• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is $2 a day a good tip or is she gonna spit on my pillow?

Lila95 said:
I think my tooth brush will be in the wall safe along with my envelopes. I want to be safe incase I didn't tip enough ;)
They keep a master key for the safes just for those who hide their toothbushes. :rotfl:

Add me to the $1 per person per day, envelope stuffing, tipping daily crowd.

:)

For CONNECTING rooms, we've always left one tip covering all people, though we were not at Disney any of those times.. We also leave the connecting door open, so housekeeping has a good idea that they're dealing with ONE party, really.

If the rooms were only adjoining, and not connecting, I think I'd tip in each room, just to be safe.

mickeyfan2 said:
They keep a master key for the safes just for those who hide their toothbushes. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

we're also in the daily tipping, enveloping stuffing group ($1 per person for my family of 4).

GrandFloridian4 said:
I am confused. :confused: Does everyone here tip after every day on a trip? Or am I missing something about everyone's trips here?

Whenever we stay at a resort/hotel for more than one day, we always tip at the end of the trip & then we typically tip per person per day - generally $1.00 to $2.00 per person. If we're only there one night, we tend to lean toward the $2.00 per per/per day because we know they have to (we assume) totally re-do the room changing sheets, etc., where they may not have to do it on consecutive nights.

I thought that I was the only one that did that too, until I read your post. I have never had a problem getting extra towels, soap ect., in all the times I've stayed in Disney being that I didn't tip daily only at the end of the stay. However, you got me thinking about the toothbrushes ................

I'm staying at the Poly GVC. I'm only tipping $3 a day. But they will be in those cute little envelopes with Mousekeeping on it

I usually tip $1.00 per person/per day. I also tip about $2.00 if I request turndown service.

We are staying at the GF in September and I believe that turndown is standard for all guest rooms there, so I may tip a little more in the morning and then, depending if we're back in the room or not, I may not leave anything for turndown. Does anyone know if the mousekeeping staff that cleans rooms in the am also do turndown before their shift ends or is it a different mousekeeper?? :confused3

When we stayed at the WL last month, I left $3.00 per day - I didn't count my DD, although I will on all future trips. I also left the tip in cute envelopes I printed out with Disney characters on them. On the envelope it said from________. I put "your friends in room 4004." We got towel animals every day! I don't know if it's b/c I tipped, b/c of the envelopes or just because we had an AWESOME mousekeeper! But it was so cute getting the towel animals. We hadn't received them on any other trip. It was a nice touch! I don't expect them, so it was nice to get the cute little surprises each day.

At WDW, NYC, and other nicer hotels we leave $1 per day per person. We leave it every morning because the staff often changes, especially on weekends/weeknights. We are very neat hotel guests.

We give extra tips to those who go out of their way, even if not housekeeping, like once the manager of the free breakfast room where we stayed a week and was very good to us.

Some places I may only tip $2-3 total, if the hotel doesn't merit it or the room is barely cleaned. We actually kept leaving a tip at a rural motel and they would never take it. So on the last day I left a larger tip and hoped they finally took it as we were gone......

ReneeA said:
Last year I only left $2-3 a day depending on what I had on me, and my room was a mess. :blush: My kids were 2 & 3 - we are talking crumbs everywhere and garbage cans very, very full.

She always left a thank you note and towel animals on occasion, so I am thinking that was ok with her. I don't know that very many guests tip at all.

This year I am hoping to leave for $4-5 a day.

Why don't you try teaching the kids at this young of an age that leaving messes is not the way to be????? You can always take the garbage to the pails they have by the elevators, and ice machines, teaching cleanliness at a young age will do them good......for instance...okay you carry this bag of garbage while we're on our way to get sodas, the bus to MK, AK, MGM, Epcot...once deposited in a trash can say thanks, good job. Explain that leaving food remains in the room can cause bugs, rodents, etc. and thats why we'll take it out..being on vacation with a maid to make your beds, give clean towels is a bonus, but leaving a mess in your living space is unacceptable. "Please sit at the table while you're eating crackers, it makes too many crumbs while you're walking around." "Mickey and Minnie prefer guests that clean up after themselves." I am certainly not Ms. Suzie Homemaker....but there are limits, and if you know you're family is messy...leave exra $ for the maids, they certainly deserve it. I suggest a daily tip, as the staff at Disney is quite big, and the shifts change often....the maid on Monday may not be the same as the maid on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday...tip by day and the amount of mess you leave.

I think tipping anything is better than nothing. We usually leave $1/per person/per day. Besides spitting on your pillow is so amateur, I am sure that they have more sinister tricks up their sleeves if you don't tip. :rotfl: J/K

kvogel11202 said:
We leave $2 per day, before I even leave home I put the money in envelopes pre printed for Mousekeeping. I do this for my parents too. That way, we leave the money each morning, we aren't fumbling around trying to find the right amount, and everyone is happy. :smooth:

We printed the envelopes from www.themouseforless.com/ and had them ready too. There are 4 of us and we tipped $5/day and before we left each morning we would get an envelope out of the safe and leave it. We didn't seal the envelopes either because on days when we got towel animals I tipped a couple of extra bucks and wrote the mousekeepers a thank you note.

zuzu310 said:
Besides spitting on your pillow is so amateur, I am sure that they have more sinister tricks up their sleeves if you don't tip. :rotfl: J/K

So true, but don't forget that servers/cooks have AMPLE opportunity to spit on your food...sad to say, with many years in the food service industry, I've seen it done more than once - and no, NOT by me!!!

We left a dollar per person which was 3 dollars a day for the 14 days we stayed. Our room was immaculately clean from the start and continued so and the way the towels, etc. were arranged was a lovely treat to see each evening when we returned. The doggy toy made from a facecloth and decorated with sparkly stickers was amazing! My daughter cherished :cheer2:

We too, leave $2/day. I print out the Mousekeeping Envelopes prior to leaving and put the money in them. When we leave in the morning I usually leave the envelope on our vanity mirror where the sinks are. I also type out a note to leave that says "Mousekeeping, feel free to take whatever we leave behind" This is for items that we do not bring home. We have a car and always go to the grocery store and purchase like water, juices, snacks, etc. and we always have leave items behind. In order for Mousekeeping to be able to take the items you MUST leave a note or it gets tossed.

ReneeA said:
Last year I only left $2-3 a day depending on what I had on me, and my room was a mess. :blush: My kids were 2 & 3 - we are talking crumbs everywhere and garbage cans very, very full.

She always left a thank you note and towel animals on occasion, so I am thinking that was ok with her. I don't know that very many guests tip at all.

This year I am hoping to leave for $4-5 a day.

When we stayed at ASMo 4 years ago, they made animal towels for us too(about 2 - 3 days into our stay) When we requested extra towels, etc., we got it right away with a smile .................and we didn't tip until the last day of our stay (one lump sum) So, I don't think that it matters how much you tip, tip at all, or save it until the end whether you will get good service or not..............remember it's DISNEY :)
Btw, we always leave the room VERY clean each day. They basically only have to make our beds and refill towels and toilet paper.

Wendy1953 said:
Why don't you try teaching the kids at this young of an age that leaving messes is not the way to be????? You can always take the garbage to the pails they have by the elevators, and ice machines, teaching cleanliness at a young age will do them good......for instance...okay you carry this bag of garbage while we're on our way to get sodas, the bus to MK, AK, MGM, Epcot...once deposited in a trash can say thanks, good job. Explain that leaving food remains in the room can cause bugs, rodents, etc. and thats why we'll take it out..being on vacation with a maid to make your beds, give clean towels is a bonus, but leaving a mess in your living space is unacceptable. "Please sit at the table while you're eating crackers, it makes too many crumbs while you're walking around." "Mickey and Minnie prefer guests that clean up after themselves." I am certainly not Ms. Suzie Homemaker....but there are limits, and if you know you're family is messy...leave exra $ for the maids, they certainly deserve it. I suggest a daily tip, as the staff at Disney is quite big, and the shifts change often....the maid on Monday may not be the same as the maid on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday...tip by day and the amount of mess you leave.

I didn't mean that we left the room looking like a garbage dump. :rolleyes: I meant that she would have to do a quick vacuum around the room and all the trash cans were full, but no trash laying on the floor. My DH was doing alot of studying by himself away from the room after the kids went to bed, and I didn't feel comfortable leaving them alone for even a second after they went to sleep. My DD is not a good sleeper and it would be just like her to escape if I stepped out for a few minutes.

Not that I should have to answer to anyone here, but I guess after all these years here, I should TOTALLY expect it. :guilty:

zuzu310 said:
spitting on your pillow is so amateur, I am sure that they have more sinister tricks up their sleeves if you don't tip. :rotfl: J/K

Another plug for DVC!

Last year I forgot to bring envelopes to leave the tips in, and as a result, the mousekeepers never took the tips I'd leave every day. I figured on the last day she HAD to take what I left!! I'm going to tip $5/day this year and I'm going to start pre-stuffing envelopes this week.

Since my DD8 is very creative I am putting her in charge of the Mousekeeping envelopes. I will let her use markers, crayons, glitter, stickers...whatever she chooses, and create some masterpiece envelopes. This will be a great way for her to feel like she's contributing to the planning process and an even better way to teach her to show appreciation for someone who works "behind the scene" to make our trips magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter