Is a car service better ...?

JerseyKate

Earning My Ears
In less than two months :yay: our flight arrives MCO approximately 11:15PM. We are contemplating a car service to the POFQ and bypassing the DME.
Has anyone ever come in late and used the DME? How long did it take to get to your resort?

We'd appreciate feedback, opinions, etc .... Thank you!!

You're going to have to get your own luggage. What that can mean is getting your baggage, going back up to level three, schlepping your luggage to the opposite corner of MCO then going down to level one. Flying Southwest? A car service will avoid that hassle.

In less than two months :yay: our flight arrives MCO approximately 11:15PM. We are contemplating a car service to the POFQ and bypassing the DME.
Has anyone ever come in late and used the DME? How long did it take to get to your resort?

We'd appreciate feedback, opinions, etc .... Thank you!!
A car service would definitely be faster that time of night.

Normally, for arrivals between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., the extra time that DME can take (waiting for the coach to be dispatched and potentially going to a couple of other resorts first) can be balanced by not having to wait for your bags at baggage claim.

However, with an arrival at 11:15 p.m., you have to go baggage claim in either case.

With a car service, you would be on your way quickly after you have your bags and the driver retrieves the car. Of course, the driver doesn't stop at other resorts. With DME, you still have to rely on the timing and the route of the DME ride.

My only late-night DME experience involved a quick departure on an nearly empty DME coach, followed by 3 resort stops before finally arriving at my resort. It was a long trip. I don't recall exactly how long, but it was probably more than an hour.

DME could take anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes longer than a car service that time of night, with the average probably somewhere in the middle. A car service will take around 40 minutes after you have your bags. DME could take anywhere from 50 minutes (best case) to 100 minutes (worst case) after you have your bags.

Of course, a car service is also more personal, private, and luxurious.

How much is the time and the service level worth to you?

I would use a car service that late at night.

Granted, I only have one experience flying into MCO and using ME that late, but it wasn't a good one. Over 2 hours from landing to standing at check in at my resort. And that was when they did still get your luggage for you!

Nope. If we ever fly in again that late I am getting a towncar.

Thank you DIS family. I was leaning toward a car service but now there are no second thoughts!! Your advice is always so much appreciated.

If you are going to a Disney's resort then Magical Express is better although you may have your own preferences that preclude using DME.

There is the requirement of making an advance reservation but if your plane is late then DME is still there to take you. You don't have to use the six dollar a minute Airfone in the seat back to let DME know you will be delayed.

You don't have to use the six dollar a minute Airfone in the seat back to let DME know you will be delayed.

I have not seen an Airfone in years, so I doubt that is even an option anymore.

The good car services monitor your flight status and don't rely on the scheduled arrival time, so they SHOULD adjust accordingly and be there when you arrive even if the flight is late.

My one late night DME arrival was very efficient. We grabbed our bags and were put on a bus that left quickly with no other guests on board and, obviously, went straight to our resort. YMMV.

I have not seen an Airfone in years, so I doubt that is even an option anymore.

The good car services monitor your flight status and don't rely on the scheduled arrival time, so they SHOULD adjust accordingly and be there when you arrive even if the flight is late.

My one late night DME arrival was very efficient. We grabbed our bags and were put on a bus that left quickly with no other guests on board and, obviously, went straight to our resort. YMMV.

Good point regarding Airfone and the importance of giving your car service your flight number. Remember to call them if your flight changes, bumped or earlier flight.

Depending on your airline you might have schlep your bags to the opposite corner of MCO. You also have greater uncertainty as to the number of stops and how long you'll be waiting for a bus.

Southwest passengers who use a car service, with checked luggage, will probably be halfway to their resort in the length of time it will take to walk over to the DME area with luggage.

DW and I have used Mears Transportation (town car) many times in lieu of DME. Its very nice to have your own car, especially after a long day of traveling. It's also kind of cool to see a driver with your name on their board when you come down the elevator. ;) That sort of thing doesn't happen everyday for me so it adds to my vacation a bit.

There are other reputable transportation companies to use in Orlando, so find the best price for you, but Mears has always done a nice job for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter