Is DVC Really the way to go?

smellyia

DIS Veteran
I recently did some math and realized that after our October trip we will have spent approximately $10,000 in resort costs at WDW in the last 3 years. We love to stay Deluxe and Beach Club is our favorite to the point each time we think about staying elsewhere we are a little saddened. We fly with SWA points so that cost is minimal and bought APs this year. We love Disney and plan on coming back often over the course of our lives, but we also have other places we want to visit like Disneyland and Hawaii is a favorite. I could see how DVC would be beneficial for us.

1. Is the best strategy to have a game plan on how often we like to go and calculate how many points we need from that?

2. Is there any other cost aside from the initial purchase and annual dues?

3. Is there a superthread on DVC resale tips somewhere here aside from the wdwinfo page?

4. I see contracts up for sale for low amounts like 50 points. Would anyone recommend buying for example 50 from BC and 50 from WL?

5. Do points hold the same value when used for different resorts? Like if I bought 200 for BC but wanted to stay at Aulani or GCH or VGF would it just be a matter of me having enough points? If this is the case what is the purpose of having "home resorts" aside from the 11 month advanced booking time?

Thanks for any help. It's a new process for me and I am finding a lot of info from resale sites and sometimes they tell you what you want to hear rather than the real deal....

Your best bet is to scan the purchasing threads, all of your questions are discussed a couple of times per week.

DVC may save you some money on your resort costs but it may also open the door to more frequent DVC vacations just like Disney planned. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

I recently did some math and realized that after our October trip we will have spent approximately $10,000 in resort costs at WDW in the last 3 years. We love to stay Deluxe and Beach Club is our favorite to the point each time we think about staying elsewhere we are a little saddened. We fly with SWA points so that cost is minimal and bought APs this year. We love Disney and plan on coming back often over the course of our lives, but we also have other places we want to visit like Disneyland and Hawaii is a favorite. I could see how DVC would be beneficial for us.

1. Is the best strategy to have a game plan on how often we like to go and calculate how many points we need from that?

2. Is there any other cost aside from the initial purchase and annual dues?

3. Is there a superthread on DVC resale tips somewhere here aside from the wdwinfo page?

4. I see contracts up for sale for low amounts like 50 points. Would anyone recommend buying for example 50 from BC and 50 from WL?

5. Do points hold the same value when used for different resorts? Like if I bought 200 for BC but wanted to stay at Aulani or GCH or VGF would it just be a matter of me having enough points? If this is the case what is the purpose of having "home resorts" aside from the 11 month advanced booking time?

Thanks for any help. It's a new process for me and I am finding a lot of info from resale sites and sometimes they tell you what you want to hear rather than the real deal....
DVC works best for those who can afford DVC, feel staying on property Moderate or higher is worth it and can plan at least 7 months in advance. If you're Ok with the commitment and risk and also the compromises, then it very well may be a good choice for you. I'd calculate the points you need based on your assumptions then go up or down depending. As a rule, I'd go up if you're looking at mostly studios and small contracts, down for large contracts. I wouldn't plan to buy 50 for 2 different resorts. Up front and dues are the main costs. There is always the risk of a Special Assessment. Dues can go up a lot, as much at 15% of more per year. They can reallocate points so that something goes up and something else goes down, one reason not to cut it too close when deciding on contact size. Many people simply spend any savings and then some elsewhere for Disney trips so I really don't think it saves many people money though it may or may not ad value.

If you fully understand DVC and make good purchasing decisions it "just might" be a good way to go.

Everything Disney does is so fine tuned it takes a lot of knowledge to create a benefit for yourself.

My recommendation is to read what is on this board. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and experience to draw from. Avoid the emotional purchase because that will almost certainly be "advantage Disney."

Yes, this is a great starting point. Do consider the make-up of your group and how that might impact your unit size in years to come. (Consider the age and gender of any children and how that impacts sleeping arrangements either now or a few years down the road.) Run calcs on a variety of resorts, travel dates and unit sizes. Don't expect to always snag the least expensive unit type. Sometimes you must be flexible: you might get a reservation at your #1 choice for resort but have to accept a larger unit type for your dates.

5a. Do points hold the same value when used for different resorts? Like if I bought 200 for BC but wanted to stay at Aulani or GCH or VGF would it just be a matter of me having enough points?

5b. If this is the case what is the purpose of having "home resorts" aside from the 11 month advanced booking time?
5a: I think you've got it. "Points are points" at the 7-month window. As long as you have enough points it doesn't matter which resort they came from.

5b: Each resort has an "expiration date." The home resort determines the expiration date for your membership. Also, Dues vary resort to resort. See post #2 in the super-thread, "DVC Resource Center": http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823952

Thanks. This is all helpful.

As our children get older and we become subject to school calendars we know our Memorial Day weekend/early June at BC is important to us. We like to do a 5nt trip here and normally try to fit a second somewhere else in the year at another resort but the second trip is generally last minute or flexible. I'm contemplating purchasing based off this week since it costs me about 1500 if I get a great AP rate. I think we would need around 76 points/yr so I'll be looking at contracts in that range with a UY of April at BCV, BLT, or WL as those two resorts are also in our top list for location and pool amenities.

I may wait and see how the new DVC at Poly goes but I'm wondering if those would be better purchased direct than at resale.

As our children get older and we become subject to school calendars we know our Memorial Day weekend/early June at BC is important to us. We like to do a 5nt trip here and normally try to fit a second somewhere else in the year at another resort but the second trip is generally last minute or flexible. I'm contemplating purchasing based off this week since it costs me about 1500 if I get a great AP rate. I think we would need around 76 points/yr so I'll be looking at contracts in that range with a UY of April at BCV, BLT, or WL as those two resorts are also in our top list for location and pool amenities.

I may wait and see how the new DVC at Poly goes but I'm wondering if those would be better purchased direct than at resale.

Be aware that if you want to stay at BCV at your usual time you will pretty much need to book your accommodations 11 months in advance.

As far as Poly DVC goes it may be a couple of years before any resales hit the market. The projected sales there look to cost at least what VGF and BLT are currently priced at, $165 pp, maybe higher. Plus the point requirements are going to be high to stay there.

It sounds like you have at least 2 children, if so, you'll grow out of a studio pretty quickly. Unless you want to stay at the Poly almost all the time, that would be a poor choice for your situation. Do spend time getting information, maybe rent for a trip then see where you are.

Yes that's a good point about growing out. We do have 2 children and aren't planning more. We don't care to cook much on a trip but that could always change. We don't stay in our rooms much except for a short break and even then you can find us at the pool. We love resort amenities but don't care to stay in the room much. DH would like us to focus on BCV or BLT as those are his favorites to stay at. We figure WL is great but would be a place we would to stay during Xmas or other high volume times that would cost more points.

As a PP said about Poly the point cost there will be extraordinary there I'm sure and while not a deal breaker also may not be the best use of our money and may be a place we go to every few years. We would also like to keep the annual due costs down to maximize our return on the initial investment. My DH did some calculations and we would get back our initial investment in 5-7 trips depending on how many points we went with by including savings on APs and factoring in annual dues etc. I think we will concentrate at first at getting points for our annual trip we enjoy so much around Memorial Day as we can easily plan those 11 months out.

I know the towel services are only on the 4th day which is not an issue, but do they do anything like providing pack n plays?

Is there other discount benefits for DVC besides the $100 off APs? Do you get the AP renewal discount AND the dvc discount?

this thread may help with pricing:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3232755

no, i'd agree with dean. at 11 months out, you cannot use BCV pts at VWL or vice versa, so it would be like you didn't own the other contract. you can only combine pts from those 2 contracts at the 7 month window (and then, only if you buy them with the same UY and titled the same, so they can be put under one membership number.)

it's easier to own at 1 resort unless you have a specific plan for using the contracts separately.

5. what is the purpose of having "home resorts" aside from the 11 month advanced booking time?

the 11 month window can make a big difference for certain resorts at certain times of the year.

I know the towel services are only on the 4th day which is not an issue, but do they do anything like providing pack n plays? Is there other discount benefits for DVC besides the $100 off APs? Do you get the AP renewal discount AND the dvc discount?

DVC rooms have a pack-and-play stored in the closet, you don't even need to call to have one delivered. It's ready to go when you walk in.

The other discount DVC gets currently is 10% on merchandise at most stores, and 10% on food at a few locations. Same as the AP and also not stackable. So a benefit if you're on a trip without an AP, not if you have one currently.

DVC also gets 25% off rack rate on DVC lodgings for cash bookings sometimes- which may not be as good as discounts otherwise available anyway.

The bottom line is that all perks are transient and not guaranteed. They can and will change at any time, and you shouldn't consider them in any analysis of whether to purchase.

The only thing DVC purchase guarantees you is the ability to book at your home resort, and a very high likelihood of ability to book at other resorts in the DVC system. (For this to go away, a resort would have to be removed from the DVC "club" entirely.). Everything else is sales tactics. Nice, but not guaranteed in any way.

I know the towel services are only on the 4th day which is not an issue, but do they do anything like providing pack n plays?

Is there other discount benefits for DVC besides the $100 off APs? Do you get the AP renewal discount AND the dvc discount?

All DVC units provide pack n plays. They are in the closets.

DVC AP discount is more like $149 off and you do get the renewal rate.
The last couple of years they have been giving killer PAP discounts to DVC members. Since these promotions have been very popular, hopefully this will continue.

We don't care to cook much on a trip but that could always change.

We moved to a 1 bedroom after our first child because of the washer/dryer in the room. The kitchen is nice to have, but we don't cook. I run the dishwasher every night with the kids' sippy cups and bottles on the top rack.

My youngest is still in a crib, so I request that when I check in. I know it's first come first served, but we've gotten it for every trip over the past 2 years.

I suggest figuring out which trips you can plan 7+ months ahead. Buy points at the resort you want for those trips. For trips planned after 7 months, I would buy at SSR.

My starting point would NOT be figuring out how many points you would need, what accommodations those would buy, how much it would cost, which broker to call, etc.

My starting point would be to answer this question: "Is timeshare ownership the best solution for vacation lodging for my family?"

The only way to answer that question is to research all of the options, including renting from owners, cash discounts, and the vast universe of offsite accommodations, both timeshare and cash rental.

Any timeshare includes several things:
  1. A very longterm significant financial commitment. With DVC, you're talking about 30-50 years, which is longer than your home mortgage obligation.
  2. The need to do significant planning and booking far in advance of your vacation. That's an adjustment for most people, and DVC in particular is difficult to use without really planning your trips.
  3. The purchase of an asset that will depreciate over time. DVC retains resale value better than most, but you will almost certainly sell it for somewhat less than you paid, even if you buy resale.

Some other timeshares are impossible to even give away when you no longer want the encumbrance. The bright side of that picture is you can get them for nothing going in, give them away exiting, and not lose much.
Once you decide timeshares are for you, I would look at where you realistically would want to vacation for the next 10-20 years. Nobody can predict that with absolute accuracy, but it will give you a starting point to see which timeshare systems will best meet your needs. Where will this timeshare you are about to put thousands of dollars into take your family?

If, after all that, you decide timeshares are the answer and DVC is THE ONE, then go through the exercise you are starting here.

My starting point would NOT be figuring out how many points you would need, what accommodations those would buy, how much it would cost, which broker to call, etc.

My starting point would be to answer this question: "Is timeshare ownership the best solution for vacation lodging for my family?"

The only way to answer that question is to research all of the options, including renting from owners, cash discounts, and the vast universe of offsite accommodations, both timeshare and cash rental.

Any timeshare includes several things:
  1. A very longterm significant financial commitment. With DVC, you're talking about 30-50 years, which is longer than your home mortgage obligation.
  2. The need to do significant planning and booking far in advance of your vacation. That's an adjustment for most people, and DVC in particular is difficult to use without really planning your trips.
  3. The purchase of an asset that will depreciate over time. DVC retains resale value better than most, but you will almost certainly sell it for somewhat less than you paid, even if you buy resale.

Some other timeshares are impossible to even give away when you no longer want the encumbrance. The bright side of that picture is you can get them for nothing going in, give them away exiting, and not lose much.
Once you decide timeshares are for you, I would look at where you realistically would want to vacation for the next 10-20 years. Nobody can predict that with absolute accuracy, but it will give you a starting point to see which timeshare systems will best meet your needs. Where will this timeshare you are about to put thousands of dollars into take your family?

If, after all that, you decide timeshares are the answer and DVC is THE ONE, then go through the exercise you are starting here.

Thank you - these are all excellent points for us to start with. Our needs are pretty easy. Easily I can say we go to WDW annually and I have been a lifelong Disney goer only transitioning from CA to FL because of my home location. I don't see this changing as I have my eye on the future when I can do adult trips with DH once my children are older and look forward to those as much as I do to my next trip.

We are onsite people. We love staying onsite and if we like the deluxe resorts the best. We live small regular lives and like to vacation big several times a year and are generally travelling 5-6 times a year, at least 1-2 of those times being a Disney destination. I have no problem planning that far in advance as we already have our 2015 vacation plans mapped out - not booked because we are waiting for availability and discounts, but as soon as they open we are ready to book. Sadly, I even know where I want to eat next year at our destinations.

We have never been ones interested in timeshares until we started staying at BC and find that place probably one of our favorite resorts we have ever stayed at in the world. We often only plan half days at the parks and half days at the resort with dinner around there or in Epcot. However, I should definitely compare renting DVC points vs purchase vs cash stays.

Thanks again.

Smellyia-

Given your last post, I would say DVC is indeed right for you- if you can afford to pay cash for a resale contract. There would be relative cost savings to stay offsite or at a value resort. But for a moderate or deluxe you come out well ahead with DVC in the medium to long term.

Definitely buy BCV if that is where you want to stay most of the time. It can be difficult to get for many months of the year, at the seven month window. The additional cost of a BCV resale versus something less upfront like SSR will be well worth it in terms of securing your preferred location.

Do understand the difference between a timeshare and a deluxe resort.

If you are going to book a studio, you'll have a queen bed and a full pullout at the BCV. If you move to a one bedroom, you'll have a king bed and a queen pullout, but won't save money over booking a regular resort room.

Mousekeeping will be limited. Most DVCers like that - some people on the resort board aren't sure how we survive without towel animals.

The other one is discounts - discounts are usually offered in packages - like "get a hotel room, get free dining" - well, you aren't getting a hotel room. Points are never discounted and they never throw in something like free dining or free park tickets. There are perks - they come and go - but when you are looking at something like free dining, our discounts can look disappointing if you are a fan of those things.

Do understand the difference between a timeshare and a deluxe resort.

If you are going to book a studio, you'll have a queen bed and a full pullout at the BCV. If you move to a one bedroom, you'll have a king bed and a queen pullout, but won't save money over booking a regular resort room.

Mousekeeping will be limited. Most DVCers like that - some people on the resort board aren't sure how we survive without towel animals.

The other one is discounts - discounts are usually offered in packages - like "get a hotel room, get free dining" - well, you aren't getting a hotel room. Points are never discounted and they never throw in something like free dining or free park tickets. There are perks - they come and go - but when you are looking at something like free dining, our discounts can look disappointing if you are a fan of those things.

Exactly. What is it that you like about deluxe resorts? If you like concierge, you won't get that easily with DVC. There are only five two bedroom lockoffs at AKV that are concierge villas. And they go quickly at 11 months out to owners at AKV. So you would need to own AKV and that could make getting BCV more difficult.

If you like the upscale theming and finishes, you won't find that as much with DVC, except for maybe GFV (for now). DVC does not refresh resorts as often as the Disney owned resorts. Members pay for all renovations and they are scheduled further out that the regular resorts.

And the sleeper sofas are never a comfortable as real beds.

We have never been ones interested in timeshares until we started staying at BC and find that place probably one of our favorite resorts we have ever stayed at in the world. We often only plan half days at the parks and half days at the resort with dinner around there or in Epcot. However, I should definitely compare renting DVC points vs purchase vs cash stays.

Thanks again.

You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread, and I would like to add one more point. You need to take a second to think about what you love about BC. Personally speaking, I LOVE staying at Beach Club but will not stay at BCV (again). Room views and proximity to activity are very important to me. BCV feels very isolated, if you look at Google maps you will see that they are set back pretty far from the lake and all the activity. The views are pretty poor as well. Not a big deal for most people, but I chose BWV as my home resort over BCV for this very reason and I am pleased with my choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter