Is DCL any good for adults only?

My DH and I are going on a 3 night in August for our 10th anniversary too! No kids this time...DH and I want to get away for a few nights by ourselves ~ we haven't been away wihtout kids since our honeymoon :sad2: .

We only wanted to get away for a few nights ~ I didn't want to ask anyone to take the kids for a whole week so that's why we went with the 3 night option. I did look into other vacations because I wasn't sure DH would want to do a Disney cruise without kids ~ I mean the mentality is Disney = kids, but nothing else appealed to me and DH was fine with DCL after all.

Our friends & family think we are crazy going on a Disney Cruise without kids, but I think it will be great. We already know we like the ship ~ it's clean, it's fun, has great food, goes to CC etc ~ I have no desire to try another cruise line just to be disappointed and wonder the whole time why we didn't just go on DCL.

DW and I have no children and are Disney-a-holics as well. We did DCL for our 6th anniversary and are doing it again this year for our 8th anniversary. We are also looking at doing one of the Med cruises next year. Does that answer your question? :rotfl:

We had an absolutely wonderful time on our cruise. We found it could be very romantic, and that is one of the reasons we are going back. I say go for it!

My DW and I go every year. We love it! We have older kids and will go with grandchildern someday. You have to be a Disney Lover to go on the DCL, which we are. In addition if you are a Disney Lover you are not bothered by kids, but their Adult only areas provide shelter.

Schiffy
14 days until our cruise!!!!! :banana:

Although my DH and I have children (9, 17, 19), we leave them at home and absolutely love the Disney Cruise! We have been on two, a 3 night last year and a 7 last month and booked another 7 for next February (our anniversary is in Feb.). The adult pool was so quiet and relaxing, as was Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. Polo's is a must for one night, and there are so many areas of the ship where you can catch some romantic night air that you will find it very hard to believe that there are even children on the ship! Especially after eating at the second seating. We even loved the character breakfast on the Magic (okay, there were a lot of kids there but we enjoyed having our pictures taken with the characters!). Our children keep getting angry that we aren't taking them, but there is nothing like being pampered all week without them underfoot and being surrounded by all of the Disney magic! You will have a fabulous time!

Laura

Yeah, us too. Three cruises so far, and no kids. It's not that we dislike kids, it's just, well, yeah, okay, we dislike kids. Although my nephew is cute. :teeth:

Be that as it may...we really love DCL. We took a friend, his sister, their dad and step-mom on this one, and everybody had a great time.

The thing I'm really looking forward to on our next cruise (finally, a 7-day) is not starting out the cruise exhausted. Two of our three previous have come on the tail end of a Land/Sea, and after four days of the parks, I'm just flat wiped out. The other cruise was for our honeymoon, and with the insanity of that whole deal (I planned our wedding, because DW is finishing her residency and works 80 hours a week), plus leaving the reception early to drive two hours to the airport, I didn't have a lot of energy for that one.

We're looking forward to the 7-day to maybe see some more of the night-life aboard the Magic. There are times the Wonder is a little dead after dark. I understand those with munchkins need to get them to bed, or people are exhausted (like me). Can the Magic vets around here discuss the clubs and such on the 7-days? Are they more populated than those on the Wonder?

:thumbsup2 Ricka47 is right ...

... more or less about some of the food. I feel the topsiders buffett is not too hot... but at the same time it is not too bad either. And the presentation in the main dining venues is a slight cut over some other lines. We recently returned from the CArnival Spirit (8 nites, San Diego to Mexico) and had a decent time. Disney was better. And we sort of compared the dishes against Disney. And in side by side comparisons it is interesting how many items are actually similar... while it is just as interesting to see the preserntation differences in side by side photos.

So, aside fromn that - in brief - we liked the DCL entertainment by FAR, and the service at all levels was significantly better. Cabin layout/condition/ship layout and condition were also nominally better. IE, we were the 1st passengers on the Spirit after a dry dock... and we had new furniture on our veranda plus new carpeting in their tiny kids' club... but aside from that the elevators were clearly worn and that was annoying in such a public focal point. Carnival planners are fools to be saving on elevator condition given their frequent use. And there were other smaller lapses here and there on the Spirit that we would have NEVER found on the DCL Magic (we have not sailed the Wonder yet). And, the front desk staff were definately LESS professional or patron oriented than DCL. The Carnival staff almost seemed like they were disinterested and ineffectual considering the plights of folks ahead and behind us in line. And my questions were met without care or satisfaction. And just to put it into perspective... (I kno... I'm getting longer in my posting now)... I was suspicious that a gold watch might have dissappeared from my cabin - and I admitted it might be in my bags. It was an $8,000 watch and the desk staff were not very sensitive to my queries and referred me to land side customer service. AND I had read on that the better business bureau noted the land side customer service ratings for CCL were abysmal... as well as their record of resolving issues. Compare that against NCL who also has an abysmal front end land record for customer service BUT a good record for resolving problems!

So... I was not too enthuisiastic. On the upside I found my watch in my baggage.... so there was no loss... but the conduct of the front desk left me sour and expectant of nothing from CCL. If this were DCL I KNOW they would have acted otherwise. IE... on our 1st DCL cruise we were debarking and at the gangway I paused to ask the CM for a comment card. The staffer was immediately concerned and walked me over to the front desk. And they exchanged very very concerned glances and were really concerned. As they handed me a replacement comment card they asked which cabin I was in and recorded it and I paused and asked politely WHY they were so concerned. The CMs paused in silence and exchanged glances and then one of them said they were concerned that maybe the cabin steward had not left a comment card to avoid commentary because comment cards are viewed very very seriously and it is expected that every cabin have a comment card available.

SO... I must say they would NOT have told me and they might have investigated our cabin styeward if I had not paused to ask. I in turn explained that this was my first cruise after sailing (at the time) about a dozen other cruises... and I was SO IMPRESSED that just before leaving I wanted to write some commentary in PRAISE of everything that I had encountered. At that point the CMs at the front desk looked visibly relieved and were all smiling hugely. Big difference in their attituides.

BTW... at the end of that 1st DCL cruise we were SO impressed with the condition of the Magic... and then as we were leaving we discovered the ship was going into dry dock for refurbishment. They were laying down plywood over the marble floors and work crews and materials were piled up on the dock. We were awefully imipressed they were actually going to find something to refurbish given the beautiful condition of the ship as it was!

So back to the comparison... overall... the only advantage of the Carnival Spirit was that it was cheaper for our family of four and delivered 8 nights instead of 7; and a veranda instead of a window.

SO... I hope this helps a little.

TTFN

I'm a DINK to I guess!

We have done 3 of the DCL short 4 night cruises and in July my DH & myself will be doing a 7 nighter!!

We have no Kids :(

But we r big kids ourselves ;)

This is a great post - my husband and I have been thinking about a Disney Cruise for some time now and have been wondering what the atmosphere would be for adults only.

We both love Disney and are DINKs as well.

We have been on two RCL cruises (Voyager & Explorer) and loved them both.

Does DCL offer seating for 2 ?? I would like to eat by ourselves.

From the experience of others here....I just ordered the DVD to get a feel of the boats.

DH and I are also DINKS and have enjoyed the cruises. Frankly, I feel like kids have less of an impact on the experience on the cruise then they do at WDW because there are so many adult-only areas. We spend most of our time in Palo, the spa, the adult pool, and Serenity Bay. The food in the main dining rooms is okay - think like your average moderate Disney restaurant, Boatwrights, Olivia's, etc. Palo is more like an Artist Point, Citrico's, etc. to me. You should expect to sit with others in the main rooms. You might try to convince some other DINK friends to go along or find someone on the boards.

BTW, off topic, but my husband was telling me that he heard the sequal to DINKS the other day: SITCOM = Single Income, Two Children, Outrageous Mortgage ;)

kennancat said:
Snip....
BTW, off topic, but my husband was telling me that he heard the sequal to DINKS the other day: SITCOM = Single Income, Two Children, Outrageous Mortgage ;)

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter