Is $2 a day a good tip or is she gonna spit on my pillow?

scanne said:
I usually tip $1.00 per person/per day. I also tip about $2.00 if I request turndown service.

We are staying at the GF in September and I believe that turndown is standard for all guest rooms there, so I may tip a little more in the morning and then, depending if we're back in the room or not, I may not leave anything for turndown. Does anyone know if the mousekeeping staff that cleans rooms in the am also do turndown before their shift ends or is it a different mousekeeper?? :confused3

:wave: The mousekeeper you have for turndown service will be different than the one who cleaned the room. We always leave another tip in the evening if we are in the room between cleaning and turndown service. Sometimes the rooms aren't cleaned until late afternoon, and we're not always there before turndown service.

ReneeA said:
I didn't mean that we left the room looking like a garbage dump. :rolleyes: I meant that she would have to do a quick vacuum around the room and all the trash cans were full, but no trash laying on the floor. My DH was doing alot of studying by himself away from the room after the kids went to bed, and I didn't feel comfortable leaving them alone for even a second after they went to sleep. My DD is not a good sleeper and it would be just like her to escape if I stepped out for a few minutes.

Not that I should have to answer to anyone here, but I guess after all these years here, I should TOTALLY expect it. :guilty:
I don't think you should have to justify your actions either, you were more honest than most. I do not think that every Dis poster is as immaculate as they like to portray themselves.

Maid service is there for a reason, to clean up after you and to take out your trash, that is built into the cost of your room. If you choose to tip, that is your choice not a requirement.

Just my 2cents - I personally thought your post refreshing and honest. :thumbsup2

Wendy1953 said:
Why don't you try teaching the kids at this young of an age that leaving messes is not the way to be????? You can always take the garbage to the pails they have by the elevators, and ice machines, teaching cleanliness at a young age will do them good......for instance...okay you carry this bag of garbage while we're on our way to get sodas, the bus to MK, AK, MGM, Epcot...once deposited in a trash can say thanks, good job. Explain that leaving food remains in the room can cause bugs, rodents, etc. and thats why we'll take it out..being on vacation with a maid to make your beds, give clean towels is a bonus, but leaving a mess in your living space is unacceptable. "Please sit at the table while you're eating crackers, it makes too many crumbs while you're walking around." "Mickey and Minnie prefer guests that clean up after themselves." I am certainly not Ms. Suzie Homemaker....but there are limits, and if you know you're family is messy...leave exra $ for the maids, they certainly deserve it. I suggest a daily tip, as the staff at Disney is quite big, and the shifts change often....the maid on Monday may not be the same as the maid on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday...tip by day and the amount of mess you leave.

Those are great tips, but I don't think ReneeA meant for her comments to be taken so literally. I took her comments as meaning that because she had a 2 and a 3 year old in the room that the room got messier than if it was a room without a 2 and a 3 year old.

We stay for 11 days. So before I leave I put in my carry on bag 11 envelopes with $2.00 in each one. Every am I pull one out from the safe and put it on the table. It is so easy and I tend to remember to tip then. I heard the rule of thumb is $1 a day per person. I leave our room pretty clean so I think the tip is big enough. My dh isn't a big tipper so he would have a heart attack if I tipped $5.00 daily. HA! Enjoy!

We always forget to tip, so we usually left a nice size tip every several days. But after reading these really awesome tips, I was inspired! I just sat down and made myself a little graphic on the computer and printed them out on an envelope for every day of our trip!! I thought I'd share! I'm getting so excited for our trip in September!

DSCF1517.jpg

p.s. With the kids and it being our vacation from too much work, our rooms are always messy! I'll join the messy room club!! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter