Is anyone else here still masking at the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a University and have been sick on and off all fall. Just for giggles, I tracked it the other day. Students came to school in September and I was sick within a week. Students went on break in October, came back, I was sick within a week. Students went home for Thanksgiving, came back, I was sick within a week. None of these were Covid- the first two were bronchial infections and the last bout was flu. Except for 2 rounds of covid (one from Florida in Dec 2021, 1 from DH in May 2022), I have been healthy since I started wearing a mask around people. Stopped wearing a mask this fall, and got sick. I know it's probably anecdotal, but I'm wearing a mask from now on when I am on campus, in crowds or stores, public transportation, etc., and I'd definitely wear one at Disney (which I did in early Nov and didn't get sick at all).

We have worn them indoors for all our trips the last 2 years (5 in ‘21 & 2 this year). We plan to wear them indoors & on transportation on our trip at the end of January. Like others, my DH or I previously had always come home with some type of sinus or respiratory infection. Since we’ve been masking, we haven’t gotten sick at all. I stopped wearing masks in stores at the end of summer because our area had low numbers. We were at WDW in early September & were fine. At the end of September I was in the grocery store & several people were coughing as they passed by me. Sure enough, I got a wicked cough that lasted almost a month. Multiple negative Covid tests & no flu symptoms, just a nasty cough that required a steroid & antibiotic after a month. I’ve had some terrible crowded store experiences this last week or 2 with so many people obviously coughing with no ”cough etiquette” or personal space. Our Covid & flu numbers have increased so I am back to masking in stores & sports arenas. We’ll absolutely mask on the plane & in Orlando airport as well as in stores & indoor lines & attractions.

I plan to mask up for airplane travel for the foreseeable future.... I think indoors in crowds I plan to also, not just WDW, but anywhere. I don't care to catch a flu,covid or whatever this winter.... my young otherwise healthy ds is still recovering from 2+ weeks with influenza A and I have no desire to repeat the experience

Went for 9 nights last month and didn’t wear masks and didn’t even take any with us. I saw maybe 1% of people wearing them and that’s being generous. No one cared about others wearing masks. I saw no comments or remarks.

We did not get sick while there or once we got home. We did the usual washing hands after going to the bathroom and not touching hand rails but that’s pretty much it. We didn’t take hand sanitizer with us either. But we haven’t worn masks at home in so long that I think our bodies are used to the bugs by now.

Last edited:

We've been here a week. We've been wearing masks always indoors (except when eating), on transportation, and in crowds outdoors, like in ride queues.

There are some other people doing it, but it's not exactly what I'd call a trend or even a common occurrence. Nevertheless, you should do what you feel comfortable doing.

I wear masks indoors in public places at home, so I was hardly going to change for WDW.

One thing I noticed today at MK: a lot of CMs were wearing masks.

ETA: Bring a lot of hand sanitizer with you. There are very very few hand sanitizer stations anywhere in the parks now, I'm sorry to say. The only ones I've noticed are at the TSMM exit (and it was empty yesterday afternoon) and inside, near the entrance to Mama Melrose's. Other than that--nada. I was very disappointed.
I wonder if Cast wearing masks is because they are recovering from covid. DPH in my state states that people who are symptom free from covid can return to work after 5 days, and they have to wear a face covering for the following 5 days when they return to work (or not isolating). Not sure what FL "rules" are.

My family is all just getting over Covid, three weeks before leaving. But I will still probably mask on the plane and indoors because of Flu and RSV that is going around, at least for the first half of the trip. Nothing worse than being sick at WDW and it isn't a big thing to do to decrease risk.

I wonder if Cast wearing masks is because they are recovering from covid. DPH in my state states that people who are symptom free from covid can return to work after 5 days, and they have to wear a face covering for the following 5 days when they return to work (or not isolating). Not sure what FL "rules" are.

Florida rules .... :rolleyes:

"There is not strong evidence that facial coverings reduce the transmission of respiratory viruses. Businesses are advised to no longer require facial coverings for employees, as there is no proven significant clinical benefit for facial coverings among the general population." ~ Florida Department of Health.

My guess is they are wearing them so they don't get sick and have to either take sick days or not get paid at all. And remember, you're not just wearing them for Covid, but also for the flu and cold.

I think there are probably a few reasons for people wearing masks besides recovering from Covid. Each reason personal - perhaps they are high risk if they do catch it. Some might have high-risk people they live with, but they still need to work and make a living, so they take the extra precautions. Perhaps they woke up with a cold and didn't want to be coughing over people. And perhaps you're right - they are recovering from having Covid and following the guidelines to returning to work. Many different stories and reasons, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter