Is DVC right for an every other or every 3rd year Disney trip?

I've often thought why not just sell the extra points you have. Is there a reliable wholesaler who will purchase the extra pts you don't need so you can go every three years?

If you are thinking "renting points", you don't "sell" them to a wholesaler. You make a reservation for a non-member through a broker who finds the person wanting a DVC vacation. The broker acts as the middleman, handling the funds and contacting both parties when needed.

You can't just "sell" your left over points. You have to either make a reservation and sell that or transfer the points to another member. You get one transfer per UY.

I'll reply since we were in a similar place when buying in. We are a family of 6. We like to go to WDW eoy. We purchased 200 points resale SSR about 3 years ago. So far it's worked out well for us. We have done well banking and borrowing. We just took a 9 night vacation over Thanksgiving. We usually only stay for a week, but we were able to splurge this time. We knew with busy school schedules and the eoy would work best for us. 200 points works well for us to be able to book 2 bdrm villas. We also tend to go in higher point times, like spring break. I will add that we bought slightly higher than we needed (by about 20 points), because DH and I wanted to be able to get away for a long weekend every 4 years as well. We've done that as well and it was great.:)

I'm not sure I would want to make the 30 year plus commitment to Disney vacations if I had 4 young children. (Obviously, I know nothing about your financial situation, but I do know kids are expensive and schedules can be difficult to coordinate).

In addition to the up front purchase price, there will be the annual dues. I'd rather pay a bit more and either rent a DVC reservation, stay off site in a 3 or 4 bedroom home with a pool, or stay in one of the Family suites. Without a DVC contract, you won't be in a "use it or lose it" situation every other year.

Good luck with your decision.

P.S. Renting out surplus points is not as easy as some here would have you think.

We have 2 kids and DH and I. We got 170 points which we use every other year to stay in a 1 bedroom at BC around April school break. When the kids move on as one is now in college and the other in high school, we plan to switch to go every year and staying at a studio. So every other year definitely works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter