Is doing a solo trip that much fun?

captaindavidhook

<font color=green>Stay away from there<br><font co
I have been tinkering with the ideal of doing a solo trip in the next few months. I have asked some people, for thier advice as far the pros and cons of doing a solo. The more I think of it, the more I am intrigued about making it happen. I have some questions I would like to ask some of the people on here that have done a solo trip before, so here goes:

How manys days do you make your trip for?

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo?

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?

Sorry for all the questions, I just hope someone can help fill in the blanks for me and give me some answers on thier previous experiences doing a solo. Also just a side note, let me know if you did a solo, how much did you enjoy it or not. Thanks in advance and any advice you could throw my way in helping me, is very much welcomed.

I'm a huge proponent of solo trips. My next one starts in 8 days. I usually stay about a week solo at WDW and 4-5 days when I go to DLR. I'm doing 7 nights at WDW starting next week. I've enjoyed every one I've done and between WDW and DLR, I think I've lost count. However, as they say, "Your results may vary." Some people just don't do well by themselves and feel self-conscious, lonely, etc.

For my first big solo trip to WDW, I went all-out and did a Platinum Package and planned my days to the "nth" degree. I deliberately planned activities where I wouldn't be alone: park tours, parasailing, Segway, etc., just to ensure plenty of interaction with others. But I soon discovered that my fears of being lonely when it was just "me-time" were unfounded. Lately, I've tended to wing it a bit more, rather than planning out every moment (which you need to do in order to get the most out of a Premium/Platinum plan).

I definitely prefer table service solo meals (whether in the dining room or bar) over doing counter service. I like talking to the wait staff and/or bartenders and personally find that counter service solo meals are somewhat depressing.

As far as hotels go, I've done everything from mega-splurge (suite at a deluxe) to economy (value resorts with AP discount). Because I spend so little time in my room during a solo trip, I've found that the values are best for me. The savings lets me splurge on expensive wine, dinners at V&A, spa treatments, etc., and still come out cheaper than staying at a deluxe. I'll still spring for AKL every now and then because I love watching the animals, but mostly I stay at Pop Century.

Try it...you'll like it. (And on the chance that don't, just chalk it up as something not to do again.) Here's my take: I've gone on enough vacations that were ruined (or nearly so) by others...but if I have a bad time on a solo trip I can only blame myself! A perfect vacation with love ones will always be tops...but alone time at a Disney resort is pretty awesome.

And, yes, I think Photopass would be a good option for you.

How manys days do you make your trip for? I just went and my dates were Sept 10th- 13th. I checked into Pop at a little after noon and ME picked me up to go home at 2:55pm. I did lunch and a little shopping at DTD then did HS with EMH. Tuesday morning/early afternoon at AK then MK with MNSSHP, Wednesday was all day at Epcot, then Thursday was MK til I had to head back to the hotel. I would change that by adding 1 more day only because by the end of it I was truly exhausted.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo? I didn't feel weird or odd at all. I actually quite enjoyed it.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family? I didn't feel like I missed out on anything, but there were times I would have liked to point something out to a friend or just to talk over a meal. Not enough to deter me from doing another solo but it was a change.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?I upgraded from free QS dining to deluxe and personally found it a bit much. I think if there was someone else with me I would have been able to eat more just out of distraction.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option? I think Photopass folks are willing to use your own camera to take pics but I'm not 100%. I never use photopass.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you? I went value only because I knew I'd be using the room only to sleep and shower. If I went for a longer period of time with some relaxation time built in I'd rent DVCpoints from a friend of mine again

Thank you both for your friendly replies. :thumbsup2 The information you have shared has been great.

My last trip to the Land the photopass photographers were more than happy to take pictures with your camera :goodvibes

My last trip to the Land the photopass photographers were more than happy to take pictures with your camera :goodvibes

Thank you. I just didn't know if they wouldn't like you asking them to take a pic of you, using your camera. Another question I have. I have never used a park hopper in my trips with family and friends but was wondering, do anyone of you use it? I can't imagine getting it at this point but i was told it makes things much more easier to get around with it.

I have been tinkering with the ideal of doing a solo trip in the next few months. I have asked some people, for thier advice as far the pros and cons of doing a solo. The more I think of it, the more I am intrigued about making it happen. I have some questions I would like to ask some of the people on here that have done a solo trip before, so here goes:

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?

Sorry for all the questions, I just hope someone can help fill in the blanks for me and give me some answers on thier previous experiences doing a solo. Also just a side note, let me know if you did a solo, how much did you enjoy it or not. Thanks in advance and any advice you could throw my way in helping me, is very much welcomed.

I've done multiple solo trips this year to WDW and I enjoy each and every one of them. The greatest benefit of going solo to me is doing what I want when I want. But to answer your questions;

1. I usually visit for an average of 4 days. This will give me enough time to visit mulitple parks and not feel rushed to get things done.
2. At times I may feel a little odd about being solo but I am usually caught up in the moment and trip that I really don't give it much tought.
3. I usually don't get that odd feeling about missing family or friends. I am just enjoying myself to really think about it with the exception of around dinner time.
4. I really prefer table service and I don't have a problem sitting alone but at times I do miss having someone to talk to during the meal.
5. I usually asks someone in line or a cast member take my photos but I also get the photopass to compare all the pictures.
6. I am a DVC owner and I prefer the deluxe accomodations but that's just me.

I hope this helps.

I've done multiple solo trips this year to WDW and I enjoy each and every one of them. The greatest benefit of going solo to me is doing what I want when I want. But to answer your questions;

1. I usually visit for an average of 4 days. This will give me enough time to visit mulitple parks and not feel rushed to get things done.
2. At times I may feel a little odd about being solo but I am usually caught up in the moment and trip that I really don't give it much tought.
3. I usually don't get that odd feeling about missing family or friends. I am just enjoying myself to really think about it with the exception of around dinner time.
4. I really prefer table service and I don't have a problem sitting alone but at times I do miss having someone to talk to during the meal.
5. I usually asks someone in line or a cast member take my photos but I also get the photopass to compare all the pictures.
6. I am a DVC owner and I prefer the deluxe accomodations but that's just me.

I hope this helps.

Absolutely this helps. Like I said, any info that solo travelers can share with me is appreciatted.

I have never used a park hopper in my trips with family and friends but was wondering, do anyone of you use it? I can't imagine getting it at this point but i was told it makes things much more easier to get around with it.

I think upgrading to a Park Hopper is worth it. It's nice to have options. No matter where I start my day, I'll often head to Epcot in the evening for food and drinks, so for me, having a hopper is a must.

Since I am very used to spending a lot of time alone outside of work, and I have a very stressful job - I find my solo trips the most fun.

I was an only child and have been single for several years, so I am used to spending time alone and amusing myself. On my solo trips, I read, cross-stitch, write in a journal, etc.

I sleep late and don't care if I spend the entire day in my room at least one of the days - I don't get to do it at home very often.

I usually eat at the bar and get to meet a lot of interesting people who are waiting for their tables. I also can be left alone, if I wish by burying my head in a book.

How manys days do you make your trip for? Usually just one so far, but in the future I think I might opt for two.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo? At first I did, but then I realized that you will get complete strangers coming up to talk to you, as well as a lot of CM's.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?Sure! But it is usually replaced by a humbleness, and a freedom of being able to do whatever I want to do, at my own time, and my own speed.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?I usually just get counter service. I don't spend very long eating meals :)

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?Sounds good!

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?I think, since I will be making future trips a 2 day, that I would stay as close as possible to DL. I mean, I am splurging anyway, and being a female in my mid twenties, lets just say I don't want to be going down Harbor blvd at midnight to my hotel in the middle of the night. Plus, being close adds to the experience, and it will give me more energy to do more rides, swim, and be close to the hotel if I need to rest.

Sorry for all the questions, I just hope someone can help fill in the blanks for me and give me some answers on thier previous experiences doing a solo. Also just a side note, let me know if you did a solo, how much did you enjoy it or not. Thanks in advance and any advice you could throw my way in helping me, is very much welcomed.[/QUOTE]Done solo a couple of times. B/c of wear I live, I would spend 3-4 hrs. there and then have to drive back home before I got too exhausted. In the future, I think I would go for the day, have a room over night, go in the next morning, checkout and drive home early that afternoon. :upsidedow

Usually 4 -5 days.

Not at all. The only time anyone knows for sure that you are solo is when they ask how many on an attraction or ADR. Even in line the people ahead of you assume you're with the group in back and the group in back assumes you're with the group in front. I usually think of how many times you are alone even when you are with a group. Walking to get FP. Getting snacks. Meeting up at a later time.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family? I wouldn't call it lonliness but there are absolutely times when you may wish you're family was there. Another reason to go back at a later date.

Absolutely TS for me. Everyone around you is too focused on their own meals to be looking around for solo diners.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option? I don't but you can if you want. I do find that I take more pictures and videos.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you? I usually do a split stay but end up deluxe. Having a comfortable room is better for relaxing in down time. Plus I love having a balcony.

I second the idea of getting PHs. It gives you so much more flexibility and with no one else to disagree, you can pick up and go to another park whenever you feel like it.

See above

Thanks everyone for all the great answers they are sharing. Please, don't be shy. Share your past solo trips and experiences with me, along with any advice you can share.

I was alone for one day/night this week and was very lonely! I will admit I was able to do a lot in the parks on my own, but I still would have preferred to have a family member or friend there to enjoy the day and night with. Dinner was especially lonely and I'm glad I only had to do one by myself. I travel every other week for work so I'm used to traveling alone, but Disney just isn't a place I want to be alone in. I realized solo trips aren't for me, but different strokes for different folks!! :goodvibes

I was alone for one day/night this week and was very lonely! I will admit I was able to do a lot in the parks on my own, but I still would have preferred to have a family member or friend there to enjoy the day and night with. Dinner was especially lonely and I'm glad I only had to do one by myself. I travel every other week for work so I'm used to traveling alone, but Disney just isn't a place I want to be alone in. I realized solo trips aren't for me, but different strokes for different folks!! :goodvibes

Where in Philly are you from?

I loved both of my solo trips and wish I could do one every year - unfortunately, my budget hasn't allowed for it lately because my hubby loves Disney as much as I do and wants to come with me all the time.

To answer your questions:

How manys days do you make your trip for? My first was only 4 nights, felt way too short, so my second was a full week (7 nights) - perfect amount of time for me.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo? Never! Even when I travel with family/friends, I always spend at least one part of a day wandering alone, so it doesn't feel odd to me at all. I think when you are truly solo, most people think you are just spending some time away from family anyhow, that they are somewhere nearby.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family? Never - I have been with the family enough to appreciate the wonders of being solo - not having to ask everyone what they want to do that day, where they want to eat, what time they want to leave, etc., etc. I can get up and use the shower/bathroom whenever I like without waiting in my room - I can choose which park I want to go to while walking to the bus stop with no pre-planning or debating. And with internet in the room, I am only an email/Facebook message away from my family.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you? I found I didn't mind the couple of table meals I had alone - talked to the CMs and caught up on my journal, but I found I enjoyed counter service more just because of the convenience of choosing what I wanted to eat whenever and wherever I happened to be when I was hungry. I liked not having reservations and just flying by the seat of my pants - I found I tried more places in the parks this way because it was just me and I didn't have anyone with me to complain about my choices.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option? I never used Photopass, and I have tons of character pics from my solo - the CMs at every character spot would gladly take a pic with my own camera when they saw I was alone.

I am a DVC member, and although I would have loved to stay at a studio, I wanted to save points for our family trips when we need more space and kitchen amenities to save on eating out. Being alone, the cost of eating out didn't matter to me, and my value resort room felt huge when I wasn't sharing storage or sleeping and bathroom space with anyone else. It was a total luxury just to have a room to myself. I enjoyed Pop the best, because I requested a lake side room away from all the hub bub in the Lady and the Tramp section. I really wasn't in my room that much anyhow.

And having a park hopper is priceless - you can go to whatever park has early extra magic hours in the morning, and then hop over and stay at whatever one is open late at night. AK always closes early, so it was nice to spend a day there and then after resting in my room, heading out to MK to enjoy the fireworks and stroll around the park afterwards alone until the crowds left the park. It is also unbelievably awesome to not worry about losing your loved ones in the crowds at parades/fireworks etc, as you don't have to make room or keep track of anyone else at all!:woohoo:

I do a lot of things alone - theme parks, movies, dinners in restaurants - on a regular basis, so traveling to Disney alone isn't a big deal for me personally. I've only done one solo WDW trip so far (5 days this past August) but I have three more planned, plus a cruise.

I like to stay in touch with family and friends using texting, Facebook, and Twitter. I edit and post pictures while I'm on vacation so I feel like I'm sharing my trip with people who aren't with me. It helps prevent me from feeling lonely, plus it gives me some stuff to do during downtime. I also keep a trip journal on my phone.

I'll have Photopass+ for my long (10-day) January trip with a character meal every day, but I didn't use Photopass at all when I went in August. I got plenty of pictures of myself using my phone, and a few where I asked CMs to take them for me with it. (My phone is really my trip companion!)

I enjoy eating TS meals by myself and I found the CMs to be very friendly and attentive, even though I was alone. I make sure to tip well and try to be a quick table for them, so they can keep their turnover going. Eating alone means I can eat wherever I want, and I can eat at my own pace with nobody rushing me or holding me up.

All my planned trips are in Value resorts because I've never seen the point in expensive hotel rooms. For me, a hotel room is a place to sleep, shower, and leave my stuff. As long as it's clean, functional, and safe, I'm all good. This is a matter of opinion, of course. Even if I was with someone else I'd still argue to stay Value.

several yearas ago went for week solo and was so nice and relaxing. did not have to worry about anyone but me. went when and where wanted to and ate when ever. was able to ride anything that wanted to and into any show... had time to just browse the shops at my pace. wonderful trip..I am not a huge fan of eating alone but even that went fine.

I can't say it enough but thank you all for the great feedback. Everything you are saying I am taking into account. Another thing I totally forgot, that I could do is maybe make some new friends there. Meet some people from dis who live there or are on vacation at the same time. So, in a way I could share a meal with someone as well as the rides and attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter