Is DVC really worth it?

They haven't in the past. I usually just hie myself down to the lobby and ask for some or ask if I see a cart in the hallway. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? I'd pay for it if they did - not a big deal. Heck, you could always grab some from the pool. They'll get back to the pool area - they have those stripes, after all.

DVC also asks members not to take the pool towels to use in their villas. It takes more the wash the pool towels (all the sunscreen and stuff), so it costs members more.

For us it currently is not worth it, but it is because how we vacation and the stage of life we are in. (Personally I think it would be great, but it isn't in the best interest of my family at this point in time.) Although we have gone the past two years and have plans to go next year (we go between 7-10 days and have considered a 14 day trip), I can't guarantee this trend will continue. (And we will not go more than once per year, so AP's don't help cut costs.) Our kids are 2 and 4, but I can see dh getting Disney'd out as he isn't thrilled to be going to WDW next year (it is a family reunion of sorts) and we have discovered DCL this year which is not a good use of points. We live in Illinois (2 1/2-hrs from an urban airport), so transportation costs can be an issue. We are happy in a value or moderate resort. When I go to a hotel I like it to feel like a hotel, not a condo or apartment. I also like the more "in your face" Disney theming at the resorts. We always book with deals (typically free dining.) We will not go without some sort of promotion as we can't afford to. We like to go during off-season, which is actually high season for DVC. Also, we don't have the money to put down so we would have to finance (even for resale.) For us, the yearly maintenance fees are too high for our current budget and often the cost of hotel is about equivalent to maintenance fees (Again, we don't stay in deluxe.)

I an see how DVC is excellent for some families, but unfortunately ours is just not one of them. I love the idea of DVC, though! Maybe one day!

DVC also asks members not to take the pool towels to use in their villas. It takes more the wash the pool towels (all the sunscreen and stuff), so it costs members more.

I've worked for an entertainment complex. . .our pool towels and regular towels were all washed exactly the same. I suspect Disney's are as well. They're ALL parboiled, essentially, in big vats. It's no big secret - so are the sheets. I bet you could look up the laundry process for hotels if you wanted to read more about it.

Really, if there's any difference, room towels and sheets probably have opportunities for the real grotty stuff to get on them that pool towels don't. (Think of something that makes you really, really want to puke. It's probably been on the room towels. The pool towels, not so much.)

I've worked for an entertainment complex. . .our pool towels and regular towels were all washed exactly the same. I suspect Disney's are as well. They're ALL parboiled, essentially, in big vats. It's no big secret - so are the sheets. I bet you could look up the laundry process for hotels if you wanted to read more about it.

Really, if there's any difference, room towels and sheets probably have opportunities for the real grotty stuff to get on them that pool towels don't. (Think of something that makes you really, really want to puke. It's probably been on the room towels. The pool towels, not so much.)
Per one of the DVC VP's a few years ago it does cost them more to wash the pool towels than the others.

We enjoy our DVC because it forces a couple of A type personalities to go on vacation. Must use those points!!! :) Otherwise we'd be the type(s) to be working all the time. That being said, I agree that all it does is pay for a room and all the other expenses are staring at you every trip. But remember, you still have Vero Beach and Hilton Head which do not require those park tickets or trinkets from the parks. And that's exactly what we do. We will do the parks once per year (very frugally (is that a word?) I might add) and then hit those beautiful beaches for "other" vacations. Yes. I think it's worth it.

My Mom turned 80 last year and I took my Mom husband and 5 family members plus 8 others to HH. I did pay cash for some nights but still worth it. The trip was priceless!

don't they charge you extra?
They are supposed to, but I'm not sure how often they actually manage it. Even if they do, the cost is nominal at $6 per towel pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter