Is BCV run down?

Rileyf

Earning My Ears
I was thinking of getting a 1bdr villa at BC instead of a room at BC or YC. What is the condition of the rooms like. I have read some not so great reviews on trip advisor. It what be a cash reservation.

Well, I haven't stayed at BC since my sister's 14th birthday (she's 33), but we stayed at BCV three weeks ago. We didn't find them run down at all. Of course you could always get a randomly "bad" room, but we found everything to be fine. The villas are refurbished less frequently than the hotels, and the decor style is different. Some people might confuse "not their style" with "rundown" or "outdated".

If the pictures of the villas look appealing, and the thought of having a more homey feel than hotel feel is what you are looking for, you can book with confidence.

We were just there for the 1st time 1/25-1/30 and found it to be very nice and not run down at all....but my SIL was there over the summer and she thought it was a bit in need of renovations. I guess it depends on your standards but really, everything worked in our 2BR villa (302) and nothing was torn, stained or busted or anything like that...the only thing was that the 2nd bedroom's bathroom tub faucet had a steady drip. We informed the CM, at check out, about it and I put it in the online survey I was sent. But I found it to be a beautiful resort. It is our new fave (just above BWV).

I wish they would update the aesthetics of this resort. They are pretty dated. I see a lot of folks on this board claim that folks just don't get the "theme" of the resort, but I think I do understand the "theme". BCV could be updated and not look like it has been ignored since the mid-90's without losing the integrity of the theming.

New tile and carpet would go a long way in achieving a more current look. DVC resorts are NOT updated often though.

I am only talking about the way the room is decorated though. The resort is in no way "run down". They do a great job of making their dated room look exceptionally clean and fresh looking.

I wish they would update the aesthetics of this resort. They are pretty dated. I see a lot of folks on this board claim that folks just don't get the "theme" of the resort, but I think I do understand the "theme". BCV could be updated and not look like it has been ignored since the mid-90's without losing the integrity of the theming.

New tile and carpet would go a long way in achieving a more current look. DVC resorts are NOT updated often though.

I am only talking about the way the room is decorated though. The resort is in no way "run down". They do a great job of making their dated room look exceptionally clean and fresh looking.

I believe some small changes are coming 2014! :cheer2: At least that's what I hear! :scratchin I have never been a fan of the theme of the rooms & sometimes a few things may need minor repairs but overall it's a wonderful resort which I am proud to call my home! Location was the key to our happiness from this resort & hasn't failed us yet! :thumbsup2 Looking forward to our stay December 2013! :yay:

We were there last April and the villa we got was in poor condition. Scratches on all of the tables (deep ones), light bulbs missing, non-function stove, overhead light blown in kitchen, lack of maid service (no even towels and trash), lack of soap/shampoo. It was just not up to what it should have been. We did have a great time, though!

I believe some small changes are coming 2014! :cheer2: At least that's what I hear!

Can I ask where you're hearing this? I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and no one could confirm nor deny. Thanks!

Can I ask where you're hearing this? I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and no one could confirm nor deny. Thanks!

I attended the owners meeting back in December. Also from other threads on this board. They were talking about switching to like a duvet style that the newer villas have & getting rid of the old bed spreads (don't like those). Unless they already did this - haven't been since 2009. :confused3 I'm just hoping they make other small changes! No worries! :cool1: If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but we'll just have to wait and see?! :rolleyes1 ;)

We stayed there twice once in 2010 and once in 2011, and I would agree with some others, the theming is dated, but mostly it's a nice resort. I am a hotel snob and love Bay Lake Tower and Kidani Village style rooms the best since they are most updated and new.\

Edit: I have friends who have stayed last year the Beach Club in the hotel part and they were not impressed. I have only stayed in the villas so have no point of reference to the actual hotel.

...BCV could be updated and not look like it has been ignored since the mid-90's without losing the integrity of the theming.

BCV didn't even open until 2002. It couldn't have been ignored since the mid-90's. The BCV didn't exist in 1999.

However, since member's fees pay for all renovations, including carpet, tile, etc., management needs to be frugal with renovations unless DVC Sales wants to pay for the renovations. And since they have little or nothing to sell at BCV, they are not going to do that.

I can confirm that in 2014 they will be doing an overhaul of all the Bcv's. I sent a list of issues from our last stay, and received both a phone call and written response confirming this. I asked if this would be more than soft goods, and was categorically told "yes". Not sure what that means but the lady on the phone said it would be extensive.

Thanks for all the replies. We have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts, and I have found the BC to be the most in need of a refurb. In my opinion most of the resorts could use more TLC. I love the location and the pool, and I thought having a washer and dryer in the room would be great. We are currently booked at the YC. I will probably stick with that. I'm afraid of spending that extra 1000 and getting a bad room. It seems like the reviews are 50/50 and that scares me.

BCV didn't even open until 2002. It couldn't have been ignored since the mid-90's. The BCV didn't exist in 1999.

Which is why it is particularity egregious that it looks like it hasn't been updated since the mid-90's.

One of out party had to stay in the BCV at our christmas trip this year for their first night before moving to the BWV. Up until then I had been looking for an add on there or the BWV. After seeing the BCV my wife and I changed our focus to just the BWV. The room and hall were very dated and tired. There was nothing specifically wrong with the room but when my sister-in-law moved over to the BWV the next day she commented on how much better she liked the room. Some people say the same for the BWV and I agree to a certain extent but the views and other amenities make up for it in our opinion. What I came away with was the main attraction was the pool. We had been in the BCV before but never stayed there. I'm glad we got a chance to see it before we bought a second contract.
JMO

Does anyone know how often they refurb the DVC side vs the hotel side?

I know on the Beach Club wikipedia page, it says that the Beach Club rooms were renovated in 2009. But the Beach Club Villas don't say anything.

Does anyone know how often they refurb the DVC side vs the hotel side?

I know on the Beach Club wikipedia page, it says that the Beach Club rooms were renovated in 2009. But the Beach Club Villas don't say anything.

OKW was built in 1991/1992. It was renovated for the first time in 2010. BWV was built around 1994/1995. It was renovated for the first time in 2009. BCV was opened in 2002. I don't expect a complete renovation for a few more years.

All renovations at the DVC resorts are paid for with member annual fees. DVC does not pay for them. Not so the non-DVC resorts. They are paid for by Disney and the cost recovered by raising the rates.

We are owners at BCV since it opened, so we have stayed there many times. We were there in a 2 bedroom villa last week. Nothing specifically wrong, but the rooms look tired/old/dingy. TV didn't work in the living area. Was replaced twice during our stay, so I would guess that it wasn't the tv, but the cable. Of course this was during the Super Bowl. A couple of light bulbs had to be replaced. Other than the over all dreary look of the villa, it is still our favorite due to location. As has been mentioned many times on these boards, the hallway carpeting looks dirty. Of course, I can't ever remember a stay when it didn't. We moved to SSR for a few days after our BCV stay and really liked the overall "comfortable" feel of the villa there much more.

We were just there for the 1st time 1/25-1/30 and found it to be very nice and not run down at all....but my SIL was there over the summer and she thought it was a bit in need of renovations. I guess it depends on your standards but really, everything worked in our 2BR villa (302) and nothing was torn, stained or busted or anything like that...the only thing was that the 2nd bedroom's bathroom tub faucet had a steady drip. We informed the CM, at check out, about it and I put it in the online survey I was sent. But I found it to be a beautiful resort. It is our new fave (just above BWV).

We just returned yesterday and we were also in BCV 302. The location was prime (I preferred that we were at the end of the hall since my kids tended to be noisy with their cousins in the villa next door)
The faucet was still dripping in the 2nd bedroom and the dishwasher racks didn't slide properly. The stove burners were criss-crossed (we tried to turn on front right and back left heated up) These minor things did not bother us much.

Having grown up vacationing on the beaches on the Eastern shores (New Jersey beaches) I can say that the decor and 'feel' is legit. The lobby is so nicely decorated. We loved the marketplace and especially the pool- We think it's the best of all the resorts.

We will be returning to BCV for sure!

We just returned yesterday and we were also in BCV 302. The location was prime (I preferred that we were at the end of the hall since my kids tended to be noisy with their cousins in the villa next door)
The faucet was still dripping in the 2nd bedroom and the dishwasher racks didn't slide properly. The stove burners were criss-crossed (we tried to turn on front right and back left heated up) These minor things did not bother us much.

Having grown up vacationing on the beaches on the Eastern shores (New Jersey beaches) I can say that the decor and 'feel' is legit. The lobby is so nicely decorated. We loved the marketplace and especially the pool- We think it's the best of all the resorts.

We will be returning to BCV for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter