Is anyone else hugely entertained by the FP+ tier system test?

I am not amused at all by the FP+ commotion. I cannot weigh in really, because I have not been part of the testing groups, but I can tell you that if i had a trip planned in the near future, I would be a little nervous. My family goes between the Deluxe and moderate resorts, always goes when there are "specials" and tries to organize a general plan.:I am a pretty patient person and do not mind waiting in lines, but some of the reports I have read here are :eek:, and that is not my idea of a fun trip.

Looks like Disney is testing the tiered functionality. I absolutely think the number of e ticket FP+s will ultimately be tied to resort level at some point.

I am fine with this because I still firmly believe Disney is doing the right thing by upgrading the technology. I don't always stay deluxe and I am not a Disney apologist but I will adapt to the system or stay home.

I am not sure the FP+ will be tied to resort level, but I do think it is going to be tied to onsite resorts. I think that if indeed the resort level is included, it will be way down the road.

Over the past five years, Disney has been dramatically increasing ticket prices without significant additions. A pure money grab. Your extra ticket costs beyond the rate of inflation get you . . . nothing but a colorful band.

To me FP+ will become a victim of Disney's unwillingness to invest in their own parks. Too few attractions that people want to ride resulting in scarce FP availability.

Personally I don't see how Disney can't impose tiered choice at Epcot and DHS because of the lack of quality attractions. The result will be reduced guest satisfaction. How will Disney respond? Higher ticket prices? Close more attractions? Fewer parades?

I think that attractions are what you make of them. Would you want a FP into a show so you did not need to line up an hour early? Or how about a character meet for one of your children?

As to Disney investment into their parks? Well......again, it is all a matter of perspective. If you are not interested int eh new FLE, it means nothing, but I tend to think there has been a very substantial investment. The prices are rising, but I think that everything is going up, so I would expect theme parks to raise prices as well.

I was away from the boards for a couple of days and logged on this morning. It has certainly been interesting reading all the pages devoted to this new change. I am very interested in how the changes are being implemented and the resulting reactions. I expect MM+ and FP+ to be armed and fully operational by my visit in just under a year. It seems my touring strategy changes every month as something new comes to light.

FP+ advance reservations
FP+ limited to three
FP+ limited to one park per day
Reduced availability of legacy FP
CC guarantee for all table service restaurants
1 Top tier FP+ reservation at Epcot out of the allotted 3

Fortunately, I don't have to actually use MDE until my 180+10 window for ADRs and will not download the app to my phone. Still waiting (and reading about) for the bugs to be worked out of that nightmare.

Carry on all of you experienced posters. Your information is invaluable to me.

:surfweb:

Because that $120 hotel room you're paying over $500 a night for will be harder to fill without some FP+ tiered bling to go along with it.

For the amount Disney charges for some of the Deluxe hotels, the rooms DO NOT live up to the price. More like $300 a night rooms not $500+. Look at Universal spend the bucks on a "Deluxe" on-site hotel and unlimited fast passes. Either way its not up to me, but I do see it happing at some point. This plus other ways to use the band and FP+ to make money is not going to be ignored by Disney.

On a side note I would pay more for park admission if it meant lower wait times. Its all personal choice and preference.

I didn't think Disney was having any problems filling these deluxe rooms. If the rooms aren't worth the money, why do people continue to stay in them? :confused3

mom2mickeyfan said:
I didn't think Disney was having any problems filling these deluxe rooms. If the rooms aren't worth the money, why do people continue to stay in them? :confused3

The occupancy of DVC rooms nearly always 95+%. That helps to otherwise pad abysmal deluxe occupancy rates. AKL never kept enough rooms filled. The Villas there, with funds coming from contract purchases and owner's dues, are very significant in keeping that property open.

The values are probably nearly always at a higher percentage of occupancy. Probably POR, POFQ & CSR as well. But I doubt the occupancy rates of the rest of the resorts is anything spectacular. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing something like FD or SPD promotions.

They will overbook some of these promotions at Value properties & then walk guests up. The more expensive resort gets an additional room filled. Disney is still getting *some* money for the room. The guest leaves with the idea that "Disney is amazing!" & they come back.

Nah - not entertained at all. Disappointed there isn't any real information sharing.

First World Problems or not, people certainly have the right to be doubtful and worried about their trips. Only they can decide if the new system will work for them and personally I'm undecided at this time. I will continue to ask questions and discuss and whatever else until I feel like I know something. I'll try to stay positive but I won't hesitate to voice any doubts (or praise).

I'm sorry if this bothers anyone. (Not)

The amount of money and effort that my family puts into these Florida trips makes it very important to me to know what I am getting into. I'm not going to apologize for being disappointed so much is changing, or worried that it doesn't represent a good vacation destination for my family any longer.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but FP+ feels a lot like the Disneyland tickets of long ago. Limited e-tickets. I'm ok with FP+, but the tiered availability is a big step backwards.

I've been thinking the same thing. For me, the vast majority of my Disney visits happened after the "E-ticket" system went away, but before the invention of Fastpasses.

There were no special tickets, and nobody got to wait in their own special line. Everybody waited in the standby line all day, every day.

Funny, I guess we (and hundreds of millions of other people) thought we enjoyed it back then. We thought going to Disney was a magical experience filled with fun and wonder, even if we had to wait in lines. I guess we were wrong...

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but FP+ feels a lot like the Disneyland tickets of long ago. Limited e-tickets. I'm ok with FP+, but the tiered availability is a big step backwards.

The e-ticket approach did not come accompanied by all-access pricing though.

I really hope they tier it for resort levels. If I am spending $500+ a night for a hotel room I want some perks beyond what the person spending $120 a night is getting.
Gotta say I agree with this. Call me a Disney snob, elitist or whatever, but if I'm plunking down $600-$700/night to get a Boardwalk view concierge room, I see nothing wrong with this. It's just another perk. If you wanna save some cash and stay at All Stars or Pop Century, so be it.

We stayed at Portofino Bay in Universal and loved having the front of the line access to all of the rides (except HP) and, I gotta admit, I didn't feel guilty at all walking past everyone else and hopping on the rides.

What's wrong with giving a bit extra to those who spend more? I save $100 on APs every year since I'm a DVC member and I feel like that is a well deserved perk. They've gotten a lot of my cash over the years (a lot of it upfront) and will continue to get more in the upcoming years. Perk away, I say... :thumbsup2

Jim

I've been thinking the same thing. For me, the vast majority of my Disney visits happened after the "E-ticket" system went away, but before the invention of Fastpasses.

There were no special tickets, and nobody got to wait in their own special line. Everybody waited in the standby line all day, every day.

Funny, I guess we (and hundreds of millions of other people) thought we enjoyed it back then. We thought going to Disney was a magical experience filled with fun and wonder, even if we had to wait in lines. I guess we were wrong...

I remember going to Disneyland in the 70s and early 80s as a kid. Those ticket books were a big pain. My all time favorite visits were when we went on Government Employees Day with my dad's work. The park was pretty empty and we had special tickets we wore on our shirts that allowed us unlimited access to all the rides. This was SUCH A BIG DEAL back then! Those visits still rank up there with my all time favorite Disney trips.

I really hope they tier it for resort levels. If I am spending $500+ a night for a hotel room I want some perks beyond what the person spending $120 a night is getting.

popcorn:: your perks are at your hotel. If you don't feel like you are getting your money's worth, then stay someplace else.

"Entertained" is not the word I would use. ;-)

Despite all the MDE, FP+, MB craziness, I am still looking forward to our January trip. I think we'll have fun.

However, I am not only a vacationer, but a stockholder. My concern is that I just do not see where the billions that they have invested will yield returns. For billions, I would expect much, much more. Like a new park. Or at least new amazing rides. Or new restaurants (and I don't mean a lounge here or there where you can grab a glass of wine, but a real new wow experience). I'm just not seeing the ROI on this. And every time they "detract" from the experience, I think about folks like my DH that has to be convinced to go to WDW (we did not go this year, simply because I could not convince him!) and how frequently we will really get to go in the future.

For me it's not about riding Test Track or Soarin' and it isn't for my DH either. We like to spend time in the resort and look at the little details and enjoy the parades, etc. But the kids want to ride the attractions and so we ride them and then leave time for us to do the other relaxing stuff. So if we have to spend more time in lines, it's just not as relaxing or as fun of a vacation anymore.

I think the BTG and the likes will fill the void left by those who do not want to wait in lines, so at the end of the day, maybe my Disney stock won't do too bad. No sense in worrying about it anyway. Disney has clearly embarked in this process and there is no turning back.

P.S. - The whole concept of where to vacation is really a first-world problem. If you don't have enough resources to put dinner on the table or have a safe roof, you are simply not going to be able to spend any time deciding where to go on vacation. But think about the huge leisure travel industry. Think about all the companies that offer leisure travel services, hotels, cruises, destinations, restaurants, etc. Think about all the web discussion forums dedicated to travel. I've participated in many different ones throughout the years with a different focus. WDW is competing against many other more interesting locales than Orlando and unless they can put a superior product on the table, they will not get back the billions that they have put into this.

Gotta say I agree with this. Call me a Disney snob, elitist or whatever, but if I'm plunking down $600-$700/night to get a Boardwalk view concierge room, I see nothing wrong with this. It's just another perk. If you wanna save some cash and stay at All Stars or Pop Century, so be it.

We stayed at Portofino Bay in Universal and loved having the front of the line access to all of the rides (except HP) and, I gotta admit, I didn't feel guilty at all walking past everyone else and hopping on the rides.

What's wrong with giving a bit extra to those who spend more? I save $100 on APs every year since I'm a DVC member and I feel like that is a well deserved perk. They've gotten a lot of my cash over the years (a lot of it upfront) and will continue to get more in the upcoming years. Perk away, I say... :thumbsup2

Jim

At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks.

At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.

At the resort that you pay more for, fine. You get better rooms, better amenities, and best of all proximity to the parks.

At the parks however, I am of the opinion that since we all pay the same price for entry we should all get the same "perks" in the parks.

I concur.

I am entertained by everyone freaking out over MB in general. Things change. sheesh. Just have fun!

I could be wrong, but I thought the original tests were with tiers, and you could only pick one from the "better" tier for each park. Am I remembering correctly? I know it is all still in test, but I thought the tiered system was the intention from the beginning.

Those that say spending more on a Deluxe only entitles us to the room and the hotel amenities better stop using 180+10 ADR, or Disney Transportation , or Extra Magic Hours. After all off-site guest pay the same amount for park admission but can't do EMH. Everyone pays the same for ticket prices right? So no perks for staying on-site no matter the level. If you stay Value your paying for that room and hotel you should have no other perks because your only paying for the hotel. See how the whole "everyone" pays the same for park admission falls apart because Disney already shows they wish to give "perks" to those that spend more.

I could be wrong, but I thought the original tests were with tiers, and you could only pick one from the "better" tier for each park. Am I remembering correctly? I know it is all still in test, but I thought the tiered system was the intention from the beginning.

You are correct that this was once the norm for FP+ testing, but there is no way to know what Disney's original intention was.

Yes. I got to test in May 2012 and it was tiered.

I'm a very "go with the flow" type of person. plus, I've been to WDW many times. It's not all about the rides for me.

Those that say spending more on a Deluxe only entitles us to the room and the hotel amenities better stop using 180+10 ADR, or Disney Transportation , or Extra Magic Hours. After all off-site guest pay the same amount for park admission but can't do EMH. Everyone pays the same for ticket prices right? So no perks for staying on-site no matter the level. If you stay Value your paying for that room and hotel you should have no other perks because your only paying for the hotel. See how the whole "everyone" pays the same for park admission falls apart because Disney already shows they wish to give "perks" to those that spend more.

This exactly.

If you prefer offsite I can see how this would be bothersome, however the list above does lead one to seriously wonder why FP+ advantages wouldn't be extended to on-site guests over those that don't stay on property (tiered or otherwise). Of course, this assumes some version of FP+ will be offered to offsite guests also eventually.

Disney is promoting an "experience" not just a hotel stay or park visit. They are tweaking the business model and it is a huge change. We all just don't know yet once the dust settles if we will be happy with the new "experience" vs what we have come to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter