Is DVC right for an every other or every 3rd year Disney trip?

w84no1

Sith Lord
I am thinking about a DVC resale in the next year, but I wanted to know if it would be right for me. We are a family of 5 with a 6th on the way::yes:: It is me, DW, DS(7), DD(5), DD(just turned 3 Sunday), and DD(Due here in March). We live 12 hours away and drive to Disney when we go.

Pretty much that means I will need at least a two bedroom for every stay from now on. Because of the kids school schedule, our trips would be the full week before Christmas(preferred), the week of Thanksgiving, or maybe late summer(only as a last resort!). This year we stayed December 14 - 23 at Port Orleans Riverside with free dining since my DD was 2 at the time. Now that she is 3 and counts towards room occupancy ;), our options have changed.

We don't want to go to Disney every year, but maybe every other and sometimes it might even be every 3rd year.
  1. Is DVC right for this type of use?
  2. How many points would you recommend so that we could get a 2 bedroom for at least 7 nights during those times?
  3. Would you consider 2 studios if a 2 bedroom wasn't available?

Thanks for the help!

Every other year is a workable plan. If you are planning for every 3rd year, you run the risk of wasting points if you are not careful.

What resorts are you interested in? I would look at the point charts figure how many points you'd need for your 2 BR during you desired travel periods and half it ((for every other year travel.)

I too will need a 2 BR for my family more often than not. I bought this past summer, 200 BCV points. Seemed like a good starting point for us. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

ETA 2 studios is NOT a workable plan with small kids, not unless you & your spouse want to split up at night. Studios NEVER connect to each other, will often be quite far from each other is that is all that is available at checkin.

I am thinking about a DVC resale in the next year, but I wanted to know if it would be right for me. We are a family of 5 with a 6th on the way::yes:: It is me, DW, DS(7), DD(5), DD(just turned 3 Sunday), and DD(Due here in March). We live 12 hours away and drive to Disney when we go.

Pretty much that means I will need at least a two bedroom for every stay from now on. Because of the kids school schedule, our trips would be the full week before Christmas(preferred), the week of Thanksgiving, or maybe late summer(only as a last resort!). This year we stayed December 14 - 23 at Port Orleans Riverside with free dining since my DD was 2 at the time. Now that she is 3 and counts towards room occupancy ;), our options have changed.

We don't want to go to Disney every year, but maybe every other and sometimes it might even be every 3rd year.
  2. How many points would you recommend so that we could get a 2 bedroom for at least 7 nights during those times?

Thanks for the help!

Though not a owner yet, I have been considering an wieghting the options. So here are my answers to your questions.

1. Going Every other year is one way to buy fewer points and be able to get the size room you need, by Banking or Borrowing points. If you go every 3yrs you really have to do alot of planning to keep track of your Banking & Borrowing.

2. Based on your time of year, (using 14-23 dates) 232 points at OKW to 387 points at BLT for a 2BR. So if you go every other year you would only need 116 to 194 points, but since they don't sell weird number like that contracts of 120 or 200 would be what you would be looking to get.

3. If you go with 2 studios you would spend less points but then you have to go to great lenghts at booking & check-in to make sure you get 2 room next to or across from the other. Plus with a Studio you don't get a Full Kitchen or the Washer/Dryer.

We were a family of 5 when we bought :) We also thought we were going to go EOY with maybe grand reunions once in a while - so we budgeted enough points for a 1 BR EOY, with enough points for a GV if I pooled 3 yrs worth of points (by banking, borrowing).

Points depend on the season, unit size AND resort. Since you mentioned you go a week before Christmas, that would normally be Choice Season (2nd cheapest points). The first week of December will be the lowest points, but Thanksgiving/Christmas will be high points. So maybe pick points enough in the middle (Dream Season).

2BR points vary between SSR, OKW, AKV and BLT - and the points discrepancy are huge! So you're going to have to decide where you want to stay, and stay often.

BLT for example requires about 430 pts (I used Dream season since it averages Adventure, Choice, Dream, Magic and Prime pretty well, IMO). But SSR/OKW only requires 269. At EOY, that would be 135 or 215. Pretty wild range!

Until your infant is 3, you can still do a 1BR (which is what we do now). After that, you'd have to do 2 BRs.

Note also that while you think right now, you'd do EOY, it's been known that DVC changes vacation habits. We've been vacationing to Disney (we alternate between WDW, DLR, DCL) every year since we got DVC :)

Good thing we can add-on without much hassle! We started with 170 pts (BLT). I've been surprised at how much I was able to stretch our points (going off-season and only Sundays-Thursdays, not the whole week). But I'm definitely feeling addonitis recently :rotfl:

IMO, it would only make sense if it's at least EOY. E3Y and more? You might be better off renting from owners. You still pay MFs every year even if you don't use up points.

I considered DVC too. In the end for us we are just too far away. But I also found a lot of other negatives. Sure you can stay at WDW for just a few points a night, but what about something beside a Disney themed hotel...well there you are pretty much on your own even though they say you can use points to go all over the world. In reality the point costs are so high per person this is not in your budget. Also certain DVC resorts are popular and hard to book at peak times, well you better have a second and third choice too if your first choice isn't vacant.
Also in the end it is just another time share condo. If I was to buy a vacation home I would do just that. You can buy at the World Quest Resort which is 5 minutes from Downtown Disney. There are great apps like air b&b that help you rent out your place when you are not there.

Thanks for all the replies.

Every other year would be the plan, but things come up and I just want to make sure that it is a viable option.

Good point about studios not having washer and Dryers, I forgot about that.

I was looking at 150 - 170 points. I guess the next step is to pick a resort, then reevaluate the points need.

Until your infant is 3, you can still do a 1BR (which is what we do now). After that, you'd have to do 2 BRs.
Is that true for all DVC 1BRs? I see some that list sleeps 4 and some that say sleeps 5. We would be 5 + infant.

I considered DVC too. In the end for us we are just too far away. But I also found a lot of other negatives. Sure you can stay at WDW for just a few points a night, but what about something beside a Disney themed hotel...well there you are pretty much on your own even though they say you can use points to go all over the world. In reality the point costs are so high per person this is not in your budget. Also certain DVC resorts are popular and hard to book at peak times, well you better have a second and third choice too if your first choice isn't vacant.
Also in the end it is just another time share condo. If I was to buy a vacation home I would do just that. You can buy at the World Quest Resort which is 5 minutes from Downtown Disney. There are great apps like air b&b that help you rent out your place when you are not there.

Good points, but I already own another timeshare for outside of the WORLD. If I didn't, the vacation home would be an option.

These are the types of responses I was hoping for. I love this community!!!

w84no1 said:
Is that true for all DVC 1BRs? I see some that list sleeps 4 and some that say sleeps 5. We would be 5 + infant.

Until the baby turns 3, you would only fit in a 1 BR at the resorts with an extra sleeper chair; OKW,AKV & BLT.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

Thanks for all the replies.

Every other year would be the plan, but things come up and I just want to make sure that it is a viable option.

Good point about studios not having washer and Dryers, I forgot about that.

I was looking at 150 - 170 points. I guess the next step is to pick a resort, then reevaluate the points need.

Every other year...150-170 points is good. OKW is the largest DVC villas and would be great for your family and they are one of the cheapest resales out there. Another idea is Hilton Head...also cheap resales and if you can't do a WDW trip one year you could do a nice little beach trip (save money by not getting park tickets and dining plan). We own at both resorts. Also keep in mind that if you can't go and you have points that need to be used, you can rent them out. As far as a 1BR...they will ALL allow 5 but only some sleep 5 (you can bring an airbed for the places that don't sleep 5). We have 3 kids and did a 1BR for years. They are teens now and so we do a 2BR.

Until the baby turns 3, you would only fit in a 1 BR at the resorts with an extra sleeper chair; OKW,AKV & BLT.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

I don't know about fitting, but you will be able to book it. All 1BRs will allow 5 + infant under 3. For those that have no extra sleeper chair, you'd have to provide bedding for 1 of your five.

Yup, they will all allow 5 + infant even those that say sleeps 4. I think this is only if you book points. CRO I think enforces the sleeps X rule.

I have a BCV and BWV reservation for our party of 5 +1 under 3.

Our kids are small, when on a 1 BR, what normally happens is that the girls sleep with mommy on the king size bed. Daddy sleeps with the 4yr old in the sofa sleeper, and the infant in the crib/playpen.

When my DS was younger, they will just put a comforter on the floor and "camp" out :) I think hubby was scared more of DS falling without bed rails.

ETA: I just noticed our kids have the same age gaps! 2013 is our "even" year (ages 2, 4, 6, 8)

I don't know about fitting, but you will be able to book it. All 1BRs will allow 5 + infant under 3. For those that have no extra sleeper chair, you'd have to provide bedding for 1 of your five.

Yup, they will all allow 5 + infant even those that say sleeps 4. I think this is only if you book points. CRO I think enforces the sleeps X rule....

No, the one bedroom villas that officially sleep four (VWL, BCV, BWV, SSR) will allow a fifth person, whether an infant or someone aged three or older. Not someone aged three or older AND an infant. You cannot have six in the older DVC one bedrooms that officially sleep four.

Studios never connect to each other and sometimes they are not even near each other. If you did book two studios, the parents would have to split up for the entire vacation and one sleep in one studio with two kids and the other in the other studio with two kids.

No, the one bedroom villas that officially sleep four (VWL, BCV, BWV, SSR) will allow a fifth person, whether an infant or someone aged three or older. Not someone aged three or older AND an infant. You cannot have six in the older DVC one bedrooms that officially sleep four.

My current bookings beg to differ. I have a reservation for 1BR @ BCV and BWV for June for 5 people + 1 infant under 3.

The system definitely let me do it. And MS as well since I've had to modify both.

i-HGCrGzm-S.png

:) I understand that people like to own their own points. Dh and I have 210 at AKV. But if I had four children I would start out renting a reservation through David's rentals. That way you are getting a great 2 bedroom without having to worry about managing your own points. Rent points usually range from $10-13. David charges a little more because he is brokering the reservation for you. He is the only person I would trust outside of one DVC friend I have to rent points from....he is a frequent poster here and is a DIS sponsor.

It just seems that families of 5 and 6 could get into problems of school events, different kids occupied with different sports at different time of year...potential for an illness (goodness forbid). Once they were all in school and more regimented I would purchase points.

I would have already rented from David 2-3 times and would know which resort I wanted and could better tell if my trips were going to increase or decrease. You are treated the same whether you own or rent.

My brother has five children (ages 4-19) and this is what I would tell him after doing much research and owning for a while.

:) I understand that people like to own their own points. Dh and I have 210 at AKV. But if I had four children I would start out renting a reservation through David's rentals. That way you are getting a great 2 bedroom without having to worry about managing your own points. Rent points usually range from $10-13. David charges a little more because he is brokering the reservation for you. He is the only person I would trust outside of one DVC friend I have to rent points from....he is a frequent poster here and is a DIS sponsor.

It just seems that families of 5 and 6 could get into problems of school events, different kids occupied with different sports at different time of year...potential for an illness (goodness forbid). Once they were all in school and more regimented I would purchase points.

I would have already rented from David 2-3 times and would know which resort I wanted and could better tell if my trips were going to increase or decrease. You are treated the same whether you own or rent.

My brother has five children (ages 4-19) and this is what I would tell him after doing much research and owning for a while.

"School events, different kids occupied with different sports at different time of year...potential for an illness (goodness forbid)" are kid problems at any age and any size. My brother, SIL has 1 child and she has more activities than all of my kids combined.

Renting requires essentially double the MFs. You would also lose out on all the other DVC perks (I know that they can be taken away): the PAP savings for a family of 6 , the discount on TiW card, etc. I'm not saying buy for those, but if you know your family is vacationing EY or EOY, I don't see why you'd commit to paying more short-term? Only reason to do this, IMO, is if you're NOT sure you'd want to go EY/EOY or you see reasons why you wouldn't (too far, you don't really like to go to WDW, etc).

To each his own - but I think the more you are bound by the kids' schedules, the more control you actually need on your vacation because you are NOT as flexible. You can't just leave the fate of your vacation to the possibility that some owner is giving up their Christmas week or Summer week or Spring break. I'm also hoping that years of memories of family vacations will instill in my kids the value of family time and growing up they will treasure those moments. Not necessarily just Disney - but I am hoping that when my kids grow up, I can still get a week from them... instead of them hoping to stay/hang-out with their friends.

A lot of people waited a while before purchasing and a lot of them said "I wish we did it sooner". I guess there are case studies for all scenarios.

My current bookings beg to differ. I have a reservation for 1BR @ BCV and BWV for June for 5 people + 1 infant under 3.

The system definitely let me do it. And MS as well since I've had to modify both.

i-HGCrGzm-S.png
Disney is nothing if not inconsistent but the 5 only for those resorts that officially sleep 4 is supposed to be the way it's enforced. I wouldn't count on this option continuing.

Thanks for the help!
I think points for EOY in a 2 BR is a good choice for you as posted assuming you can afford to pay cash for it. As for how many points, I'd say somewhere in the 200 a year range depending on your anticipated travel time. In this situation I'm OK with you under buying as you'll have options to supplement the points if you need more. I'd also suggest the least expensive long term option that will get you what you want at 11 months out, that's normally SSR but could be AKV or OKW in some cases.

Disney is nothing if not inconsistent but the 5 only for those resorts that officially sleep 4 is supposed to be the way it's enforced. I wouldn't count on this option continuing.
Either this was a bug in their system, or it's a valid booking. It's easy to enforce, just don't allow your system to book it. It's not like we're sneaking anyone in.

I was surprised myself that this went thru after everything I read here at DIS. Once they allow the booking, they can't "enforce" it during check-in. They can't turn us away or force us into a 2BR if they allowed a reservation. Now, upgrading to a 2BR for no extra points, I'd gladly take! :)

In the old way, with MS doing all the booking, the rules are subject to the MS doing the reservation for you. The system could be allowing it, but if the MS won't even try because its against the rules, then that might be what's happening.

With online reservations, we are having direct access to the system and its rules. So to me, either this is a bug in the system - or it has always been this way and MS was inconsistently saying otherwise.

I only have 1.5 more years to do this anyway. By 2014, we definitely need a 2BR. So if it is a bug, I might not care by the time they fix it! :lmao:

We just bought 160 pts for plans to use every other or every 3rd year to wdw or aulani. The rest of the time we will use pt's here and there at VGC for 1-3 night stays. I just don't foresee us taking a Disney wdw or aulani vacation more than every 2-3 years so could not justify buying any more points. We are so excited to be staying at the grand a few times a year though!

Note also that while you think right now, you'd do EOY, it's been known that DVC changes vacation habits. We've been vacationing to Disney (we alternate between WDW, DLR, DCL) every year since we got DVC :)

:rotfl2: That was us too. We only bought 100 pts thinking we will just vacation every other year. Well since we purchased DVC we have gone at least once if not twice a year and have added on twice now.

I've often thought why not just sell the extra points you have. Is there a reliable wholesaler who will purchase the extra pts you don't need so you can go every three years?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!