• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IPOD Help Please!!!

2mickeys1minnie

<font color=red>we've turned into that same crazy
Ok - I bought the $29 shuffle and there seems to be a problem w/ my pc. Apparently the usb drives are not working - I checked w/ gateway and I need some sort of chipset upgrade that is not available.....I have no idea if that is really even the problem. Anything we try to use involving a usb cable doesn't work. So here is the problem....DH really needs an ipod for his second job overnight - he is going crazy. Is there a way to download songs to the ipod from another source - like a cd player or something. I am totally new to the ipod thing so I really dont' know much about it. ANY help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!:goodvibes

Nope, you need the computer and iTunes to get the songs on to the iPod...

Your computer should have usb ports in the front and the back of the computer. Did you try both areas?

I did try all the usb ports on the computer. I was on the phone w/ the gateway tech for over an hour. We tried everything. Strangely, my camera works in one usb port. We switched that out and tried that port but nothing will work. I am so frustrated!!! The computer won't recognize the usb for some reason. The tech said I need some kind of chipset upgrade from Intel that is not available yet???? That just doesn't seem right to me but oh well.

I am NOT a computer expert but DH says you could buy a PCI-USB card for 20-40 dollars if someone you know knows how to install it. Apparently it's a card that make the computer think there are more USB drives?
He says this is an example:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=529089

This isn't one he recommends specifically, just the first one that came up on a search of CDW.com

Thank you MrsKlamC! I will look into that....I guess I'm just confused how adding more usb drives would help though:confused3 ...I have a ton on my pc already and they aren't working so why would adding more do the trick?? Hmmm...I guess I'm not too good with these things LOL.

He says the ones that you have are controlled by the motherboard and that's where the incompatibility is. He says the new ones would be controlled by this card, which would then be wired to the motherboard...Don't know how much that helps,cause it'd be way out of my comfort zone to try to install the card on my own...good luck!

That would make sense - because the gateway tech said the update I needed did have something to do w/ the motherboard. Thanks alot! I am going to give it a try. I'm off to run to compUSA or Office depot - hopefully they'll have one of these. I appreciate your help:)

Does the iTunes program work? I had the same problem with my computer (Dell) My ipod would not be recognized in iTunes. For some reason the computer kept thinking I was adding another hard drive. When you plug in your ipod under "my computer' to you have another drive that appears? I found some help on the apple ipod help page.
Hope this helps.

Hi MrsKlamC - Not yet. DH has been working 80 hrs/week. Haven't had a chance to get the card yet. He is off tomorrow so the plan is to try and resolve it then. Meanwhile he has been taking a sad little am/fm tuner to work with him to try and listen to something:( He is not a happy camper! I'll let you know how it works out and thanks again to you (and DH) for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter