sit at the bar at GF and hear people poo-poo All Stars. Certainly not a major topic of discussion, but it has happened.
I was also in line for beer in Epcot and the guy behind me started putting me down for traveling to WDW for F&W. He thought he was superior because he was a local. It didn't make sense, but it did happen.

MG

I just want to point out that between park tickets, a stay at the DLH, and food/merchandise purchases, our family just dropped close to $5k on a five-day-stay. (This does not include airfare, it is all money that was spent directly with Disney.) I certainly don't disagree that AP locals are a valuable source of revenue for Disney, but that's a chunk of change. They probably made as much off of us in 5 days as they make off a family of AP holders in a year. So I'm not sure I agree that Disney is making most of it's money from AP's, although again, I'm sure it's substantial.
Oh man, you are going to seriously make me count all my receipts?? I am going for 4 days in late June, with 3 adult kids (all APs). (This will be our 7th trip this calendar year, plus one solo trip.) I REALLY don't want to tally my receipts. I will for this thread. But I don't want to know what I spend. My head hurts thinking of it.

Oh man, you are going to seriously make me count all my receipts?? I am going for 4 days in late June, with 3 adult kids (all APs). (This will be our 7th trip this calendar year, plus one solo trip.) I REALLY don't want to tally my receipts. I will for this thread. But I don't want to know what I spend. My head hurts thinking of it.
Really, that's not what I was intending at all. I'm not trying to turn it into a "who spent more" sort of pissing match, honestly. I was just trying to make the point that if what our family spent is at all common, then you can't discount people who are coming in from out of town as a legitimate source of revenue. It could be that our family was on the high end of Disney visitors, but it may also be that your family is on the high end of AP holders. I don't know, but given that we're both all, "I have spent THIS MUCH at Disney this year!!!!" it seems probable :). Also, my thought was that while you've spent your money over the course of 47 days in the park, we spent ours in only 5. I'm not trying to imply that we are somehow more valuable than you, I'm just making the case that AP holders do not necessarily keep Disneyland afloat independent of out-of-town visitors.

Edited to add: I just realized you are not the person I was originally responding to, so scratch the 47 days comment. If you've spent more than $1,000 a day in 7 days, I bow down to you. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter