Is $766 Worth it to Stay at a Value?

What about if you do a split/stay? We have done this in the past. First 4 days at Sports and then 2 day at the AKL on days we weren't going to the parks and just relaxed.

I would stay value in a heartbeat for that savings. I have only stayed at French Quarter for moderates. there are hot tubs at the moderates and not the value but in the summertime I don't want to be in a hot tub anyway. The restraunts onsite don't seem to be a benefit to me because I want to eat in the park anyway. I do like the boat to Downtown Disney at French Quarter (this is actually why we stayed there twice) and the resort is quieter than the values, but the values have some great things that the moderates don't.

I think the value hotels are brighter/happier than the moderates. More Disney icons at the values. This appeals to kids more.

I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference in the room sizes even though I know they are bigger at the moderates. Didn't feel any bigger to me when we stayed at French Quarter.

And I actually prefer the bus services at the values. I like the chained off lines there so you don't feel like you are in the middle of a stampede where everyone is trying to get on the bus like it happens at the moderates. This is a big selling point for me for the value hotels. I hate waiting patiently for a bus at the moderate bus stops only to be left standing on the bus because a million people who arrived at the stop after me shoved their way to the bus opening when it got there. super annoying!

Pop century has the goofy splash area. I don't think the moderates have anything like that.

For that much money, speaking for me and my family, we would switch to the value.

We had only ever stayed in moderates or deluxes and I was very hesitant to trying a value a few years back. After staying at POP, we wish we would have stayed there previously and saved money.

Yes, the moderates have more amenities, but on our January POP trip, we really didn't stay at the resort much to swim, only 1 1/2 days.

If it was my choice I would spend the money and stay in the mod. The values have always struck me as overcolored Motel 6's. In the words of J. Seinfeld " not that there is anything wrong with that" but for me I know I would not be satisfied and I would be critical of everything. It's just not my style. The " smart" part of me tells me that I could have a great stay there but the emotional part says " shut the front door, there is no freaking way"

I like to cruise, and I like to cruise with a balcony room..and even better if it is a suite. I will not cruise ever again without a balcony, even if it was a free cruise..I value it that much.

Some people are fine with an inside room as they say "you aren't in your room a lot anyway " but the way I look at it is the room is part of the experience too...an important part.

Really, it's up to what is worth it to you and at what price. You probably will not regret spending the extra money if you have a great hotel stay but you may regret saving it if you are not happy with your choice.

For me, it depends on the purpose of the trip. I have stayed at 3 of the values (multiple times), 3 moderates (multiple times) and 4 of the deluxes. If it were a special occasion and I was not going to the parks much, I would splurge on a nicer resort. Otherwise, I would save the cash for something else. I am headed back to one of the values next time since I will hit the parks hard. I am looking forward to it! ;)

wvasweetness said:
For us - yes. We stay at Value and use the $$$ otherwise. We're never at the room - only to sleep - anyway, so it's not worth it for us.

Totally agree! Save your money. we love the values!

that make no sense..:confused3 double is plenty room for 2 adults. What are you 7'5? and 550 lbs?

Ok. That wasn't nice.:crazy2:

I am 5'4 and hubby is 6'1 and both of us are on the thin side. There's no way we would be comfortable sleeping in a double bed even for one night.

Well.....since you are asking this question, I would stick with a Value. Have stayed at Mods in the past and I do like them, I just don't like them $800 more, lol. If the difference was half that amount, than I might consider it,

There is nothing wrong with the value resorts - I tend to stay there more as the savings can be used to further our Disney experience!

I would stay Value. Although I prefer POP Century to the All Stars.

If you want something extra for "couple time", spend the money saved on a nice dinner or a spa treatment.

My DH and I stayed at POP after our last DVC stay for a couple of extra nights. And yes, POP was a step down from AKL but it was fine and we were able to enjoy a few more Disney nights. One night we ordered in a pizza, piled up on the bed and watched the football game.... now that was a first.

I have always worked nights and he has always worked days (we do it for the benefit of our family) so for us, we just enjoyed being together and it didnt matter where it happened.

Is it worth it? I guess that really depends on how you plan on using the resort. If you are a park commando who gets up early for rope drops and doesn't return until late into the night time hours from EMH and only need a room to crash your head at night, then it may be well worth saving the $766. If you are someone who enjoys relaxing a little by the pool, sitting in a hot tub after a long day, enjoys the beautiful landscapes with a leasurely stroll, and likes a queen size bed for the night, then the extra $766 is well worth spending to have those amenities outside of a value. For me, those amenities are an essential and I will pay to have them. So in short, there is no right or wrong answer here, it depends on the individual. :goodvibes

that make no sense..:confused3 double is plenty room for 2 adults. What are you 7'5? and 550 lbs?

Sorry, I am 5'11" and less than 160 lbs, my DW is 5'4" is not heavy (but for my health sake I won't mention weight, LOL) and a double bed is absolutely, positively, and without a doubt uncomfortable for us. Glad it works for you, but it won't for me. ;)

How much time do you spend in the room? If its just to sleep and rest I would say its fine. If you like enjoying the resort itself for as part of your vacation over just the parks i would go moderate. Either way its Disney and it will be a good time.

For me, it depends on the purpose of the trip. I have stayed at 3 of the values (multiple times), 3 moderates (multiple times) and 4 of the deluxes. If it were a special occasion and I was not going to the parks much, I would splurge on a nicer resort. Otherwise, I would save the cash for something else. I am headed back to one of the values next time since I will hit the parks hard. I am looking forward to it! ;)

That is how we decide too. If we will be in the parks all day long, a value resort is just fine. If we want some time at the resort to relax and swim, then we stay at a moderate resort.

Thank you all...this is sooo hard to decide!!

Keep the opinions coming please!

I stayed at Pop Century during my last stay- I had 5 month old and 4 yr old at the time. The room was too small for a pack n play, a stroller, and a 4 year old jumping around! The walk to the bus stop and cafeteria was almost unbearable! On our next trip tho April we decided to spend the extra $$ for some perks of a moderate - more than one bus stop - better beds - a table service restaurant on site - and a nicer pool! If you have older kids - and will really "just sleep there" why not save the $$.

Next trip you need to look at a resort map and request room locations that works for your family. I've "been there" with kids and I know about the walks and all the extra stuff you need for youngsters. I always made requests and must say got 99% of them. The Moderates are just as spread out as the values.Just with more square footage::yes:: Enjoy the planning !

I like the values. I think that all of the All Stars are about the same nice wise, but you'll probably get varying opinions on that.

I think it depends what is more important to you - would you rather have a bit more spending cash with fewer amenities (sit down restaraurant, boat to DTD), or would you prefer more amenities.

We're almost never in our room, so values are great for us. My kids love the themeing, but now that we are a family of 5 we're heading to POR. If I head back with just 4 or less at any point, I'll go right back to the value.

It's just your preference. If you're in the room/at the resort more, I'd go with the mod. If you're not going to be there at all, I'd go with the value.

I haven't read all the replies, but I agree with this. We stayed at Sports in June '11 and found it really clean and cute. {CLEAN is HUGE for me. Give me small and fresh over big and musty ANY day.} I haven't stayed at Music or Movies so I can't speak to them specifically but for the amount of time we spent in our rooms, it was great. I *think* the Sports rooms had been recently updated. We stayed in the building closest to the big pool and the lobby/restaurant (I think it's called Surf's Up). It was great to have such a short walk to everything but did get a little noisy at night.

My feeling is that if you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, splurge. But if you plan to be in the parks or DTD or at various ADR's, use the $800 somewhere else.

**ETA**
We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn (deluxe - Club Level!) the year BEFORE staying at Sports, and I still found lots to like about Sports... but again, we basically slept there, rested there in the afternoon, swam in the pool a few times, and showered/dressed there. Otherwise our trip was all about exploring the rest of the World.

bizeemom4 said:
Ok. That wasn't nice.:crazy2:

I am 5'4 and hubby is 6'1 and both of us are on the thin side. There's no way we would be comfortable sleeping in a double bed even for one night.

Lol. I'm 5'2" and DH is 5'11" and we sleep in a GASP full size bed!!!!! Every night!!! The horror! Hahaha. One day we will get our king!

To the OP we stay value when we are on a budget trip and we love it. We would rather go to disney and stay value than not go at all. Our value of choice is Asmu. We love it there! Once we actually got pixie dusted to a family suite! We are not fans of POP at all. The beds are rock hard. Never again.

We love in-your-face-Disney, so for us, the Values works best. But we stay in a suite, so it does makes a huge difference.

We love the extra space, so next time we go (in 4-5 years) we will just rent a house offsite, as we're planning to go to Universal too (kids are too young right now).

Sorry, I am 5'11" and less than 160 lbs, my DW is 5'4" is not heavy (but for my health sake I won't mention weight, LOL) and a double bed is absolutely, positively, and without a doubt uncomfortable for us. Glad it works for you, but it won't for me. ;)

Fair enough

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter