Ireland: The Emerald Isle Meets Thread

Just checked the weather forecast for Dublin. Rethinking my clothing items. Next ten days shows highs mostly in the high 50's. Of course it could change but I'm thinking of layering more just in case. Warmer clothes means heavier clothes. Need to do a trial run of my luggage weight.

Getting closer!

We did the same thing. Our bag for Dublin is already OVERFLOWING! Not a good sign. We are usually light packers but we underpacked for our cruise so I am trying to reach a happy medium with this one.

I've packed pants/pullover sweaters, etc.

Great news.. the weather has moved into the 60's so looking nice so far.

Spoke w/ABD this morning. Wanted to know if they knew about our guides yet so I could plan the proper tips (euros or dollars) and looks like (unless it changes last minute) we'll have 2 US guides. Kelly & Kristen! :shamrock:

We are leaving from Munich this morning (after our wonderful Germany ABD) and will be in Dublin in hours. :-) I wish everyone safe travels.

While waiting in the passport line at Dublin airport I met one our fellow adventurers. He had just been on the Scotland trip. We checked into the Westin and our room wasn't ready so they asked if we could wait and enjoy a complimentary beverage while we waited. It only took another 30 minutes and our room was ready and our luggage was already in the room. We were upgraded to a 'deluxe' room, bigger than the others I guess. My DD and I unpacked a bit and settled in to the room. We asked the concierge where a good place to find some Irish food was and he directed us to the nearby Gallagher's Boxty. DD and I shared some soda bread (so soft and yummy) and some cream of tomato soup. Also had 'Cottage pie' with beef and pees and mashed potato crust and Irish stew with lamb, carrots and potatoes. We shared everything and it was delicious. Then we stopped at the supermarket across from the Westin to get some goodies and water. See you all very soon.

While waiting in the passport line at Dublin airport I met one our fellow adventurers. He had just been on the Scotland trip. We checked into the Westin and our room wasn't ready so they asked if we could wait and enjoy a complimentary beverage while we waited. It only took another 30 minutes and our room was ready and our luggage was already in the room. We were upgraded to a 'deluxe' room, bigger than the others I guess. My DD and I unpacked a bit and settled in to the room. We asked the concierge where a good place to find some Irish food was and he directed us to the nearby Gallagher's Boxty. DD and I shared some soda bread (so soft and yummy) and some cream of tomato soup. Also had 'Cottage pie' with beef and pees and mashed potato crust and Irish stew with lamb, carrots and potatoes. We shared everything and it was delicious. Then we stopped at the supermarket across from the Westin to get some goodies and water. See you all very soon.
Oh, man, that all sounds delicious! I *really* love soda bread!

Sayhello

Our ABD Ireland trip has officially started. I was seated next to HollyH and her family for the welcome dinner so got to say hello. Tomorrow we will be released as a group to find adventure in Dublin!!

Our ABD Ireland trip has officially started. I was seated next to HollyH and her family for the welcome dinner so got to say hello. Tomorrow we will be released as a group to find adventure in Dublin!!

Enjoy this next adventure!!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hello,
we are getting more excited about our upcoming trip....
anyone coming?
I am a mom with three kids (girls ages 10,9, and boy 7)

Hi there, I'm booked on the ABD Ieland trip in 2014 and can't wait to hear from all of you after your return! Hope you all have a wonderful time. Please share details of your trip.

Karen

Hi there, I'm booked on the ABD Ieland trip in 2014 and can't wait to hear from all of you after your return! Hope you all have a wonderful time. Please share details of your trip.

Karen

Today was our first full day. Did a quick ride about the city on the Viking Splash and then a short tour in the river as well. Went on to see the Jeanie Johnston replica immigrant ship and learn history re: the famine in the 1840's. The ship was in place of the Dublin Castle as the castle was closed for some type of government election. Boarded our motor coach to the Guinness Storehouse where we had lunch. The big favorite was the Guinness beef stew. We then toured the storehouse and had free time of about 45 minutes to check out any of the exhibits further, get a free pint of Guinness or shop in their large souvenir store. My DD and I went to the top floor, the Gravity Bar, for the beautiful view of the city. At 3pm we regrouped and headed back to the hotel. For those who wanted the guides would get admission into Trinity Colleges exhibit of the Book of Kells and the Long Room Library. Most of the group wanted to do this so we had time to run up to our rooms, use the bathroom, drop items off and then we went into Trinity College which is just 1 minute walk from the front of the Westin hotel. My DD loved the library the most. No photos at all allowed where the book of Kells is on display and only photos with no flash are allowed in the library. The viewing area for the Book of Kells was crowded and the lights are low so it was hard to get a great look at it. It was still amazing how well preserved it was and to think of the time and effort put into it!! Our guides met us back in the hotel lobby if we would like directions or dinner suggestions as dinner is on our own tonight.

Karen
Let me know the dates you are booked for, and who is in your party, and I'll add you to the Roll Call in the first post! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

I am getting very excited for our trip, next week! Anyone else on the July 13th trip?
How is the weather there this week? Trying to finalize my packing :)

The Killarney Park Hotel where we checked in today on the 4th of July has nicely decorated a portion of their lobby and serving free cocktails and canapés. So sweet of them to put up red, white and blue accents for us Americans.

The Killarney Park Hotel where we checked in today on the 4th of July has nicely decorated a portion of their lobby and serving free cocktails and canapés. So sweet of them to put up red, white and blue accents for us Americans.
That is very cool! Hope you're having a smashing time!

Sayhello

DD and I had a wonderful time and were sad to say goodbye to the Emerald Isle this morning. We are now in JFK with a couple hours until our flight home and reviewing pictures and journal notes. Will be back to post a trip report with pics so sayhello if you see this please :-) pm me with any tricks I should know for getting my trip reports up on the DIS correctly. Thanks.

We just booked for the Aug. 12th 2014 Ireland Date. Hopefully we get to meet a few others that are going on the trip with us. It will be myself, DH and our two DD's 17 & 15 at the time of travel.

Going on the Adults Only trip this Sept. I see no other DISers have signed up.

Re: backpacks- We still have ours from the first Taste of Tuscany trip years ago. My husband carries it to work. It is still in great shape. Super sturdy! So now they have different ones that are flimsy & basically useless? When I think of all the free advertising my husband has given ABD lugging that backpack (& wearing the free hat), it makes me wonder what value ABD is getting out of gifting a product that will end up in the trash bin.

Re: First Day gifts- The added touches are one of the reasons I went with ABD. Without them, they are one step closer to being like the other tour companies.

But I will save any further judgment on these issues until I return from Ireland. Can't wait!

My friend and I will be on this September trip. Our first ABD, and her first trip abroad. We are thrilled to be joining! +55

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Ireland with ABD in 2012/2013.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Ireland The Emerald Isle ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Ireland ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:
Current:

Jul 23 - 30, 2013 - couture1 & her 3 children (girls 10 & 9, and boy 7)
Aug 3 - 10, 2013 - sleevesend (Mary) & Terry (50ish) and daughter Sarah (18)
Sep 14 - 21, 2013 - carolinadj & DH
Jun 21 - 28, 2014 - tufbuf & ??
Jul 1 - 8, 2014 - Bobo912 & son (?)
- Jack'sGirl5 & DD (15)
Aug 12 - 19, 2014 - BrennaM, DH, DD (17) & DD (15)

Previous:
Sep 15 - 22, 2012 - Moosysmom & sister
- sdgarre1 (Sarah)
Jul 2 - 9, 2013 - DH & HollyH & DS (26) & DD (22).
- Kim (kmc33), DH, DS (13)
- JacksGirlz & DD (15)
-acndis, DH, DS (5), Dad and his friend
Jul 13 - 20, 2013 - emesmom & DD 12

Sep 14 - 21, 2013 - Kathi & Louise (+55)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter